reverb for vocals

Author
native
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 237
2009/10/02 09:48:13 (permalink)

reverb for vocals

I'm trying to mix a song and I'm having trouble with reverb. it's a mainstream pop/rock song, and I've got no clue how to add reverbs properly to the lead vocals.

I'd appreciate any advice on which reverb makes sense, room size of the reverb, anything else you think is important. thanks.

13 Replies Related Threads

Blades
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3246
    Re:reverb for vocals 2009/10/02 11:15:56 (permalink)
    So many options that it's really hard to limit it, but a few general rules

1.  Less is more
    2.  Learn to use the predelay to put some space between the dry signal and the veb itself.  This will help clarify annunciation.
    3.  Try a tempo matched delay instead, it may work better
    4.  Use either the Plugin's built-in controls or the EQ on the bus the reverb is on to sculpt the reverb.  Most of the time, I will take all the boomy low end off a reverb. 
    5. Same as #4 with a delay, and I also find that the delays sound more natural in a mix when the top end on the delay return is also somewhat reduced.  Sounds more like an old analog delay this way.  You can even get special treatments this way, for example getting a really mushy and mid-heavy repeat on the vocal that blurs in pretty well, and tempo-matched, consonants can do some interesting rhythmic things.

HTH

Blades
    www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
    native
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 237
    Re:reverb for vocals 2009/10/02 11:24:53 (permalink)
    that's quite some helpful information, thanks.

more concretely, when going for a reverb, which plugin would you tend to use? Pantheon, PerfectSpace etc? And which reverb type: a plate reverb for vocals, or a medium hall thing?

I like the delay idea, will definitely try that.
    stokedboss
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 149
    Re:reverb for vocals 2009/10/02 11:33:29 (permalink)
    Just try everything, your ears should be the judge of what sounds best in your mix.

Sonar X2a PE, Win 7 64-bit, Intel Core i7 3770k, 8Gb Corsair XMS3 RAM, Asus P8Z77 Lk Roland Octa-Capture.
    Blades
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3246
    Re:reverb for vocals 2009/10/02 11:59:50 (permalink)
    Some have had luck with the Pantheon, but you definitely need to stay away from the presets on that one.  With the right attention, it can actually sound quite decent, but if you are having a hard time finding the right thing, this isn't the place I'd start, as you really k\need to know what you are doing and what you want in order to tweak Pantheon to produce it.  Good results once you get there, but definitely not the quickest journey.

I might start with the Simple included Cakewalk FxReverb.  It's been included for many verions of Sonar, but it's really pretty easy to work with.  The parameters are clearly laid out, and the presets are an ok place to get started.

Just be aware that if you are going to put the reverb on a bus to which you are sending tracks' outputs or if you put the fx in the track fx bin, you need to put the "mix control" in the place where it sounds right.  BUT if you are puting fx on a bus and using a send from a track to get it there, you want to make sure that the mix is set 100% wet.  You don't want ANY of the dry signal in the case of a bus used as an AUX send.  It will just sound wrong and will be wierd to control - so remember that - and it goes for all fx used on a bus with track SENDs going to it = 100% wet.

HTH

Blades
    www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:reverb for vocals 2009/10/02 13:56:57 (permalink)
    Another option that I've had some modest success with is the Sonnitus Reverb.

All the controls are laid out in front of you, just feel free to experiment.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    musicroom
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2421
    Re:reverb for vocals 2009/10/02 14:48:23 (permalink)

I might start with the Simple included Cakewalk FxReverb. It's been included for many verions of Sonar, but it's really pretty easy to work with. The parameters are clearly laid out, and the presets are an ok place to get started.

Good advice here +100

Check out these settings -
    http://forum.cakewalk.com...k%2Creverb%F1%A5%9E%8A

This plug setting sounds great in a buss! Only problem, it only works in Sonar 32bit. It is a dx plug.

More Jonas Reverb goodies here:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=1715994

Also, if you haven't done so already, click on the tinyurl link at the bottom of Jonas' post and download the template. I use this template for most of the projects I start. Albeit I further customize for my workflow. However - even if you do not use the template - I would highly recommend opening up each plugin and saving the presets. I use a format like: "JA Plate Reverb", "JA Hall Reverb", etc. His presets are outstanding in my opinion.

