Disabling Useless Windows Services

Author
drummerbrad
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 54
2009/05/08 10:02:27 (permalink)

Disabling Useless Windows Services

For those of you whose studio computers are completely non-internet, non-networked, I think I've found a good resource describing which Windows services can be disabled.

http://beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm

I went through and carefully disabled most of the services described on this website and now my workstation loads up with only 116MB committed at startup. Here's a screenshot of my Task Manager: http://www.brad-williamson.com/hidden.cfm

By contrast, my networked home PC loads up at around 750MB at startup--because of all the startup services, antivirus software, etc.
That makes for a whole bunch more headroom for running Sonar.
Check out the site. So far I haven't had a single problem. My machine is running clean, lean and mean!

Sonica Labs R6600--XP x32 SP2, PreSonus Firepod, Sonar PE 8.5.3  Guitar Rig 4  Superior 2.0
www.brad-williamson.com

28 Replies Related Threads

dlion16
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2009/05/08 10:19:53 (permalink)
    good info. how 'bout vista 32 tips?
    drummerbrad
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2009/05/08 10:27:31 (permalink)
    How about this for a tip: don't use Vista 32!
    Just kidding. I would imagine most of the processes listed on that website still apply for Vista, and Vista probably adds in a bunch more. You might just do some googling to see if anyone has posted something similar for useless Vista processes.

Sonica Labs R6600--XP x32 SP2, PreSonus Firepod, Sonar PE 8.5.3  Guitar Rig 4  Superior 2.0
    www.brad-williamson.com
    PaPi
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1032
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2009/05/08 10:31:35 (permalink)
    I remember reading a very interesting article proving that all the trouble people go through to "optimize" their DAW only results in marginal improvements.
    soundtweaker
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1036
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2009/05/08 10:53:15 (permalink)
    Some of the biggest differences come from turning off virus protection and video card control panels.
    dlion16
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2009/05/08 10:54:34 (permalink)
    DaveT
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 724
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2009/05/08 12:18:05 (permalink)
    A word of caution doing this. I turned off a bunch of stuff recommed by some PC/DAW guru. Ended up disabling some things need to run SD2. Had to call support to get it fixed.

Beware!!

DaveT
    Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2009/05/08 13:32:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dlion16

good info. how 'bout vista 32 tips?

Stay away!!!!!!

Regards
    Freddie
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2009/05/08 16:40:00 (permalink)
    I remember reading a very interesting article proving that all the trouble people go through to "optimize" their DAW only results in marginal improvements.

Shutting down "unnecessary" services will conserve a little memory and very little CPU useage.
    IOW, You won't see much appreciable performance enhancement from doing so

Making sure your DPC latency is in check is far more important...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    drummerbrad
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2009/05/08 17:04:29 (permalink)
    Granted you're not likely to see much performance improvement, unless you have antivirus software or Windows indexing that is doing realtime scanning of files on your hard drive.
    Where the bang for the buck is with disabling these processes is reclaiming nearly half a gig of ram, which creates more headroom for Sonar.

www.brad-williamson.com
    Freddie H
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2009/05/10 04:21:30 (permalink)
    Avoiding tweaks of dubious value

Microsoft
    Among diehard tweakers, the urge to squeeze out every last bit of performance from a computer is irresistible. As a result, even a casual web search turns up dozens of tips intended to help you improve performance in Windows.
    The best way to tune up Windows is to throw hardware at it. Nothing speeds up a sluggish system like a healthy dose of extra RAM.

Unfortunately, many of the Windows-tuning tips we’ve seen are of dubious value, and a few can actually hurt performance when indiscriminately applied. Some of these spurious tips are derived from techniques that worked with older Windows versions but are irrelevant now. Others are based on seemingly logical but erroneous extrapolations of how would-be experts think Windows works.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-US/Help/596FB57F-CC9D-4AC5-A813-5C0830E9156A1033.mspx

Regards
    Freddie
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2009/05/11 09:26:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Freddie H
    Avoiding tweaks of dubious value

That's good advice, as far as it goes...

there is a ton of information on the web, unfortunately, there is also at least a ton (maybe more) of misinformation out there. What's a person to do?

