An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownself

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
yorolpal
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13829
2011/08/24 17:37:43 (permalink)

An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownself

Please fix it.  As Brandon has heard (more than he'd probably like) in the "Buss" thread there are myriad problems with the forum software.  Please relate your horror stories here...and post your pictorial examples (Strammy).  If you ARE NOT having ANY troubles with using the forum then say so.  And, more likely, if you are...say so as well.  And please outline in detail your exact gripes.  But KEEP IT CIVIL...the last thing we need is for the admins to move this to Siberia...er...the Coffee House (shudder)!!!!

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.

77 Replies Related Threads

RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/24 17:43:03 (permalink)
    Yep...Firefox 6 doesn't work well. I don't let it bother me though, but I don't post 50 times a day like others.
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/24 17:46:36 (permalink)

@ Brandon - in my honest opinion, here are the main things wrong with the forum software.

A change to all of these functions would make the experience here much better for us, your loyal cash paying customers, and more importantly, for your future cash paying customers:
    • The quote system may work, providing you remember to click in the reply window and then hit the down arrow to make certain the cursor arrives at the very bottom of the screen.Even if you manage to master the skill of using multiple quotes and replies in the same post, it's fiddly to say the least, and I'll wager even you check the Preview screen before posting.

Now consider the huge amount of contributors who obviously haven't worked out the quote system - don't you think it's incredible that these very same people have mastered a program as complicated and sophisticated as SONAR but they can't fathom out the quotes?

What on earth was wrong with the easy to read 'boxed' quotes we used to have? And the wonderfully easy to use [ quote][/ quote] button instead of the unpredicatble indent we now have to do?  
    • (I've just done this) - if you're typing a longish post, it's wise to copy what you've typed and paste it into Word. I've completed so many long posts, often with screenshots, and clicked on Post Reply, only to see the screen hang and then the whole lot is lost into the ether forever. I know this used to happen (it might still do for all I know) if you didn't check the cookies option when you log in and spent longer than about 15 minutes compiling a post, but I do check it (and never log out LOL).
    • Talking of screenshots and embedding images, why are we limited to a viewable size of around 800 x 800 pixels? I've seen countless full-screen shots posted of SONAR in here and you can hardly make out any of the detail. Beforehand, we could post much larger images - and to view them properly the forum software provided scroll bars. If you wish to see the detail properly, you have to click on Reply to message > Quote message on someones post to see the image displayed properly. How can that be right?
    • And another way to lose a whole reply post is to refresh the page - that's it, gone forever... even if you just hit F5 inside the reply window (feel free to try it!). That never used to happen with the old forum software.
    • Another annoyance are the scrolling windows. With a reply window open, you generally speaking have three scrolling windows in view - the 'text' window, (inside the) the post reply window, and the forum page underneath. The problem is that the scroll wheel on the mouse scrolls the view the cursor is above, without having to click inside that view. In every other program I use, the focus stays where the mouse was last clicked.

I thought I must just be clumsy in this respect but I keep losing the reply screen either to the bottom or top of the page - e.g. click in the text area and use the scroll wheel to continually scroll up - instead of stopping at the top of your reply, the whole reply window starts disappearing off the bottom of the page, and then the forum page beneath starts scrolling! It's a royal pain.
    • In the User Control Panel, it states the Signature can hold a maximum of 550 characters. In reality, it's about half that - why? Here's my current signature - there are exactly 200 characters. Even accounting for the hidden formatting code and full web links (there would have to be 351 characters in those), I still cannot save this properly (although for some reason I obviously was once able to):

• On the subject of scrolling, the mouse pointer seems to arbitarily lose focus sometimes on a forum page - the Up/Down arrows don't work, neither does the scroll wheel on the mouse; this stays the same even if you click back on the screen. The only way to navigate then is to actually grab the scroll handles and drag them.
    • For some reason, we no longer have the In Reply To message displayed in a post - this causes a lot of confusion for sure. The only way to indicate who you're replying to (other than using e.g: @Brandon etc) is to quote their post, and we know how that works.
    • Finally, the unholy trinity:

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/24 17:58:37 (permalink)
    Do you think Panu and Ben have time to check out the Forum stuff??
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/24 18:04:56 (permalink)
    + 1 for getting better forum software.

