recording tracks in mono vs stereo

Author
mtgonzalez
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 249
2011/04/13 18:09:33 (permalink)

recording tracks in mono vs stereo

when you record a track do you record it in mono or stereo? I've been recording my stuff in stereo and then panning it left or right during the mixing process. what are you doing and why? advantages and disadvantages

Win 10 - 64-bit - Intel Core I5 3.3GHz 
1TB HD 500 GB SSD - 8GB Ram - 7200RPM
X3 Producer & Sonar Platinum
www.mtgrecordingstudio.com

28 Replies Related Threads

danbob
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/13 18:37:18 (permalink)
    Well, my rule says that if it's a mono source, I record in mono, and vice versa.

Eg vocals (which are pretty much always dry) are mono: I've only one mouth.  Dry bass and guitars are mono too.  

Guitar that's been through my FX processor (which is stereo out, to take advantage of reverb effects etc) will 
    be stereo, as it's now a stereo signal.  The piano patches from my Juno (which I love) are stereo (which aim to reproduce a multi-miked grand) and so they go in as stereo.  Same with my hammond patches, and most synth sounds.  Clean synth leads might be mono, depending on the patch.

Drums are less consistent.  If I used recorded real drums, each mic would go in mono, as there's only one source.  If my Drum Synth was putting out dry sounds, they'd go in mono too, to reproduce the 'single source' feel.  If it was a partially-processed sound with reverb etc from the synth, then it would go in stereo.

So, the bottom line is that I try to keep the nature of the source in mind.

My 2c, for what it's worth.

daniel

mtgonzalez
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/13 19:41:49 (permalink)
    when you record in mono which side (Left or Right) are you selecting?

mtgonzalez
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/13 19:46:36 (permalink)
    Question: in the track view if the track has two audio wave files in a single track vs. one audio wave file in a single track does that mean that the track with two audio wave files is stereo or mono?
    post edited by mtgonzalez - 2011/04/13 19:52:10

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/13 20:25:16 (permalink)
    mtgonzalez

when you record in mono which side (Left or Right) are you selecting?

The one that corresponds to the input I am recording from
    danbob
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/13 20:28:01 (permalink)
    If it's a true mono source, then it doesn't matter which input I select (L or R).  They will both be the same.  If you are seeing a difference between L and R on your signal going in, then it is probably a stereo source, and I'd usually record in stereo.

Re your second Q - if you can see two waveforms in a single clip then it is stereo.  One is the L channel and the other is the R channel.  Don't get confused between this and having multiple clips in the one track (layered).

chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/13 20:33:38 (permalink)
    the two track in your one track view are actually two seperate mono tracks..a left and a right..when your panning your guitars..as i do too..use the left input..so you just have one mono track..something to keep in mind is the way you are doing it puts extra taxing on your cpu..you might as well be recording 40 tracks if your only recording 20 with dual mono.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Beggars Bridge
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 82
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/14 10:05:41 (permalink)
    Hi fellers

Can I take this discussion a step further?  I've been recording and mixing stuff for my own band, and it tends to be all in mono - vocals, guitar, banjo, mandolin etc, all recorded through a condenser microphone. 

I have had no formal training in doing this and have pretty much taught myself and stumbled through on my own, so I don't know if I'm doing things right or wrong, to be honest, but when I mix down I tend to double track the instruments that are present throughout a song (usually just an acoustic guitar in our case), panning one track 100% to the left and the other 100% to the right, to give it a nice wide spread of sound.  I also found out - by mistake - that if I nudge them slightly out of phase with one another it enhances the spread and gives the impression of having two guitars playing, one left and one right.  Again, I don't know if this is the way to do it, but it makes for a better and fuller sound, at least to my primitive ear.  It seems to have a better effect than merely converting the mono guitar track into a stereo track, which I am able to do with my Cool Edit software (I don't know if it's possible to do this with Cakewalk too?).

I tend to leave the main vocal as a single track, sat right in the middle of everything, but do the double tracking thing with backing vocals (also nudging them slightly out of phase to give a wider spread).