Well, as has always been the case, you need to do your homework - if you don't have a clue as to how a computer actually works then tweaking it is probably not a great idea to start with.

The good news = there are things you can do if you need to get that last little bit of performance from your system.

The not-as-good news = that last little bit of performance may still not be enough, and you are going to have to hunt, and you are going to have to experiment, or, you are going to have to pay someone that has the knowledge you need.

To draw a parallel, there are countless (or maybe I'm just too lazy to count?) web sites out there that will suggest that the best way to defeat a ground loop induced noise problem is to defeat the safety ground on your equipment. You'll even find this suggestion here in this forum. This might be the absolute worst advice you will ever read! Not only does is mask a problem, it is dangerous. They call it a safety ground for a reason... it provides a safe path to ground, and away from you, should dangerous currents start flowing where they ought not to.

The point is, well meaning or not there is bad information out there, and it is not always immediately obvious whether or not information is good or bad. If you need the information you may not have the knowledge necessary to figure out whether information is good or bad.

Folks that make a living building systems have a definite incentive to sit back and watch, but oddly enough there are at least two folks on this forum who understand the issues inside and out (Scott and Jim) and they share this hard won knowledge freely. So pay attention to their posts.

That said, if you really do want to learn it isn't real difficult to do so... while you can cripple a computer with inappropriate settings you would have to work really hard to actually damage it. Just make your first task learning to backup and recover so that you can reinstall an known good version of your operating environment if necessary!

And while I do not have the depth of knowledge that Jim and Scott possess, I can share my experience. In the past (think Celeron class machines) I was an avid over-clocker, and it was well worth while! My current computer (Q6600 on P5K-C w/4GB) is sufficiently fast that I don't need to overclock. I still turn of some of the really obvious services more from habit, or for security reasons. I have not "run out of steam" yet, and I doubt that turning off services is the reason<G>!

If you are curious - and remember this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it - I disable:
    1) firewall, security center, remote access, remote registry access etc - strictly for security reasons, I trust my external firewall far more than I do an internal one, and I don't need reminders about security issues, and I don't want to grant remote access to anyone!
    2) all quick-starters, iTunes, OpenOffice, etc - I don't need them
    3) all automatic updaters, Java, MS, etc - I don't need them
    4) most accessories (the control panel for the Dakota does come in handy<G>)

There might be a couple of others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

These are all common sense things, and while I doubt that they add to track count I suppose they give me the illusion of being in control<G>!

Good luck...

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    wintaper
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 464
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2009/05/12 15:46:16 (permalink)
    Copied this from an older posting. This advice is for a dedicated stand-alone DAW only (it disables Windows Networking).

Use at your own risk.

If you have 3GB or more of RAM, turn off virtual memory completely. Sonar doesn't use that much and the machine will run faster with vm turned off

an easier way to turn off those unneeded services is to paste the following lines into a text file, save it with a .cmd extension and then double-click the file. All of these services are non-essential for DAW...

net stop netman
    net stop NVsvc
    net stop HidServ
    net stop PolicyAgent
    net stop CryptSvc
    net stop winmgmt
    net stop MSDTC
    net stop "Apple Mobile Device"
    net stop "iPod Service"
    net stop w32time
    net stop spooler
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop wuauclt
    net stop TermService
    net stop PolicyAgent
    net stop ProtectedStorage
    net stop SENS
    net stop LmHosts
    net stop netlogon
    net stop lanmanworkstation
    net stop lanmanserver
    pause

NOTE: this will also stop most MS networking as well (file+print sharing, although tcp/ip will still be running)

-Dan

PS: Some machines may not have all these services, others may have additional services running, but this is the general idea

Intel i7 @ 3.60GHz, 12GB DDR3 1600MHz, Win7 / OSX 10.6.6, Sonar 8.53 / Pro Tools 9.0.1, RME RayDAT, UAD2-Quad, Focusrite OctoPre (x4), Euphonix MC Mix, Tascam US2400, Monette Ajna (x2), 15' Macbook Pro

Freddie H
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2009/05/26 04:26:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wintaper

Copied this from an older posting. This advice is for a dedicated stand-alone DAW only (it disables Windows Networking).

