ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another person -

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
daveny5
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16934
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 08:40:40 (permalink)
PH68

The thing is if I upgrade, then I'll still have Sonar 7 in a box doing nothing. The software will no longer be installed on my PC. It will be in a box gathering dust. Some folks probably have versions 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 in boxes, uninstalled, doing nothing, gathering dust!

That's not true. Cakewalk was smart enough to put plug-ins or features in each version that were not in later versions. So if you buy a new computer and have to install Sonar and you want some of those features from the older version, you won't have the disks to do it.

When you buy Sonar, you are only purchasing the license to use it which is non-transferable. So if you sell the older versions, you are only selling the disks and not the license to use it so anyone purchasing your older disks would not be getting a legal license to use the product and could come back to you for a refund or compensation for selling them a product you did not have a legal right to sell.

Your other argument about not knowing about the license until you've already installed the product does not hold up either. In the Getting Started Guide that comes with every version of Sonar, it clearly states in the End-User License section: "YOU SHOULD CAREFULLY READ ALL OF THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT. INSTALLING AND USING THE PRODUCT INDICATES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THEM, YOU SHOULD PROMPTLY RETURN THE PRODUCT UNUSED AND YOUR MONEY WILL BE REFUNDED".

post edited by daveny5 - 2010/01/13 08:49:49

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
Tom F
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2749
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 08:53:14 (permalink)
they just should finally ship their product with a dongle - thats it!
and they should print it on the box "not resellable" - because i am pretty sure that NO shop would take back the software after one has opened the box --- so again we reach the aspect of unilateral disadvantage for the user....

regards

...trying to be polite... quick temper...trying to be...
papa2005
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3250
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 09:09:26 (permalink)
This "horse" has been ridden too long and put up wet too many times. Why does this thread still exist? What part of the EULA doesn't the OP understand?

Regards,
Papa

CLICK HERE for a link to support for SONAR 8.5

CLICK HERE to view a list of video tutorials...

CLICK HERE for a link to Getting Started with Session Drummer 3...
Oaf_Topik
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2105
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 09:13:51 (permalink)

Tom F
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 10:22:47 (permalink)
papa2005

This "horse" has been ridden too long and put up wet too many times. Why does this thread still exist? What part of the EULA doesn't the OP understand?
papa - for heavens sake - would you please consider the real existing legal fact that in MANY countries those sort of additional restrictions are "illegal" so its probably quite "normal that people want to discuss about it... again i want to say that its not against cakewalk (what do i care) but its not wrong in anyway to discuss an eventual restriction of consumer rights - why do people so stubbornly stick to the dogma that eveyrthing in a contract is valid? this isnt even true inthe us (btw. its ONLY true in one state of the us - i guess it was washington d.c.) ONLY there you can legally agree on having to eat dirt - and then really have to take the consequence)
its funny that people take this as cakewalk bashing or something similar - in the end its a very legit question - since other companies dont have this restrictions (which is a marketing advantage for them)
its just a bit sad that people get pretty unrational when discussing all this - one thing is the "emotional" side (whatever this might be refering a music app) and the other thing (the only really counting) ui the pure legal aspect - and if you red my previous posts you would see that i do not share the opinion that older (pre update) version should be sold (that would be wrong)
but no agreement on earth can hinder me to get rid of something (completely) if i want to - cos that would be (to use this often cited expression) immoral...
what a great future lies in wait if this "spreads" --- the riduculity of all this also shows when you consider that you are (in theory) not even allowed to give away all your cakestuff for free ... so in order to stick to the eule one has ONLY the choice to THROW it in the dustbin??? cmon - thats just crazy ....

regards

CJaysMusic
  • Total Posts : 30423
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 10:29:13 (permalink)
I tried repeorting it but someone already did

wow - you must be sad guy :-) if you just dont get what the discussion is about just shut  up - i am not willing to discuss serious legal aspects of a contract with someone who is a narrow minded and obviously  little vulgar person - since i am very close to my master degree in law i think that i know what i talk about and your childisch and unreasonable angry emotions are completely a waste of time - if you feel sick because you lack of knowledge - than i feel sorry for you - but certainly i wont accept you posting such a diffamatory garbage - what do you know about "how i feel about sonar" and about anything else i do ? - you bring in the term "thievery"... are you on dope  - (should i send you a picture of my original software boxes???) you are just one of those "soldier mentality -guys" or one of those "simon says jump" and your only concern is "how high" ... if you just lack any notion that would entitle you to discuss about the rights of contracts and you also lack the capability of abstraction - please just stop making a fool of yourself

