studio setups

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
kenmuzteach
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
2007/08/09 15:57:02 (permalink)

studio setups

These forums have been extremely educational. I would like to ask those of you who may be like me in that your recording is mainly limited to a small mix of few instruments (keybds, vocals, guitar) what your home studio setup consists of. I have been using an older mixer, as I thought it would be logical, but the more I have been instructed via this forum, I wonder if it is really necessary to even have, perhaps I should just be utilizing preamps between my instruments and pc. Perhaps the mixer just complicates the signal? So, for you who are not necessarily in the career of sound recording but are the successful hobbyists. Please let me know your setups. I have so much to learn and this forum has been excellent!

Thanks!

Ken

33 Replies Related Threads

cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/09 16:11:49 (permalink)
    Hey Ken,

I have a bunch of hardware synths in my home studio and I also record vox, guitar, and bass. I used to use a Soundcraft mixer, but replaced it last year with a MOTU 828mkII soundcard. It has 8 line ins for my synths and 2 Neutrik mic/instrument inputs on the front panel w/built-in preamps that I use for guitar and bass. It has simplified things for me and saved me a ton of desk space. The MOTU's pres work pretty well for vox IMO, but I purchased a Joe Meek ThreeQ preamp a few months ago specifically for recording vox and have been very pleased with it. It has a built-in compressor, which is definitely helpful when tracking vox. The ThreeQ does color the sound a bit, so some people love 'em and others hate 'em, but I think that having an outboard preamp for vox will definitely improve the quality of your recordings and give you some flexibility without having to use a mixer.

What are you currently using for a soundcard?

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

MandolinPicker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/09 16:14:35 (permalink)
    I got into this as an off-shoot of doing live sound and recording at church. It was a way for me to 'practice' if you will, and it has turned into a very nice hobby.

When we started, I was just trying to get sound into the PC. I used a $5.00 mic from Walmart, a SoundBlaster card and regular computer speakers. As time went on, we slowly changed/upgraded as finances and learning would allow. First was the sound card, changing to a M-Audio 2496. Next came a small Behringer mixer, the Eurorack 802A (which they no longer make). After that it was two microphone upgrades; a Samson C01 condensor and a Shure SM58 (each one is under $100). Then came the monitors, Edirol MA-10D (about $150 IIRC). This is pretty much the setup we have now. We did recently get a M-Audio FastTrack USB interface for the laptop, so we can take it on vacation and have fun.

There are other things you will need as well. Cables, adapters, stands, etc. There is also the 'requirement' to get at least several books (and regular forum visitors know Scott Garrigus' Sonar series is a requirement). Then we added/upgraded instruments as well (our mandolin was upgraded for about $1500, plus an electric guitar, autoharp and soon a new dulcimer). Lastly, software is always a moving target. And we hope to upgrade computer hardware in the near future as well.

Don't think you need to get everything at once, or that you have to buy the most expensive thing out there. You can make decent recordings that your family and friends can enjoy. The main thing is for you to get enjoyment out of it. Remember, its music. Its supposed to be fun!

The Mandolin Picker
    "Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/09 16:19:40 (permalink)
    I have a Mackie 1604 mixer. Originally, I used it for running my sources through when recording. Then after recording, I would use it for mixing. Now, it is primarily used just for monitoring.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/09 16:24:24 (permalink)
    Ken,

I wouldn't trade my mixer for anything. Even though they have some pretty cool monitoring on sound cards these days, you can't beat the zero latency from a mixer IMO.
    As your setup grows, you can still use it as your central routing device.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    rchristiejr
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1342
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/09 16:25:24 (permalink)
    I am using a mackie 1604 for monitoring only. I like to be able to quickly (hands on) adjust volumes. (What a waste for the 1604)

RFC JR
    Pure Desires~~

tubeydude
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 904
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/09 16:32:11 (permalink)
    I use 2 firepods with my setup. I also have 2 eurekas that I'll use on bass and vocals. I certainly don't need anymore than that any time soon. I might want more, but I sure don't need it.

Erik

j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/09 16:34:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: themidiroom

Ken,

I wouldn't trade my mixer for anything. Even though they have some pretty cool monitoring on sound cards these days, you can't beat the zero latency from a mixer IMO.
    As your setup grows, you can still use it as your central routing device.

