reworking: need ruthless ears

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
2008/06/09 12:25:42 (permalink)

reworking: need ruthless ears

RE mixed. I tried to use all suggestions I got on this thread. Thanks for all your help!!!

this is a song i did in January and the timing is a bit off so I'm remixing it.
It will be a much better song with your critiquing and nit-picking if you get a minute.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=826274&songID=6619164
Thank you very much.

Rick
post edited by No How - 2008/06/15 00:53:38

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull

34 Replies Related Threads

kayehl
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/09 13:10:50 (permalink)
    i think it's a good song, i loved the ethereal effects of the guitars and vocals
    i believe "I ching" is pronounced "ee jeeng" isn't it?
    the piano seems to come in a little loud, other wise sounds good to me..
    post edited by kayehl - 2008/06/09 13:11:46

I am not an expert
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/09 13:13:55 (permalink)
    I really like this song Rick, but I feel that the fx on the vox takes away from the articulation. It kinda gets lost in the mix a bit. Very creative with this composition. You've been putting out some great, unique tunes lately!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/09 13:19:45 (permalink)
    Another super tune… great lyrics and melody/chord changes. The mix is the weak point – I guess you know that already. I love your production ideas – great brain food, great ear food.

I wish I could help you sort out the mix – I’m not a tech guy – it sounds cluttered and a bit muddy to me. I’m sure others will be of help.

I’m commenting simply because I think your material is wonderful. This is very cool stuff.
    No How
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/09 13:55:55 (permalink)
    kayehl,
    yep...it's EEE ching. I flubbed that big time. Thanks for straightening me out there. Right on with the piano too. I'm going to lower it.
    thank you for that.

Larry,
    I will experiment with less fx on vox. It is too much. I will probably separate everything out and start from scratch.
    THank you for the nice compliment.

Manny, "I wish I could sort out the mix- I'm not a tech guy..." my sentiments exactly! I've been using the clip/nudge tool to line up hyper-active guitar playing with the rest of the piece. (Guitar player is not that great but he's cheap.)
    I've got tons of work to do with this that's why I need your ears.
    Thank you.
    post edited by No How - 2008/06/09 13:56:11

s o n g s

cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/09 14:37:11 (permalink)
    I agree with kayehl that the piano is a bit loud and it's out of time with the others, but I assume that's one of the fixes you're referring to in the OP. Other than that, it's a difficult song to critique because it's got such a unique character. The psychedelic mushiness (for lack of a better term ) works well with the song, IMO. It's very catchy, by the way - one listen and the tune/lyrics stayed in my head!

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/09 15:56:41 (permalink)
    I think you need a de-esser on the VOX.

IMO (and this is subjective) the piano works OK, but I like Tori Amos and she often has this kind of fat piano thats in the front to I am kinda used to it.

Great song. Quite enjoyed it.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    boogielicious
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 321
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/09 19:32:02 (permalink)
    Very unique feel to the song. I like the Vox FX, but maybe if you panned the effect a bit wider it would enhance the lead vocal. The piano did come in a bit strong as well.

Otherwise, what a cool song. I've been experimenting with putting hi-pass filters on almost every track and it seems to clear up things.

Best of luck,

Scott
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/09 21:50:17 (permalink)
    Richard, I especially like the personal presence of the guitar and the way it plays off the vox. Ruthless ear comments - sounds like you stepped away from the mic at 1:38 for a few seconds. I agree with other posters regarding the piano coming in a little too strong at 2:11. That being said, I really like this. Very nicely done.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/09 23:06:12 (permalink)
    Rick

When you have a piano join in with very low notes, it always helps to prepare for it. This comes in without preperation, which is why everyone says it is too loud. You can often get away with the notes in the higher register without prep, but rarely in the low. That is often true with any instrument. So you are left with 2 choices. Bring it in and then increase the dynamics or prepare in other ways, like with the percussion or the leads.

I like the chords being played here, it is more towards my like of dissonance.

Well done

No How
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/09 23:58:11 (permalink)

Thanks to you all for the listen and feedback. I have quite a bit of work ahead of me with this and your comments have given me some direction.