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
Tom F
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 10:32:12 (permalink)
yeah you freak - i reported my own posting cos i wanted someone of the cakestuff to share their opinion with us - insted you should have reported the guy who called me all sort of things (inluding !"thievery") you btw. cj are the saddest of them all here...

SONARtist
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 599
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 11:16:42 (permalink)
Now, now ... why don't you guys just take a break from getting at each other's throats (and at the same time give us ALL here a chance to read something that really matters to us ... fixing issues and making music).  Thanks.
papa2005
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3250
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 11:46:37 (permalink)
I didn't mean to start any global arguments. This issue has been hashed over multiple times on this forum. I was merely stating information that the EULA contains. Whether or not it's legal isn't my concern since I don't have any plans to transfer the license to another party. I've not called anyone a "thief" or insinuated such.

Regards,
Papa

CLICK HERE for a link to support for SONAR 8.5

CLICK HERE to view a list of video tutorials...

CLICK HERE for a link to Getting Started with Session Drummer 3...
Tom F
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 12:12:41 (permalink)
papa2005

I didn't mean to start any global arguments. This issue has been hashed over multiple times on this forum. I was merely stating information that the EULA contains. Whether or not it's legal isn't my concern since I don't have any plans to transfer the license to another party. I've not called anyone a "thief" or insinuated such.
i know you didnt :-)
but the tone of some others here is too harsh and i see no reason for not defending my point of view.

regards

CJaysMusic
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 12:42:51 (permalink)
yeah you freak - i reported my own posting cos i wanted someone of the cakestuff to share their opinion with us - insted you should have reported the guy who called me all sort of things (inluding !"thievery") you btw. cj are the saddest of them all here...

Someone repoted this one also. Im too slow today.... your on a roll info
Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
Tom F
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 12:56:40 (permalink)
CJaysMusic

yeah you freak - i reported my own posting cos i wanted someone of the cakestuff to share their opinion with us - insted you should have reported the guy who called me all sort of things (inluding !"thievery") you btw. cj are the saddest of them all here...

Someone repoted this one also. Im too slow today.... your on a roll info
Cj
i thought (wished) you had already banned me since ages - so id be save from your self complacement... i refuse to downscale myself to this kindergarten-cop-attitude.
you are also one of those who doesnt get the sense of a discussion - because - as it seems - you know it all - and you know it best ... please leave us less enlightened people alone - i know that in your magnitide you could easily just laugh about all this...no need to bedrabble yourself...or wait - you LIKE being a squealer ??? (wow - thats uncool) ...btw: what do you expect from reporting stuff you dont like? (a candy for you or some "punishment" for me?) LOL
dont you have any founded opinions about the issue that is partially being discussed here?

Tom F
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 12:58:40 (permalink)
btw.. how sad that calling somoen "sad" instigates people to "report" others - especially since the enlgish language would have such a high potential for much more "graphic language" :-)