When it comes to mixing down and mastering, I used to mixdown into a mono WAV file, but soon realised that it sounded better by mixing it as a stereo WAV file.  However, I'm not sure that this is the right way to do it. 

If I want to get a nice end mix with a good spread of sound left and right, is this the best way to do it, or should I forget the double-tracking and just mix it all down to a stereo file?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/14 11:23:34 (permalink)
    Yes, double tracking will give you a nice wide sound from your instruments, and as you've discovered, nudging one cloned track relative to the original, then panning them will get you some way towards this.

However, in my opinion and experience, there is absolutely NO substitute for actually recording the thing twice and paning the resulting 2 tracks L/R.

I've read that certain highly regarded Metal producers will record guitars as many as 5/6 times per side to get 'that' sound.

Setting up a double track this way will not only result in timing differences, you'll get pitch variations, timbre variations, and many people will go to the extent of using a different microphone for each take, and for guitars, using different pickups, amp settings, mikling a different amp speaker, even using a different amp are all viable options.

You might not want to go HARD L/R, sometimes as little as 20% L/R can produce magical results

For mixdown unless you're doing something fancy, you should be mixing down into stereo.

I thoroughly recommend This Book for anyone involved in mixing, newbies & veterans alike.
    post edited by Bristol_Jonesey - 2011/04/14 11:24:52

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Beggars Bridge
    • Total Posts : 82
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/14 11:32:06 (permalink)
    Cheers Jonesy.  Much appreciated.  I'm delighted to see that my "discoveries" are not so wrong or unusual after all!  I'll give the multi-recording idea a go.

mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/14 16:58:49 (permalink)
    Just because a source is mono does NOT mean you can't make a nice stereo (pseudo stereo - not really true stereo) recording of it that works well in context. The more you understand, the more you can play with the rules to your advantage.

Take for example an electric guitar, where you mic the amp. Mono source. Correct? Correct. But we find in this song of ours, it is going to panned around 50% to the left. All good. We record a mono track. It sounds good at 50% L but just sounds really narrow. ONLY exactly at that 50% point. Turns out not much else is going to be happening around there and you want it to really engulf the entire left hand side, leaving space for the vocals in the middle. We happen to have two mics, a condenser and a dynamic. What I might do, is record the amp with TWO mics. I won't go into the details of phase here, but just make sure they are in phase when you do this! Nudging in SONAR post record is acceptable. Now, condenser is a little brighter, dynamic is not so. So we decide to pan the condenser at around 80%L and the dynamic at around 20%. Now the guitar still sounds like it is at 50%, but it's position is more vauge. It fills out the space much more effectively, filling in those empty gaps but also leaving space still for the vocals in the middle. The brighter condenser at the outside enhances stereo perception, whereas the dynamic in close fills out the sound.

Similar methods can be attempted with multiple recordings, but will get a different effect, which may or may not be what you are looking for. Reverb and delays can also be used to achieve a similar purpose but may not work in context of the song.

There are so many techniques out there guys, it's all about learning them and when or not to apply them. I don't like to work on the rule of mono source - mono output. Although you can't really make a technical 'stereo' recording, pseudo stereo is always a possibility for some interesting results. But again, it ALWAYS depends on the song.

I have used this technique alongside multitracked guitars in a chorus to give me a nice wall of sound and I feel it works very well! I really love this one and really like to use it a lot - when the song allows it.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

danbob
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/14 18:44:35 (permalink)
    Yeah, Matt, that's a good example.  In this, I suppose you're still recording the condenser and the dynamic mics as two mono sources though?  I suppose my point was mono source, mono record - and then with FX or with playing around as you have, stereo output from a few mono recordings can sound awesome.