Best
    John
    UnderTow
    Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3848
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/24 18:05:25 (permalink)
    Jimbo 88

LOL. Forum+ and forum skins! 

I'll just link to the thread that started the forum software discussions: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?&m=2370454&mpage=2  Complaints starting at post #48. (Warning, I'm creative with putting down the forum software. Read at your own peril ;-).

UnderTow
    UnderTow
    Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3848
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/24 18:19:11 (permalink)
    Oh just one thing. In the other thread I wrote:

(Just now I clicked right where I wanted to write and started typing but instead the text appeared at the bottom of the post. Tried copy&pasting the text after clicking at the right location, it just appeared at the bottom of the page again. If I click, hit space-bar and THEN start typing, the text appears at the right place. No, this is NOT proper forum software by any stretch of the imagination. It is fundamentally broken. (Google Chrome 13.0.782.215 m)) 

I had the exact same problem when responding to SteveStrummerUK's long post but no amount of pressing the space bar or any other trick fixed the problem. In the end I just replied as though my comments were continued bullet-points like Steve used and afterwards selected the paragraphs and used the reduce indent button to "unquote" my text. (The button with the left arrow for anyone wondering). I'm good at working around bugs and issues like this but I can imagine someone else getting rather frustrated and ending up not being able to quote things properly.

I don't know if this problem is specific to Chrome but it certainly isn't right. (And it is not operator error).

UnderTow

thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/24 18:28:22 (permalink)
    I get the "there is no record to display" message on occasion (using RoadRunner Turbo Internet connection.)

However, what I see frequently (and it's irritating) using IE9 is this:

When I am reading on a page for more than 2 minutes or so, and I try to click the page hyperlink to go to another thread page, the page just hangs. I have to click on a blank place on the page to get the "Recover Webpage" feature of IE9 to pop up, and I have to use that feature to get to the same page, and then quickly hit the page 2 hyperlink.

Also, the page hanging occurs when reading for 2 minutes or so and then attempting to make a post. The post is made, but I have to use that "Recover Webpage" feature mentioned above to be able to see the post I just made and to be able to move on to another page of a particular thread.

This doesn't happen on other forums I visit or frequent.

I'm all for using tact when complaining about any problems any of us may experience. :)

I sure hope something can be done about this forum software hanging matter because it is irritating.

Please convey our dissastisfaction with this forum software. The forum software we had before the change to this bad forum software was much better than this forum software. I understand Cakewalk wants to have forum software that's secure and anti-hacker capable, but surely you all can get something better than this forum software. This forum software is really very bad, in the opinion of many of us forum users. So, please, convey our dissastisfaction with this forum software. :)
    post edited by thomasabarnes - 2011/08/24 18:31:12

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    panup
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2538
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/24 18:29:54 (permalink)
    Jimbo 88

We use SMF - Simple Machines Forum. I recommend Cakewalk would try it, too. http://www.simplemachines.org/

Main difference between SMF and ASP.Playground is that SMF works.

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/24 18:34:06 (permalink)
    panup

Jimbo 88

We use SMF - Simple Machines Forum. I recommend Cakewalk would try it, too. http://www.simplemachines.org/

Main difference between SMF and ASP.Playground is that SMF works.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

Best
    John
    tom1
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 559
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/24 18:37:07 (permalink)
    No real problemos here; there are workarounds to the quirks I have encountered.

Of course, if I posted a thousand times a day I might be more critical.    :)

Sonar Producer X2/ProTools/Cubase/Reaper
    Studio Cat 32 Gig Ram
    East West:
    Hollywood Strings/Brass/Woodwinds/Goliath 
    Kontakt Ultimate / FabFilter Bundle / EaReverb / Maag4 / Izotope Ozone 5 / Izotope RX2 / Elastique / Waves  

Mully
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1545
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/24 20:14:16 (permalink)
    Yeah def had some problems trying to post some pics in the V700 area. They went up all weird and when trying to edit them into something a bit more legible, the server area as Steve posted above came up. End result, no could edit & nasty layout post is the result... walked away. Hope they sort this stuff out but AFTER all else is well with X1. Cheers all.

