the "Make Insert Track Flyout Even Better" thread.

Author
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
2016/02/19 15:00:12 (permalink)
4.67 (3)

the "Make Insert Track Flyout Even Better" thread.

I'll just clump all I put in the announcement thread here, then leave the field open to others for theirs.
Where there are counter arguments, I'll try my best to summarise them (I hope nobody minds..?).

1) Also allow the user to decide beforehand where to put them. See the Clone Tracks dialog.
Some possibilities that come to mind:
"Insert Above / Insert Below Current Track"
"Top / Bottom of current folder"
"As First / As Last track in project"

2) Option "Midi Only" - add tooltop for new user to clarify this means an external synth.
Paul P said:
You may also just want to create a midi track as part of setting something up.  I think "MIDI Only" should be the default 'Instrument'.  That way it won't be hidden and removes the odd reference to TTS-1.

Craig Anderton said:
it could be driving a MIDI-aware signal processor, or someone might want to add several MIDI-only tracks to drive a multi-timbral instrument.

3) Head off new user misunderstanding by using either Echo or Monitor (just one name), for the same thing.
Paul P said:
Maybe what the user wants is to monitor the input, but for that to happen the track has to echo its input.

4a) Light the Record button in the same red as the other record buttons.
4b) Light the Input Monitor button the same blue as the Input Echo button.

I considered breaking them up into one thread per item to make individual voting possible, but I'm not sure the moderators would appreciate that.

3 Replies Related Threads

stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: the "Make Insert Track Flyout Even Better" thread. 2016/02/19 15:26:13 (permalink)
    Voted.   Mainly for consistency in terms for Monitor/Input Echo - I prefer to the Monitor term myself since in DAW terms I don't really want anything to echo.   I've got plenty of Delay FX for that.  

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Zargg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: the "Make Insert Track Flyout Even Better" thread. 2016/02/19 18:51:03 (permalink)
    Voted. I think it would add to the usability and consistency for both new and old.
    All the best. 

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

jpetersen
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1499
    Re: the "Make Insert Track Flyout Even Better" thread. 2016/02/20 19:10:58 (permalink)
    stevec
    Voted.   Mainly for consistency in terms for Monitor/Input Echo - I prefer to the Monitor term myself since in DAW terms I don't really want anything to echo.   I've got plenty of Delay FX for that.  

...and that's not even a joke. I have always kept it off for exactly that reason. It is only after I found a similar button in a competing DAW that I realized it has nothing to do with echo.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1