Helpful Replysyncing an external keyboard with Sonar

Author
mwmcbroom
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 100
2017/12/12 04:50:29 (permalink)

syncing an external keyboard with Sonar

I've done this before, but it was lotsa years ago, and I no longer remember what to do.

I have a Casio digital piano that I've just hooked up to a Win7 PC running Sonar Platinum. I've figured out how to get Sonar to send MIDI info to the keyboard, but the problem I'm encountering is the keyboard is playing out of sync with the other instruments, which are just plain MIDI. To be more clear, the kb is actually playing the MIDI part through its own built-in speakers.

The problem I've run into is the kb is actually playing its part maybe an eighth note ahead of all the other instruments. Heck, I would have thought, if anything, it would be behind the others by a small amount, but not preceding them.

I'm just not familiar anymore with all the various controls that Cakewalk has having to do with controlling the timing of an instrument. And I don't want to start just clicking away at things cuz if it works I'll probably never realize exactly what I did to make it work, and if it doesn't then I may have made things worse. So if someone here would either point me toward a source that will clearly explain how to get things set so my external kb will play in sync or perhaps explain it, I'd really appreciate it.

My next big task will be to try and figure out how I can use some of this Casio's 700+ instruments in Sonar. Still haven't figured out yet how to bring the voices in as MIDI, or might I just have to bring them in as audio and (gasp) actually have to play the parts? I'm a guitarist, hence the (gasp).

Sure hope there's a way to get to the bottom of both these issues.

bvideo
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1707
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/12 07:46:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mwmcbroom 2017/12/12 17:24:02
The KB is playing out its own speakers almost instantaneously upon receiving MIDI notes.
Meanwhile, the DAW may be delaying its audio output for two different reasons. It's called latency.

Solution #1: hook the keyboard's audio output to one of your audio interface inputs, let that input echo through Sonar, and turn off the keyboard's speakers. Sonar will delay echoing the keyboard's input so that it matches its internal delay (latency).

Solution #2: find out the reason for Sonar's output delay. Usually it's one of two things:

reason#1: large audio buffers, usually configured that way by the user to avoid dropouts. Solution #2 might be to reduce Sonar's audio device driver buffers, maybe to 256 or lower, depending on what audio interface you use. If your audio interface demands large buffers, maybe solution #1 is best.

reason#2: using DSP effects (plug-ins) that require delay. These effects look "ahead" in the audio stream to compute effects for present time. Yes, that means they want to look at future audio before they generate current effects. Sounds a little crazy, but the DAW has to compensate by delaying audio output so these effects can get a sneak peek. It's called Plug-in Delay Compensation. So solution #2 might mean finding the effect you are using somewhere in your project that is demanding this latency. A test of whether latency compensation is your problem is to override PDC by setting the [PDC] button in your control bar. If this nearly eliminates Sonar's delay compared to your keyboard's speakers, then you need to find & eliminate a PDC-hungry plug-in. Of course overriding PDC can spoil the sound of some effects.

There's another cause of output delay that is not from Sonar; it's the Windows sound system MIDI synth. Just don't use it.

W10 pro, Sonar Platinum, Alesis Multimix 16 FW, MOTU Express 128, Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, i7 8700K, 16 Gigs, ssd + 2 X 2T disks, D50-MEX, JV80, A90EX, M1REX
Base 57
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 249
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/12 16:57:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mwmcbroom 2017/12/12 17:24:30
Go to Preferences/Audio/Sync and Caching and adjust the Timing Offset. Be aware that this is a universal setting and may create a problem with midi input timing (or even fix one you were unaware that you had).

mwmcbroom
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/12 17:26:24 (permalink)
Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. Your response has been helpful. I may respond to your points out of order, but I'll try to respond to all of them.

I'm well aware of latency. Fortunately my sound card, an M-Audio Delta 66, can achieve very low latency levels. I think that right now it's somewhere under 10ms. If I use the 1ms = 1 ft rule, this means it's the same as listening to my amplified guitar from less than 10 feet away. Good enough for me.

I haven't hooked the synth's audio outs up to the computer yet. Fortunately, my Delta card has a break-out box called "Omni IO" which is, essentially, a compact four channel mixer. So I'll be able to run my synth in through it.