Ron,
    I have a piano throughout the whole song but for that mix decided to bury it till it jumps out at the end there.
    I will introduce it like you say more gradually and earlier on so as not to shock.

thanks for the feedback!

s o n g s

Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/10 00:18:37 (permalink)
    Great lyrics Very clever phrasing & imagery. I love the idea of the paperboy saying 'Get over it dude' LMAO. I love the line "I'm all tangled in your hair / I can taste it like I'm there" Very visual, very sensory. This is a really cool song!

You want ruthless critique? Ok. I think your voice is great. I think you should keep it completely dry, no reverb, no doubling (except for those cool harmonies in the chorus). Keep the lead up front & in yer face with maybe some sort of subtle presence boost (a compressor might do the trick).

Your guitar is excellent. I've never done much guitar mixing, but is there a way you can bring it forward in the mix without making it louder? Guitar & vocals in yer face man!

About the piano... I actually liked it, although I see how it can seem jarring. But I'm like fox; I dig Tori Amos stuff where the piano jumps at you. I guess it's totally a personal preference.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/10 05:20:31 (permalink)
    No How, I love you man...!

I don't want to critique any of the engineering or production technicalities as none of them interest me really when I hear your stuff.

What gets to me are the originality and intelligence of your song-writing and the sound of your voice.

Sure learn to use the gear the best you can for your own pleasure, but promise me to major in the REAL talent that you have that is your writing and performing. You are a uniquely talented man from what I've heard so far, own that and run with it.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    No How
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/10 08:36:07 (permalink)
    Great lyrics Very clever phrasing & imagery. I love the idea of the paperboy saying 'Get over it dude' LMAO. I love the line "I'm all tangled in your hair / I can taste it like I'm there" Very visual, very sensory. This is a really cool song!

You want ruthless critique? Ok. I think your voice is great. I think you should keep it completely dry, no reverb, no doubling (except for those cool harmonies in the chorus). Keep the lead up front & in yer face with maybe some sort of subtle presence boost (a compressor might do the trick).

Your guitar is excellent. I've never done much guitar mixing, but is there a way you can bring it forward in the mix without making it louder? Guitar & vocals in yer face man!

About the piano... I actually liked it, although I see how it can seem jarring. But I'm like fox; I dig Tori Amos stuff where the piano jumps at you. I guess it's totally a personal preference.

Mr.S.Duck,
    I appreciate you giving this an ear and your feedback. I actually lost one of the vocal tracks so it will have to be straight and not doubled this time around seeing as my house wont be quiet enough to sing for probably 18 more yrs. I'm extra glad you dig the song, you know, i played it for a certain person and that person had no response so i never knew if it was any good.....ahhhh...those certain ppl sell more tylenol and alkaseltzer than the county hospital.
    Thanks for the compliment.

No How, I love you man...!
    I don't want to critique any of the engineering or production technicalities as none of them interest me really when I hear your stuff.

What gets to me are the originality and intelligence of your song-writing and the sound of your voice.

Sure learn to use the gear the best you can for your own pleasure, but promise me to major in the REAL talent that you have that is your writing and performing. You are a uniquely talented man from what I've heard so far, own that and run with it.

Jon, Thanks sooooo much for the kind words! It helps a real lot to hear that. My ho-hum 9-5 life (like most of us in this forum) is fertile ground for chipping away at songs and tilted scenarios in my head. and my singing?...Gosh, I have never had any confidence in it so it's a real boon to hear good things about it.
    Thanks, Jon, you guys made my day.

Rick
    post edited by No How - 2008/06/10 08:51:32

s o n g s

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/14 08:38:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: No How

I actually lost one of the vocal tracks so it will have to be straight and not doubled this time around seeing as my house wont be quiet enough to sing for probably 18 more yrs.

That sounds a bit of a worry.

This sounds like you're either in detention or you have young children...

If the first scenario is true, good behaviour may get you paroled early, if it's the second I'm afraid you'll have to do the time...

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    No How
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/15 00:25:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

ORIGINAL: No How

I actually lost one of the vocal tracks so it will have to be straight and not doubled this time around seeing as my house wont be quiet enough to sing for probably 18 more yrs.

That sounds a bit of a worry.

This sounds like you're either in detention or you have young children...

If the first scenario is true, good behaviour may get you paroled early, if it's the second I'm afraid you'll have to do the time...