Best of Luck!

post edited by musicroom - 2009/10/02 15:00:56

Dave
    Songs

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:reverb for vocals 2009/10/02 15:19:03 (permalink)
    I almost always use Perfect Space (and mostly a plate) for lead vox.  It defaults to -9.1 wet volume but I almost always drag that down to - 12 or more.  A good idea for most reverbs.  Also, as above, pre-delay and cut the low end of the reverb to reclaim space.  In general, the faster the song and thicker the arraingement the less reverb you need.

If I don't use PS, delay is my next choice.  It gives the illusion of space without filling the bits inbetween.

reverb - a thick subject.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    musicroom
    Re:reverb for vocals 2009/10/02 15:35:13 (permalink)
    AT

I almost always use Perfect Space (and mostly a plate) for lead vox.  It defaults to -9.1 wet volume but I almost always drag that down to - 12 or more.  A good idea for most reverbs.  Also, as above, pre-delay and cut the low end of the reverb to reclaim space.  In general, the faster the song and thicker the arraingement the less reverb you need.

If I don't use PS, delay is my next choice.  It gives the illusion of space without filling the bits inbetween.

reverb - a thick subject.

@

Yes it is...

I haven't used PS for initial tracking/recording. How does it perform? I guess I always assumed latency with convolution. 

Dave
    Songs

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:reverb for vocals 2009/10/02 16:34:25 (permalink)
    Great summary of reverb wisdom so far, especially Blades' enumeration.

It's interesting that there is almost no end to what can be said about reverb, even though for most applications the truism that "if you can hear it you're using too much" definitely applies.

I'll add just one tip to what's been mentioned so far: automation can really expand what can be done with reverb. In most cases, you should put the reverb plugin on a bus dedicated to that purpose. One of the advantages to doing so is that you can easily modulate the amount of reverb with a simple volume envelope. (I sometimes control the reverb time with an envelope, too.)

With a volume envelope, you can do things like exaggerate the reverb on individual words, make the verse drier than the chorus, or lower the reverb on problem phrases (such as a rapid sequence of consonants) that reverb muddies.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    musicroom
    Re:reverb for vocals 2009/10/02 17:36:20 (permalink)
    bitflipper

Great summary of reverb wisdom so far, especially Blades' enumeration.

It's interesting that there is almost no end to what can be said about reverb, even though for most applications the truism that "if you can hear it you're using too much" definitely applies.

I'll add just one tip to what's been mentioned so far: automation can really expand what can be done with reverb. In most cases, you should put the reverb plugin on a bus dedicated to that purpose. One of the advantages to doing so is that you can easily modulate the amount of reverb with a simple volume envelope. (I sometimes control the reverb time with an envelope, too.)

With a volume envelope, you can do things like exaggerate the reverb on individual words, make the verse drier than the chorus, or lower the reverb on problem phrases (such as a rapid sequence of consonants) that reverb muddies.

This makes a lot of sense. I am a recent convert to fader riding for vox, so this advice goes perfectly with that technique as well.

Dave
    Songs

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:reverb for vocals 2009/10/02 18:03:06 (permalink)
    +1 for subtle plate verb

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:reverb for vocals 2009/10/02 18:24:36 (permalink)
    I'm trying to mix a song and I'm having trouble with reverb. it's a mainstream pop/rock song, and I've got no clue how to add reverbs properly to the lead vocals. I'd appreciate any advice on which reverb makes sense, room size of the reverb, anything else you think is important. thanks.

The 1st thing i would do if i was you, and i was you at one time, is learn all about reverbs and how they effetc an audio signal. I would also learn about compression and complimentary Eq'ing techniques. This will put your vocals in a pocket of its own and mold into the song. Its mixing/mastering 101, and itd never too late to start learning.
    Theres some good explanations here in this thread, but you need to read and study and learn how all these tihngs effects eachother. Otherwise, your just turning knobs and sliders blindly without knowing what it does and how it effetcs things.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    Re:reverb for vocals 2009/10/02 23:10:03 (permalink)
    musicroom

I might start with the Simple included Cakewalk FxReverb. It's been included for many verions of Sonar, but it's really pretty easy to work with. The parameters are clearly laid out, and the presets are an ok place to get started.

Good advice here +100

Check out these settings -
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=415463&mpage=1&key=jonas%2Ccakewalk%2Creverb%F1%A5%9E%8A

Thanks for that. Having not looked at that plug in a while it's interesting that they have chosen to have the second time modifier effecting above the crossover rather than a 'low R/T as typical.
    I have to admit in spite of being at this a while verb' is still a struggle. Often it seems out of so many choices so few really fit.

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1