I should probably back up and give you a clearer picture of my setup. When I built this machine, I built it as my DAW. But that was several years ago. We moved to a new home recently and I'm still dealing with boxes all over the place. I have not reassembled my DAW yet. So far, all I have going is the computer and this one keyboard. I have a couple of mixers, a few external effects processors, another keyboard, a Roland GR-33 guitar synth, and a Roland JV1010 synth, all of which I need to hook up to this machine. With the exception of the mixers, it's all still in boxes and I don't know which boxes all the stuff is in. So later on down the road, things are gonna get a whole lot more complicated than they are now. But still at the heart of the beast will be my trusty old Delta 66 card.

The Delta card usually defaults to 256 buffers. I often run it at 1024 if I'm getting some static in my output. But that doesn't seem to be a problem yet. I prefer running it at 24/96. 96k I've found, substantially reduces latency from slower rates, like 44.1k, for instance. In that little performance window, CPU tasking is pretty low. This is a fairly quick machine even if it's getting a little old now. I'm running Win7 64-bit, a 3.4 GHz processor, quad core, running 8 gigs of RAM, plus I have a huge amount of disk space -- 3 TB, little of which is occupied with programs and other data so far. I dunno when (or if) I'll be upgrading to Win10. So far I see no need for it. I'm perfectly content with Win7. It's the best OS M$ had ever produced, and that includes v8.x. But I dunno, maybe 10's better. I suppose if I were ever to get a laptop with a touch screen, I might want to run Win10. But I have an iPad for that.

The only way I can turn off this keyboard's speakers is to plug something into the headphones jack. One thing that would be illuminative would be to let the speakers be and play a piece with the kb running through my sound card's mixer -- see just how much latency is actually occurring. If under 10ms, it should still be noticeable but just barely. But the kb's earliness is approximating 125 ms, if I'm doing my mental math correctly, so I should definitely be able to see the difference. Tempo of the piece = 120 bpm or 2 beats per second, 1/4 beat early = 1/8 second= 125 ms.

I've brought this tune into Sonar as a MIDI type 1 file, and, as it sits, there are no effects at all associated with it yet. But I am using MS GS Wavetable Synth because that's the only one that comes up as a default. I don't like it much either. I like Cakewalk's TTS-1, but from what I understand it's just the GS Wavetable synth being run through a Cakewalk mixer, yes?. I have a few other software synths, but none of them supply the standard MIDI selection of instruments.  Well, anyway, I'll take a look at that, as well. IF I can get the Aria player that came with Band in a Box to work with Sonar, that'll give me quite a few sounds to choose from.

Hello Base 57, and thanks for your response. Will it make a difference if there is not yet any audio that Sonar is having to handle? Right now, it's all MIDI. Appreciate the tip, though. This could come in handy for when I am dealing with audio as well as MIDI.
Base 57
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 249
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/12 18:51:13 (permalink)

It's complicated. The Timing Offset in preferences is generally for tightening up the timing of external sequencers. As its calibrated in seconds, the offset is the same regardless of tempo. However it offsets input as well as output. For some users that is a good thing. For others it is the opposite of a good thing.

When you add Audio tracks to the mix along with tracks playing from the external synth it will be imperative that the midi be properly synced. Until audio is added it shouldn't really matter as long as all of the tracks play through the keyboard [suggest not using the audio metronome in SONAR but a simple midi click or drum track instead (reasons would be a whole nother thread)].

Another option is to use the Time offset option in the midi track inspector. The problem with that is it is set in ticks. So the offset would be different for different tempos.

And of course a third option is to use a Soft Synth like TTS-1 or Rapture, but that is outside the boundary of your question and so a different topic.

Best of luck to you

-Don't forget to set "Local Off" on your keyboard when looping through SONAR (or any other DAW).-

--edit to add this-
Don't confuse Timing Offset in Preferences Synchronization with the Record Latency Adjustment. The Timing Offset changes the MIDI clock not audio.
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/12 19:13:50 (permalink)
OK I'm glad I read your second post as that explains a lot more about your system.

With what you are doing there should be no delay. I think I know what your problem is..your midi routing. 

Most of the set up for using external sound hardware is found in preferences. 
You pick your audio interfaces Midi ports MIDI/Devices/Outputs/ Delta midi
Now in the OUTPUT selection of the midi track you select that as your output.. or a VST synth. I know it can be done but I've never sent a midi track to both a VST and external. I always just duplicate the tracks for those situations. I really stopped using external sounds a long time ago because the quality is always sub par for what I use inside Sonar now. 

I think your issue is for some reason you also involving the MS wavetable... don't use that bl;oody thing, it's terrible. 