...Yes, I could do with some good behavior.

Song is remixed
    I tried to tweak to all the constructive comments.

Let me know if i went overboard and ruined the darn thing.

Thank you mucho.

s o n g s

kayehl
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/15 03:04:56 (permalink)
    that sounds gorgeous sounding!!!

i hear a buzz / line hum sound that would probably come from a guitar amp plug in or maybe a mic preamp?

a leslie would be nice for the organ that starts aroun 0;19

wonderful mix!!!

I am not an expert
    No How
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/15 16:55:44 (permalink)
    kayehl,
    Thanks for the listen.
    That buzz is from the guitar amp. I couldn't get rid of it. without killing the effect of the guitar.

I'm glad to hear it's coming along.

s o n g s

MArwood
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1816
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/15 22:21:06 (permalink)
    You need a de-esser on the voice. You have some serious "Essing" on this one. You may have to put 2 of them in a row. You will have to experiment with it.

Read here:
    http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.php?item=2&subItem=5

Download:
    http://www.digitalfishphones.com/binaries/the_fish_fillets_v1_1.zip

Nice song!
    Max Arwood

"Edited spelling"
    New Tag line so I won't have to keep typing this. I may or may not have edited this yet, but I probably need to.

< Message edited by MArwood -- 3/02/2525 3:45:05 AM >
    No How
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/15 22:49:53 (permalink)
    Hello Max,

I'll download that de-esser but I sure don't know how to use those things.

I'll experiment and see what happens. (Would I be using spitfish or blockfish for this?)

Thanks for the ear.
    post edited by No How - 2008/06/15 23:13:19

s o n g s

MArwood
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1816
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/16 00:16:54 (permalink)
    Spitfish.

Just drop it on the main vocal track. Adjust it till the Esses are not so harsh. It should be put in as the 1st effect, because reverb will emphasize those ESses. You should listen to the word "Still" @ :07 for instance. It sounds like "SSSSSStill" The "S" needs to be pulled back. You could do this with envelopes, but that would take forever. These can be tamed with the Spitfish or any other De-Esser.

eyeSSS :04 (this one is not as bad as the others)

SSSee :04

lieSSS :05

SSStill :07

underSSStand :16

SSStill :17

SSSo :22

etc......

Max Arwood

"Edited spelling"
    New Tag line so I won't have to keep typing this. I may or may not have edited this yet, but I probably need to.

< Message edited by MArwood -- 3/02/2525 3:45:05 AM >
    No How
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/16 13:52:31 (permalink)
    Max-

I tried to PM you but you disabled it.
    I didn't want to take up room on the forum for my pesky annoying questions but alas, i have to...

@.50 you'll hear the guitar amp buzz come in. I know the best fix is to clean up my gear hygeine but I couldn't figure out how to get that buzz out. (It's far worse on different pick-ups). Soooo....is there a tool or way to lesson the buzz without losing too much of the dynamic in the guitar?

Thank you for the time.

spelling edit.
    post edited by No How - 2008/06/16 14:14:25

s o n g s

Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/16 14:23:01 (permalink)
    Remix...

Daaaaaayaammn! You nailed it. Perfect vocals--right up front and tight! It really adds a lot of emotion to the piece. I also love the organ which I didn't catch in the first version (is it new, or was it just low in the mix before?) And call me totally batty but I really loved the guitar buzz. I mean it. Sorta gave the piece an honest, organic & witty quality. (How can guitar buzz be "witty"? I have no clue. I'm having trouble talking today.) KEEP THE BUZZ. Great work
    kayehl
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/16 17:36:05 (permalink)
    Have you tried a noise gate on the guitar amp? You can set the threshold to cut out the noise whenever the guitar is not playing, that could be an improvement.

i agree the vocals are mixed just perfect, plus a wonderful balance between the guitar and key parts.

I am not an expert
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/16 19:48:07 (permalink)
    Rick, first off great tune. Sounds to me like all the right parts are there..just sorting them out is the deal.

