record streaming audio of the net with Sonar?

Author
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
2008/12/04 20:31:36 (permalink)

record streaming audio of the net with Sonar?

I have a Layla 3G and Sonar7pe, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to record streaming music off the internet in Sonar, without creating a feedback loop. I can keep levels low, so as not to let the feedback get uncontrollable, but as you crank things to get proper levels, you start getting the "hollow" sound of two sources combined with a short latency between the two....the fixed comb filtering.

I ask this, because obviously some internet places you can't d/l but stream all day. Even places like YouTube, for instance. The only route I can think of currently is resurrecting the old DAT, going into there first, and boucning back via spdif to the computer.

Here's the reason for my problem. It seems what I am streaming ONLY plays thru my first two channels of my Layla and the monitor of what I am recording is the same channels also. I can't seem to figure out how to have the streaming channels playing on 3/4, for instance and then record into Sonar which would playback on 1/2 (or other channels ONLY, other than 3/4 for that matter).

I'm thinking this is a Layla issue, but maybe there is something I can do in Sonar???
post edited by mixmkr - 2008/12/04 20:35:38

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

2 Replies Related Threads

Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: record streaming audio of the net with Sonar? 2008/12/04 21:16:00 (permalink)
    I'm not familiar with your sound card, but here is how I would do it with my EMU 1820m, using ASIO:

The streaming audio would enter my system via the Windows WAV handler. I would want this fader to be aux-prefader.

From there: Mute the incoming channel strip so it doesn't feed into the main mix, make sure that I have an ASIO send for an aux, route the audio out the aux, and you should have it available in Sonar for recording.

HTH

Russ

mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    RE: record streaming audio of the net with Sonar? 2008/12/04 21:57:57 (permalink)
    Yeah, I suppose I could do that too. You're using two soundcards in that situation, I see and I guess I could [re]enable my built in SoundMax too and run some new cables to my mixer, etc...

Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering if there was a setting in Sonar I was blindly overlooking to keep it from not defaulting to monitor off my first set of stereo outputs. When I go into playback, I can choose any set of outputs on the Layla, like I suppose you can on any multi out card. The problem is it defaults to the first set (channels 1 & 2) when recording... and of course anything from my Windows media player to the internet streaming audio goes to those also. Hence the feedback loop. Clear as mud??

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1