room treatment for an apartment

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
j boy
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2729
RE: room treatment for an apartment 2006/11/06 17:42:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tunekicker

Owens Corning 703 or 705 rigid fiberglass are commonly used for acoustic treatment, but are relatively expensive (about $14 per 2'x4'x2" panel.)

Another alternative is mineral wool, which has very similar acoustic properties and costs about half that... ($8 or so for a 2'x4'x2" panel.)

Of course, these will both want to be covered with fabric (burlap works great) to minimize airborne fibres.

They are cheaper in bulk.

Peace,

Something tells me if the guy's wife isn't gonna sign off on Auralex, she's not gonna be wild about covering her living room with burlap-covered fiberglass...
lazarous
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1461
RE: room treatment for an apartment 2006/11/06 18:51:11 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: themidiroom
ORIGINAL: lazarous
Ah, but he's a salesman who's perfectly willing to let you build them yourself with the articles he has on his web page. I've spoken personally to Ethan... He's very passionate about the subject, as well as quite knowledgeable!

I wasn't taking a stab at Ethan for promoting his products. I really respect the work he's doing and the fact that he is willing to share the information.

Oh, I know, Marcus... you and I have chatted enough off-line that I get your sense of humor now. I just wanted to make sure anyone not familiar with Ethan wouldn't think he was some kind of con man.

No worries!

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
2Gb DDR2 400
RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
UAD1 4.2
WinXP Pro SP2
Sonar 8.3PE
New Henry and Buster episodes available!
jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: room treatment for an apartment 2006/11/06 19:25:19 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: j boy
Something tells me if the guy's wife isn't gonna sign off on Auralex, she's not gonna be wild about covering her living room with burlap-covered fiberglass...

definitely not in the living room... i may get away with realtraps though. =) the trick is to start with the burlap fiberglass and work down to something. i think the trip to home depot to look at plywood really sent things in the right direction

- jack the ex-cynic
Conguero
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: room treatment for an apartment 2006/11/14 20:29:55 (permalink)
For practicality and cost, the blankets draped over mic stands mentioned earlier in the thread is
a great solution. you can take it down and pack it away when not in use.

Also the use of normal furniture was mentioned. One idea i had is to use one of those folding-style room dividers. You can coat one side of it with the material of your choice. Then turn it back around up against a wall when not in use.

Some interior decorators will hang large rugs on the wall like a picture as a focal point. This would work great for high frequency absorption (flutter echo), but it won't help with any low end
standing waves.

just my humble opinion...
TheFingers
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1669
RE: room treatment for an apartment 2006/11/15 00:36:34 (permalink)
Derrick,
Just breezed through the thread, Auralex doesn't get the results. It's a waste of money, Real Traps....although seemingly pricey, are very effective. You can hang them temporarily on just a screw in the wall. If your Landlord don't like it screw him too. Save yourself a ton of dough and call Ethan. The service is beyond compare too.....the dude rocks. If in doubt, you can always take Real Traps with you to your next venue, or temporarily move them to another (tracking) room. Real Traps are worth their weight in gold, and are a lifetime investment/relationship.

Be well,
TheFingers

1973 "A" neck.

I'd rather be playing Bass:
jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: room treatment for an apartment 2006/11/15 22:15:20 (permalink)
conguero, i'd considered the room divider thing before. if i decide to go the low-budget route that may be the direction i head.

fingers, thanks for the heads up on the auralex. if i decide to throw some real money at the problem i will probably go with the real traps. ethan has been very helpful already in this thread and from what i can see on the site there are stands available so i wouldn't have to risk my deposit.

- jack the ex-cynic
basstracker7769
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: room treatment for an apartment 2006/11/22 19:58:23 (permalink)
For my money buy the auralex or simliar product and you will see the stuff lasts for years stays soft and supple. The other stuff breaks down Ive had the same foam for over ten years when they were USA Foam placed it and removed it several times
If you use good adhesive to mount a backing you can use a product thats very much like corregated cardboard but its made out of plastic
i use a six to 8 inch strip mount it on the back of the foam (top of foam where ur hanging it vertically or horizontal) get moulding strips from home depot they are flat faced surfaced ones mount those on the walls with small white finishing nails pre drill holes first( I use four per two feet spaced evenly). Place velcro over them and velcro on the backing material on the foam and u have ur foam mounted when its time to move you simply remove the moulding carefull with a small flat head screw driver and fill the small hold with some spackel and it will look great
this is the easiest way to do this ive moved my studio 6 times in 7 years

One thing to note when u apply the adhesive put some weight on them and let sit over night
and when you apply velcro tape press very hard and rub along the surface and wait over night
Doing this makes sure the tack is good and keeps it from falling down
Ive had some pieces ive never had to remount and others a few times, over all if u make sure the adhesive is good and wait for some time it usually always stays for a long time
oh by the way if you have to cut foam get a cheap electric knife its the best way to cut it

Easy gobo recipe
4 pieces of 1 x3 boards 4ft lengths( popular is good choice since its very straight cheap light with little knots)
4x8 1/4 Luenon ( i know i spelled this wrong)

small silver finishing nails 1 1/2 Inches
3 inch stud nails for putting together frame
One bundle of 3 inch rock wool ( u can make several gobos with one bundle)
Assemble ur boards to make a frame (yes you will have to cut a pair a bit shorter so u can nail it together)
Then mount one of the pieces of the luenon together onto the frame u built
using the finishing nails to make a backing to hold the rock wool
Using a electric carving knife (easiest way) or utility knife cut to fill the cavity created by the framing with backing
snug but not too tight fill the rock wool
Then nail the other piece of luenon and you have a gobo

you can mount wheels or make feet with shelf brackets and a piece of the 1x 3 that u can slip on and off with easy for storage]
Ill explain the feet better if anyone is interested in reading it perhaps in the future ill post a
exploded diagram on how this all goes together

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1