scratchpad for ideas and inspiration

Author
syntheticpop
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 688
2009/07/26 12:34:53 (permalink)

scratchpad for ideas and inspiration

what do you guys use for your scratchpad for ideas and inspiration?  I got P5, Sonar, Dimension Pro, Rapture and soon adding the Komplete 5 package that has to be installed.  What would you guys recommend that I use to throw down some ideas before doing any serious editing and mixing.

now that Project 5 has been discontinued and no longer supported, should I not use it and just use Sonar and the other Cakewalk instruments?  what will i get out of using Project 5 that I won't in Sonar?  I don't see a lot of post here in this forum, does that mean a lot of P5 users stopped using it and switched to something else?

3 Replies Related Threads

badbib
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    Re:scratchpad for ideas and inspiration 2009/07/26 14:00:05 (permalink)
    if you like P5, use P5, I found it really good to lay out ideas quickly, and you can definetely finish your song in P5, it's all about finding what is the most comfortable for you.

Back when I used P5, I made my sequencing in P5, then bounced each track, and used Sonar for audio editing and mixing. Sonar is so much more flexible when it comes to using audio, but I didn't really like its midi, most likely because I was used to P5's way of doing things.

my favourite scratchpad for ideas and inspiration is still my handphone, anytime I have a song in my head, I beatbox the drums and record it with my handphone, I record myself singing the synth parts, then I just have to sequence them on my PC later.
    syntheticpop
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 688
    Re:scratchpad for ideas and inspiration 2009/07/27 15:55:47 (permalink)
    badbib, so will Project5 allow me to use other 3rd party plugins?  there are other synths that i would like to add.

should I use Sonars effects or is it really about preference.  I am sure the quality of effects isn't any less on P5 than Sonar, but if you could fill me in.

recording the vocals, should i sequence with Sonar or is it safe to use P5?
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    Re:scratchpad for ideas and inspiration 2009/07/27 16:29:42 (permalink)
    You can use most of Sonar's plugins in P5 and vice-versa.  As far as recording vocals, you have several options, including recording your vocals in P5, or doing all of your sequencing and recording in Sonar, or Rewiring P5 to Sonar.

For me, I sometimes use P5 as a scratch pad for ideas and once the basic idea is done and the singer is ready to record, I bounce a .wav file from P5, import it into Sonar (at the same project tempo), and record the vocals alongside the .wav.  I do this because it keeps computer resource usage at a minimum when recording - running a lot of synths in real-time will increase your latency and make it difficult for the singer to monitor his/her vocals without an audible delay.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1