Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Rick McNab
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1047
2006/04/21 20:22:40 (permalink)

Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread!

In order to avoid confusion I'm starting a new thread about this issue, even though I created a previous one, at this point the issue seems not to be confined to me, and due in part to my actions, is being posted about in multiple random places. So here hopefully will be the 1 place to discuss this issue.

My setup: Sonar 4 Home Studio XL on HP a1210n PC w/ Athlon 3800 (I think), 512 RAM, single HD, etc...i.e. the typical mid-level office machine bought at Circuit City. Interfaces: Presonus Inspire 1394 audio via Firewire, M-Audio Midisport 2X2 Midi via USB.

Application: Sequencing 3 MIDI tracks playing multiple parts on a Yamaha Motif Rack ES module (Rhodes, bass, drums). No audio tracks, no internal soft-synths. Just MIDI sent to the one synth module. Everything quantized to hard 16th notes.

The problem: Upon hitting play (spacebar, etc.), for the first 1-2 beats, the drums "hiccup" (cough, glitch, jump ahead, whatever), so that the playback is not smooth until more or less beat three.

Observations/Attempts to solve: Adjusted MIDI buffer to no avail. However when soloing the drum track, the hiccup seems much less pronounced. Inserted blank space before beat 1. That works. However obviously if starting the track from anywhere except the top, that solution is no good. Could possibly surgically insert markers a few clock ticks before the beginning of any section I want to go to, but a) That's a pain in the ass, and b) There could be other data previous to the downbeat which would distract me while recording.

Most recent solution being discussed: The possibility that Sonar is spitting out a large volume of MIDI data everytime playback is commenced. This could be PG/Bank data, or CC data such as aftertouch, reset data, etc...Whatever the source, a huge quantity of MIDI data (non-note) could bog down the works. Have not yet experimented to see if this is happening.

Hopefully this is a comprehensive, concise description of the problem, which will enable those with real solutions to easily and quickly recommend them. Also, other users with this same problem will now have a place to post about it.

Thanks in advance!

33 Replies Related Threads

bbarnes
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1200
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/21 20:58:17 (permalink)
    Tell us what your midi record buffers are set to.
    Tell us what your midi playback buffers are set to.
    Tell us what your letency settings and driver mode are for the 1394.
    Tell us how you are quantizing the midi data.
    Tell us how you are monitoring your setup.
    Tell us if you have any other usb devices connected besides the Midisport 2X2.

Bill
    post edited by bbarnes - 2006/04/21 21:40:19
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/22 00:20:46 (permalink)
    Turn down the Video Acceleration setting in the Windows Display Properties. You should consider getting a separate video card if you don't have one.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Rick McNab
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/22 04:15:14 (permalink)
    Here's a reply to my discussion of this elsewhere:

"Rick,

That's not an uncommon problem (even in major studios that use SMPTE timecode and top of the line wordclock devices)...The "hiccup" you refer to is the amount of time it takes for your system to "chase-lock" to the MTC controlled MIDI transmit/receive tracks...Inserting a couple of "dead air" measures at the beginning of your songs will take care of the "Intro" section...For overdubbing to MIDI tracks, use a "pre-roll" (i.e., start playback of your track a few bars before the punch-in point begins)..."

This is from member papa2004.

Thanks for the response bbarnes. Will have to get back to you on those settings. Dave - I'll also try the video acceleration.

Wow, all of this just for one little glitch. MPC/MV8000 looking better and better.
    Rick McNab
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/22 04:30:12 (permalink)
    FYI: Chipset: ATI Radeon Xpress 200

MIDI Record buffer: 64
    MIDI Playback buffer: 500
    Driver mode for 1394: ASIO
    Mixing Latency: 3.0msec (Fast)
    Quantize: Hard quantize to 16ths using default settings in quantize dialog box
    Monitoring: Headphone jack of Motif ES Rack (thereby eliminating the Presonus completely)
    Other USB devices: Yes - HP Printer

Hardware acceleration set to Full (Accessed via the Troubleshoot tab accessed via the Settings Tab on Display Properties)

Experiments taken: Just played with MIDI playback buffer time - adjusted from 50 to 2000. No change in performance. Also used event editor to examine for sysex, PGs, Bank selects, aftertouch, etc... Found none. Finally, re-performed experiment soloing the drum track. When soloing drum track the playback is smooth - no lurch.

