request: Add sound category to .ins files and make it searchable

Author
bluesplayer
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
2016/06/10 22:11:50 (permalink)

request: Add sound category to .ins files and make it searchable

I don’t; think I've ever seen this as a requested feature (haven't seen it and I've  been using CW since DOS).
When you have a lot of synths - VSTi's and external HW it would sure be nice if the Sonar .ins files and the Master.ins had a column for sound category (maybe 8'ish characters) e.g., A.pno, E.pno, strings, bass, a.synth, d.synth, percus., FX,   etc. and that these categories could be SEARCHED & FILTERED on across each synth ( as defined in master. ins) or better yet ALL synths in the master.ins with indicator to which synth it was in - and make that search/filter a SEPARATE menu/utility item?

As we accumulate synhs and plug-ins, even when we all have our favorites all set aside and set into user patches and banks - we can FORGET other sounds we may want from time to time.

Thanks

4 Replies Related Threads

jpetersen
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1499
    Re: request: Add sound category to .ins files and make it searchable 2016/06/11 06:25:00 (permalink)
    Good idea!

The place for features and ideas is here...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Features-Ideas-f76.aspx

...where it can slowly drop down the list allowing new features to appear in Sonar with the claim "We Listened" but which nobody requested.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: request: Add sound category to .ins files and make it searchable 2016/06/11 13:02:58 (permalink)
    You can do that now with right clicking a patch on a MIDI track that has an ins associated with it.  

Best
    John
    bluesplayer
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 78
    Re: request: Add sound category to .ins files and make it searchable 2016/06/12 13:26:37 (permalink)
    Apologies, posted in wrong forum didn’t see the Features and Ideas "forum."

Yes you can right click on a track and get the synth, patch bank, then patch but problem is:

1)  You have to ONE particular instrument (aka synth)  associated with that track. You can only assign one to a track at a time, any more would be useless and incomprehensible anyway.  This then excludes all other instruments (synths) that are installed/defined in your MASTER.INS from being "viewed," for that track, at that time.  It would be (and is) tedious to assign different synths, one at a time, and scroll though the vast library (ten's of thousands of sounds)  from the multitude of patches, bank, HW and SW synths for sounds you haven't used in a very long while and forgot about.

2)  No, right clicking doesn't magically add categories to the .ins list patch name.  Yes you can, I do,  "code" in an a category abbreviation to each patch name in the .ins file but:  you still CAN NOT SEARCH or FILTER on it for for it while IN Sonar.

Again just a a suggestion, one I now wish I would have made back when using Cakewalk software days (long be fore even audio was added - changing it from sequencer to DAW, LONG before Sonar SW. .   When using CW DOS and Win 3.1 I only had three synths and I don't think they had more 512 sounds between them - it was EASY to keep track.

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: request: Add sound category to .ins files and make it searchable 2016/06/13 07:53:58 (permalink)
    I don't think there is a way to include the patches of software synths in the master ins.  For one thing they may not use  the standard method to change a patch. The reason hardware does have this ability is because its a finite number of patches that doesn't change. Without it there is no easy way to access those patches for hardware.

Best
    John
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1