leapinlizard
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 428
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 14:06:09 (permalink)
Let me get this straight ... we are on a music software forum discussing/arguing contract and intellectual property law with people who are by and large musicians?  Wow, that's rich ... and what do you hope to accomplish?  The fact that you are "close" to your master's degree in law (I am reminded of Dr. Science on NPR - "I have a master's degree ... in law!"  Sorry, I couldn't resist - no offense intended) indicates that you are probably in a position to challenge contractual issues in ways that we lay folk would not/could not even dream of, and I'm sure you are chomping at the bit to get out and make the world a better place, a quest for which I hope you succeed.  Meanwhile, in the good ol' US of A, land of the free and home of the brave, there are any number of quirky little rules that we tend to follow just because "they are there", and I suppose EULAs associated with intellectual property are just one example.  I don't really care if Cakewalk's EULA is not worded to my satisfaction, because for the cost of the upgrade I just purchased, the software, in effect, is "disposable", and the fact that I have to throw it away or shelve it in the dust pile instead of giving it to my neighbor doesn't bother me in the least - I will certainly get my money's worth while I have it up and running.  That's probably why we seem complacent to people in other countries - we buy things, use them for a time, and then dispose of them, even though they may be perfectly good, because we don't want to trouble ourselves getting them fixed if they are broken, or we want the newest model instead.  Not only that, but we learn at an early age that law is expensive to challenge in this country, and in most cases it is not in the best interest of an individual to pursue such a challenge at his own expense.  That, and the fact that most things we buy in this country have "planned obsolescense" built in, contribute to the notion that we are complacent, and to an extent we probably are.  But, in the meantime, I will continue to drive between the lines, I won't step on a crack and break my momma's back, and I will use Sonar knowing that when version 9 comes out I can get a nice, cheap upgrade that will have more goodies in it for me to play with.

"Surf music will never die." -- LeapinLizard, 1963
"We may never hear surf music again." -- Jimi Hendrix, 1967. 
Tom F
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 14:46:20 (permalink)
leapinlizard

Let me get this straight ... we are on a music software forum discussing/arguing contract and intellectual property law with people who are by and large musicians?  Wow, that's rich ... and what do you hope to accomplish?  The fact that you are "close" to your master's degree in law (I am reminded of Dr. Science on NPR - "I have a master's degree ... in law!"  Sorry, I couldn't resist - no offense intended) indicates that you are probably in a position to challenge contractual issues in ways that we lay folk would not/could not even dream of, and I'm sure you are chomping at the bit to get out and make the world a better place, a quest for which I hope you succeed.  Meanwhile, in the good ol' US of A, land of the free and home of the brave, there are any number of quirky little rules that we tend to follow just because "they are there", and I suppose EULAs associated with intellectual property are just one example.  I don't really care if Cakewalk's EULA is not worded to my satisfaction, because for the cost of the upgrade I just purchased, the software, in effect, is "disposable", and the fact that I have to throw it away or shelve it in the dust pile instead of giving it to my neighbor doesn't bother me in the least - I will certainly get my money's worth while I have it up and running.  That's probably why we seem complacent to people in other countries - we buy things, use them for a time, and then dispose of them, even though they may be perfectly good, because we don't want to trouble ourselves getting them fixed if they are broken, or we want the newest model instead.  Not only that, but we learn at an early age that law is expensive to challenge in this country, and in most cases it is not in the best interest of an individual to pursue such a challenge at his own expense.  That, and the fact that most things we buy in this country have "planned obsolescense" built in, contribute to the notion that we are complacent, and to an extent we probably are.  But, in the meantime, I will continue to drive between the lines, I won't step on a crack and break my momma's back, and I will use Sonar knowing that when version 9 comes out I can get a nice, cheap upgrade that will have more goodies in it for me to play with.
lol - yeah the fact that a lot of products have the "self destruction" implemnted by factory is weird "framing" should be somehoew restricted i think ;-)
as for the discussion itself: i dont want to achieve anything with this - it was just an attempt to bring in another perspective - and to contradict some people here that usually react a bit unpolitely to people asking a question (doesnt matter if others have asked it before) as long as there is no sticky with some official statements its totally ok for anyone new to ask this questions (how often other "same questions" arise in the forum is up to our imagination.
i just dont like this self complaced attitude of some people who just shout out: "you moron - its just lke that..." thats of no much value...if those guys hate this topic so much why dont they just keep away? i just tried (again and again) to show that the situation is not "as clear" as some want it to be - and if then people get agressive - i dont think that i have to apologize - i can also becoma agressive - and pleas note that this whole thread was quite pacific and reosanable before some folkes tuned in with their "its all rubbish", "if you dont like it piss off" & "i report your posting to the "headmaster"  attitude...
if you read my post you will see that i have at least repeatedly tried to keep it on a "formal" basis...but i really see no need to have cj (the self proclaimed forum paladin)  peeing at my leg with his bully attitude...
and actually i just mentioned my status of my law studies to make clear that i am constantly engaged with such discussions - i am not saying everyone has to know legal things - but if they dont know they shouldnt claim to own the truth...