Also tried setting a 2 bar loop. The playback is not smooth. Everytime it loops back there is a glitch. Not anything like the way this feature should work (ala the MPC hardware units).

post edited by Rick McNab - 2006/04/22 04:58:07
    jgirv
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/22 09:33:07 (permalink)
    hi rick,
    I posted a somewhat general reply in the other thread... have you opened up the recorded tracks and looked to see if there is aftertouch info being sent? You're right that that would bog things down... the fact that your system hiccups while looping suggests something other than the "getting ready" that the computer needs to do before playback...it's playing already. You tried just soloing the drums- try each track that way. Cerainly with the few tracks you have at this point this behavior shouldn't be expected. Let me think about it some more! - best, jg
    daveny5
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/22 09:59:21 (permalink)
    Yeah, but you didn't mention anywhere that you were using SMPTE or MTC and Home Studio doesn't support those anyway.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    bbarnes
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/22 10:42:00 (permalink)
    Dave's right in that SHS 4 must be the master midi device all other midi hardware must slave from SHS 4. This might be the problem right there.

Bill

Abit KN8, Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
    1Gb Corsair DDR, Antec Sonata 2
    ESI Waveterminal 192M
    Mackie 1402-VLZ PRO
    boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/22 11:14:46 (permalink)
    That's not necessarily true. If he goes to Project Options - Clock he can change the Clock source to MIDI sync (instead of default "INternal"), so that Sonar gets syncronized with an external Master MIDI device
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/22 12:36:54 (permalink)
    Rick,
    I've been having the same problem. Sputtering before the MIDI actually starts anywhere in the song, but especially at the begining. I added a full measure to the begining of my song thinking that was the only way to deal with it.

I think I've solved my problem now, however, and don't need to do that any more.

Here's what I did:
    OPTIONS>PROJECT>CLOCK> AUDIO Note: As boten said, you can probably use MIDI instead, but the point is to take it off of the default which is INTERNAL.

OPTIONS>PROJECT>MIDI OUT> UNCHECK: Patch/Controller Searchback before play starts
    OPTIONS>PROJECT>SYNC> UNCHECK Transmit MIDI Start/Continue/Stop/Clock

If you are using the external MIDI clock as boten says you are able to do, you might need that one checked and if so, your problem might not go away.

This has made me a happy camper with this set up, tho, because it has stopped my MIDI "scratch and sputter"!

Hope it helps you!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    daveny5
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/22 14:26:01 (permalink)
    That must have changed with the latest release. Prior to this release, Home Studio had to be the master in a master-slave relationship. There was no selection under Options-Project-Clock.
    post edited by daveny5 - 2006/04/22 14:39:10

Dave
    RJN
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 178
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/22 15:07:08 (permalink)
    Beagle,

I agree with your post in that when I changed from Options/Project/Clock/MIDI to AUDIO. the slight slowdown of the first MIDI beats was gone. It' certainly not very intuitive (at least for me) since I first noticed this problem in a piece with only MIDI tracks.
    I think this single change may be the answer to evryone with this problem.

Rob
    --------
    Core i7, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM, Win 10 Pro (64-bit), 2 Tb HD, SONAR Platinum Producer , Roland Quad Capture, Alesis QS8 
    rjnorwich.worpress.com
    boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/22 15:54:59 (permalink)
    Just to clarify. Audio sync means timing is based on your audio device internal clock. MIDI sync is based on the external Master MIDI device which Sonar is slave to. The internal option uses the internal computer clock. If you're using a decent card by all means, the best thing is to set it to Audio.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/22 16:22:22 (permalink)
    thanks for that clarification, boten.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    bbarnes
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/22 18:37:31 (permalink)
    SHS4 can only send midi sync it can't recieve it. There is no Timecode format section to choose the SMPTE frame rate. I believe the help file may be partially wrong. But surely you can set the Motif Rack to recieve midi sync from SHS4.

Bill
    Rick McNab
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/22 19:26:05 (permalink)
    Woohoo! (Swore I'd never use that term). Beagle solves the problem. In the Options-Project dialog box, on the MIDI tab, the options are:

1) Zero Controllers When Play Stops, and
    2) Patch/Controller Searchback before Play Starts

IT IS THE LATTER, Patch/Controller Searchback before Play Starts which is causing the problem. And now that I know this, I seem to remember one of my hardware sequencers which had this feature, and when turned on, caused a delay or glitch at playback. Obviously the computer/sequencer must search through the track and update controllers one by one, so that makes sense. Also the looping is now much smoother.