Right on... I've often wondered why folks who go the boutique preamp route wouldn't want the convenience of setting up a mixer with their routings, etc. and then they don't have to be on their hands and knees all the time plugging and unplugging...
    kenmuzteach
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/09 17:09:53 (permalink)
    Keep em coming folks! Great help to me. LOL, Mandolinpicker, I actually also have the Eurorack802a! Seems to work for now. My question further on this regarding vocals...is the built in preamp in the mixer enough, or should I ad on a better pre for vocal coloring? all are welcome to respond. Also Mandolin, please see my question regarding setup since you have same mixer. Thanks!

Ken
    kenmuzteach
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/09 17:12:40 (permalink)
    MandolinPicker
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/09 21:28:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kenmuzteach

Question for Mandolin picker

Yes sir, what can I help you with?
    post edited by MandolinPicker - 2007/08/09 21:36:29

The Mandolin Picker

kenmuzteach
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/10 10:05:51 (permalink)
    Mandolin,

Thanks for the clear explanations, I am modeling your setup!

Thanks!

Ken
    dantesjuice
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 364
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/10 10:52:45 (permalink)
    Yeah, i try to keep my home studio as simple as possible.

I mainly track guitars, bass, keys and vocals...all my drums are programmed.

Anyway, i too used to have a mixer but ended up getting rid of it because it was big and noisy...and eventually 12 of the 15 channels stopped working. Really the only reason i was using it was because i was tired of always connecting and disconnecting my instruments from my sound card. This way i was able to just leave everything plugged in. But now that i have my Presonus Firepod, (has 8 xlr inputs on the front) i can get the same result and skip the mixer all together. The Firepod also has many line outs, spidif, main outs for monitors and cue out for headphones...great little unit for the money!!

post edited by dantesjuice - 2007/08/10 10:56:29

"5 out of 4 people have a problem with fractions..."

S6PE | DFH 2 | Reason 3 | Vetta II | PodXTPro | Behringer T1951 | BBE 482 | Nady TMP3 | Presonus Firepod |
    Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus | Intel PD 3.2 | 4 gig PE 800 | WD sata2

www.dantesjuice.com
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/10 11:37:43 (permalink)
    I have a bunch of hardware synths in my home studio and I also record vox, guitar, and bass. I used to use a Soundcraft mixer, but replaced it last year with a MOTU 828mkII soundcard.

Same here. The old mixer is gathering dust in the closet.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    kenmuzteach
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/10 12:12:44 (permalink)
    wow, what a nice setup you have. I'm just starting obviously and have wires everywhere! where can you get desk equip like that for specific home studio with limited space (bedroom)? Also, what means do you all suggest for drums for a non-drummer? I tried beatcraft but don't have the patience to mathematically figure everything out for each pattern, especially when I don't want to be boring. I'm not a fan of session drummer either for the same reason.

Thanks!
    kenmuzteach
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/10 12:17:37 (permalink)
    can you explain to a newbie the functionality of presonus you described? I see it has no xlr for mics, isnt that connection preferred?

Thanks
    dantesjuice
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/10 12:25:11 (permalink)
    Thank you ken!

Yeah, the desk was $199 from Guitar Center over here in san diego, and the cool thing about it besides the 2x 4 rack space is the cable tray in the back. i used to have a huge freak'n spider web of cables and wires, but now theyre all nice and tucked in along the tray. =)

as far as drums go, i do all my drum programming with Drum Kit from hell 2. i use it as a soft synth insert and use the midi piano roll to draw in my hits. i used to use reasons redrum....i had that rewired to sonar, then moved to battery 2...then went back to redrum...then finally got dfh2 and never looked back. the drum samples are amazing!!!

S6PE | DFH 2 | Reason 3 | Vetta II | PodXTPro | Behringer T1951 | BBE 482 | Nady TMP3 | Presonus Firepod |

www.dantesjuice.com
    dantesjuice
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/10 12:28:44 (permalink)
    O, the presonus Firepod does have xlr inputs, look alittle closer at the pic and you'll be able to see...8 to be exact...and their "hybrid" meaning, 1 xlr connector can also have a 1/4 inch cable plugged into the center as well. currently i have 2 xlr and 2 1/4 cables plugged into mine. 2 for my stereo guitar rig, and the 2 1/4 for my stereo bass rig.

basicly the presonus firepod is the soundcard interface. you hook up all your instruments to it, then connect it to your computer using firewire. =)

www.dantesjuice.com
    Jose7822
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10031
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/10 12:31:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dantesjuice

Thank you ken!

