sonar 6 pro on samsung netbook

Author
vitalstates
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
2010/08/15 13:28:03 (permalink)

sonar 6 pro on samsung netbook

its ages since I looked in here, so long I almost feel like a newby....

I recently had a need to load my version 6 pro onto a netbook in order to lay down some double bass tracks(I can't get the double bass into the studio room - don't ask)...any way....

I keep getting dropouts

I've taken almost all processes out of the netbook, turned avast off, disabled all unnecessary bits of hardware...but it still keeps giving dropouts when I'm tracking. The processor usage meter bounces around e.g 10-15-5-45-55-10-15 etc, alternating between processor 1 and 2.

the disc usage meter stays on zero.

I have no plugs or processes running, 1 audio track plus the track I am recording.

I have dropped the latency to 20ms
I have changed the audio buffer between 128, 64, 32

I am using a behringer 2 channel usb uca222 interface with asio(i think) driver.

none of my changes makes any difference...

anybody got any ideas?

Ed

www.vitalstates.co.uk

4 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:sonar 6 pro on samsung netbook 2010/08/15 13:48:10 (permalink)

am using a behringer 2 channel usb uca222 interface with asio(i think) driver.

Dont think and make sure. Also make sure you have the latest drivers form behringer. Nut behringer is not known for making good interfaces with good drivers, so I do not know how good that card is and how good the drivers are.

have changed the audio buffer between 128, 64, 32

what exactly are you changing? The I/O buffers or are you going into the ASIO control panel and changing those buffers. You need to change the ASIO buffers.

Why not try WDM driver mode.
    Do you also have another 720RPM drive for audio only? You should have one, especially when using a laptop, because most drivers are 5400RPM

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:sonar 6 pro on samsung netbook 2010/08/16 11:07:09 (permalink)
    Ed , uncheck your onboard card... if thats enabled.. then you can't select asio for the behringer..

make your default windows soundcard, the onboard

make the behringer the timing master in sonar

and up the asio buffers it's allowed to use e.g. if it's 128, up  it to 256 etc
    defrag the hard drive

someone has posted here running a netbook , but well it has it's limitations.

vitalstates
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re:sonar 6 pro on samsung netbook 2010/08/16 13:03:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies chaps...

The behringer was using the microsoft usb audio driver dated sometime in 2001. I looked but couldn't find a later version.

verdict here is that no matter how many processes I removed and how I configured the i/o buffers, or how I set the latency, it randomly dropped out - infuriatingly!

I tried with the ASIO4ALL(my bad, Sonar wasn't picking it up cos I hadn't selected the right option) and the only way I could stop the stuttering was to put the buffer up to 1024. This was way too much latency.....

I have got a workaround now.....I tracked the bass in energyxt(the free DAW that came with the behringer interface) and transferred the wave file into the sonar machine that runs in the studio.

verdict: those netbooks(n270 atom) don't seem to like running sonar with a usb interface.......or at least, mine doesn't

Ed

www.vitalstates.co.uk
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:sonar 6 pro on samsung netbook 2010/08/16 13:29:53 (permalink)
    The behringer was using the microsoft usb audio driver dated sometime in 2001. I looked but couldn't find a later version.

I dont understand why your using such outdated drivers and Wrong drivers.
    Go to behringer's website to download their drivers for that specific sound card

Use the driver written for that card, not ASIO or some window generic driver!!
    If the behringer driver doesnt work, then it is what it is. Behringer was never know for making good or decent sound cards with good or decent drivers.
    Replacement may be the only fix if nothing else works, but please do a little research about it next time
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1