Use at your own risk.

If you have 3GB or more of RAM, turn off virtual memory completely. Sonar doesn't use that much and the machine will run faster with vm turned off

an easier way to turn off those unneeded services is to paste the following lines into a text file, save it with a .cmd extension and then double-click the file. All of these services are non-essential for DAW...

net stop netman
    net stop NVsvc
    net stop HidServ
    net stop PolicyAgent
    net stop CryptSvc
    net stop winmgmt
    net stop MSDTC
    net stop "Apple Mobile Device"
    net stop "iPod Service"
    net stop w32time
    net stop spooler
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop wuauclt
    net stop TermService
    net stop PolicyAgent
    net stop ProtectedStorage
    net stop SENS
    net stop LmHosts
    net stop netlogon
    net stop lanmanworkstation
    net stop lanmanserver
    pause

NOTE: this will also stop most MS networking as well (file+print sharing, although tcp/ip will still be running)

-Dan

PS: Some machines may not have all these services, others may have additional services running, but this is the general idea

XP32bit only not on VISTA!

I have 8GB RAM total 16GB RAM and VIRTUAL MEMORY shall be ON in VISTA 64bit!
    The rest; some apps you refereed to here in this TWEAK doesn't even exist in VISTA or WINDOWS 7 system!

Hope everyone get my point!

Regards
    Freddie
    post edited by Freddie H - 2009/05/26 04:35:49

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    Timur
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 179
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2009/05/26 09:20:35 (permalink)
    So you still do your audio work on computers with less than 1 gb RAM? Ok, go and turn off some services to regain a few dozend mb.

Else: Leave them running and don't care unless:

You bought some preconfigured PC/laptop that comes with heaps of unnessecary software from the OEM (like most laptops do)

Use Control Panel's Software/Programs Uninstaller to get rid of anything you don't use. No need to play around with Services when there is uninstallers.

You are using Vista

You should consider disabling Superfetch (uses upto 100 mb) and you might consider turning off Defender (upto around 30 mb). I would not turn off Aero (upto around 30 mb) when using Sonar with MMCSS. Without MMCSS you might consider turning off Aero or just turn Sonar's priority to "Realtime" via Task-Manager.

Your Antivirus/Firewall/Spam Defender slows down your system and affects audio performance

Either just turn it off while doing audio work or get better software (I can recommend Avira Antivirus as a lightweight solution that wont get in your DAW's way).

We're all mad in here...
    yummay
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2010/10/01 10:11:01 (permalink)
    ... an easier way to turn off those unneeded services is to paste the following lines into a text file, save it with a .cmd extension and then double-click the file. All of these services are non-essential for DAW... net stop netman net stop NVsvc net stop HidServ net stop PolicyAgent net stop CryptSvc net stop winmgmt net stop MSDTC net stop "Apple Mobile Device" net stop "iPod Service" ......

Very interesting, I'm running on Windows 7 64 bits and, as I am not familiar with writing code, I would like to know if I could write two simple .CMD routines that I could launch with just one click to ACTIVATE (for "every-day use" of my laptop) and DEACTIVATE (for DAW needs) a precise list of windows services...

To re-activate services, should a line be like:

net start netman     ??

I am also wondering if the bakers could publish a list of the essential services needed to run SONAR and most of the DX/VST plugins to the best of their knowledge?? (even an "AT YOUR OWN RISK" list would be fine for me...)

With this list and the above CMD start/stop routine, it would be easier to quickly toggle back and forth, no??

Bitflipper proposed something like this to activate/deactivate networks quickly... I need to find it again. Anyway, it looks promising but a little difficult for me to program and set-up...

