re-mix - "Jamie's Sarrow"

Author
groveendroad
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 809
2006/11/17 12:27:53 (permalink)

re-mix - "Jamie's Sarrow"

I wrote this song with my sister in mind. She always has advice about about a lot of things. That's not a bad thing, just a fact. I'm sure we all know some one that likes to give advice, right?

This is a re-master of Jamie's sarrow 

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_12207425

Cheers, Terry

P.S. Did McCartney and friends rock on the closing show on Sunday or what!!!

post edited by groveendroad - 2012/02/17 11:02:46

22 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2006/11/17 13:41:55 (permalink)
    Nicely constructed song, good melody over tasteful piano. Very distinctive vocals as usual.

One question - what does 'Sarrow' mean?

James
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2006/11/17 15:21:46 (permalink)
    HI, Groveendroad

It's great to see you back with a new tune. Very nice. I really admire your straight ahead, clean arrangements. Did I say before, I had the same Davey Jones hit when I first listened to your Sound Click page? Interesting tonal quality which really is something like his.

English teacher time again--lol--Um, I think you mean "Sorrow"--yes? Another one to fix up before you present this to a music publisher, if that's what you want to do.

Thanks!

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2006/11/17 19:31:29 (permalink)
    Grove, I've liked every one of your songs so far. It's eerie how much your style reminds me of a guy I used to play with, the piano arrangements and vocals. I think your brief solo could be a little more out front. You surely evoke John Lennon, and how could that possibly be bad?
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    chasekh
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 874
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2006/11/17 23:24:34 (permalink)
    Hi groveendroad,beautiful song.Double tracking can be more tight.Very melodious song.Simple and attractive.
    R.Chandrasekhar

Q9450,DX38BT mobo,17"&15"lcd sony,8gb ram 1333MHz,(512Mb),828 mk ii audio,Win 7(64) home premium.SONAR 8.5.3 Producer
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2006/11/17 23:56:54 (permalink)
    Hey Grove - you know, with all those hundreds of forum names, it is almost impossible to remember them all right away, right? However, as soon as your song started I remembered your voice. This in turn made me remember your last tune which I really liked!
    Anyways - another great tune, well done - with lots of ambition and emotion, great piano playing - and, man - I repeat myself: Great voice!
    Thanks
    Heinz.

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2006/11/18 08:18:01 (permalink)
    Hey, groveendroad.

Nice tune. very Beatles sounding to it. excellent piano. the synth is light and airy, very nice touch to this song. The vocals seem a little awkward during the bridge (2:10). Just MO. The drums sound little dry - do you have any reverb on them? the piano sounds like it's got just enough reverb, the vocals you've processed, so reverb isn't even really necessay unless you want it, the synth sounds a little dry, too, but it's so light and airy in the background, that it's not bad that way.

what instruments did you use for this? did you use a keyboard and record audio? that's what it sounds like to me and it sounds like you might have used FX on the keyboard instead of plugins from CW. Not a bad thing if you did, but you can get better quality sounds out of some of the FX in CW that in some of the keyboard FX.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    groveendroad
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2006/11/18 21:35:34 (permalink)
    You wrote "The vocals seem a little awkward during the bridge (2:10). Just MO". I may be to close to my song or something. I don't hear the problem. Please let me know what you're hearing. The drums don't have any reverb. Also I have no reverb on the piano. I play a Alesis keyboard QS8. I don't use any FX. I'm not sure how to do any thing other then record.

groveendroad
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2006/11/18 21:37:23 (permalink)
    I need to spell things right, it should have been "Jamie's Sorrow"

groveendroad
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2006/11/18 21:42:25 (permalink)
    I'm working on the mixing problems. I mix using my head phones. The mix sounds good, but when I play in my car it doesn't sound as good. I'm not a big fan of mixing yet. I just love to record. I think I may be getting better.
    groveendroad
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2006/11/18 21:47:29 (permalink)
    You got me again on the vocals. you said "Double tracking can be more tight". I'm never sure what it will sound like in the end. Was it in the first line of the song and in the chorus, or just in the chorus?
    groveendroad
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2006/11/18 21:54:21 (permalink)
    Heinz, Thank you once again for your kind words. When I'm not at work, I am working on music. It's always good to hear from you.

I wish you the best.

P.S. I'm working on a song "This Dream" right now. I hope to finish it soon.
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2006/11/18 23:22:36 (permalink)
    That's good to hear! I can hardly wait to hear it
    Btw, the song I am working on right now is called "The Dream". Funny, eh?
    Good luck
    Heinz.

rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2006/11/19 01:12:51 (permalink)
    Hello again, Groveen

I got an automated mail on this thread, since I always check the "notify me" box--and I wanted to throw some things in here.--OH, first I should say, good deal that you're changing the spelling to "Sorrow."

There was feedback about the vocals seeming awkward at 2:10--That got me curious, and I had to listen again. That's one of the John Lennon moments, but to me it's coming off fine. I'm not sure what that feedback meant really.

But then you said:

"...The drums don't have any reverb. Also I have no reverb on the piano. I play a Alesis keyboard QS8. I don't use any FX. I'm not sure how to do any thing other then record."

And in another post on this thread, you said you're not a fan of mixing yet.

