synthfont sf2 vs Dim pro

Author
wyndham
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
2008/11/17 09:55:34 (permalink)

synthfont sf2 vs Dim pro

As a general question on quality of sounds, what is the thinking comparing sf2 soundfont vs Dim pro
I have downloaded and tried synthfont w/ several banks of rom based instruments I found on the net. I was very pleased at the quality of these free banks. I also have Dim Pro and some of the instrument in the SF2 sound as good or better than DM Pro
I am wondering what others think of SF 2 files and what do others think of two. Are they better, worse or what and if these were compared to Sample tanks where would that order look like.
The reason for this type of question is that part of my upper hearing is lost so what I'm hearing might be way off to what others hear. Thanks for any advice, Wyndham

6 Replies Related Threads

JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    RE: synthfont sf2 vs Dim pro 2008/11/17 18:23:55 (permalink)
    Like everything else, soundfonts run the gamut in sound quality, so it's always going to be a judgment call. The more obvious disadvantage of SF2s is the fact that unless they're acquired from the person/company who actually made them (and offer full license for their use), you're in murky legal waters at best when downloading "free" SF2s as you have no idea of their true origins.

This isn't an issue with Dim Pro sounds.

JD
    post edited by JonD - 2008/11/17 19:22:54

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: synthfont sf2 vs Dim pro 2008/11/17 19:51:48 (permalink)
    Yes, I agree with JonD -- when you're comparing sound quality you must be specific. What bank of free SF2? Which particular multisample in DimPro?

In general, I don't agree with the OP at all. It's been my experience that most free SF2 files are based on low quality samples and contain minimal engineering. I've found a nice bank here and there, but I can't recall more than a few that I'd prefer over an early RGC synth, say Triangle or Square.

On the other hand, Dimension Pro's multisamples and programed patches are excellent. With the free banks of programs available for download here on the website, Dimension Pro contains hundreds of samples for use in sound design. In my opinion, that first expansion pack contains some of Rene's finest work, for instance, his Cluster and Harmonics pads are inspiring. The entire "Rapture-scapes" collection is very impressive stuff, and some of these sounds still take my breath away. This is powerful sonic stuff!

I really don't understand why the OP chooses to compare an odd bank of free sound files with Dimension Pro, which is a synthesizer where the possibilities of developing new sounds are endless.

--kwgm
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: synthfont sf2 vs Dim pro 2008/11/17 21:56:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JonD
    The more obvious disadvantage of SF2s is the fact that unless they're acquired from the person/company who actually made them (and offer full license for their use), you're in murky legal waters at best when downloading "free" SF2s as you have no idea of their true origins.

This isn't an issue with Dim Pro sounds.

the same can be said for ANY sample based thing.. regardless if it's sf2 / sfz / kontakt etc..

if you look at some license agreements (even commerical ones), the basic version is.. "if you get your a** sued and it's an iffy sample.. nothing to do with us, your liability" . A certain company has that disclaimer, and if they aren't sure about their material sources then that is very worrying.. The classic one though is the amen break.. used on COUNTLESS sample cd's.. and yep technically it's copyright (although Mr Cooper RIP never chased anyone for it to his credit) . Although the sample cd companies charged for it, they should have given him a very small fee since they were saying it's their own work.

the most obvious thing i can think of .. hmm sound fonts , 1 file. sfz.. map file + samples.. sfz supports OGG format.. also easier for multi-velocity sounds..i.e. a piano, where you can have loads of samples.

to edit SF2, I use to use Vienna (which is free), but to use that you have to have Creative sound card on board with the newer versions of it.

there are plenty more differences, but it would take hhm 10 minutes to type it I guess.

sfz was an improvement on the sf2 format with more functionality is the short version (unless they improved SF2 since I last used it years ago)
    post edited by Fog - 2008/11/17 21:58:33
    wyndham
    RE: synthfont sf2 vs Dim pro 2008/11/18 10:40:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. And yes I was more concerned with the structural quality of the SF2 vs the SFX vs something like sample tank. The benefits of DP's legal standing over the "Murky" parenthood of free sf2's are issues that I understand and agree with.
    There are a lot of technical issues that I don't know yet and this is my attempt to learn a small bit at a time. Some of the questions may seem simple to most here, but I'm rather new at many of these issues so It's better to ask that to assume.
    I have heard some SF2 sounds that are great from Precision Sounds. The Celtic Harp and Mtn Zither are great but what I hear in an MP3 demo is a lot of hard work and polishing to make it shine. That's why I ask about the basic quality of the format.
    Thanks Wyndham
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: synthfont sf2 vs Dim pro 2008/11/18 20:50:10 (permalink)
    wyndham , well it really comes down to how the original samples (wav's ) were done.. theres a saying.. you can't polish a terd..

wyndham
    RE: synthfont sf2 vs Dim pro 2008/11/19 10:43:32 (permalink)
    Hey Fog, there's a fellow I know on another forum that is a sound eng in AZ that says that's all he does is, "Polishing Terds"
    It's a living. Wyndham
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1