synth patch inventory

Author
M@ B
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
2011/02/14 22:46:11 (permalink)

synth patch inventory

hello,
does the sonar x1pe documentation have lists of the patches/programs for each of the soft synths that come with x1pe?
thanks.
post edited by M@ B - 2011/02/14 22:53:08

13 Replies Related Threads

M@ B
    Re:synth patch inventory 2011/02/15 12:21:46 (permalink)
    this apparently seems to be a silly question, but i can't find a list of patches anywhere except in the synths themselves.
    i have used the synth's name as an index search word and looked around in the obvious places and haven't found anything.

am i missing something?
    thanks

Chregg
    Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2382
    Re:synth patch inventory 2011/02/15 12:28:13 (permalink)
    you'll not find synth patch names in the documentation, dont think any program does that, has to be the synth mate !!
    M@ B
    Re:synth patch inventory 2011/02/15 13:11:57 (permalink)
    kinda makes it tough to know what you've got on hand.
    hardware synths/tone generators listed this info in the user manual.
    i consider this to be essential, other wise, ten synth's worth of patches must be committed to memory.

that's bogus and corner cutting.

S.Wallis
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 269
    Re:synth patch inventory 2011/02/15 17:49:35 (permalink)
    You could download the free Kore 2 Player. It will take a LOOOOONG time to set up all of the sounds, but once you do, you can use Kore 2 Player to search for your presets by instrument category - such as bass, synth, plucked strings, wind instruments, etc... or by Timbre - such as hard, fat, soft, metallic, etc... Or you can search the VST - such as Rapture, Dim Pro etc...

Like i said though, it takes a hell of a long time to set up. I spent literally a whole day going through Cakewalk instruments presets and categorising them inside Kore 2. I have Komplete 7 which came automatically set up for Kore 2.

It's very tedious setting it up as you've got to go through literally thousands of sounds one at a time and then decide which categories to include them in. But it's well worth it as you only have to do it once and it's set up for life. I've slowly been adding 3rd party VSTs over time, so now if i need a specific sound i can search for it inside Kore 2.

M@ B
    Re:synth patch inventory 2011/02/15 21:24:05 (permalink)
    seems to be a bit more complicated than looking at a list.
    what was the thinking behind omitting the patch list?
    it makes no sense to me. was it too much work to include it or something? well it's a lot more work to find stuff w/o it. now you have to open the synth to see what in it and if you don't find what you need, you've got to open another, and so on, instead of just having lists in you hand for each to refer to and cross reference. people complain about an extra click here and there slowing down their work flow, well what about this? whatever...

Teksonik
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 521
    Re:synth patch inventory 2011/02/16 09:46:59 (permalink)
    M@ B

That's because they only shipped with 128 presets.....................

There are hundreds of presets that could be added to Z3ta+ and Rapture's libraries and more are created all the time. How do you expect a DAW owners manual to keep track of them all? As for the factory presets there's just too many to list?

I'm afraid you'll have to do your own housekeeping...............yea I know bogus.  Take a screenshot of every bank for Zeta+ for example and print it out..................

post edited by Teksonik - 2011/02/16 09:52:33
    M@ B
    Re:synth patch inventory 2011/02/16 11:10:41 (permalink)
    Teksonik

M@ B

That's because they only shipped with 128 presets.....................

There are hundreds of presets that could be added to Z3ta+ and Rapture's libraries and more are created all the time. How do you expect a DAW owners manual to keep track of them all? As for the factory presets there's just too many to list?

I'm afraid you'll have to do your own housekeeping...............yea I know bogus.  Take a screenshot of every bank for Zeta+ for example and print it out..................
    then the manufacturers of the synths should at least have a list on their web site with the patches that the synths ship with. if they wanted to go the extra mile, they could update the list. if i/we can take screen shots and print them or do something like what swallis proposed in the post above, they can keep a list that much easier. i don't think this is an unreasonable expectation. i think it's laziness on the part of the manufacturers.