Yeah, the desk was $199 from Guitar Center over here in san diego, and the cool thing about it besides the 2x 4 rack space is the cable tray in the back. i used to have a huge freak'n spider web of cables and wires, but now theyre all nice and tucked in along the tray. =)

as far as drums go, i do all my drum programming with Drum Kit from hell 2. i use it as a soft synth insert and use the midi piano roll to draw in my hits. i used to use reasons redrum....i had that rewired to sonar, then moved to battery 2...then went back to redrum...then finally got dfh2 and never looked back. the drum samples are amazing!!!

+1 on DFH, great product and sounds. I also used to use Redrum to program my drums but with DFHS that is a thing of the past. You can use Sonar's PRV or just input the notes via your keyboard controller (whichever is better for you). HTH.
    kenmuzteach
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/10 13:03:02 (permalink)
    dante, let me pick your brain from a musician, non engineer person...to midi or not midi is always my concern. I have a yamaha cp300 that has awesome sounds that I use. I don't have any midi plugin synths other than the ones that came with sonar. None of these sounds really come close to what I want so i stick with audio. I know that using a drumkit as you mentioned is better but is always midi driven. My concern is I would love to utilize this product, but I am always one to lay down keyboard first and drums after as I find it difficult to map an entire song from a drums first standpoint. (It's hard to feel grooves without melody and chords underneath). So, because I record audio on keys, I am locked into tempos, etc, which forces the drums to match up exactly, which is hard to do after the fact. I guess my basic question is how can I utilize the sounds from my keyboard and a drum kit properly and effectively? Is there a way to make my keyboards own sounds MIDI? I'm still confused by this all despite reading lots. You seem like a patient guy, thanks for the help.
    dantesjuice
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/10 13:47:14 (permalink)
    yeah man, i totally know how it is to be stuck with so many questions or being able to do the same thing 100 different ways and get the same end result.

if you really like the audio samples in your keyboard, then use them. for me, i track my drums first, then guitars, synth, then bass. when i track synth, i use the roland softsynth that comes with sonar, or the pentagon. but you can draw the midi hits in the piano roll, then assign midi out to your keyboards midi in, then use your audio out from your keyboard into your sound card. that way when the timeline moves over the hit, it will send the signal to your keyboard and your keyboard will send out the audio to your sound card into sonar.

anyway, as far as drums go. if you like the feel of using the keyboard, you can use your keyboard to trigger your drum samples as well. basicly once its set up, when you hit one of the keys, it will draw the hit in the piano roll. then when you play back, the midi hits will trigger your drum sampler...ie...dfh2, bfd, and so on.

www.dantesjuice.com
    MandolinPicker
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/10 14:04:53 (permalink)
    One option that you can use that may help in getting the 'feel' for the music that you are getting ready to record is to lay down a scratch track. For me, I use the guitar and a vocal mic, on a stereo track, with both L and R track panned to the center. We record the song using a click track. This is then used as a foundation to build off of.

Now I can set up a track for drums, and have it match the scratch track. Next, I may lay down the main rhythm guitar track. Then we might lay down a mandolin track. Each track is layed down while listening to the scratch track as well as the previously recorded tracks. The last tracks to lay down are typically vocals. I tend to do lead vocal first, then backgrounds. When done, we mute the scratch track.

This lets us record the majority of the song using the scratch track as our guide instead of the click track. Because the click track isn't there, it doesn't seem to have the rigidity. If you check in the Techniques section, I believe there was a rather lengthy discussion about just this topic not very long ago.

