stuck notes in GPO playback as Dxi

Author
stevemusicmartin
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2005/08/13 06:10:59 (permalink)

stuck notes in GPO playback as Dxi

Hello to anyone who can help me with this one.
I am using Garritan Personal Orchestra, and I'm using it as a DXi, I can't use it as a VST as the certain files that handled that have been removed on purpose, as I could not access the controller pane and change values etc with midi imported files for playback through GPO.
I'm getting stuck notes when there are long notes held over a tempo change, and the solution on the GPO tutorial page is to put another note after them, and make it silent. This works sometimes, but then in another orchestral part, the stuck notes then start happening there instead. I came across something on an internet search saying that apparently this is cause by some kind of looping with midi information, and one solution was to turn the "Midi Thru" off. But I cannot find anything in the Home Studio where there is an option to turn the "midi thru" off. Probably under a different name for the same process, or just not there at all.
Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?..and yes it IS on the places where there is a change in the tempo, I switched to the tempo view, and sure enough, when I played the midi score back, that's where the notes got stuck.
any ideas? I'm hoping that someone out there has solved the same problem.

7 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: stuck notes in GPO playback as Dxi 2005/08/13 10:47:35 (permalink)
    I can't use it as a VST as the certain files that handled that have been removed on purpose, as I could not access the controller pane and change values etc with midi imported files for playback through GPO.

What's up with that?

Home Studio calls MIDI THRU "Echo Mode". Go to Options-Project-MIDI Input and set Echo Mode to either None or Auto.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: stuck notes in GPO playback as Dxi 2005/08/13 11:04:59 (permalink)
    It's a known bug but not of GPO DXi but of Cakewalk and other sequencers because of the way they handle MIDI for Note On Values of "0" sent when releasing a note, instead of the expected Note Off message., so far nobody at Garritan really has addressed this but besides using the VST versions , there are other workarounds you probably want to take a look in here such as the MIDI fixer and adding notes. I own a copy and have the VST version that for some reason crashes on my system so I only use DXi
    stevemusicmartin
    RE: stuck notes in GPO playback as Dxi 2005/08/14 03:43:13 (permalink)
    oK, thanks guys for the information. Bad luck for me - none of them worked - I also brought the midi program for stuck notes, and it didn't work for it either.

I did have another success though - I tried playing it through GPO studio - playing it out through a midi function. No Stuck notes!!! could not believe it - I had a few rumbles in some places where there were orchestral tuttis etc. I then recorded it - flushed with success, only to be dissappointed as the recording was great, but there were scratchy crackly sounds all through it.What next? any ideas?
    boten
    RE: stuck notes in GPO playback as Dxi 2005/08/14 10:31:19 (permalink)
    Sorry, but never tried GPO studio. I always use it as a plugin in SHS.
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: stuck notes in GPO playback as Dxi 2005/08/14 10:56:55 (permalink)
    Crackly noise usually means your latency setting is too low for your computer.

What is your computer's specs? CPU speed, memory, disk, version of Windows, etc.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    boten
    RE: stuck notes in GPO playback as Dxi 2005/08/14 18:05:48 (permalink)
    Try this: Download this program (it's a VST host, for free) and after installing it, try loading the VST version of GPO. If it doesn't work, then there are some conflicts with the GPO installation process or due to whatever you have done with the installed files. You might need to uninstall GPO altogether and re-install everything including VST and DXi versions (provided you have a legal copy of it).
    post edited by boten - 2005/08/14 18:12:00
    stevemusicmartin
    RE: stuck notes in GPO playback as Dxi 2005/08/17 07:00:31 (permalink)
    Hello Dave, and Boten, and all the others who have helped me out with this problem.

I rang the store where I brought my Cubase from, [I didn't buy home Studio from them], and apparently my soundcard is known for having problems with Windows XP. I've just purchased a M-Audio sound card, which will probably fix the problems iI'm experiencing.
    After i've installed it, I'll tell you how I go. I did have my computer mother board upgraded, and a very fast Pentium 4 processor installed. Sibelius, GPO etc all work wonderfully well now. I'll certainly have a look at this VST download.
    Thank you to all of you for the help. I'll let you know how I go.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1