sd card backing tracks... w/ and w/o a laptop

Author
M@ B
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
2011/03/12 15:19:06 (permalink)

sd card backing tracks... w/ and w/o a laptop

hello,
as i get closer to having a set of songs to perform, i have been thinking ahead about the options and different approaches to playing back the mix and adding the live vocals and guitars, etc. as far as i understand, the sd card output is post eq. this is a bit inconvenient, but not really a big deal if i feed an external mixer with those outputs (1&2) from the vstudio 100. what i'm having a harder time planning for is this, and i could be wrong (i hope i am), the sd card is coming out on the same outputs (1&2) that the two pre-amp channels come out on. unless i'm wrong (i still hope i am) i can't use the vstudio's on-board pre's for my vocals and acoustic guitar and still have separation to feed an external mixer. i'm not sure, but i don't think a laptop will solve this problem either. the other option is to mix the backing tracks to a cd or an ipod and either go straight to the external mixer with that mix or go into inputs 3&4 on the vstudio, but then that begs the question of what purpose is the vstudio really serving in this scenario? the sd card allows for a 24 bit mix down, but aside from that, it really becomes a hinderance because of the i/o restrictions that it brings with it.

is their to be a firmware update to address this?

can somebody correct me if i'm mistaken or share their experience and any work-arounds you may have come up with?

thanks,
matt

6 Replies Related Threads

codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:sd card backing tracks... w/ and w/o a laptop 2011/03/12 21:00:48 (permalink)
    I think you have a pretty good understanding of the VS-100. I haven't tried much live stuff with it, but when I first got it I did some testing and was disappointed in it's limitations in this regard.

Two things I would love to see.
    1. Better live routing as you are mentioning.
    2. The ability to record multitrack on the SD card. I'd say 4 track would be enough, but then I would want 8 - LOL!
    I'm not sure if a firmware update would be able to add these features, but it would be great if it could.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    M@ B
    Re:sd card backing tracks... w/ and w/o a laptop 2011/03/13 00:08:29 (permalink)
    thanks coda,
    bummer.... i was hoping to be wrong (groan).
    if a firmware update would allow the option of assigning the sd card out to 3&4, it would really make a world of difference to this unit's functionality. it would allow for keeping the two pre-amp channels' outputs independent. that would be a major improvement in flexibility.

*may i make this an official feature request*

as far as four tracks to the sd card, i think a laptop (which i don't have) with sonar on it would solve that problem and then some.
    thanks again.

codamedia
    Re:sd card backing tracks... w/ and w/o a laptop 2011/03/13 08:25:23 (permalink)
    M@ B

thanks coda,
    if a firmware update would allow the option of assigning the sd card out to 3&4, it would really make a world of difference to this unit's functionality. it would allow for keeping the two pre-amp channels' outputs independent. that would be a major improvement in flexibility.

*may i make this an official feature request*

as far as four tracks to the sd card, i think a laptop (which i don't have) with sonar on it would solve that problem and then some.
    thanks again.

Let's both make a feature request regarding the routing.

Your right that having a laptop easily solves the multi-track solution, but what the multi-track SD option would give is the ability to do some multi track recording without having the laptop around (stand alone mode), then import them all later. I could be mistaken with that one, though - although it is not a true multi-track - it may actually keep recordings separated during sound on sound. I think I need to experiment with that.

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    M@ B
    Re:sd card backing tracks... w/ and w/o a laptop 2011/03/14 22:29:26 (permalink)
    codamedia

M@ B

thanks coda,

*may i make an official feature request*

thanks again.

Let's both make a feature request regarding the routing.

Your right that having a laptop easily solves the multi-track solution, but what the multi-track SD option would give is the ability to do some multi track recording without having the laptop around (stand alone mode), then import them all later. I could be mistaken with that one, though - although it is not a true multi-track - it may actually keep recordings separated during sound on sound. I think I need to experiment with that.

how do we know if our feature request has been seen by the cakewalk?

is there an official way to submit a feature request or this is it?

hello cakewalk,
    *may i make an official feature request*
    if a firmware update would allow the option of assigning the sd card out to 3&4, it would really make a world of difference to this unit's functionality. it would allow for keeping the two pre-amp channels' outputs independent. that would be a major improvement in flexibility and allow for some independent channel "out-board" processing when needed in a live setting.

thank you for considering this request.

post edited by M@ B - 2011/03/14 22:58:06

codamedia
    Re:sd card backing tracks... w/ and w/o a laptop 2011/03/15 20:30:06 (permalink)
    how do we know if our feature request has been seen by the cakewalk? is there an official way to submit a feature request or this is it?

Although they will glance at these forums, this is not the official route - and has a very good chance of being overlooked.

Check out this page:
    http://www.cakewalk.com/support/contact/featurerequest.aspx

In the drop list, the VS-100 is one of the items you can make a feature request for.

M@ B
    Re:sd card backing tracks... w/ and w/o a laptop 2011/03/16 10:59:17 (permalink)
    sent it.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1