Yummay,
    Amuses-gueules sonores
    Bite-sized sounds and harmonic entrées

Dell Studio 1747 (I7), Tascam US20x20, Yamaha 01v96V2 / Behringer ADA 8000, Godin LGXT+ Roland GR-09, Behringer Motor 49. Windows 10 (64), Sonar Platinum, Komplete 10, Sound Forge 10, Vegas pro 9, Waves Gold.
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2010/10/01 12:57:18 (permalink)

I have read that too. On the other hand, that may be based on the fact that there is plenty of memory available on most machines, and that Windows services typically do not occupy a huge share of that. The OP seems to have gotten a lot more free memory with his tweaks, but I wonder how much of that is due to not loading programs at startup. His comparision is not between the same machine with and without the tweaks, but between his tweaked DAW and a home machine running god-only-knows-what at startup.
    yummay
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2010/10/01 15:52:06 (permalink)
    I understand that little improvements are achived, but I am stuck between a rock and a hard place here...

My DELL STUDIO 17 / Win 7 64 bit laptop has a DAW-only BOOT under wich I managed somehow to control the DPC spikes (did so many things, disabled so many components, that I do not know anymore what tweak made the difference... LOL) ... Am I just lucky??

Anyway, now my DPC is 99% of the time under 400 "us" most of the time around 200.... BUT, SONAR 8.5 still experience full-stop DROPOUT form time to time, even with small projects... CPU and MEMORY resources meters show very little system usage when DROPOUTS are happening, so it is not a question of power in my case!

So it seems that there is only ONE thing or service that still cripples SONAR... does not seems to happen with Pro-Tools M-Powered or my other softs...

And the 10% of times that I have problems are CRITICAL problems when working on audio productions. I can never feel safe when recording or producing or giving clients ETA's on delivery...

Real PITA.

Yummay,
    Amuses-gueules sonores
    Bite-sized sounds and harmonic entrées

Dell Studio 1747 (I7), Tascam US20x20, Yamaha 01v96V2 / Behringer ADA 8000, Godin LGXT+ Roland GR-09, Behringer Motor 49. Windows 10 (64), Sonar Platinum, Komplete 10, Sound Forge 10, Vegas pro 9, Waves Gold.
    jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2010/10/09 20:15:19 (permalink)
    For me it is more about interruptions:

I do not want stuff like this running:
      screen blanker (timer) and other power control stuff
      wireless service (got no wireless card)
      any thing that attempts to update automatically:
        windows, quicktime, adobe, java, AV,...
        indexing: uses "idle" time   (disabled)
        stuff related to domains,...

Although I do have the audio comp connected to a network, I have disabled all non-relevant network services.

Page file: lots of programs need a page file. And windows needs one on the OS drive to properly record errors. And windows will unload stuff from ram that does not need to be there.  So, I have mine set to SYSTEM MANAGED on the OS drive only. If it is needed the OS can use it. I figger setting upper and lower limits may interfere with stuff I do not want to know about.

Laptops fur shur should have the wireless connection and the radio, disabled/off.

Check the processes list in the task manager. Watch for a while: what is using CPU cycles. Also check the performance chart. Many processes use CPU cycles at less time than the processes list updates display. Not always easy to spot the varmints.

And so on.

J
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2010/10/09 21:48:38 (permalink)
    I've disabled all kinds of things...the problem now is constant HD activity. It could be any of a thousand things...I never should have installed the OS onto a 1TB drive for starters
    RogerS
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2010/10/09 22:12:39 (permalink)
    montezuma - On my systems, the setting that greatly reduces the disk IO is unchecking the "Index this drive for faster searching" on your drive properties (for NTFS drives). 

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    jm24
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2010/10/09 22:17:02 (permalink)
    Windows will rearrange the swap file, the indexer will run, daily restore point, super fetch,..

Use the disk manager to reduce the size of the current partition. And then create a couple new ones. use the 2nd for w7 32 or 64. Use one for backups of the audio files which will be recorded on the 2nd drive.

Most samplers will load into ram and not stream, so putting samples on the OS partition will not degrade performance.

