resolved: sum it up for me...what is x1 and how is is different from the other sonars

Author
7-string_guy
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
2011/02/06 12:44:06 (permalink)

resolved: sum it up for me...what is x1 and how is is different from the other sonars

just wondering what this product is..what are its best uses?...
post edited by 7-string_guy - 2011/02/07 01:42:47

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system

5 Replies Related Threads

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:sum it up for me...what is x1 and how is is different from the other sonars 2011/02/06 14:51:35 (permalink)
     It is software for creating music. It's best uses are to provide a forum for users arguing over precisely how functional it is for that purpose.

It is different from other versions in that it is moving toward increased workflow functionality and versatility while providing a strong creative platform for a variety of musical tastes and purposes. In other words, a platform for being as creatively versatile to as many people as possible.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:sum it up for me...what is x1 and how is is different from the other sonars 2011/02/06 15:06:41 (permalink)
    Well the main diff for me is I can't find anything, lol

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

LHousehold
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 163
    Re:sum it up for me...what is x1 and how is is different from the other sonars 2011/02/06 16:04:27 (permalink)
    I'd have to say it's just set up differently than before. It's a whole new interface. Underneath it's not that different, I think. Naturally since it's a new edition there are the expected updates e.g. if you get the PE there's ProChannel.

Windows 7 64 bit
    Cakewalk Sonar X2 Producer
    Cakewalk A-500PRO MIDI controller

mikespitzer
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 300
    Re:sum it up for me...what is x1 and how is is different from the other sonars 2011/02/06 16:05:23 (permalink)
    In a nutshell ?

From what I have seen, this was my impression ....

X1 seems to be a move away from the idea of imitating the visual look of studio hardware (physical mixers, tape transports)  of the past and make the interface look more like a Computer Software for creating/recording/editing music.

When I think of the early Digidesign Pro Tools, it was clear that was a way of migrating from Analog Tape and Mixers to a Computer Environment.
    Real audio (not MIDI) was the main focus and everything was done on 2 screens.
    One looked like a real world mixer and the other was a fancy editing screen.

Over the years with more and more music being artificially created with MIDI, loops, samples, etc...    the recording process has gradually evolved away from that idea of making a "high powered tape recorder and editor on computer".

X1 seemed to me when I briefly worked with it to be the next step in designing the interface to leave behind those earlier visions of a DAW.

Do you NEED X1 ?
    Probably not.

There is nothing in it that is really revolutionary.
    Simply stated, in order to stay in business a Software company like Cakewalk MUST do something different and/or offer a new product every year or two to keep revenue streams flowing and stay in business.

Eventually with new Windows OS and loss of support, you will be forced to move to newer software.

For me, given the current problems so many people are having with X1 ........ I have chosen to sit it out for a year or two and let Cakewalk get this thing under control.

Besides, I have been very lucky with a rock solid Sonar 8.3 which has never crashed on me or had nay problems..........  I don't want to tempt fate and invite headaches with new software if I don't need to.

Your results (or interests) may vary.

7-string_guy
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re:sum it up for me...what is x1 and how is is different from the other sonars 2011/02/07 01:41:58 (permalink)
    know i know.. thx fellas

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
    FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
    Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
    Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1