seperating inputs (newB)

Author
Dano the Resistor
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2007/04/17 06:53:36 (permalink)

seperating inputs (newB)

I'm just getting started with my band's demo project. I''ve run live sound and worked in formal recording studios - but I'm older (mid 40's) and it was all analog in those days. While I'm quite pleased with the flexiblity and the sound quality of my Cakewalk - I don't know how - or if - I can seperate the inputs and assign them to different channels. Right now I've miced our drummer - 8 mics in all - but I have only been able to assign it all to one track. I don't have the abilty to manipulate the Toms, for example, after the track has be laid. Does this require additional hardware?

Dano: The "Other" Guitarist

7 Replies Related Threads

poprep
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: seperating inputs (newB) 2007/04/17 08:50:32 (permalink)
    what's the soundcard you're using?
    Dano the Resistor
    RE: seperating inputs (newB) 2007/04/17 17:57:27 (permalink)
    SoundMAX Intigrated Digital Audio

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: seperating inputs (newB) 2007/04/17 18:34:03 (permalink)
    The reason he asked is that you'll need a multi-input audio card, so that you can bring in multiple inputs at once, and assign each track to a different input. Does that SoundMAX card have multiple inputs? If not, you'll have to look at moving up to a higher end sound card (something like an M-Audio Delta1010 is a cost effective option, but there are other higher end ones.)

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010-main.html
    post edited by droddey - 2007/04/17 18:36:05

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: seperating inputs (newB) 2007/04/17 18:47:11 (permalink)
    SoundMax is basically integrated sound on the motherboard. It only has a stereo input and possibly a surround output depending on the board. There is no place to buss the audio other than L/R. You would need to purchase a multi channel audio interface like droddey said to do anything more than that.
    Dano the Resistor
    RE: seperating inputs (newB) 2007/04/17 20:38:39 (permalink)
    Awsome! Great info guys - I really appreciate the help.

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: seperating inputs (newB) 2007/04/17 23:46:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dano the Resistor

I'm just getting started with my band's demo project. I''ve run live sound and worked in formal recording studios - but I'm older (mid 40's) and it was all analog in those days. While I'm quite pleased with the flexiblity and the sound quality of my Cakewalk - I don't know how - or if - I can seperate the inputs and assign them to different channels. Right now I've miced our drummer - 8 mics in all - but I have only been able to assign it all to one track. I don't have the abilty to manipulate the Toms, for example, after the track has be laid. Does this require additional hardware?

You can get sound cards in all number of inputs and outputs and sound quality. At the very low end is what you have and it can only do two tracks at once (or one stereo track). There is no where to go but up from what you have. The next step up would be an M-Audio of some kind like the Delta 1010, that would get you at least 8 inputs at once and much better sound quality. If you need a lot of inputs at once you can even get as many as 24 in the MOTU 24i. At the very top end of sound quality (and price) would be the RME Fireface 800.

Also remember that unlike a tape deck you only need as many inputs as you will record in one pass, you can re-assign them to other tracks when it comes time to lay down extra tracks.

Some interfaces can also be expanded. For example you the Fireface 800 only has 8 analog inputs but it also has a optical ADAT input so you can get a mic preamp with ADAT output like the PreSonus DigiMax FS and add 8 more for a total of 16.

In addition to having more I/O a good sound card will also be able to record at 24bit and that is important for sound quality and gives you extra headroom as well so you don't have to watch levels so close. Also, at 24bit if your record level is a little low you can add gain during the mix, if you do that with a 16bit track it can sound bad so you have to record as hot as you can without going in the red. Unlike analog tape you can't go in the red with digital, it gets ugly.
    post edited by ohhey - 2007/04/17 23:53:06
    dmassey
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: seperating inputs (newB) 2007/04/29 00:48:59 (permalink)
    Look on eBay for MOTU 2408mkII interfaces. You can buy them cheap, they work really well, and you can add enough to do 24 tracks simultaneously for less than $ 1k if you're patient. The original 2408 will also work for less $$, but I'm a bit of a snob about staying away from RCA inputs.

If you're an old-school guy (like me) you will be more comfortable with more live inputs than newer users who never work with live bands.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1