You are way better off using Sonars many VST synths. The TTS-1 will automatically load up when you OPEN any GM midi file , but to do this you would have to go back to MIDI/Devices/ output and make sure nothing is selected first.
That's a great trick I use all the time. The song will play the way it was meant to sound. Then I just replace TTS-1 sounds with better VST's.  You can always go back and check your interface midi output after the song loads up if for some reason you have a sound in your keyboard you just can't live without.  TTS-1 is a lot better than Wavetable. Wavetable is like 4bit.   

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

bvideo
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/12 23:38:10 (permalink)
Right, TTS-1 is your best first choice right now. It is NOT "just the GS Wavetable synth being run through a Cakewalk mixer". The confusion may lie in the fact that TTS-1 can be used to emulate a General MIDI synth, which is what the Windows wavetable synth also does. Other people have experienced delay using the Windows synth too, so maybe replacing that would be a worthwhile next step.

W10 pro, Sonar Platinum, Alesis Multimix 16 FW, MOTU Express 128, Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, i7 8700K, 16 Gigs, ssd + 2 X 2T disks, D50-MEX, JV80, A90EX, M1REX
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/13 00:50:40 (permalink)
Could you set all the MIDI tracks to play through the keyboard?
I suppose it would be a problem if the patch you want to hear doesn't exist in the keyboard, though.
I record all my MIDI using my keyboard's sounds and later change them to soft synths. Or not.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
mwmcbroom
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/13 03:41:37 (permalink)
Okay, guys, thanks very much for your advice. It's gonna take me a while to work my way through everything you've outlined, but I will do so.

But right now I have an immediate, pressing problem that I've just discovered -- -having to do with Cakewalk TTS-1. Now, I've used TTS-1 before -- on this very machine -- and I happen to like it a lot. But for some really bizarre reason when I set it up just now TTS-1 is sounding terribly distorted. Honestly, I dunno if "distorted" is the right word. Horrendously out of phase seems to fit better. As far as I know, I haven't changed any of the settings that have to do with it. I've confirmed that it is TTS-1 too because if I set things back to MS GS Wavetable, the voice(s) return to normal -- or as normal as the GS Wavetable can sound, leastwise. If I load a VSTi, the sounds played through it are normal sounding. And if I set things up so that the sounds are playing through my Casio, they sound normal as well. It's just TTS-1. I haven't tried any other soft synths yet to see if it is a greater problem than just TTS-1. Guess I should do that next.

When I first set it up, there's that Insert Soft Synth Options popup you get, and I'm working on memory that's a little bit hazy here cuz it's been quite a while since the last time I encountered this popup, but all I did was check "Enable Midi Output" and I left everything else alone. By "everything else" I mean that under "Create These Tracks," the boxes "Midi Source" and "All Synth Audio Outputs: Stereo" were already checked and under "Open These Windows," "Synth Property Page" and "Synth Rack View" were already checked.

Down at the bottom, under "Display Automation Information On," the "First Synth Audio Track" was the selection on the drop down and "Recall Assignable Controls" is checked.

I've always just left everything alone and just checked "Enable Midi Output" when I wanted to enable a synth. I'm wondering if one of the defaults may have changed, leading to this unlistenable condition. I'm slowly working my way through every possible setting one at a time to see what is causing this problem, and it's probably gonna take me a while. Got any ideas where my TTS-1 setup got all crossways with itself?

Update: I've just discovered that things are even worse with Sample Tank v3. The instruments sound very distorted. With 5 instruments loaded into Sample Tank, it plays for a couple of seconds and then stops. A popup down at the bottom of the screen appears, which reads:

Audio Dropout
The audio engine has been stopped unexpectedly

And there's a help button to click on, which takes me to a Cakewalk web page where several dropout options are presented. Most of them I'm already familiar with. But I'll read through all of them anyway in the slim hopes that the solution may be presented. I'll update this thread if I find anything that works.

Update 2: I just tried loading all six instruments from a MIDI file into Cakewalk's TTS-1. Playback halted at the beginning of sounds. When I tapped on the spacebar, Sonar locked up (Not Responding). And it's staying in that condition, so it looks like things won't get sorted, and I'll have to dump Sonar, then I'll try restarting it.