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
    StarTekh
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2007
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/24 20:53:21 (permalink)
    how come i cant remove a avatar from my settings !!
    garrigus
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/24 21:13:13 (permalink)
    Over at DigiFreq we use Snitz Forums, which is also quite nice...  http://forum.snitz.com/

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - http://garrigus.com
    * Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
    * Author of the Cakewalk Sonar ProAudioTutor video tutorial series: http://garrigus.com/?ProAudioTutor
    * Publisher of the DigiFreq free music technology newsletter: http://digifreq.com/?DigiFreq
    * Publisher of the NewTechReview free consumer technology newsletter: http://newtechreview.com/?NewTechReview

ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/24 21:57:57 (permalink)
    +1 on forum software problems, pretty much all the above errors at times. I much prefer the old forum software.

Me

trimph1
    Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6348
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/24 22:42:54 (permalink)
    ASP sounds ASPless....

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/24 23:50:02 (permalink)
    I'd just like to confirm that I have seen all the things that Steve posted a screenshot of in his post, plus a few other problems when using various browsers.

Here's a list of the odd things I've seen.

IE8:

1. The Reply formatting options disappear just as the last button finishes loading.

2. If I reply to someone, then click on another tab to load another web page, then go back to finish typing my reply, the reply box is gone like I clicked on the 'x' to close it and I lose everything I typed.

Chrome

1. Indents don't work when replying so it looks like your reply is part of the original post.

2. Strikeout doesn't work.

The last thing effects all browsers I've used. When the forum slows down and I have a reply box up, I will get an error message in the reply box and there's no way to click back and I lose everything I typed. That's why some of us use Notepad.

I'm using Firefox 3.6 which works great for me. Plus, it allows me to load a utility for saving hidden media files that isn't supported in newer versions of FF.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    cecelius2
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1494
    Search engine needs to be reliable 2011/08/25 00:15:45 (permalink)
    The "search" feature on these forums has been trouble, or at least never complete nor reliable. We should be able to search for threads or posts and reliably find previous posts or threads that fit our search requests. Too often we have to just post a new thread and hope that someone provides a link to previous threads or discussions on this forum. Cecelius2

jayson
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 367
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/25 00:27:15 (permalink)
    thomasabarnes

I get the "there is no record to display" message on occasion (using RoadRunner Turbo Internet connection.)

However, what I see frequently (and it's irritating) using IE9 is this:

When I am reading on a page for more than 2 minutes or so, and I try to click the page hyperlink to go to another thread page, the page just hangs. I have to click on a blank place on the page to get the "Recover Webpage" feature of IE9 to pop up, and I have to use that feature to get to the same page, and then quickly hit the page 2 hyperlink.

Also, the page hanging occurs when reading for 2 minutes or so and then attempting to make a post. The post is made, but I have to use that "Recover Webpage" feature mentioned above to be able to see the post I just made and to be able to move on to another page of a particular thread.

This doesn't happen on other forums I visit or frequent.

I'm all for using tact when complaining about any problems any of us may experience. :)

I sure hope something can be done about this forum software hanging matter because it is irritating.

Please convey our dissastisfaction with this forum software. The forum software we had before the change to this bad forum software was much better than this forum software. I understand Cakewalk wants to have forum software that's secure and anti-hacker capable, but surely you all can get something better than this forum software. This forum software is really very bad, in the opinion of many of us forum users. So, please, convey our dissastisfaction with this forum software. :)

Exactly in the same situation!  Now, what error am I going to get!

Cheers,

jayson
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/25 03:07:59 (permalink)
    To keep my reply smaller I will only comment that it does sometimes work and that I've figured out workarounds for most of the issues.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/25 03:13:01 (permalink)
    Bub

I'm using Firefox 3.6 which works great for me.

