Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2008/07/01 22:21:13 (permalink)

listening test: Perfect Space and Pristine Space stereo comparison

There was great thread recently about True Stereo IRs:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1423225&mpage=3

I learned a lot from asking dumb questions and reading posts by Dave Clark, Jim Rosebury, Wiz, plectrumpusher, John and others.

There was some mild debate as to whether there was any real benefit to using True Stereo convolution. As far as theory goes, I sure learned a lot.

Anyways, the discussion caused me to go download Voxengo's Pristine Space VST convolution reverb plugin and give it a try. The fact that it's the big sister to SONAR's bundled Perfect Space suggests that a comparison might yield interesting results.

This evening I purchased a license to Pristine Space and I think I'm really going to enjoy learning more about True Stereo convolution.

Here's is a demonstration recording I prepared to make it easier for people to hear the sonic difference between Perfect Space and Pristine Space:

Kalimba_convolution_reverb.mp3

The source files are recordings of a kalimba:

The .mp3 is encoded at VBR best quality.

I hope you enjoy taking a listen.

best regards,
mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2008/07/02 08:54:20

20 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Perfect Space stereo and Pristine Space True Stereo comparison 2008/07/01 22:38:02 (permalink)
    Well I listened and it was very interesting indeed. I got lost though in what was what. So can you please list the what is what in text here I will print that out and insert markers. Nice job Mike. BTW thanks in so many ways.

Best
    John
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Perfect Space stereo and Pristine Space True Stereo comparison 2008/07/01 22:43:48 (permalink)
    I think that I see a little DC offset in the MP3. Not sure though.

Best
    John
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    RE: Perfect Space stereo and Pristine Space True Stereo comparison 2008/07/01 22:49:14 (permalink)
    Wow, completely different sounds! I thought the Pristine Space sounded a little more muddy, and the room sounded like it was bigger and had more depth. You could certainly hear the real stereo sound coming through with the Pristine Space, but the Perfect Space sounded like it was mono, and then had been widened, which is what has happened.. I think both would be useful for different applications. If I were mixing a song with many instruments, I would be more inclined to work with Perfect Space to just try and keep everything tighter, but for an instrumental with only one or two instruments, I would be more inclined to work with the Pristine Space. Nice little test there. Thanks for that!
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Perfect Space stereo and Pristine Space True Stereo comparison 2008/07/01 22:56:10 (permalink)
    Hi John,
    I like to emphasize that these were all quick setups trying to use the basic parameters... I think there's plenty of room to tweak and scale back to get a realistic sound.

There are 3 sections. Each is a prerecorded clip placed in 3 respective tracks. So it's nine clips total... played back to back.

Clip 1 right to left 3 octaves-- Dry - Perfect Space - Pristine Space

Clip 2 left to right 3 octaves-- Dry - Perfect Space - Pristine Space

Clip 3 familiar arpeggio------- Dry - Perfect Space - Pristine Space

I used the Noise Vault impulses that came with Perfect Space for both reverbs.

Perfect Space uses:
    Real Spaces \ Choir Room X/Y center

Pristine Space uses
    Real Spaces \ Choir Room X/Y Left
    Real Spaces \ Choir Room X/Y Right

I left all 3 IRs at their default lengths.

At first I had both reverbs mixed at 0dB gain Dry and -12.0dB gain Wet but Pristine Space was way livelier that Perfect Space in the way that it reacted to the impulses. So I made a slight adjustment to try to get them to sound less dramatically different.

Here's what you are hearing:

Perfect Space: 0dB gain Dry and -12.0dB gain Wet

Pristine Space: 0dB gain Dry and -15.0dB gain Wet

My initial thought is that you can use a lot less True Stereo reverb effect to get a sense of ambience than the sound that Perfect Space provides.

Just for info overload:

Schoeps MK41 super Cardiod mics as X/Y pair into 2 channels of a John Hardy M1 preamp. Sonitus FX Lo-cut filter on the clips to reduce proximity effect from close mic placement.

I'm glad you're taking an interest.

best regards,
    mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2008/07/02 08:30:37
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Perfect Space stereo and Pristine Space True Stereo comparison 2008/07/01 23:03:20 (permalink)
    Glad you like it Matt.

John,
    There's some noise floor in the .wav file especially in the VO because I just sat in front of my laptop and spoke at a SM57 but I see absolutely nothing offset in the .mp3 at full vertical resolution in Adobe Audition when looking at the "silent" passages.

You're trying to scare me?

best,
    mike
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Perfect Space stereo and Pristine Space True Stereo comparison 2008/07/01 23:04:37 (permalink)
    Great job, Mike! Good choice of instrument to demonstrate reverb, too (although I'd also like to hear these reverbs on strings).

I wish more folks would take the time to do this kind of demonstration instead of just throwing out opinions. I'll try to be inspired to do something like this in the future myself.

What I took away from the demo was that Pristine Space does sound better than Perfect Space, but not enough better to justify its purchase, at least not for me. That's just me, though. Reverb just isn't that important to me anymore. The better I get at other aspects of recording and mixing, the less reverb I actually use. I also suspect the difference would be much less noticeable in a mix, as opposed to a solo instrument.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Perfect Space stereo and Pristine Space True Stereo comparison 2008/07/01 23:12:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

Glad you like it Matt.