Not sure which guitar part our mic take has the line noise but I'd find that. It was intermittent. starts at 00:25, 00:34/35 so you know what I'm referring to.
    I'd seperate the guitar parts and hard pan L/R and then work the middle and then pan them "in" if needed. Maybe two work together better on a side away from the third -idea.
    Get reverb of the acoustic track. (start) Not using stereo on the guitar parts that don't need it sure cleans things up.
    Reverb and L/R panning seems to me the biggest changes I'd make.

Sure like the tune.
    Michael
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/17 13:27:38 (permalink)
    Rick,
    Tried to send (lengthy) reply but something went wrong..I think I timed out. (at work)
    Then tried a short PM that I had trouble and got message that your box is full.

I'll check this and try back this eve.

Michael

And my apologies to all for having to do it this way.
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/17 16:51:45 (permalink)
    Much improved version on this.. A lot clearer and the vox is up front and cohesive. Ya done good Rick! I would say that little bit of guitar buzz in the beginning is a high-end fx plug that emulates those classic amps from the 50's & 60's!! I think it gives the song character! I love this song even better after the remix.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Chazdaddy
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 215
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/17 20:39:02 (permalink)
    I will not attempt to nit pick the mix, I think folks have that covered. I do really dig the tune, very original vibe comes through, not enough original sounds these days IMHO. Cool kind of haunting fele to it.
    post edited by Chazdaddy - 2008/06/17 21:00:39
    clarkeo
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/17 22:56:37 (permalink)
    Hi Rick,

I really like the tune and your ideas in this. The chord progression is cool and I really like the lyrics. The ruthless criticism I'll offer is that I would like to hear a little tighter recording. In places the keyboard seems to be dragging a little behind the rest of the instruments. I don't know whether you used a click track. I agree with other comments made about the need to de-ess the vocal. Don't get me wrong though--I think it's a great song and overall the recording sounds pretty good. The backing vocals are really well done.

Clark

Sonar PE 8.5.2, Project 5 V2, Firepod
    No How
    RE: reworking: need ruthless ears 2008/06/17 23:12:44 (permalink)
    Not sure which guitar part our mic take has the line noise but I'd find that. It was intermittent. starts at 00:25, 00:34/35 so you know what I'm referring to.
    I'd seperate the guitar parts and hard pan L/R and then work the middle and then pan them "in" if needed. Maybe two work together better on a side away from the third -idea.
    Get reverb of the acoustic track. (start) Not using stereo on the guitar parts that don't need it sure cleans things up.
    Reverb and L/R panning seems to me the biggest changes I'd make.

Sure like the tune.
    Michael

Michael, I did as instructed. dumped one acoustic, lessoned the reverb, split the elec and acoustic to wide apart (did nudge a clone elec for ping pong). i think it cleaned it up a bit. Thank you for your kind help on this.

Much improved version on this.. A lot clearer and the vox is up front and cohesive. Ya done good Rick! I would say that little bit of guitar buzz in the beginning is a high-end fx plug that emulates those classic amps from the 50's & 60's!! I think it gives the song character! I love this song even better after the remix.

Hi Larry, The buzz is from my single coil strat copy. There's no getting rid of it i guess so I'm MOST happy you don't mind it Thanks for listening again and posting the kind comments.

I will not attempt to nit pick the mix, I think folks have that covered. I do really dig the tune, very original vibe comes through, not enough original sounds these days IMHO. Cool kind of haunting fele to it.

Chazdaddy,
    Thank you for taking a few to listen. It means a LOT to me to get such feedback.

I really like the tune and your ideas in this. The chord progression is cool and I really like the lyrics. The ruthless criticism I'll offer is that I would like to hear a little tighter recording. In places the keyboard seems to be dragging a little behind the rest of the instruments. I don't know whether you used a click track. I agree with other comments made about the need to de-ess the vocal. Don't get me wrong though--I think it's a great song and overall the recording sounds pretty good. The backing vocals are really well done.

Clark

Clark, Right on!!! It is sloppy with the timing in many spots and I even had to cut and paste a few bass notes to remedy what was even worse before. I decided not to redo because of some personal reasons and focused on honing what i had to the best of my beginner abilities. Cool thing is I've had Soooooooo much help with mixing that it's come Far from what I could have done on my own. Thank you for listening and being ruthless. It's what makes songs better.

Rick
    post edited by No How - 2008/06/17 23:34:08

s o n g s

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1