But, as you say, there are a stack of techniques, and it always depends on the song.  That's why we read and post here, isn't it!

munmun
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1319
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/15 10:54:57 (permalink)
    I avoid recording anything in stereo just to avoid phase issues.
    mtgonzalez
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/15 12:12:51 (permalink)
    Another thing I notice was that my mono/stereo interleave button is defaulted to "highlighted" stereo mode. When I selected a mono input and recorded the sound the track only comes up on one side. Last night I recorded some vocals to a mono input with the interleave button in mono status WOW what  a difference. I feel lame that this whole time I've been recording my non-stereo tracks in stereo. It should be interesting to see how much the CWP files well decrease in size. I did notice when I copied and pasted the vocals into another track it does have a phasing sound. I used my melodyne celemony essential to create harmonies and pitch corrections as we'll as panned the harmony track to the right 50%. This help a bit with the phasing sound. I might add a nudge to it to see if that helps out in any problem areas.

codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/15 12:52:45 (permalink)
    I've skimmed over the posts and didn't see this mentioned, but I apologize if I just missed it.

Recording a mono part in stereo takes away proper panning capabilities.

With a stereo track, the pan control really just becomes a balance between the left and right side. You are merely turning down the side that you are panning away from (ie: pan to the left, turns down the right side, giving you an illusion is it panning).

With a mono part recorded in mono - your panning can pinpoint an exact position in the stereo spectrum, and provides the most control

For this reason, I never record stereo, even with a stereo instrument. What I do in that case is record the the left/right channels to their own mono tracks. Then I have full control of the panning. Hard left/right has the same effect as recording stereo, but you are not stuck with it!

Just my 2 cents.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    Rasure
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 584
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/17 09:13:08 (permalink)
    I have a question if thats OK? its kind or related to this topic. I always try to keep my track mono compatible, now my question when using a softsynth like Omnisphere most of the patches are quite stereo indeed, now what Ive been doing is making sure each track is mono compatible is this the right thing to do? or can I leave individual tracks as they are and just make sure the whole complete song through the master bus is just mono compatible? in other words make sure the phase is correct on the master bus only rather than individual tracks? if that makes sense?

[ASUS Z97-K 3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4590]
    [16 Gig Ram]
    [NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 Ti 1920 X 1080]
    [Windows 10 Pro x64]
    [Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime]
    [Studio One 4 Pro]
    [Notion 6]
    [Waves Mercury + Abbey Road & SSL Collection V10]
    [Mackie Onyx 400f]

YouTube | 10% Off Waves | Rasuresphere II Omnisphere Library & Midi Stems
    edjay
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 162
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/17 09:35:36 (permalink)
    mtgonzalez
    what are you doing and why? advantages and disadvantages

I started out a couple of years ago recording my vocals and trumpet (separately) in stereo; thinking that it would make the sound "bigger" or broader. After following threads on other forums, I tried them in mono and found that they occupy a much more prescent space in the mix. I found stereo on each of them made them softer and not as vibrant - I may look at that again as a particular effect for another time?

As for now: Mono for mono source, stereo for stereo generally.

edjay
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/17 10:02:17 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

I thoroughly recommend This Book for anyone involved in mixing, newbies & veterans alike.

Thanks, I'll bookmark that for the future: I got Bob Katz's "Mastering Audio" I think it would have been better to get a mixing book first - just waiting on website books turning up at the moment. Tips iawn - Diolch boi!

edjay
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/17 10:04:35 (permalink)
    mtgonzalez

I might add a nudge to it to see if that helps out in any problem areas.

Is this "nudging" moving it forward in time slightly to fatten the sound?

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/17 15:32:34 (permalink)
    Your audio interface should offer both stereo and mono inputs. If you pick a stereo one the interleave button should go to stereo. If you pick a mono one the interleave button should go to mono. So, from a recording perspective, what drives it is what input you select as the recording source.

