theres so no way 50 dollar software is this complicated

Author
artisalie
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2006/01/17 16:43:28 (permalink)

theres so no way 50 dollar software is this complicated

well ive read every single post in this forum on latency problems. i bought music creator like months ago and have been fed up with the fact i can record a single track with no problem. but then when i want to add an addition part that works with the one i just did... its all messed up. ive messed with buffers and slid that sensitivity thing to the left. its just not helping. theres no way you need a multiple hundred dollar soundcard with a cheap recording software. my computer is also fairly new..just bought it. the soundcard that is in it is.....a Conexant AC-Link 2 Channel Audio... its the one that came with it. i also read the post about getting a small mixer... did that as well its a nady 4 channel.. also when i want to record guitar i run it through a marshall head that has an emulated line out...especially for recording.. before it goes through the mixer and then finally into the soundcard. anyone have an idea? i just want to have fun and create. its not like im setting up a bigshot high tech freaking studio here.......

11 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: theres so no way 50 dollar software is this complicated 2006/01/17 16:52:00 (permalink)
    Well let's see. What exactly is the problem? you say messed up, what does that mean? Aslo you say a fairly new computer. How much ram, what CPU set?

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    joeh20_444
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: theres so no way 50 dollar software is this complicated 2006/01/17 17:24:21 (permalink)
    Visual Studio is only $50 on a discount, and I promise you its complicated!
    Robomusic
    RE: theres so no way 50 dollar software is this complicated 2006/01/17 17:29:04 (permalink)
    It's kind of like a posted a while back, one can not expect to pick a $50 software from the store and have it work flawlessly with out some learning curve, and setup hassles, not to mention the fact that computers are not designed to be recording studios, they are made to surf the net and play CDs and type e-mails. maybe browse a spread sheet or two. To make this really work it cost a few extra bucks the minimum one needs to make an average modren computer function as a recording workstation is a good sound card, and decent amount of ram, and a fast CPU, then add a PCI slot video card and a good interface and all is pretty good.

Music Town
    artisalie
    RE: theres so no way 50 dollar software is this complicated 2006/01/17 20:21:19 (permalink)
    wellwellwell....the problem is latency still. idk you can download software from the internet and have no latency problems...for free i might add... you just cant do all that other garble that music creator does. and yeah actually computers are recording studios now days. and my computer happens to be a laptop...im at college and definitely do not have the money to spend on more stuff to add to this already thousand dollar laptop. its a gateway ... i have an intel celeron processor 1.40GHz...and 504MB of RAM. anyone have any like real crafty ways i could possibly get rid of latency and just record something.
    Robomusic
    RE: theres so no way 50 dollar software is this complicated 2006/01/17 20:33:12 (permalink)
    You still have not really answered the questions completely, you said that when you try to add tracks it is "messed up". I have no idea what that means, please be specific if you want us to be able to help. Latency is a lag between midi data and a synth. It sounds more like you are experiencing an audio lag, which might be the input monitoring issue, or something like that. Your laptop is powerful enough to do several audio tracks, so I am sure the issue can be solved, but to say that computers are recording studios is to kind of fool youreself a bit, they will do the job, and laptops can work very well, but in standard configuration out of the box with on board sound chips, they really are very lacking in what is needed, as is a desk top. If a standard computer is all one needed, then that is what you would find in a recording studio. They can be tweeked to do a reasonable job but they do need some help.

Music Town
    artisalie
    RE: theres so no way 50 dollar software is this complicated 2006/01/17 20:52:42 (permalink)
    well im really relieved to hear that my laptop isnt total crap... ok let me see if i can explain very very clearly whats going on for you. thanks for being so helpful though in answer my dumb questions. ok i plug my guitar into a marshall head which has an emulated line output, made just for what im doing, that line hooks into my mixer, which then plugs into my soundcard. i hit record and play away. ive already un highlighted the input monitering so i do not hear my guitar through the speakers while i play. the problem comes up when i then listen to the playback from what i just recorded while i play an alternate part... still not hearing what im playing that that instant... only hearing the playback from the previous part. after im done playing.. the second part is a split second slower than the first part. so it does not sound very good at all. resulting in me only being able to record one decent sounding guitar track.
    Robomusic
    RE: theres so no way 50 dollar software is this complicated 2006/01/18 02:49:56 (permalink)
    I know what you mean, the problem is that without hearing what you are playing it gets difficult. What i always suggest is monitoring from the mixer. I use a behringer mixer and plug the line out from the sound car to the tape in on the mixer, then the main out from the mixer goes back to the line in on the card. I then plug headphones into the headphone jack on the mixer and depress the to mix button on the mixer and i can hear the recorded track and the recording track in the phones. If the mixer you have has this capability you are golden. If the tracks still do not play in sync, then maybe you need to use faster drivers of some sort. Are you using the MME drivers? If so then switch to the WDM drivers and set the buffer slider to fast.it should work better.

When i said that the laptop will work, I was being honest it will, but i must point out that celeron's are notoriously slow, but still you have plenty of power and speed for a reasonable amount of tracks.

Music Town
    artisalie
    RE: theres so no way 50 dollar software is this complicated 2006/01/18 12:12:40 (permalink)
    i totally have to give you mad props haha. i switched the drivers from MME to the WDM ones and like problem solved totally. thank you soooo much for all the help. i can now record multiple parts together. thanks again
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: theres so no way 50 dollar software is this complicated 2006/01/19 21:31:06 (permalink)
    I think it's the other way: it's amazing they can sell such a complicated program for only $50. Greg
    Robomusic
    RE: theres so no way 50 dollar software is this complicated 2006/01/20 01:12:34 (permalink)
    Well said Greg, and I might add, that freebies from the internet might seem easier, but they are usually far less complicated because they do far less.

Music Town
    joeh20_444
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: theres so no way 50 dollar software is this complicated 2006/01/20 18:51:35 (permalink)
    Yep yep, this truly is a great program. It got me started, and it made the switch to Sonar completely painless. I gotta say, 'twas a $50 well spent.

Joe
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1