Well, that's what I had to do. I restarted Sonar and reloaded the same MIDI file. This time, I selected a single instrument to be used with TTS-1. The rest I left at deaf. Same thing, I'm getting that weird out of phase distortion sort of sound. This is so aggravating. I'm running out of options to try.

post edited by mwmcbroom - 2017/12/13 18:50:04
mwmcbroom
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/13 04:37:26 (permalink)
I've been chipping away at the problem with my keyboard playing ahead. I tried something simple. I reduced the tempo of the song -- a lot. From 120 down to 80. What become immediately obvious is that it's playing ahead not by a tempo value, but by a time value. It's still playing ahead by a fractional amount, but now that I've slowed the tempo down, it's obvious that it isn't a quarter beat ahead. It's more like an eight of a second ahead. Sounds small, but that's 125ms and enough to drive one nuts.

So now I'm gonna go take a look at anything associated with time and not tempo.
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/13 15:49:57 (permalink)
I don't think you want to check "Enable MIDI Out" unless you want the MIDI to also drive another soft synth. And, if any of your MIDI tracks still have their inputs open, you may get unwanted sounds, i.e. the MIDI may play through those tracks as well.
While TTS-1 usually plays softly, it may be distorting since it sums all the synths to 1 output. I've gotten into the habit of always lowering a synth's volume before hitting play. My hearing is bad enough. Learned that from DreamStation DXi.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
Cactus Music
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/13 17:04:33 (permalink)
As I said , you don't want to send midi info unless your using your outboard gear. SHUT ALL THAT OFF . 
Your probabley getting a midi loop back as the TTS_1 is playing, sending midi out and it's coming back again. 

Try this. 
Go to midi devices/output uncheck everything. 
OPEN a GM midi file. This should open a new project and insert the TTS-1 automaticly. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

mwmcbroom
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/13 17:25:49 (permalink)
Okay, johnny V, I did as you recommended. The only thing to uncheck in MIDI Out was the GS Wavetable. So now all the instruments show <default> where a synth is supposed to be, and default is deaf. No sound. 

So, with the same MIDI file resident, I loaded TTS-1. I took Greg's advice, and did NOT check Enable MIDI Out. I just clicked on the popup as it sat. I started off by configuring only one instrument to TTS-1. The rest I left at deaf (my spelling of 'default' for now). Playback sounds the same -- this weird sort of out of phase distorted sound. This is a new problem. I've been using TTS-1 without issues for a while now, and all of a sudden, this crops up. I had to have clicked on something I shouldn't have. I just haven't figured out yet what it is.

robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/13 18:20:57 (permalink)
Hey - here is another thought.  With ANY keyboard containing on-board (local) sounds, that I hook into my computer, via either USB or an old-school midi connector, I go into the Edit parameters for that keyboard, and turn OFF a midi parameter called Local.

What that Local parameter controls is whether or not pressing a key on that keyboard will have the keyboard react to that to trigger a note.  With Local Off, it is like separating the pressing of keys from actually generating a sound.

Now, on the surface, that would seem rather silly, but because you have the keyboard connected into your computer (and as a midi input device and a midi output device in Sonar Preferences), even though the keyboard won't generate a sound directly from the pressing of a key, it WILL still generate a sound, because that midi data is sent into Sonar, and back again through the midi connection to the keyboard, which will THEN cause that key's associated sound to play.

There are 2 reasons the above will help:

1) It will almost always result in sounds from other tracks and sounds from the keyboard lining up properly, with it all essentially being processed in the same manner from within Sonar.

2)  With Local set to 'Off', you prevent a second note playing the sound for a second time.  If you DIDN'T turn your keyboard's midi Local parameter to 'Off'. then what usually happens is that you would get TWO notes sounding every time you played a single key on that keyboard.  The first note would sound from the keyboard reacting to the pressing of a key, and the midi data going into Sonar and back into the keyboard again would then trigger a SECOND sound for that same key, with a slight latency making it sound like an echo. (for sounds that are mono, or for synths where there are limited voices, you could also either goof up the sound heard or actually end up with sounds dropping off, because of the keyboard processing each key pressed a second time - if Local was left 'On').

SO - the general guideline would be that for keyboards with on-board sounds, versus midi controllers that do not have their own sounds, you would always go into the Edit functions on that keyboard and set midi parameter 'Local' to 'Off'.

Using the above approach, you may well never need to mess with manual setting of the Automatic Delay Compensation that Sonar defaults to doing for you.

Here is a link that explains Auto Delay Compensation:

http://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/newbies/what-exactly-automatic-delay-compensation-314029/

I hope the above helps you with your situation.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Cactus Music
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/13 18:45:28 (permalink)
HI Bob, long time no see, good to see your still out there.

