they think its all over - it is now

Author
west malvern
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
2013/09/24 09:12:55 (permalink)

they think its all over - it is now

Well whilst the breaking news ref Roland / Gibson is im sure great news for sonar it surely is the final nail in the VS700 coffin - or will there be a minor miracle in X3 - cant see it myself as im sure it would require a firmware update and im sure Roland lost interest years ago :(

6 Replies Related Threads

TerraSin
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1975
    Re: they think its all over - it is now 2013/09/24 09:41:18 (permalink)
    I'm going to play the wait and see game, but I think I am going to end up boxing my 700 up and throwing it on Ebay or one of the local for sale places. Wonder how much I can get for it. :P
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: they think its all over - it is now 2013/09/24 13:31:37 (permalink)
    I don't pack it up quite yet. it might be years before tascam comes out with anything comparable ...if they ever do ... developing a new CS is probably high risk (expensive to develop, small market to sell it) ... and cake is so focussed on touch ...

I will probably refrain from buying further sonar updates if they drop CS support. the vs-700c is after all a nice surface and it's all MIDI in the background which you can intercept if you try hard enough, so before swapping the CS for several K$ I'd definitely look into competitive DAW options with general CS support, forget the pro channel (which others will copy anyway if they haven't yet), take all my 3rd party plugs and move on ... but that won't happen quite yet (the whole thing is still productive) ... I'll stick around

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    bigboi
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 260
    Re: they think its all over - it is now 2013/09/24 14:00:31 (permalink)
    Good God I am soooo glad I dumped mine a month or so ago. Jesus...what a kick in the throat. I can't wait to see these guys chime in now about how they have us in mind for the future...etc. Moved on to Cubase....its just better guys. I mean it.

I7 920, 8 gigs ram, Newest gigabyte motherboard, 100 gig ssd for operating system and program files, 1 TB 7400 rpm for storage, Full V-Studio system, 2x Motu 2408 MKIII, 2x Motu 24 I/O, Maschine, Kore 2, Virus TI2, Korg m3, Novation Supernova, Novation D-station, Mo Phatt, Elektron Machine Drum, MicroKorg XL, Arturia Origin, Korg Triton, Roland jv2080-completely expanded, Avalon 737SP, 3 Sony premiere monitors, 2 event 20/20 studio monitors, Autotune AVP1, TC Helicon Voiceworks, 1 TC Electronics Powercore 6000, 1 Powercore Firewire
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re: they think its all over - it is now 2013/09/24 17:24:13 (permalink)
    west malvern
    Well whilst the breaking news ref Roland / Gibson is im sure great news for sonar it surely is the final nail in the VS700 coffin - or will there be a minor miracle in X3 - cant see it myself as im sure it would require a firmware update and im sure Roland lost interest years ago :(

It's hard to say west, there are so many problems unanswered with Roland. It's not just the VS700 that is hard to get, several of their flagship pieces of equipment are not "available" right now. A clarification of who owns the rights to the VS700 System  and whether it goes with Cakewalk and it's software is needed now. The VS 700 is tailored to work with Sonar, so it's hard to say what is part of the acquisition. What I want is a statement from Roland, not some news outlet. What is happening in Japan?

Craig DuBuc
    kday
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re: they think its all over - it is now 2013/09/24 17:25:49 (permalink)
    VS-700 set is the bomb !  All one need is the set and X2a or whatever update supports it afterwards to accomplish all your goals.

This VS-700 set as is, can last me another 10 years. There are no major bug issues or functions that can prevent me from making any type of record I dream of. I bought my VS-700 set to accomplish certain task, to be able to create and record multi-track recordings using the power of the computer, and I've done just that. I know there are some minor bug issues still unresolved, but I still feel extremely grateful that I got a totally integrated system of hardware controller and software DAW system versus not having one at all. Or being forced to work with ProTools and a less attractive more complicated overall process altogether. Personally I don't need to upgrade to X3,4,5, or 6 to retain and maintain the wonderful feeling of great success of having the VS-700 system created and working mainly the way it's supposed to work. For me it's about goal achieving more than functional perfection. As I can't remember ever buying a musical instrument product keyboard, DAW, hardware recorder since the beginning, that haven't been perfected from the factory to satisfy my needs, or without shortcomings deemed fatal psychologically for the unit. So far the VS-700 has bee the most perfect for my needs to date, even in it's present condition.

I can see Tascam toying around with the Roland VS-700 concept with Tascam digital mixer controllers, which would be great. But the prices for the their more upscale version I'm sure will be much more money.  I can see Tascam also making cheap low cost Portastudio types that may be Sonar DAW related along the way. Whatever they have up their sleeves, sure hope they equal or better what the VS-700 system is, which is the ultimate for total integration and simplicity, and hardware build quality.
    post edited by kday - 2013/09/24 17:30:28
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re: they think its all over - it is now 2013/09/24 17:36:19 (permalink)
    I can see it also. Tascam has been looking for an answer to Giga Studio, and Cakewalk Sonar could be it. Everybody gets nervous during a transition, but let's remember, it's only in the intent stage. So nothing is past the rumor and speculation stage.

Craig DuBuc
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1