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:synth patch inventory 2011/02/16 11:31:41 (permalink)
    Most synths ship with their libraries organized into types:  drums, synths, strings etc.  But the names leave something to be desired as  far as using fitting them in the song.  I can't see the use of perusing a hard copy that lists 64 string variations.  The only way is to listen to enough of the choices to find one that works.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    M@ B
    Re:synth patch inventory 2011/02/16 12:07:15 (permalink)
    here's a for instance, i spent quite a while looking through the included synths for a female "ooh" vocal and finally found one (not a great one either) in the  cakewalk tts1. i don't know if there is another one somewhere else because i got tired of looking for a needle in a haystack and just took what i could find.

there were a couple of really good female "aahs" in dim pro, but no "oohs."

so in that sense, a viewable list that doesn't require opening the synth would prevent a lot of wasted time and frustration.

i can see this recurring on a regular basis.

if a daw or synth manufacturer (or both in this case) is looking for ways to improve workflow...
    post edited by M@ B - 2011/02/16 14:22:10

chad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 468
    Re:synth patch inventory 2011/02/17 13:19:32 (permalink)
    brock and a few other project5 users at one time had taken screen shots of all the program folders as a way to keep inventory on all the existing factory patches, although I don't think those articles made it into the new project5wiki.  I tried searching around and couldn't find those. 

The plist files for Dimension Pro and Rapture can be opened in a text editor.  Those files contain a list of the programs, you could probably manipulate those to create some type of usable list for your needs.

The patch/library browser in Cakewalk Sound Center seems to be a step in the right direction, looking forward to see how that develops.

S.Wallis
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 269
    Re:synth patch inventory 2011/02/21 17:58:02 (permalink)
    After doing a search inside Kore 2, i have found that a patch list wouldn't help you find the 'ooh' sounds that you're looking for... Because there arn't any inside any Cakewalk Synths/Samplers(!)

Plenty of 'aah's, but not a single 'ooh.'

There's some inside Kontakt 4, which may be included in the sounds that you get with the free Kontakt Player that you can download from Native Instruments. There's nothing else from NI either. Can you believe that - you get 10,000 sounds when you buy Komplete 7, but only 2 of them are female O vowels. Alto, or Soprano.

On a side note, i agree with AT, and suggest that for synth sounds, a patch listing would be pretty much useless. By that i mean that you could want a certain bass sound, so you find one by name that works ok - but there's proberly a better fitting sound that has some weird name that you'd never connect it that sound.

Cakewalk's Sound Centre is a big a step in the right direction, but obviously needs further development to allow us to add and 'tag' our own sounds, and include more than just Dim Pro and Rapture in it's included sounds.

Cakewalk Sound Centre is very very simular to Kore 2, but Kore 2 allows you to add and tag your own sounds, it features a much more indepth  browser for finding sounds, and you can create 8 different versions of a sound (or 8 completly different sounds) and morph between them. And it's not a simple crossfade that raises and lowers volume, it changes the parmeters of the synth.

You can use it as a host aswell. If you make electronic music and/or use a lot of synths, i honestly cannot recommend Kore 2 enough - not just for the browser function, but for everything else it has to offer.

P.S. I don't work for NI BTW, i just really like Kore 2 because it's speeded up my workflow so much.
    post edited by S.Wallis - 2011/02/21 18:07:06
    M@ B
    Re:synth patch inventory 2011/02/21 18:46:18 (permalink)
    S.Wallis

After doing a search inside Kore 2, i have found that a patch list wouldn't help you find the 'ooh' sounds that you're looking for... Because there arn't any inside any Cakewalk Synths/Samplers(!)

Plenty of 'aah's, but not a single 'ooh.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

since there isn't one to be found, a patch list couldn't help me find it, but it would have saved me trouble of loading the a soft synth into the project and searching hi and low to no avail for the "ooh" and then having to delete the instance and the tracks that were set up for it. followed by a repeat of all of that for most of the other synths included w/ x1pe. i didn't bother looking in the ones that seem to be for beats and loops.

btw, the same thing happened yesterday looking for a trombone other than the one included in the tts1.

*they should at least then have a way to look in the synth without first having to insert it into the project and set up tracks for it only to find that what you need is not in it, then go back and delete everything.*

as far as the free kontakt4, i had downloaded that at one time, but when i installed x1pe a couple of months ago, guitar rig4 kept crashing and i wasn't sure why so i uninstalled the free kontact4 just to see if that might be causing the problem. it wasn't. turned out that there is a required update/patch for gr4 on ni's site for download. maybe i'll try kontak4 again, thanks for reminding me.

post edited by M@ B - 2011/02/21 18:48:15

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:synth patch inventory 2011/02/21 22:51:01 (permalink)
    there is an easy way to do it.. I've done it for the DSF stuff, made patch lists of it

if your old skool and did DOS , then all you do, locate the "programs" folder of the sounds

go out to cmd prompt

dir *.prog /s > c:\patches.txt

exit DOS

open up ya fav text editor and load up

away ya go :)

the browsers for some of the cake synths aren't standard.. as a kore user (full version) it's a major annoyance as I can't just pick them.. if they stuck to it like in z3ta.. then makes life easier

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1