recording yamaha styles and voices in sonar

Author
mik
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2007/11/19 09:48:22 (permalink)

recording yamaha styles and voices in sonar

I have a Yamaha dgx 620 keyboard and I am considering purchasing Sonar 7 ( as opposed to Reason 4 ) as I have heard it provides a better interface for recording midi.

My question is could anyone please tell if I would be able to record the full performance data from the instrument ( eg both the voice and importantly the styles ( the background rythme track ) used in the track ) and if I could how can this be achieved. My friend has Sonar 6 and we havent been able to sort it yet.

Many many thanks for any advice help offered

4 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: recording yamaha styles and voices in sonar 2007/11/19 11:10:08 (permalink)
    short answer YES - any sequencer will record audio from any instrument that produces audio output. as long as that is your true question, you simply connect the output of the dgx up to the input of your soundcard, select the input of the soundcard as the input for the track, arm the track and record, then play your styles/performances into the sequencer as audio.

if you're asking if it will send MIDI data to Sonar - then that's a different question and one that can't be answered directly by anyone who doesn't own the same keyboard as you do. it's completely dependent upon the keyboard and whether or not it will send all of the MIDI data to the sequencer or not and is completely independent of Sonar. I'm certain that it will send MIDI data on notes being played, but not all keyboards will send style MIDI information and if it does, you have to figure out from the keyboard's manual exactly how to accomplish it. most will, but not all.

but also if that's what you're really asking, then there's more to the question than that. you're not going to be getting the SOUNDS of the keyboard that way - only the MIDI data. whatever softsynth you use is what sound you get. or you can record MIDI and then send it back out to the hardware synth and route the audio back into sonar to get those sounds also.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    mik
    RE: recording yamaha styles and voices in sonar 2007/11/19 19:21:04 (permalink)
    thanks for that. So basically I assume your saying that in order to approach the sound I want to capture I would be better hooking up the keyboard to the sequencer via the phones out / line in sockets and recording the whole thing as audio.

Sadly as with many so many of the handbooks these days the one for the dxg620 is virtually unreadable when it does ( briefly ) touch on this subject. However I will persist in my efforts.

Many thanks for your answer and taking the time and trouble to answer.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: recording yamaha styles and voices in sonar 2007/11/19 21:02:39 (permalink)
    yes, if you want the actual sounds of your keyboard you have to record audio from it, not MIDI, or you can record MIDI, but then to get the sounds of the keyboard, you have to route the output of the track back to the keyboard MIDI input and then send the output of the keyboard to sonar on an audio track input.

does your keyboard not have a LINE OUTPUT - maybe even a STEREO LINE OUTPUT? that would be better than the headphones output.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    mik
    RE: recording yamaha styles and voices in sonar 2007/11/25 09:48:49 (permalink)
    hi again..

no the keyboard doesnt have line output so Im afraid it has to be the jack socket..having tried this the soud I capture is less than satisfactory as it is top heavy with base and unpleasantly distorted ( Im using Audio Gold to record )

so its back to the drawing board

again thanks for your reply

regards
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1