But he did say the only device in midi was the wavetable? Odd, as I would think his keyboard or the Delta midi ports would also show. 

You are looking in Preferances/ midi /Devices? 

Anyhow this sounds now like you are having a audio interface driver issue, Are you using the ASIO audio driver? Delta 66 is a real old card. They are known to die of old age too. 

And there is one more possiblity, lately I had the TTS'1 do as your saying from time to time. There is a bug in it that was never there in the past and there were a few issues starting back last August. Not sure if it's the version of SPLAT or W10. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

mwmcbroom
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/13 18:54:30 (permalink)
Guys, the only time the Casio shows up in Sonar is when I have it on. And even then, if I haven't been using it, it will time out after a while and shut itself off.

Next time I start it, I will check to make sure that Local is OFF.

robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/13 19:36:29 (permalink)
I have a Casio 88-note piano that I use as a midi controller for piano parts, and by default, it will shut off if I haven't played on it for some number of minutes.

It has a way to override that behavior, which for me is to hold down the button on the far right of the buttons (might be Hall Reverb or something like that), anyways, when I hold that button down and power up the keyboard, it will then stay on forever, until I turn it off again.

If instead, SONAR is disconnecting your Casio after some period of time, that is the result of a Windows behavior, which is that it will by default disconnect USB-connected devices after some period of inactivity.  This is handled with Power Management options.

There are at least a couple of ways of getting to the Power Management option to change that behavior - one way is to go into the Advanced settings in Power Management *Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings>Change Advanced Power Settings), and after expanding the USB Settings options, set "USB Selective Suspend Setting" to 'Disabled', and apply/OK the change.  Another way is to go into Device Manager, and go to the Properties of each USB hub, then click on the Power Management tab, and remove the check from the option labeled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", and apply/OK the change.

Hope any of the above helps, 

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Cactus Music
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/13 19:44:30 (permalink)
A bit of digging around and there are lots of posts going way back with the TTS-1 playing distorted and most it was people using higher sample rates. So you either have to revert to 44.1 or 48 or abandon the tts_1.

As an experiment try this. 

Go into your preferences and change the sample rate to 44.1 or 48. APPLY. 
Make sure your using ASIO mode and the Delta is your timing master etc. anything to do with your on board sound needs to be unchecked. 
Now make sure there is no devices selected in MIDI/ output. 
Now OPEN a midi file. Do not import. 
I have midi files set to use Sonar as the default program to open, do this or using the FILE menu choose open and browse for a midi file. Open the midi file and TTS-1 should load and play the file perfectly. Tell us what happens. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

bvideo
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/14 15:37:17 (permalink)
When you said "Horrendously out of phase" it immediately brought to mind a midi loop. This idea is reinforced with your report of dropouts. Disabling midi output of all your software synths is one way to reduce this possibility. Another important thing to do is set your midi track inputs to just one port & channel - your keyboard, so don't use "none" in a midi input. And then make sure your keyboard is configured to "local off" (Sonar can do this at startup, but if your keyboard has a habit of switching itself off, you may have to learn how to do this manually.)

chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/14 16:08:55 (permalink)
mwmcbroom
"Horrendously out of phase"

Probably not that relevant but.. Have we established the soundcard type ?

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Cactus Music
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/14 17:49:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2017/12/14 18:01:09
If you dig deep they said this- But still at the heart of the beast will be my trusty old Delta 66 card.  

I said this in #15 but they did not answer : Anyhow this sounds now like you are having a audio interface driver issue, Are you using the ASIO audio driver? Delta 66 is a real old card. They are known to die of old age too. 

So I'm waiting on an answer to the ASIO question and if the OP tries a lower sample rate to see if TTS-1 plays. 
I've had TTS_1 go weird on me a few times so I'm avoiding it right now. I only use it to OPEN midi files to see what's up, I then replace all the sounds with better VST's. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

mwmcbroom
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/15 07:42:39 (permalink)
I've been kinda busy the past couple of days so I'm just getting caught back up on all this. You guys have thrown so much stuff out there to think about and try, I haven't sorted through it all yet.