Start | run  type msconfig. 
      Startup tab: quicktime/qtask, adobe, real audio, java,...
      Services tab:
        fur shur: ATI hotkey poler, if it exists.
        wlan config, if no wireless card
        windows media sharing
        And some others. I have over 60 services disabled.

But, before you do the above create a restore point. This function has been stupidly hidden: Control panel, system, Advanced Settings, CREATE.

Always do such before making major changes.

And so on.

J

(Is that really a picture of you? Or a picture of how you want to appear?)
    montezuma
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2010/10/10 23:08:17 (permalink)
    Can you partition a hard drive after you have installed the OS and general software?

Disabling indexing...does that basically mean that if you do conduct a search of windows/ your hd...that it will just take a little longer than if you allowed indexing? That's the only negative to turning it off?
    post edited by montezuma - 2010/10/10 23:11:39
    jm24
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2010/10/10 23:14:08 (permalink)
    w7 "disk management" interface can resize and create partitions.

Also: easus.com has a free version.
    RogerS
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2010/10/10 23:15:09 (permalink)
    montezuma - yes, you are correct about indexing. And yes, with a program like Acronis Disk Director, you can change your drive partitions any time. For example, instead of having 1 large partition on your hard drive (i.e. your boot drive), you can reduce the size of your OS partition, and make room for an additional partition on the same drive.

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    RogerS
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2010/10/10 23:18:14 (permalink)
    One more thing: adding a partition to your drive does not improve your system performance like having a second physical drive for your audio. But I always do it on any system, even if just to simplify the management and creation of drive backup images.

montezuma
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2010/10/10 23:26:00 (permalink)
    My OS drive is 1TB...what advantages then, apart from simplifying the management and creation of drive backup images, would there be in partitioning it and having the OS on a smaller/ it's own partition within the 1TB...say on a partition of 250gig?
    jm24
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2010/10/10 23:44:53 (permalink)
    The more stuff on the drive the longer it takes to defrag, optimize,... The farther the heads have to move the longer the seek time. For most stuff this does not matter but:
    When a file is deleted the space is not immediately used. But after a while it is and hence future files become fragmented. Every bit of space on a disk is referenced in the File Allocation Tables. Every time a file it written to disk, each sector must be allocated and listed in the FATs. This requires head movement. The more files the more head movement, the longer the access time. The page file gets fragmented, the OS needs to clean it and add to it,... more time.

Partitions are useful when doing stuff that is not simultaneous. This is because the same set of heads must travers the disk, updating the in-use partition's FAT.

So, I allocated one disk to 3 partitions: w7 32, w7 64, and CD projects and storage. 
    Only one of the first two partitions will be used during recording. But the heads will not have to move over lots of space when needing to access files for the OS, Sonar, plug ins, the page file, temporary files,...

And with SATA the issue with "slave" drives is of less importance. When using IDE I had the CD rom connected as slave to the OS disk. And since the samplers I use are mostly not streaming, the samples disk was slave to the audio projects disk.

It is true that SATA appears to use master/slave because of the use of "channels," similar to USB. But it is less of an issue than IDE was.

==========================
    How I did it:

500 gig disk:
      C:\  win 7 32      (100gb)   all audio programs, VSTs, sonar picture cache
      J:\  (C when booted)  win 7 64      (100gb)   all audio programs, VSTs, sonar picture cache
      O:\  stuff            (~~280gb)   CD projects, and storage

200 gig disk:
    D:\   samples, misc

500 gig disk:
    E:\  audio projects\
              sonar projects
              cal
              presets
              templates
              and most of the other sonar folders

I installed Sonar to  C:\Sonar7, Sonar8.5,...

I attempt to install all plugs in c:\AudioCommon: shared plugins, shared vst, shared surfaces,..

And all non-sonar audio programs in c:\AudioPrograms.

And so on.
    montezuma
    RE: Disabling Useless Windows Services 2010/10/10 23:49:37 (permalink)
    Yeah when I say 'slave' all I mean is 'second hard drive'
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1