time signature ?? I think its 6/8 but maybe it should be 4/4 and triplets

Author
paulmpianist
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 43
2012/02/23 09:57:43 (permalink)

time signature ?? I think its 6/8 but maybe it should be 4/4 and triplets

Ok I wanted to play cool dance songs and be a rock star, but for some reason I think this is one of my best and its not pop music... the vocals are pitchy, but for a rough draft i think it could go.  maybe.. but now I'm trying to go from this improvisation on the keys to sounding like a quality multi-track and I'm having a hard time structuring it and tracking it. I put a big kick drum at 60 bpm and I kind of don't like having to confine the phrases to a rythm at all, but I or anybody else can't sing with the instrumental unless there is some phrasing measured by something. 

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI3_ykb-HtQ

5 Replies Related Threads

radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:time signature ?? I think its 6/8 but maybe it should be 4/4 and triplets 2012/02/23 11:06:22 (permalink)

Hi Paul , I wish I could play piano as good as you , I like this sound !
    Sort takes you to a heavenly place in your mind , very relaxing to listen to .

Cheers !

Radio

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:time signature ?? I think its 6/8 but maybe it should be 4/4 and triplets 2012/02/23 11:18:13 (permalink)
    Very original and melodic.  I'm not sure what your issues are, but they seem to be minor.  The vocal seems to fit in time OK, but there's one itty bitty part that falters in the performance.  It's not much, just a note or two that wavers a little bit.  My advice is to just sing it again one or two times, and you'll probably nail it.  Fine job or writing.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    paulmpianist
    Re:time signature ?? I think its 6/8 but maybe it should be 4/4 and triplets 2012/02/24 12:05:48 (permalink)
    wow!  thank you for the encouraging comments... yeah i hit some sour notes on the keys...  the reverb covers some lack in vocals, but I'm trying to put polish on it all... thanks
    paulmpianist
    Re:time signature ?? I think its 6/8 but maybe it should be 4/4 and triplets 2012/02/24 12:32:31 (permalink)
    Radio... thanks for the comment on my piano playing, but I'm kind of the mutt at the dog show as far as being a pianist.  This song came about because I can't read very well.   really I prefer this style though. I would recommend just work on some scales and chords and chord inversions and a few arppegios. I don't think about the chord progression when I'm making a song.. i just feel around and listen to it and then when the dust clears... sheesh these are the chords from Heart and Soul.  I sit at the piano enough to do some classical, but its a lot of tedious work and not everybody wants to listen. anyway thanks again.  I hope I encouraged you on the keys too.
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:time signature ?? I think its 6/8 but maybe it should be 4/4 and triplets 2012/03/01 18:10:32 (permalink)
    Loved the vocals on this. The music suits, but does that have that really midi sounding strings and a bit too upfront in places.

Regarding the key sig, I certainly dont feel one at the moment! it could fit both 4/4 and 6/8 if you wished, but theyre will be a different feel to both.

Its very hard to sing to an instrument thats randomely doing something. Either get a time signature on it or else play live where the piano for instance follows the vocal?

Just my thoughts.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1