OK, I'm here to encourage you to get into the production process more. You're writing good songs which have a unique personality to them. Inspired by late '60's stuff, but still new sounding, and all that is good. You're even better off than most song writers since you're able to sing your songs well also. All pluses.

Now you Gotta gotta gotta find out what the deal is with FX. It's really not that big of a deal. No need to go crazy trying to Learn It All. Just use the FX that come with your Cakewalk program for now. You have the tracks in the sequencer, right?--Now, just add reverb to the drums, piano, vocal. Instantly will sound more professional and polished. It's not a matter of being gimmicks--those effects, especially reverb, are what make synth generated tracks sound more natural. The synth piano you're using is "dry" in a way a real piano could never be. Add a bit of small room reverb and it'll suddenly be more believable. Drums are played in a room, it's impossible for them to be as dry as you have them--add the reverb, and suddenly they're sounding more like an actual drummer playing in a room.

Your music will just be that more impressive. And to use the most basic FX in the simplest way is So not difficult. It will take you literally a few minutes to figure out.

Mixing is what makes good tracks sound Fantastic or just average. Right now, we enjoy hearing the essence of your music, but most people would realize it's not quite sounding right, even if they couldn't explain why. It's because you haven't Produced your recordings.

I predict that once you start doing a bit more with producing your music, you'll get excited, and realize it can be almost as much fun as writing the music in the first place.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2006/11/19 07:05:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: groveendroad

You wrote "The vocals seem a little awkward during the bridge (2:10). Just MO". I may be to close to my song or something. I don't hear the problem. Please let me know what you're hearing. The drums don't have any reverb. Also I have no reverb on the piano. I play a Alesis keyboard QS8. I don't use any FX. I'm not sure how to do any thing other then record.

groveendroad - I apologize, I should have said that the LYRICS make the bridge sound awkward to me because of the way you have to sing them. Again, it's just my opinion, and others may feel differently - like randy - that's OK, if you like them the way they are then you are the artist - go for it. If it were me writing this song, I'd try to make that area a little "cleaner" in its cadence.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    JCEE
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2006/11/21 21:11:23 (permalink)
    Nice tune, inspiring voice... Thanks for sharing. Also... great advice from previous treads...

My Songs

S8PE, Win XP pro, Intel E8500, 4GB DDR3, 2x750GB HD 7200rpm, E-MU 1820, Roland Midi Controller, Frontier Design Tranzport and Alpha Track, M-Audio DMP3...
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2006/11/22 00:46:40 (permalink)
    I agree with Randy's comments.

I think some parts could be "tightened up" a bit. And just a touch of reverb or delay here and there would open things up and provide a bigger and more polished sound. A little more "space" would add a lot, I believe.

I like it though. My first reaction was ah... this is Beatle-ish. Which is a good thing!

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

groveendroad
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2006/11/22 13:21:38 (permalink)
    To rbowser and ,Beagle I enter reverb on drums and vocals. I'm not a big fan of Sonar reverb, so I didn't put much on.

to beagle, I did bring up the synth a bit. maybe to much.

to beagle, I re-did the bridge, (2:10) vocals. chasekh
    Silver Member

to chasekh, I tight up the vocals. I feel best about this work.

to Dave King, I did tightened up" a bit. And I used just a touch of reverb.

I posted the new "Jamie's Sorrow about the first one"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=431867
    sandman5000
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 882
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2006/11/23 01:26:41 (permalink)
    I liked this a lot. I liked the drums (the little rolls on the snare where nice) and the piano was really cool too. I liked the chorused doubled up voice. It works well. Pretty groovy tune.
    groveendroad
    RE: New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2012/02/15 13:34:36 (permalink)
    Dave King

I agree with Randy's comments.

I think some parts could be "tightened up" a bit. And just a touch of reverb or delay here and there would open things up and provide a bigger and more polished sound. A little more "space" would add a lot, I believe.

I like it though. My first reaction was ah... this is Beatle-ish. Which is a good thing!
    Back than I didn't like to use reverb at all. here it is with reverb
    Better letter than Never, Here it is http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_12026883

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_12026883
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2012/02/15 14:29:41 (permalink)
    Hi Terry,

Just my opinion, but bumping a 5 year old thread for a re-master makes for really odd reading, especially when the title says 'New Song'

Why not just start a fresh thread?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2012/02/15 15:35:00 (permalink)
    This is a  most unique song, especially with your singing style.  It's not far from being polished.  I just listened to the new mix with the reverb, and I think it sounds fine to me.  Whether you like mixing or not, you've done a pretty good job, and your arrangement is good.  I suspect once you get more experienced at mixing, you may discover that it's a very satisfying art form in itself.  All in all, nice job. 

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    groveendroad
    Re:New song - "Jamie's Sarrow" 2012/02/17 11:06:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for the ears Lynn.  I gave it a bit more work. I left the first one just below it
    @ http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_12207425

This is a  most unique song, especially with your singing style.  It's not far from being polished.  I just listened to the new mix with the reverb, and I think it sounds fine to me.  Whether you like mixing or not, you've done a pretty good job, and your arrangement is good.  I suspect once you get more experienced at mixing, you may discover that it's a very satisfying art form in itself.  All in all, nice job. 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1