The other option on this dialog seems to have no effect, (Zero Controllers When Play Stops) and without it checked, controllers like sustain appear to just hang, assuming there is a sustain down and no corresponding up when playback is stopped. So I'm keeping that option ticked.

Regarding the Clock tab on the dialog, with my Presonus 1394 it seems to force itself to audio, which is fine. I tried Internal and no difference. MIDI obviously requires an external MIDI device to send clock, which I'm not using.

I also made some changes on the Sync tab of the same dialog box.

1) Unticked Transmit MIDI Start/Continue/Stop/Clock (since I'm not syncing any external devices), and

2) Switched the MIDI Sync Output Ports option to Out-B USB MidiSport 2X2, since I have the luxury of 2 MIDI outputs, no need to risk gumming up the works of output 1 with this data, should any of it be sent.

Bottom line: The glitch/hiccup/lurch is still there, but MUCH less pronounced. Looping now seems relatively smooth. A HUGE improvement over what I had which was almost unusable.

This encourages and at the same time scares me. The encouraging part is that now I have a piece of software I can use and learn. Even more encouraging is the community that is so knowledgable, quick, and willing to help new users solve their problems. What's scary is how many tiny little details buried in tabbed dialog boxes somewhere can cause major problems in usability.

Anyway, I will keep any further discoveries related to this problem posted on this thread. In the meantime, maybe we've created another FAQ for the Dave's Cakewalk FAQs.

Thanks again everyone!

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/22 20:05:54 (permalink)
    Rick,
    I suppose the silver lining to the scary part is that the dialogue boxes are there, and we have a means to address the many subtle complexities of this kind of software.
    bbarnes
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/22 20:57:08 (permalink)
    Glad you got it sorted Rick. Way to go Beagle. Kinda makes realize what a great resource this forum can be.

Bill
    Rick McNab
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/22 21:17:06 (permalink)
    Still going to try experimenting. Next step - record 3 more MIDI tracks in a new project, but this time disable all MIDI events except notes on input. Also going to try not choosing a patch on the Motif ES in the track properties (i.e. not use the instrument definitions), because I think that may cause Sonar to send out PGs/Bank Selects at the top of a project. Also, I will be making changes to the MIDI record and playback buffers to see what happens.
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/23 00:55:31 (permalink)
    Could possibly surgically insert markers a few clock ticks before the beginning of any section I want to go to, but a) That's a pain in the ass,

Why is inserting a marker a pain? More often than not that's using a valuable tool...

and b) There could be other data previous to the downbeat which would distract me while recording.

I don't understand the "distraction"...Every studio musician I know prefers to hear at least 2 or 3 bars of the song before the punch-in point...

I'm not trying to be negative, Rick, but I don't comprehend the reasoning behind either of those objections on your part...

Regards,
    Papa
    Rick McNab
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/23 03:46:18 (permalink)
    The way I work (which I don't think is so unusual) is that sometimes I just want to start playback from a certain point - BAM! That's it. Plain and simple. Not necessarily to overdub new material or anything. Just to hear it. I'm used to doing that on the MPCs.

But you bring up a good point. Probably once I get really good with markers, I can develop a system of inserting them just a few clock ticks before the downbeat - enough to minimize the hiccup/lurch, but not to far as to hear the last hi-hat from the previous bar, for example.

I will keep that in mind.

One think I DO know about computer-based anything: There are always a number of ways to "skin the cat".
    papa2004
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/23 04:20:09 (permalink)
    Okay, I thought you were having problems trying to overdub...(which is why I was obviously confused)... Also, I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to when you mention MPC's...Can you enlighten me about that?

post edited by papa2004 - 2006/04/23 04:32:34

Regards,
    Papa
    Rick McNab
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/23 05:43:33 (permalink)
    The Akai MPC is and has been for many years the de-facto standard in hardware sequencing, especially for drum programming and sample triggering in rap and hip hop. The first unit was the MPC 60

http://www.vintagesynth.com/index2.html (click Akai to browse the MPCs)

Also click the MPC3000 and MPC2000 (I own or have owned both). Now there is the MPC 4000, MPC 2000XL, MPC 2500, MPC 1000, and even MPC pad controllers (The MPD-24 looks killer).

http://www.akaipro.com/

Click the products menu to see all of them.

