semi cross post.... building a system for live recording

Author
kab
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 224
2005/10/14 21:25:22 (permalink)

semi cross post.... building a system for live recording

Looking for info on what would be the best way to setup a system for recording a live band, with each mic obviously going to its own track in sonar.

The qualifications are that the system would need to be portability.. no full size mixers (you knew it wouldnt be easy)

Also, this would need to deal with 12 mics (xlr), 1/4 in, midi, etc, all simultaneously.

My initial thought would be to use an Rme fireface (4 preamped channels), and put an Onyx 800 r (8 pre'd channels) connected to the Fireface via optical cable.

Now, how would the fireface software, or sonar, be able to differentiate between the fireface i/o and the onyx?

Secondly, how beefy of a pc, or what problems would one run into trying to record 12-16 tracks at once?

I posted something similiar over on the Sonar forum... thanks in advance.

2 Replies Related Threads

jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: semi cross post.... building a system for live recording 2005/10/15 01:28:30 (permalink)
    Hey Kab

You don't really need that beefy of a system to record a lot of tracks at once...I mean you do, but nowadays modern laptops are plenty capable, imho. The real issue is the interface solution.

If money's no object, I'd get a RME Fireface 800 with either a Mackie Onyx or even better a Presonus Digimax 96. Of course, you'd probably need to get a Firewire 800 card, since most XP notebooks do not come with this yet. By now you've spent a LOT of money, but you have a portable system capable of 12 mic inputs plus 1/4in, midi etc...

If the cash is a little tighter, you could try getting two Firepods and link them together. That would give you 16 mic/line combi jacks, plus midi.

Sonar should just be able to see the inputs from the optical through your soundcard. Not sure how these would be numbered, though. Perhaps as 5-12 if the four on the RME are 1-4? I don't know...

Do you already have the computer (or have a specific one in mind)?

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    wogg
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1819
    RE: semi cross post.... building a system for live recording 2005/10/15 11:43:24 (permalink)
    The Digiface comes in a PCMCIA version that any laptop will run.

Homepage:
    The World of Wogg

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1