Same here. I get the 'no record to display' thing now and again, but closing the browser and re-opening seems to fix that. Occasionally the forum hangs, usually when I try to go straight to the last page of a long thread.

No big deal really, for the amount of time I spend here.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/25 05:11:14 (permalink)
    > KEEP IT CIVIL...the last thing we need is for the admins to move this to Siberia...er...the Coffee House (shudder)!!!!

surely civility isn't the issue. This has got nothing to do with X1, so what it was doing in the X1 forum in the first place is a bit of a mystery.
    post edited by John T - 2011/08/25 06:09:26

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    ericyeoman
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/25 06:26:25 (permalink)
    Broken in FF 6.0 for me too. Could not give a damn about it though; way down on my list of concerns at the mo'. Cheers!

CuBase, Ableton, Steinberg UR-22 MKII, i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Windows 10. 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/25 06:32:43 (permalink)
    I have talked extensively with Willy about the problems I have with the forum software, so he is aware of it.

Steve has outlined some of the things that I have experienced as well.   However, the most annoying thing I have a problem with is the "no record to display" error.  it happens fairly frequently and most recently Tuesday when I was home most of the day resting from the tests I had to do, I couldn't get on the forum for over 8 hours because of that error.

The "no record to display" error has something to do with your login.  if you log out and enter a forum then you can go in.  if you're logged in then it gives that error.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/25 06:40:14 (permalink)
    John T

> KEEP IT CIVIL...the last thing we need is for the admins to move this to Siberia...er...the Coffee House (shudder)!!!!

surely civility isn't the issue. This has got nothing to do with X1, so what it was doing in the X1 forum in the first place is a bit of a mystery.

Nice to see the forum police have nothing better to do this morning

You're like a female version of Mary Whitehouse.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/25 06:44:04 (permalink)
    Beagle

I have talked extensively with Willy about the problems I have with the forum software, so he is aware of it.

Steve has outlined some of the things that I have experienced as well.   However, the most annoying thing I have a problem with is the "no record to display" error.  it happens fairly frequently and most recently Tuesday when I was home most of the day resting from the tests I had to do, I couldn't get on the forum for over 8 hours because of that error.

The "no record to display" error has something to do with your login.  if you log out and enter a forum then you can go in.  if you're logged in then it gives that error.

IIRC the amazon server farm that Cakewalk rents scalable service on is in Virginia. Last Tuesday, Virginia was busy with more important things.

:-)

trimph1
    Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6348
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/25 06:44:22 (permalink)
    Oh well...it is now in the CH.

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/25 06:48:36 (permalink)
    I am using IE8

No major problems, but a few minor ones like the occasional 500 Internal server error, but that's no worse than some other sites. I have seen the "no record to display" issue, but not frequently enough for it to become an annoyance.

A lot of images do not appear, possibly that is because the UAE government blocks some photo hosting sites, or maybe its a software issue. But it seems less of a problem when I am in the UK.

Quote is not as bad as it was before I got used to it, but I still  have to delete my post and start again from time to time because the quotes got messed up, thats a PITA.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/25 07:48:15 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

Beagle

IIRC the amazon server farm that Cakewalk rents scalable service on is in Virginia. Last Tuesday, Virginia was busy with more important things.

:-)

I understand things like that.  If it were Tuesday only then I wouldn't complain.  It's not Tuesday only, tho.  And the problem I have is that I can SEE other members in that forum.  the forum lists who is in the forum and it also lists on the front page who was the last to post.  so if the problem was because of the servers being on the east coast following an earthquake then EVERYONE should have been affected.  that was not the case.  also, if it were a server problem then it wouldn't make any difference if I were logged in or not.  I could get into the forums if I were not logged in as "beagle."  I can log out and get to any forum without any problem.  or I can use an alternate login and get into the forums.  that's not a server problem.  that's a software problem.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:An open letter to Cake re the Forum Software...and in response to The Colonel his ownse 2011/08/25 11:39:06 (permalink)
    You guys do realize that if CW were to switch to another forum package, all your post counts would be reset to zero, right?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1