best regards

leapinlizard
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 428
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 15:44:25 (permalink)
I think the topic of licensing and EULAs is a natural "hot button" on this and other forums as well, largely because a lot of people who play by the rules and buy their software despise the low-lives who dabble in warez and other illegal activities.  To even suggest that a EULA or licensing agreement has flaws that could/should/may be exploited is almost sure to guarantee a good fight, if not an all-out war, no matter how civilized you try to be.  I do think a lot of good points were raised, and I think that software/intellectual property in general is a hot topic that everyone in the industry is still grappling with, as it is certainly not perfect.  I wouldn't take any of the forum "flame-throwing" personally, as I think folks may have misunderstood the context of the discussion.  Heck, I almost did, until I read through it a couple of times.  Who knows, maybe you will be the guy who devises the perfect system and finally puts the whole topic to rest.

"Surf music will never die." -- LeapinLizard, 1963
"We may never hear surf music again." -- Jimi Hendrix, 1967. 
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 16:04:41 (permalink)
This has got to be one of the most entertaining threads I've ever read.

The OP asks a perfectly reasonable question, gets an answer and thanks the respondent, all in 3 minutes.

5 days later and the thread's still going having gone through the pros and cons of carrying knives, several forum lawyers opinions, and all topped off with a few good insults....... and the OP hasn't been heard of since.

I'd normally have to pay for entertainment like this..........
Tom F
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 16:46:52 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy

This has got to be one of the most entertaining threads I've ever read.

The OP asks a perfectly reasonable question, gets an answer and thanks the respondent, all in 3 minutes.

5 days later and the thread's still going having gone through the pros and cons of carrying knives, several forum lawyers opinions, and all topped off with a few good insults....... and the OP hasn't been heard of since.

I'd normally have to pay for entertainment like this..........

should i send you my account number ;-) 
at least two satisfied guys: the op and you !!! LOL

Luteman
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 335
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 17:20:47 (permalink)
What I want to know is - how is the donkey?
PH68
  • Total Posts : 564
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 17:39:56 (permalink)
So all you folks out there with old versions of Sonar...
What do you do with them?
If you have 8.5 installed I assume you never use 2, 3, 4, etc..

The old software is perfectly useable.

Why not give it to someone who will make use of it.
So what if they can't upgrade... I'm sure they'll be happy paying you a few small $$ or ££ for some decent software.
If you don't want to accept their money give it to them for nothing, or send the money to a charity, or even send it off to Cakewalk so they can do more research.

If I have software (any software) that I no longer use, no longer have installed, no longer intend to use, don't wish to make a copy of etc., then why-oh-why do I need to keep it in a cupboard gathering dust.
Why can't I let someone else use it... that's the part I don't understand.

~ Cakewalk ~ Arturia ~ Waves ~ Overloud ~ Windows ~
Oaf_Topik
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2105
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 20:32:30 (permalink)

stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/13 21:24:50 (permalink)
info@tomflair.com

stratman70

info@tomflair.com

Beagle

justification.  that's what everyone who does something illegal, immoral or unethical always does to qualify their actions.

But... we only agree to the license when we actually install the software.
If the software is fully uninstalled is the license still valid?

YES!  apparently you didn't read the EULA (even though you agreed that you did).  the license is sold to YOU and you are not allowed to transfer it.  and you agreed to that EULA when you checked the 2 boxes in the installation process.  again - you agreed to the license which is explicitly stated in the agreement that it is not transferrable.  show enough integrity to follow through with the promise that you made.  If you don't agree with it, then don't buy any more cakewalk software and don't ever agree to that EULA again.  but keep the promises that you made otherwise you're just a cheap liar. 

