sfz technical(ish) questions

Author
mikusan
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
2007/06/16 15:27:59 (permalink)

sfz technical(ish) questions

Hi, I've just started to dip my toes into sfz programming (by converting some of Dimension Pro's excellent drum sfz definitions for use in Session Drummer 2) and I've got a couple of questions.
1) Is there a formula to determine velocity mapping across a given number of samples for a given instrument? For example, a snare drum uses two samples, sample 1 is triggered between velocity 0 and 80, and sample 2 is triggered between 81 and 127. I've noticed that all multisampled drums are shared unevenly like this, so I assume it's deliberate, but is this sharing judged by ear or is there more science to it?
2) I've figured out that the 'group' opcode can be used to set up choke groups (eg open/closed hihats) but what does it mean when the region isn't switched off by the 'offby' opcode?
Hope somebody here can help,
post edited by mikusan - 2007/06/16 18:01:54

2 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: sfz technical(ish) questions 2007/06/16 21:17:20 (permalink)
    1). Velocity is a linear scale: 0-127. Your ears perceive loudness in a (roughly) logarithmic way. So velocity split points do depend on personal taste, the core samples that you're using, and how many of them you use. But it's very often not as cut-and dried as 'half and half'.

2). Group= is an organizational tool. Whatever happens with this exclusive group won't affect any other groups, or anything else that isn't designated by a group. I'll use the first DimPro .sfz file that you'll run into as an example here. [Accoustic bd & sd.sfz under 02 - Drums]. Scroll down to the bottom for the choke groups. You'll see:
    <region> sample=Accoustic Bd & Sd\closed hat 01.wav key=c7 group=1
    <region> sample=Accoustic Bd & Sd\closed hat 02.wav key=c#7 group=1
    <region> sample=Accoustic Bd & Sd\open hat 01.wav key=d7 off_by=1
    <region> sample=Accoustic Bd & Sd\open hat 02.wav key=d#7 off_by=1
    <region> sample=Accoustic Bd & Sd\crash.wav key=f7
    Change the second line above to group=2. Now the closed hat 02.wav at c#7 will no longer choke the open hats below it (with off_by=1).

So let's choke the crash.wav with it instead, by adding off_by=2:
    <region> sample=Accoustic Bd & Sd\closed hat 01.wav key=c7 group=1
    <region> sample=Accoustic Bd & Sd\closed hat 02.wav key=c#7 group=2
    <region> sample=Accoustic Bd & Sd\open hat 01.wav key=d7 off_by=1
    <region> sample=Accoustic Bd & Sd\open hat 02.wav key=d#7 off_by=1
    <region> sample=Accoustic Bd & Sd\crash.wav key=f7 off_by=2
    It's a convenient way to keep one sample affecting only those samples that you choose, and separately from any other choke groups that you may want to set up. Notice that this group= has nothing to do with the <group> opcode at the top of this file. That's a way to group parameters across all <region>s that follow (until it runs into another <group> opcode). In this particular case, it sets all of the <region>s in the file to one shot mode.
    post edited by b rock - 2007/06/16 21:32:28
    mikusan
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: sfz technical(ish) questions 2007/06/17 13:45:11 (permalink)
    Thanks b rock, I kind of expected the velocity relationship to be logarithmic, that's why I was hoping there was some table or formula I could use rather than just my ears. Not that there's anything wrong with my ears, it's just life's too short for some things...
    The group opcode: if you look at 'Pro Dry Kit 01', you'll see that the Kicks are put into group 3, but there's no 'offby' opcode to switch that region off. My first thought was that it was just a result of copying and pasting blocks of text, but then I saw that the snares were group 20 (also not switched off), so I wondered if there was some programming 'trick' I was missing out on.
    Thanks again for the info, much appreciated.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1