The Mandolin Picker

kenmuzteach
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/10 17:28:11 (permalink)
    Thanks so much! Do you use a compressor? If so, is it best before input (using hardware) or utilizing sonars after the recording?
    dantesjuice
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/10 17:35:28 (permalink)
    well, in my personal opinion, i think hardware compressors first in most applications work best, that way you get a good strong consistant signal into your soundcard or interface. you'll lave less level correction editing to do later if your input signals are all nice and consistant.

for vocals i use the nady tmp3 into firepod. for guitars i use the built in compressor from my vetta II and for bass i use the compressor built into the line 6 pod xt pro.

since my drums are programmed, i use the "drum destroyer" patch in the sonitus:fx compressor that in sonar. and as of yet, i havent needed to compress my synths.
    post edited by dantesjuice - 2007/08/10 17:44:01

www.dantesjuice.com
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/10 19:06:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kenmuzteach

Thanks so much! Do you use a compressor? If so, is it best before input (using hardware) or utilizing sonars after the recording?

Although you'll probably get a lot of answers (about a million, all different), that's really too broad a question to be answered directly. Kinda like asking, should I use a guitar and if so, is electric better or acoustic? Should I play an E chord or an A chord? It's all about horses for courses.

OTOH maybe the answer is 42...
    Rajay1
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 173
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/12 11:40:59 (permalink)
    I was almost ready to dump my 2 1604s. I have a couple friends who produce. When I visited one of them who has a 48 channel Yamaha and another larger British console, He was sitting there tweaking a live mix using his 1604 and a powerbook. I asked him why. He said it was much easier and the difference in sound was minimal so I'm keeping mine. He surely has enough credits that I can believe him. Of course, since I've switched from using several Akai and E-MU hardware samplers to almost exclusively software, one of them is completely stripped. Still kinda strange to see all those patch cords missing.

Rajay
    SPE6.2.1,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,StylusRMX,Trilogy,VGuitarist2, Battery3,B4II,CoolEditPro2.1,TranslatorPro,IBM M51 P4530 3GHzHT 4GBDDR 80GBSATA,2xWD149GBFW,KurzweilK2500XL,Event 20/20,2xMackie 1604,Delta1010, MidiTimepiece AV, MX8,On and on....
    ZenFly
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/12 11:56:34 (permalink)
    I use a mixer for routing, pre-amps, mixing and control surface. The mixer is routed into a MOTU2408 mk3 via 3 TDIF cables so I get 16 buss out , 24 in at 48/24bit. I've used this set up for going on 2 years now and am very happy with it. Being an "old school" engineer who learned on analog tape (cassettes to 2") I prefer the hands on aspects afforded by this setup. It ain't perfect, but for perfection you can spend 50k-200K on a pro-tools icon rig. I do this for fun in my tiny 10X10 converted bedroom studio. I find it amazing the amount of power available for a few grand compared to when I started in 1979 with a Teac 3340 4 track.
    post edited by ZenFly - 2007/08/12 12:05:22
    Rajay1
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/12 12:16:24 (permalink)
    Zenfly I'm gonna have to start calling you Zenmaster! You're almost old as me. I learned starting in '69 at Sounds of Birmingham studios where there were 16 Wollensak 2 tracks mounted in the wall, synced to a 2" master and a 64 channel board. Didn't start my own until around '85. I think I had a Commodore 64 then. Still have that 5 1/4" sequencer disc. Long story short, there's always been a fascination with all those knobs! Still need mine though 'cause I run several outboard dynamic effects like exciters, comps and verbs to ease the strain on my CPU.

Rajay
    SPE6.2.1,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,StylusRMX,Trilogy,VGuitarist2, Battery3,B4II,CoolEditPro2.1,TranslatorPro,IBM M51 P4530 3GHzHT 4GBDDR 80GBSATA,2xWD149GBFW,KurzweilK2500XL,Event 20/20,2xMackie 1604,Delta1010, MidiTimepiece AV, MX8,On and on....
    Rajay1
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/12 12:27:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dantesjuice

Yeah, i try to keep my home studio as simple as possible.

Yeah! I wish I could keep my desk that tidy! Man I have lyric scratchpads, chord scratchpads, manuals, even lottery tickets! Kudos to you Mr. Clean!

Rajay
    dantesjuice
    RE: studio setups 2007/08/12 12:34:06 (permalink)
    Lol...its my OCD...if my desk isnt clean and symmetrical i'll go insane!

www.dantesjuice.com
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1