The conceptual difference is that if I wanted to delete bars 36, 37, and 38, I would issue that command to the MPC, and then I would have a tune that is 35 bars long. With Sonar, sort of like Microsoft Excel, there is a timeline and groove clips go on that timeline. Thus, there is really an infinite number of "measures". What really matters is the groove clips. Where they start and where they end, and what data is in them. That being said, I just want to know the proper way to permanently delete data in those clips, right now simply at the end of them. I see two ways: 1) To use the delete command from the edit menu, based on a selection I've made, and 2) To crop the clip with the mouse (which as I understand it is non-destructive). However Garrigus in S4Power mentions that you can make a crop permanent, thereby erasing the data I guess. But that command seems to be grayed out on my menu.

Any suggestions?
    post edited by Rick McNab - 2006/04/23 05:51:28
    daveny5
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/23 10:08:45 (permalink)
    Take the Tutorial on Editing Audio and your questions will get answered.

Dave
    Rick McNab
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/23 10:12:36 (permalink)
    Yeah, I should take the tutorials. I've been trying to stay with Garrigus' book, but the tutorials (unique to Sonar 4 Home Studio as I understand it) are there to help, so I should use them.
    bbarnes
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/23 10:28:26 (permalink)
    Once you slip edit a groove clip (midi or audio) use the Bounce to Clips command. This removes any data that has been hidden by slip editing.
    It's also handy for combining several clips to make a groove of several bars. After you bounce to clips you have to make the new clip a groove clip again. Then just drag it out as long as needed.

Bill
    daveny5
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/23 11:52:01 (permalink)
    Everyone sing along with me.... "Glory, glory, hallelujah..."
    post edited by daveny5 - 2006/04/23 13:48:10

Dave
    papa2004
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/23 13:06:13 (permalink)
    "Glory, glory hallelujah. His truth is marching on."

Regards,
    Papa
    papa2004
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/23 13:23:20 (permalink)
    The Akai MPC is and has been for many years the de-facto standard in hardware sequencing, especially for drum programming and sample triggering in rap and hip hop. The first unit was the MPC 60

Okay, now I know the unit(s) you were referring to, but I don't agree that it "is and has been for many years the de-facto standard in hardware sequencing...";

The only time I used an MPC was in the early 90's when a producer/artist wanted to "dump" the MPC files into the Synclavier that resided in the studio that I worked for...That's probably the reason I mentally supress any references to it...It was a total nightmare...

In all fairness to your posts, I don't do (or aspire to do) "Rap" or "Hip-Hop" sessions so I'm sure that I'm not technically qualifed to provide much information about recording those genres...I am, by no means, demeaning those styles or recording...I'm simply admitting that I'm a dummy in that neighborhood...
    post edited by papa2004 - 2006/04/23 13:33:33

Regards,
    Papa
    Rick McNab
    RE: Midi Hiccup/Skip on Playback - The Definitive Thread! 2006/04/23 19:39:14 (permalink)
    UPDATE.....Problem appears to be solved.....

Ran a new test today. Recorded 4 MIDI tracks, but this time in the Options>Global>MIDI, I disabled ALL input except notes. Further, on each newly created track, I specified the input (M-Audio USB Midisport 2X2, Channel 1), and the Output (M-Audio USB Midisport 2X2, Out A), as well as the Channel (xxMotifRackESALL, where xx is the specific Midi Channel). I DID NOT specify Bank or Patch, as I suspect doing this may cause Sonar to send Bank/Patch messages, which might be or contribute to the source of the hiccup/lurch.

Result: Completely smooth playback when starting from any location. Completely smooth playback when looping.

Next experiment: Start adding things back one at a time to see when the lurch re-appears, starting with Bank and Patch settings per track.

I now have a completely new perspective on Sonar. I'm liking it alot.

BTW papa, MPCs have been incredibly popular over the years. Less so as DAWs have come to prominence. But still in the rap and hip-hop community, where owning one is almost a requisite. There is a guy who posts alot, maybe over on Sonar, and his avatar is an MPC3000.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1