Helpful Replysubscription based sonar may be on the way?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Maurice_Pleazee
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 60
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/27 15:13:56 (permalink)
I'm also not interested in a subscription based Sonar. I've been using Sonar X3 Producer for a year. It is so much more than I need. In fact, before I upgraded I was perfectly happy using Sonar 8.5. The Melodyne integration was what enticed me to upgrade. I can't imagine that the next version of Sonar will offer anything that would be so amazing that I would want to upgrade. But you never know...
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/27 16:07:24 (permalink)
Hey, I just got the email with the survey today!   

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/27 16:51:35 (permalink)
they're obviously sending them out in batches.  I just got a survey today, too.

BATCHES?????  WE DOn NEED NO STINKIN BATCHES!!!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/27 17:23:56 (permalink)
spacey

Does not a free trial for software work for those wanting to "test the waters" ? And that's free with no risk .

We're talking about a DAW here.  To evaluate whether or not it's your cup of tea, you've really got to commit to learning it and to learn it, you really need to use it extensively, IMO.  Download a synth or effect - sure no problem to evaluate it in a brief amount of time.  But not so a DAW - again, just IMO.
spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/27 17:27:50 (permalink)
dmbaer
spacey

Does not a free trial for software work for those wanting to "test the waters" ? And that's free with no risk .

We're talking about a DAW here.  To evaluate whether or not it's your cup of tea, you've really got to commit to learning it and to learn it, you really need to use it extensively, IMO.  Download a synth or effect - sure no problem to evaluate it in a brief amount of time.  But not so a DAW - again, just IMO.

Wished you would have been here when I got Omnisphere.

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/27 17:40:14 (permalink)
I do think 30 days is not enough time to properly evaluate a DAW.  i suppose that is where Reaper gets it right...at least from the consumer's perspective.  i suspect sitting on the AOL nest egg money from selling winamp gives them the security to use an honor system that leads many to consider the program free. i still would not pay what amounts to full price to evaluate a product for a year.
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/28 08:26:19 (permalink)
So...essentially, if you don't continue the subscription......

You get held up, and your data gets held for ransom.

Sounds like cryptolocker to me.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/28 08:37:12 (permalink)
Guitarhacker

I have taken the survey.  I did not see this anywhere in the survey, nor have I read anything from the bakers stating this would be the case. 
this may be what happens with some software subscriptions, but it doesn't mean cake will be taking that road.

don't get me wrong, I'm not "for" having a subscription service - I'd rather have a choice when/where to pay for my upgrades.  but I don't think anyone has said that it would be a ransom situation for your projects if you don't pay the subscription fees.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/28 13:40:34 (permalink)
I'm still running SONAR Producer v4.  It works and does what I need.

I can't imagine what it will be like if you can't make a payment and then have no way to use anything you've been working on.

All of the arguments seem to be comparing between paying for upgrades or having a subscription.  What about just knowing that your software will still work a few years down the road if you DON'T upgrade?

Heck, a LOT of companies are still using XP Pro as their OS...

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
dubdisciple
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/28 15:01:46 (permalink)
Guitarhacker

that is assuming an Adobe like structure.  Who knows, they may have something in mind much less restrictive.  I think it's probably best that we see what they have in mind, if anything at all, regarding subscription model before we get too worked up.  I think it's clear that the Adobe model will not work for them.
Zonno
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 999
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/28 16:56:28 (permalink)
This is the question in question:

Cakewalk, Reason 10, KOMPLETE 11, BIAB 2018, Roland OctaCapture, Finale 26, PCR-300, HP ZBook, Guitars 
dubdisciple
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/28 17:06:34 (permalink)
I commented on the next session that i wished they had given me a none of the above option
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/28 17:43:05 (permalink)
Zonno

I answered "Pay $99 once per year" to that.

If I remember correctly, the next question asked you to explain why you had chosen the option you did...

... to which I replied "Because it is cheaper"

But I do see the point of the question, as obviously some people prefer to pay a slight premium to spread their payments instead of stumping up a lump sum (I'm guessing the $99 gets paid up front).

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/28 17:49:17 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK
Zonno

If I remember correctly, the next question asked you to explain why you had chosen the option you did...

But I do see the point of the question, as obviously some people prefer to pay a slight premium to spread their payments instead of stumping up a lump sum (I'm guessing the $99 gets paid up front).

That's what I thought as well.   And it does include "...assuming you get the same benefits", however that might be intended.  

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/28 18:54:56 (permalink)
stevec
SteveStrummerUK
Zonno

That's what I thought as well.   And it does include "...assuming you get the same benefits", however that might be intended.  

I don't understand any of it.
For Cake to be asking if a person needs or wants payment options for a friggin' amount that is less than what it takes to take a family out to eat a good dinner then this world is in a much crazier state than I could have ever imagined. NOT because there are people that can't afford to take their family out to eat but because someone that can't afford to do that is spending money on a friggin DAW when obviously they should be hanging on to it for their family needs.
Please don't anyone try to explain this to me. At this point I really don't want to know anything else about this weird **** - I won't be reading, wasting my time reading this stupid **** again. Glad I didn't get the email.

Andrew Rossa
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/29 11:24:38 (permalink)
spacey
stevec
SteveStrummerUK
Zonno

I don't understand any of it.
For Cake to be asking if a person needs or wants payment options for a friggin' amount that is less than what it takes to take a family out to eat a good dinner then this world is in a much crazier state than I could have ever imagined. NOT because there are people that can't afford to take their family out to eat but because someone that can't afford to do that is spending money on a friggin DAW when obviously they should be hanging on to it for their family needs.
Please don't anyone try to explain this to me. At this point I really don't want to know anything else about this weird **** - I won't be reading, wasting my time reading this stupid **** again. Glad I didn't get the email.

Doesn't hurt to ask now, does it? Or maybe it does...

Andrew Rossa
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/29 11:30:02 (permalink)
Let me just reiterate that this survey is only to understand user behavior in today's market place. I believe we had a similar question a few years back about subscription service and still there's no subscription service for SONAR. I don't think anyone has any reason to fear us changing to the Adobe model. Maybe I know too much but it's just one question (of about 35 that we asked) that helps us understand what products consumers are using. Maybe this is a stretch but it's like us asking what iOS apps you use and why you like them (or not) and then you concluding that we are dropping desktop support for SONAR. 

So to everyone who is speculating...relax. We are trying to make SONAR better for you (I swear). 
dubdisciple
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/29 11:35:20 (permalink)
*makes note to never ask spacey a question unless heb is 100% sure spacey will like question.
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: subscription based sonar may be on the way? 2014/10/29 13:43:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk] 2014/10/29 15:03:34
THAT'S IT!

NO SUBSCRIPTIONS FOR YOU!

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1