The thing is if I upgrade, then I'll still have Sonar 7 in a box doing nothing.
The software will no longer be installed on my PC.
It will be in a box gathering dust.
Some folks probably have versions 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 in boxes, uninstalled, doing nothing, gathering dust!

by this reasoning then you should pay FULL PRICE for all of your versions and never pay upgrade price. 

that's exactly why cakewalk doesn't allow transfer of licenses - because they offer upgrade prices for full versions.  if they didn't offer upgrade prices then it would follow that license transfers would be completely appropriate.  but you're still getting "something for nothing" when you pay upgrade price, but sell your used FULL version.

you have an fascinating narrowminded view of what "laws" are for - also you probably have no clue about the relevance of singel resrtrictions contained by a major contract ...without going into detail - because i didnt study law in english but in german (and therfore its hard to be precise in this language) you are somwehow completely wrong bevause you talk about stuff like integrity and morality and so on - from that point of view i just could counter (and so does european jurisdiction) that the restriction we are talking about here is "immoral" ---- but why do i always feel the need to join in into this stupid discussion? thre is no songle reason to treat a license differebtly than a material good in this case - and if you are proud of being so moral that you advocate the (ripping off) limitation the bakers incude in their eula - then i just can say "good night"   btw.. this has been discussed so often here that i would be happy to see someone in europe to go to a court in order to have the (non valid restriction) formally removed from the eula (did you know that stuff like this happens on a daily basis - because big companies try to enforce unlawful agreements in their contracts...? well - probably you didnt...)

We are all well aware of how you feel about CW and Sonar-So sell all your c**p and go away. You "ALL" know what a software license is, so go justify your theivery somewhere else. It just P**s'es me off when I hear crap like this post. Why do you morons think we "MUSICIANS" have the strictest copyright baloney in the world. Because the companies figure all musicians think like you and PH and the others. Get real-Wake up and smell the "Pace"-You deserve it big time! Dongle! Sad thing is-most of us don't!
Very sore subject with me-Can you tell?

wow - you must be sad guy :-) if you just dont get what the discussion is about just shut  up - i am not willing to discuss serious legal aspects of a contract with someone who is a narrow minded and obviously  little vulgar person - since i am very close to my master degree in law i think that i know what i talk about and your childisch and unreasonable angry emotions are completely a waste of time - if you feel sick because you lack of knowledge - than i feel sorry for you - but certainly i wont accept you posting such a diffamatory garbage - what do you know about "how i feel about sonar" and about anything else i do ? - you bring in the term "thievery"... are you on dope  - (should i send you a picture of my original software boxes???) you are just one of those "soldier mentality -guys" or one of those "simon says jump" and your only concern is "how high" ... if you just lack any notion that would entitle you to discuss about the rights of contracts and you also lack the capability of abstraction - please just stop making a fool of yourself - go just on and be a "musician" if thats what your good at ... btw: since you seem to be one of those "neighbourhood watchmen" why dont you just report my heresy to cakewalk - so that they can sue me for my twisted thoughts??? - you just make me laugh... probably its folks like you who "feel the moral need" to stick to disadvantaging sideagreements because you have no clue about what a legal system is there for but on the other hand you would probably sue mac donalds after you got fat from eating a million of burgers - intelligence bigtime i guess - congratulation !

so go justify your theivery somewhere else

No. I am just a guy who has read some of your previous posts - nuff said there. I am a guy who gets very emothional about people trying to defend something that is wrong-using analogy like a car? Spare me. Yes, I got a little carried away. I will apoligize for that. but your logic is flawed-your dialog is old and you keep reminding everyone about your prowess with "the law and legal issues"
Moron is not a really strong word-You felt compelled to jump on the bandwagon - Why? Sure reads like you are OK with selling old versions. If your not-what the heck was your point? Please don't answer. I am tired of this-Bye

greysound
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 55
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/14 02:10:11 (permalink)
There are two issues here that puzzle me.

1)  Most EULAs are a text file that pops up when installing the software after purchase.  It is impossible to return software after the box has been opened.  This issue is hardly unique to Sonar and it's always chaffed me a bit.

2)  I've never been able to understand how a statement in an EULA regarding resale of the product squares with First Sale Doctrine.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine), ie,

The doctrine allows the purchaser to transfer (i.e., sell or give away) a particular lawfully made copy of the copyrighted work without permission once it has been obtained. This means that the copyright holder's rights to control the change of ownership of a particular copy end once that copy is sold, as long as no additional copies are made. This doctrine is also referred to as the "first sale rule" or "exhaustion rule."

