session drummer:disabling velocity levels

Author
Steve_O
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 111
2010/09/30 18:03:02 (permalink)

session drummer:disabling velocity levels

How do i remove the velocity levels implied by session drummer?
on first glance an easy question, but i'll explain my quest further....

I am aware how to program multiple layered velocity samples assigned to midi notes over a range of midi velocities, using SFZ files.
However, it appears that session drummer applies control of the playback/ouput levels of samples relative to the midi velocity.

Assuming i have multi-samples of a drum hit they will naturally have increasing volumes as the drum is hit harder, as youd expect from a "real" drum.
Couple this with the velocity level applied by session drummer and my drum samples sound less authentic.
I get the sum of the recorded output-level of the drum plus the controlled output level of the session drummer kit-piece.

If i adjust all the samples so they have the same level output, therefore letting session drummer control the output level, any ambience recorded is inconsistent.

So, what i am asking, is how can i make session drummer output the same volume level for a set kit piece but playback various samples (defined in my SFZ file) realted to midi velocity?

hope that makes sense and someone can assist.

thanks

Sonar PE 8.5.3, Intel i5 Quad 2.66 4Gb, win7-32bit, delta66, midisport 4x4

4 Replies Related Threads

chad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 468
    Re:session drummer:disabling velocity levels 2010/10/01 12:09:57 (permalink)
    Steve_O

How do i remove the velocity levels implied by session drummer?
    on first glance an easy question, but i'll explain my quest further....

I am aware how to program multiple layered velocity samples assigned to midi notes over a range of midi velocities, using SFZ files.
    However, it appears that session drummer applies control of the playback/ouput levels of samples relative to the midi velocity.

Assuming i have multi-samples of a drum hit they will naturally have increasing volumes as the drum is hit harder, as youd expect from a "real" drum.
    Couple this with the velocity level applied by session drummer and my drum samples sound less authentic.
    I get the sum of the recorded output-level of the drum plus the controlled output level of the session drummer kit-piece.

If i adjust all the samples so they have the same level output, therefore letting session drummer control the output level, any ambience recorded is inconsistent.

So, what i am asking, is how can i make session drummer output the same volume level for a set kit piece but playback various samples (defined in my SFZ file) realted to midi velocity?

hope that makes sense and someone can assist.

thanks

You can try adding the following opcode to each sfz that you don't want to have velocity tracking on amplitude:

<global>
    amp_veltrack=0

post edited by chad - 2010/10/01 12:11:56
    Steve_O
    Re:session drummer:disabling velocity levels 2010/10/03 18:33:56 (permalink)
    many thanks.
    this is exactly what i was looking for.
    greatly appreciated!

mszelenyi
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:session drummer:disabling velocity levels 2011/03/25 12:16:50 (permalink)
    Steve_O,

I realize it has been a while since you asked this question, but I'm having the same problem and was wondering if that global amp_veltrack parameter solved this for you in SD2.

Thanks for any comment.

/mark
    Steve_O
    Re:session drummer:disabling velocity levels 2011/03/26 05:56:51 (permalink)
    blimey, yep, it has been a while. (in fact that long, i'd forgotten about it)
    As i mentioned in my last post, it did work and got me the results i was seeking.
    good luck

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1