If your interface doesn't offer a mono input, I would say it's not really doing what it should. Typically the way it works is that you will see something like:

Analog 1 Mono
    Analog 2 Mono
    Analog 1/2 Stereo
    Analog 3 Mono
    Analog 4 Mono
    Analog 3/4 Stereo
    and so on... I.e. each pair of inputs will be offered individually, and then as a stereo pair. Is your audio interface not making those types of choices available? If it only offers the pair, then it's doing you wrong because you can never actually record mono tracks.
    post edited by droddey - 2011/04/18 19:27:28

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    meadowman
    • Total Posts : 216
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/18 07:35:18 (permalink)
    If I don't click on 'interleave', the sound is thin and just on one side. If I select 'interleave' the sound is on both sides, it sounds better to me, plus I can adjust panning if I want to. So this is a stereo track, even though I'm using one mike?

meadowman

'My mixing produces mixed results'

http://www.youtube.com/meadowman2007
    mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/19 00:29:38 (permalink)
    meadowman

If I don't click on 'interleave', the sound is thin and just on one side. If I select 'interleave' the sound is on both sides, it sounds better to me, plus I can adjust panning if I want to. So this is a stereo track, even though I'm using one mike?

If you use one mic (or one direct connect) for your amp or whatever, you've  captured mono.
    There's no need to record this other than a mono track. The same thing on both sides is mono even if it is a pair of wave tracks. It will sound the same except for possibly if one is even slightly louder- it will (generally) sound better'.. in a number of human ways to discribe it. We're easily fooled in these respects.

To record that to a stereo track- you've only told the recorder (DAW) to record the same thing to a pair of connected tracks..
    and wasted twice the file size.

The distinction is Content vs. the paths.

The same thing on both sides is-- Mono.
    Period.
    add..
    ".. Another thing I notice was that my mono/stereo interleave button is defaulted to "highlighted" stereo mode. When I selected a mono input and recorded the sound the track only comes up on one side. .."

But this part I don't get. And per what Roddery said abpve, when I select a mono record input, brand new audio track with interleave stereo, I get a mono (single wave) track. This isn't just 'cause the pan control is set over to one side?
    'Cake says roughly.. Interleave is to force a stereo track path down to mono. Unless I'm mistaken it doesn't define the track mode.

post edited by mixsit - 2011/04/19 00:49:56

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME
    mtgonzalez
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/19 13:23:55 (permalink)
    But this part I don't get. And per what Roddery said abpve, when I select a mono record input, brand new audio track with interleave stereo, I get a mono (single wave) track. This isn't just 'cause the pan control is set over to one side?
    'Cake says roughly.. Interleave is to force a stereo track path down to mono. Unless I'm mistaken it doesn't define the track mode.

I think what happen is that the project i was working on was created in a template that had NO master bus. Don't know why I used that template. When I created a new project with the default template w/Master Bus, the interleave automatically is in a mono status when I select a mono input track

Side note: I tried creating my own project template but it doesn't show up in the template selection when creating a new project. I check the folder that hold the other templates and the one i created is there. Any idea how to add it to the template selection?

post edited by mtgonzalez - 2011/04/19 13:25:11

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/19 13:51:15 (permalink)
    always record mono sources as mono.

there's almost nothing that's stereo.

even 2 mics on a leslie, isn't really stereo....

even drum overheads are well placed mono sources

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

mtgonzalez
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/19 18:45:18 (permalink)
    I downloaded Wavosaur for WAV to MP3 conversion..wow that app is robust...looks like I'll have to join another user forum!?!?

mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/19 23:57:18 (permalink)
    mtgonzalez

Side note: I tried creating my own project template but it doesn't show up in the template selection when creating a new project. I check the folder that hold the other templates and the one i created is there. Any idea how to add it to the template selection?
    Could be just terminology and just a long shot, but you don't select 'new project to use a template, rather 'open (from existing) templates?

post edited by mixsit - 2011/04/19 23:59:59

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/20 08:38:24 (permalink)
    Late to the party.... lots of good advice up above.

I always consider the instrument I'm recording... if it's a mono source I record it mono. The side (R/L) doesn't matter. It ends up centered in a mono track. Totally pan-able R or L as needed.

If the instrument is truly a stereo output, I do record it stereo.