But I do have positive news to report. A couple of your comments led to it. First, I realized that it's been quite a while since I've checked on available updates, and turns out the version I was running wasn't close to current. So I installed the latest update last night. I also tried I guess it was Johnny's advice and reduced the rate down to 44.1. The system is still stuck at 24 bits, even though the front page of the song shows 44.1k @ 16 bits up toward the top of the page there. The section in Preferences where it shows my system set to 24 bits is grayed out and I haven't figured out how to make that active yet. So I'm running with a bit of a mismatch currently, but it doesn't seem to be affecting playback. I haven't tried any recording yet.  So anyway, I dunno if it was the update or reduction of the rate that straightened out the problem with TTS-1, but it's behaving normally now. Well, with at least one MIDI file that I brought in (and subsequently saving as a cwp file). With another, I dunno where I've gotten crosswise with TTS-1, but I can't get it to make a sound. Even though it seems that I have everything set the same between the two files. I guess I need to take a closer look. I've missed something somewhere.

Both Johnny and bvideo mention that TTS-1 isn't just a Cakewalk wrapper for the GS Wavetable synth. So I'm wondering why it sounds exactly the same? Or maybe I've misunderstood what y'all were getting at. I like Rapture a lot, but somehow it got corrupted on my machine, so I've d/l'd it again and reinstalled it, but I haven't gotten to try it out yet.

One question -- you guys keep referring to setting my kb to "local off." Is this a setting I can find somewhere in Sonar?  Because if it's one that I have to execute from my kb, then I've got a problem and I don't know what the workaround will be. There are instructions within the documentation for my kb on accessing MIDI setup and controls, but unfortunately my kb does not do what the documentation sez it's supposed to do. From the very git-go, where it tells me how to get into midi setup, a different message appears on my kb's display from that shown in my kb's docs (and it is the docs for my kb too), and none of the other keystrokes do what they're supposed to, either. So until and unless I can get some response from the Casio community on this, I'm stuck with whatever the default configuration is with that device.

Cactus Music
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/15 15:52:30 (permalink)
Don't worry about the 24 and 16 bit that's word length and has nothing to do with clock rate. 
Sonar works at 32 bit anyhow. 
The TTS-1 issue was solved by using a lower clock, here's lots of posts about this as I linked above. 
You can still use 48 which is really all you need for hobby recordings. 

Did you try OPENING a midi file yet? TTS-1 will load and play if there is nothing set as midi output in MIDI Devices. 
And I never said TTS-1 was a wrapper for MS wavetable? It is a complexly different type of synth. Wavetable is 4 bits.. terrible fidelity. The TTS-1 is a GM playback and most DAW's have one The TTS-1 is stuck in time as well and has not been updated for a long while, It's best use is to pre view files and get things started. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

mwmcbroom
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/15 19:41:53 (permalink)
Johnny, sorry if you misunderstood. I didn't write that you indicated that TTS-1 was a wrapper for MS Wavetable. I was writing that I thought it was. But what I did note is that it sounds the same as GS Wavetable. But I guess it's greater than 4 bit at least.

As for the clock rate, I prefer to run my Delta 66 at 96k, and I would like to do so in Sonar. Too bad TTS-1 can't handle it.  My recordings ultimately aren't "hobby" related because I will be producing CD-compatible Wave files. I realize CD files are 44.1k/16-bit, but I like to work at the higher rate, the convert downward after I've completed all edits to the music.

I'm gonna try opening a midi file again with the GS Wavetable deselected. First time I tried, TTS-1 didn't load itself. But that was with the older version of Sonar I was using. I'll give it another try momentarily.

Cactus Music
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/15 20:00:49 (permalink)
Yes it is a newer feature I think starting with Splat, but might have been X3. 
Huge time saver if you want to audition midi files. Sure they will play using MS Wavetable in Media player or Win Amp but being able to see how many tracks and quickly mute the bad stuff is handy. 
And then if you like the file quickly save as to a CWP and start making improvments. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

mwmcbroom
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/15 21:05:01 (permalink)
I'm working on a fresh MIDI file, and I'd just like to report that, with GS Wavetable de-selected, TTS-1 came up fine. I like.
mwmcbroom
Re: syncing an external keyboard with Sonar 2017/12/16 06:07:17 (permalink)
Also, I finally found out how to set my Casio kb to "Local Off."

I was having a problem accessing the MIDI section of the keyboard because it wasn't following the directions in the manual. I posted a message about this over at the Casio Keyboards forum (yep, they have one) about it. Fortunately, a very helpful individual promptly replied to my plea and explained how I needed to go about getting into the MIDI section. And once I was in, I was able to set it to "Local off." Now the keys produce no sounds, which I guess is a good thing -- for the DAW, at least.

So now I get to go see if that might have cured the kb's playing early problem -- the original point of this rather lengthy -- but very entertaining! -- thread.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1