Microkorg patch changes ...

Author
rIGHThANDhELIX
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 76
2008/06/24 20:58:58 (permalink)

Microkorg patch changes ...

Whenever I insert a patch change during a track to switch from one patch on the Microkorg to another (say from a verse section to a chorus section ...), there's this "hick up" that screws up the first note.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this ?

2 Replies Related Threads

bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    RE: Microkorg patch changes ... 2008/06/24 23:57:28 (permalink)
    Without knowing the microkorg at all, I have two guesses:
    1. the microkorg is too slow internally to set up all the new parameters, so unless you can send the patch earlier without corrupting previous notes, you are screwed. (When it's the first note of the song, in some cases people need to insert a blank measure up front to allow time for all this setup.)
    2. the microkorg is responding to patch change by sending a sysex dump back to the computer and this gives pause to the MIDI s/w or Sonar. If this is the case, the microkorg is probably configurable so it doesn't send back the sysex. To test for this, see if you can patch MIDI out from the microkorg to an empty Sonar MIDI track, and record on that track while you play back the section with the patch change.

Bill B.
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Microkorg patch changes ... 2008/06/25 14:07:27 (permalink)
    Yeah, it takes some keyboards a teeny bit of time to load up a new patch. I ued to struggle with this with my old Roland D-50 (love that board, but it's old and takes several milliseconds too many to load up new patches).

What I did was to put the patch change several ticks ahead of the downbeat of the new patch sound. Experiment to see how close you can get the patch change event to the downbeat in your given tempo where the korg will be "ready" for the downbeat.

If there's just too much of an unacceptable gap in between song parts, then it's time to record the output of the korg in to new audio tracks. Just record each patch seperately on it's own set of tracks, and play them back as audio instead of midi. Then you'd be gap-free.

HTH,
    Ed
    post edited by ed97643 - 2008/06/25 14:30:03

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1