recording levels for Samson C01U condenser

Author
jbeblow
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2008/12/10 10:47:49 (permalink)

recording levels for Samson C01U condenser

Hi all, I am new to this forum, but have been reading through to find a similar problem I am experiencing.

Have bought the Samson C01U condenser mic and have not been able to adjust my recording levels high enough to get adequate recording (using Sonar LE). I go to control panel and 'sounds and audio' and can select the 'samson usb mic' as the default 'recording audio device,' but cannot adjust the volume ('wave in' I believe), as it is greyed out. Any suggestions to why I would not be able to access the fader?

I also tried running the Samson Softpre to be able adjust gain or low pass filter, and although it shows up on my computer, I cannot open it? (likely a separate problem)

5 Replies Related Threads

papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: recording levels for Samson C01U condenser 2008/12/10 11:04:27 (permalink)
    Check out the link below. There might be some helpful info.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1810

Regards,
    Papa
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: recording levels for Samson C01U condenser 2008/12/10 12:01:24 (permalink)
    j.. I use a c03u..

this question has been asked a load of times in the LE forum also.. maybe someone could make it a sticky there *cough * hint ... ahh well

in xp.. go into errm volume level.. off entertainment.. then switch it to the samson.. change it to recording properties at the top , you can change it then.. reason why it's greyed out is it's a mic (input device) and not an output one.. if memory serves you can use the gain on it also.. although it picks up things far away once set up correctly.

also in sonar you have to run it in MME mode, just incase your using another sound card which has asio.. since on it's own it's classed as a device

dcastle
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2623
    RE: recording levels for Samson C01U condenser 2008/12/10 12:09:58 (permalink)
    Greetings Joe,

There are 3 different ways to adjust the volume: Windows Volume Control, Advanced Properties, Recording Software. In the most sensitive setting, even a whisper at a couple of feet is recorded as a full-scale signal and conversation from across the room is heard very clearly. At reasonable sensitivity settings, it is very clean with no background noise whatever.

Regards,
    David

ASUS M3A78 AMD 9950 Quad 2.6G 8GB
    Shure • Rhode • Audio-Technica • Allen&Heath GL2200-24
    MOTU 24i • Presonus Firepod • E-MU 1212m • Zoom H2
    SONAR 2XL-8PE • Sound Forge 1-9 • Audacity 0.1-1.3
    jbeblow
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: recording levels for Samson C01U condenser 2008/12/10 13:44:15 (permalink)
    Thanks Fog, I have tried that route, but when i select 'samson usb mic' as my mixer device in the drop-down box, to adjust for recording volume
    (vs. SigmaTel Audio), there are no volume controls displayed in the dialogue box?

Sorry about repeating what has been done, but perhaps I am missing something obvious.

cheers

J
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: recording levels for Samson C01U condenser 2008/12/10 13:47:04 (permalink)
    jbeblow , nah it will come up as a samson input.. NOT the sigmatel.. that is something totally different , your onboard card.

you need to select that card in the volume properties for recording , as it normally will default to the sigmatel AND show "playback properties" , there is an option to change that to recording properties + samson.. it will give you the option to pick the samson , then go into the properties for that

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

if you have an audio editor, you can adjust in that also. errm just select the samson as the input and there is a slider for the volume in that and I'm not sure BUT I think that also changes the windows volume also

you have read this of the samson site also >

Using the Samson C01U with Cakewalk Sonar 4 (Windows)

1. Plug in the Samson C01U to a USB Port.
    2. Open Cakewalk Sonar.
    3. Go to Options.
    4. Go to Audio.
    5. Go to Advanced.
    6. Under Playback and Recording, select Driver Mode MME32 Bit and click OK.
    7. Click on the Drivers tab and Highlight the Samson C01U under input drivers.
    8. You will be prompted to restart the program because you switched drivers. Click OK.
    9. After restart, you will be prompted perform a test because of the new driver selection. Click Yes. You will see a screen saying (Analyzing 1 in 1 out). When profile successful, click OK. And the program will open.
    10. Select either a new project or open a existing project.
    11. On the left side under input select, click to select (1 in, 1 out) the Samson C01U as an input source.
    12. Select Left Samson C01U.
    13. Once you click Input Echo on that channel you will see (Meter) and hear the Samson C01U. You control the volume with the channel fader.

http://samsontech.com/products/productFAQs.cfm?prodID=1810&brandID=2
    post edited by Fog - 2008/12/10 13:59:54
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1