With huge hard drives, this is not so much an issue today as it was when I first started recording. A stereo track uses twice the HD space as a mono. Back in the days of much smaller HD's this was valuable real estate that we needed to conserve. As a result, I went for mono unless stereo was an absolute must.

All the little tricks with panning and doubling are valid techniques to accomplish some "studio magic" with the sound. I use them from time to time. Generally I try for a balanced mix..... what happens on one side of the stereo field should have something equally interesting happening on the other side.

On a mix down, I always mix to stereo. mixing to stereo should not weaken the robustness of the sound. If it does, you have something else going on that needs to be fixed.

my 2 cents
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/04/20 08:40:55

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/04/20 10:15:40 (permalink)
    Arrangement is often important to me when I decide.

For instance.  I do like the sound of an acoustic guitar miked up MONO, with two performances...one full left, and one full right.  This works well in many instances, and quite often in a pretty full arrangement.

BUT...many times, if it's just something simple...like acoustic guitar and vocal only....or in an arrangement that's not filled up 10 other instruments, I prefer to mic an acoustic in stereo....say one on the body panned full left, and another on the neck panned full right.  In this case, with the guitar miked very closely, the things that are going on with the left hand .vs the right hand are different enough that a full L/R panning will actually give a pretty nice feel.  Like you're sitting directly in front of the player - between his hands.  You're also getting a lot of room info, which of course, arrives at each mic in it's own time....so if you balance the two volume-wise, it can fell pretty natural, but wide enough that you don't feel like you have to do any double-tracking or any reverb/delay tricks.

I often find this doesn't work well with a mix that's got too many other things fighting for sonic space.

As far as live drums goes.  I stopped doing any sort of stereo miking there altogether.  I use a mono overhead now days.  No one complains.  All the other drums, mono of course, panned where they belong in the mix.  However....I absolutley require the drum room to be miked in stereo....for the same reasons listed above.  Ambient sounds will travel the walls at different speeds, depending on the rooms and mic placement.  This adds to the space of the recording.  It's hard to get a great sounding drum kit without great sounding room tracks.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    MP3ISTHEDEVIL
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re:recording tracks in mono vs stereo 2011/05/15 20:28:01 (permalink)
    Hello

I realize it has been over a month since the original posting of this. And nearly the same since the last.

I do feel a bit obligated however to un-muck the waters as they be.

True per track stereo can be achieved by.

1) Stereo mic - A microphone with a pattern 180* opposite each other with a null center.

2) M/S recording and decoding - Using two mic' the first being a cardioid pointing toward source. And a figure-eight 90* left so that the two are perpendicular to one another. And so that the source mic (cardioid) sits exactly in the null spot of the figure-eight allowing both direct and indirect signal to be decoded by the M/S matrix. Adding in phase and subtracting out of phase signal to produce L/R stereo image.

Stereo mic' have there niche with overheads area/room mic'ing etc. but would not be effective or practical for any direct, or proximal applications for obvious reasons.

M/S recording and processing is a powerful way to manipulate stereo signals. Often used by mastering engineers to pull things out of a mix, or enhance certain aspects the stereo field.

At the end of the day track everything that is close, proximal, or direct using mono.

I say this for a multitude of reasons of which I have no wanting to delve into now.
    But for the most part the over all flexibility using multiple mono signals to create depth, and width of field using short delays, phase reversal, and having more precise control when panning.

There is copping tracks as well. But I strongly suggest against it. Two separate guitars takes playing the same bit panned against each other sounds 100% better 100% of the time.

Tread light in the land of comps, and nudging because it is littered with booby-traps, and pitfalls.
    Comb filtering, phase relation amongst like tracks as well as the entire mix just to name a few. 

If you fill strongly against tracking more than once at least use a short delay on one of the two twins rather than pushing the physical signal down tempo.

I gotta growler   If I remember anything else and fill like typing rather than creating Ill drop back in.

Hope this helps someone,

MP3ISTHEDEVIL      
    post edited by MP3ISTHEDEVIL - 2011/05/15 21:47:16
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1