John,
    There's some noise floor in the .wav file especially in the VO because I just sat in front of my laptop and spoke at a SM57 but I see absolutely nothing offset in the .mp3 at full vertical resolution in Adobe Audition when looking at the "silent" passages.

You're trying to scare me?

best,
    mike

No not at all and I should not have said anything at all. I have it loaded in Sonar. The only thing is that the VO seems to be the part that may have it. But it should not be an issue at all to you or any one. I can't give a judgement on the sound yet. Not until I have a chance to study it a lot more. But I am very impressed that you put this together for us. Thanks is not good enough!

Best
    John
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Perfect Space stereo and Pristine Space True Stereo comparison 2008/07/01 23:45:50 (permalink)
    You're all welcome.

I'm thankful I got to learn something yesterday and today. The discussion yesterday was really helpful.

I like the fact that this way everyone gets to make their own conclusions about suitability.

best regards,
    mike
    Gregmang
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1592
    RE: Perfect Space stereo and Pristine Space True Stereo comparison 2008/07/01 23:58:02 (permalink)
    I love this forum :) I've learned a wealth of knowledge here in the last 5 years (mebbe longer).

Thanks !
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: listening test: Perfect Space and Pristine Space stereo comparison 2008/07/02 08:56:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for checking it out Greg.

BTW, I just changed the title of the thread so that it may be more easily recognized as a listening test opportunity.

best,
    mike
    Gregmang
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1592
    RE: listening test: Perfect Space and Pristine Space stereo comparison 2008/07/02 09:14:06 (permalink)
    I've turned a few friends on to Sonar through the last few years. After I show them the basics I point them to this forum for more learning opportunities and you guys have never failed :)
    UnderTow
    Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3848
    RE: listening test: Perfect Space and Pristine Space stereo comparison 2008/07/02 09:24:36 (permalink)
    Nice work Mike! Thanks for making the effort.

UnderTow
    Wiz
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: listening test: Perfect Space and Pristine Space stereo comparison 2008/07/02 18:08:00 (permalink)
    I havent listened to the test...

But, if you want to really appreciate True Stere Reverb IRs...

take a mono track , say an acoustic guitar

clone it

insert two stereo busses, and put perfect space in the first, and pristine space in the second

set up a stereo reverb in perfect space as Effect send 1 and send say -5db on the aux send for the first track of acoustic guitar to it

set up a True Stereo reverb in Pristine space, set up the routing of pristine space by selecting the preset TRUE STEREO REVERB SEND and send -5db from second acoustic guitar track to it...

So, now you have the same guitar part , going to a stereo reverb in perfect, and to a true stereo reverb in pristine space

Solo each of the guitars in turn, and whilst listening to the performance, pan the guitar across the soundstage....

that should seal the deal...8).

cheers

Wiz

Wiz's Album "Forty Years" done with Sonar 7!

http://www.ozlandmusic.com/ozlandstudios/Preview_music.html

Wiz On Itunes
    KeithAdv
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: listening test: Perfect Space and Pristine Space stereo comparison 2008/07/02 18:44:23 (permalink)
    What a great idea, Mike! Thank you so much for taking the time to do it; I know it was more than a couple of minutes!

I have Pristine Space, but I never A/B'd with Perfect Space like that. I thought the reason I loved it so much were the IRs I bought (www.samplicity.com), which are wonderful Lexicon samples.

What are the takeaways here?

1. "Pristine" Space is very well named.
    2. I suddenly want to buy a Kalimba.
    tubeydude
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 904
    RE: listening test: Perfect Space and Pristine Space stereo comparison 2008/07/02 18:57:42 (permalink)
    Nice job Mike. It's really neat to hear the differences.
    AndyW
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2956
    RE: listening test: Perfect Space and Pristine Space stereo comparison 2008/07/02 23:13:20 (permalink)
    Mike,

I just wanted to pass on how much I hate you for making me spend more money on Voxengo products!

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: listening test: Perfect Space and Pristine Space stereo comparison 2008/07/08 08:04:01 (permalink)
    I'm glad you all enjoyed the demo.

just a bump.
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Perfect Space stereo and Pristine Space True Stereo comparison 2008/07/08 08:40:29 (permalink)
    The better I get at other aspects of recording and mixing, the less reverb I actually use.

Great way of showing the diffs Mike - people should take an example - but I'm totally in agreement with Dave's statement. I've uttered it in different words a few times, and felt like cussing in church for it.

Hmm maybe I should change my sig again. 'Verb is the drugs'.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Perfect Space stereo and Pristine Space True Stereo comparison 2008/07/08 08:59:57 (permalink)
    I think I agree with you and Dave,

It's important to realize that the demo I made did not display any tailoring of the reverb sound. I just dumped the impulses in, adjusted the mix, and hit play.

In real life I would tweak the bandwidth that the reverb responded too and make lots of subtle adjustments... and then I would mix it down to a level where it was not thought of as reverb but merely working as ambience at a subconscious level.

This demo was just a way to display the basic difference between stereo and "true Stereo" convolution.

I have Jim's Studio Cat IRs on the way... I'm looking forward to working with them.

best regards,
    mike
    TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    RE: Perfect Space stereo and Pristine Space True Stereo comparison 2008/07/08 21:17:47 (permalink)
    Mike,

Thanks for the post and all the work that went in to it.
    Even on my laptop speakers I could hear the difference, not just in the reverb density but in the spacial qualities.

Thanks
    ... Steven

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1