Obviously this is not the same thing as piracy, which involves making additional copies.  But the purchased original copy would seem to fall under this ruling, wouldn't it?

The argument that the reduced price of an upgrade justifies the policy would appear to be irrelevant since presumably the same EULA is used on a brand new, full-price version of the software -- which the owner is also barred from selling.  So in this case, if the purchaser rejects the EULA he has zero opportunity to recoup his losses.

Likewise, the argument that this rule is what allows Cakewalk's dongle-free operation also doesn't quite work, as there are plenty of other examples of companies without this policy and without dongles.

If you've ever sold a CD of music, a VHS tape, a DVD, or an old computer game, you've taken advantage of First Sale Doctrine.  While I'm certainly not a lawyer, I'm a bit skeptical that a corporate EULA can trump the Supreme Court, unless somehow accepting the EULA when installing the software actually eliminates an individual's rights.

Definitely out of my league, but potentially worth exploring...

And before the mob goes for their torches and pitchforks, I have no intention of selling my ludicrously large collection of Sonar CD's.  I just think there might be a larger issue here.
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/14 02:43:39 (permalink)
Greysound, you forget that it's not the copies of discs this is about. It's the license you pay for, and the license is not transferrable. Copying your drivers' license doesn't make it usable for some other person.

Also, one might interpret that there are copies: The sold old version includes a copy of about 90 % of the new version.

Your example of CD's  and DVD's doesn't work either. It's not at all the same thing.

And ohnoyes...Why did I participate in this again...

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
PH68
  • Total Posts : 564
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/14 13:02:34 (permalink)
PH68

mudgel

As far as selling it on eBay goes, Cakewalk actively check eBay software lisitings and actively pursue illegal resale of its software. It is also a condition of sale on eBay that you have the legal right to sell the goods you advertise and not break any other laws. The laws regarding copyright spring to mind.

Found this currently on eBay...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sonar-5-Producer-Edition-User-Guide-Cakewalk_W0QQitemZ380195936107QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item588571976b 

Lets see if Cakewalk take any of them to court.

Well it's still listed.
And it has a few bids.

Cakewalk/eBay have clearly done nothing... yet there are some of you that always chirp up on these forums saying that these sort of sales get always removed.
In fact, I hate to tell people this but used versions of Sonar have actually been selling on eBay for years!

Looks to me like the old (used) versions of the Sonar software does sell and Cakewalk don't actually do anything about it.

And some more are newly listed...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cakewalk-Sonar-4-Home-Studio-Edition_W0QQitemZ220540021802QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item335935ac2a

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cakewalk-Sonar-4-Home-Studio-Edition_W0QQitemZ220540022431QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item335935ae9f

So lets see. They get us all to agree to an EULA.
Yet, if someone apparantly breaks those rules, nothing is done.
Hmmm.
What, therefore, is the point of having those rules (and having the EULA) if they are never enforced?

I'm still waiting to read about the first court case of someone selling on their used, no longer installed, no longer used, software.
post edited by PH68 - 2010/01/14 13:06:59

~ Cakewalk ~ Arturia ~ Waves ~ Overloud ~ Windows ~
Resonant Order
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 647
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/14 13:19:46 (permalink)
Your line of thinking is exactly what makes this world what it is, and that is not a compliment.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Music at Night, 1931- Aldous Huxley
CJaysMusic
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/14 13:23:25 (permalink)
Im going to read that book by Glen Beck on How to argue with idiots....Cause some people just dont get the difference between a licence to use and ownership.
Cj

Audio Blog
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:ATTEN: Cakewalk - Can the serial # of Sonar 8.5 Producer be transfered to another perso 2010/01/14 13:30:08 (permalink)
so...because you CAN get away with it that means it's OK to do it?  REALLY????

wow.  why didn't I think of that? 

OH, WAIT!  Maybe it's because I have a conscience and I will keep the promises that I make! 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1