No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help

Author
Mike3825
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2010/07/04 12:08:17 (permalink)

No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help

I just spent several hours mixing down and importing audio files onto tracks of C5. I could hear them, and then something happened and I couldn't hear them. The audio form is still on the tracks. Yesterday I could see the VU meter moving when I hip play but no sound, but today VU has no movement and no sound. PS my hookup works just fine in Real Band. I also closed all programs except C5. All those programs were closed for 10 to 20 seconds prior to opening C5. I use Vista 32 on a Laptop.

Here is my hookup USB to M-Audio Fast Track Pro, FT RCA's to PA system, also FT 1/4 inch to Studio Speakers (NFS - for recording mix down) . All components hooked up to my computer are on, and computer volume is set to 96. Sound card settings playback and record set to Fast Track. I also have 1/8 inch line out of my computer to 1/4 input of Fast Track (just in case). I tested all setting for sound using Real Band and it works.

First thing I do boot up my computer, then I open C5. I get the following message: There are no Audio Devices for the  current driver model on your system. Please go to Options|Audio and choose a different driver model.

When I follow directions above Driver model = Asio (model options are: Wdm/Ks, Wasap, ASIO4all v2 audio headphone/speaker, M-Audio USB ASIO Analog 1/2 fast track or 3/4 Fast Track. Play Back w/ASIO = None (Playback options: ASIO 4all ..., M-Audio..1/2 or MA...3/4.

I changed Playback from none to 1/2 Fast Track, I hit Apply - It generates - I hit OK - the window closes (this is what i do on the other options stated below) - I hit play. No sound and no VU movement on playback (VU same on all test below). Driver model ASIO.

2nd Options, I set Playback to ASIO4all ... I apply, hit Ok. Playback no sound.

3rd option, I set playback to MME32 - System performs a test - Playback still line 1/2 fast track - I apply, OK, hit play and nothing.

By Wednesday, if I can't get this resolved, I will ship this program back to PG and write-off the extensive time I spent with this program. I like the look of the program, and I believe it could be an asset, but this kind of problem real sends me reeling and very frustrated. Everybody on the site have been very helpful, and I want to say thank you for that help even if I drop this program. I posted this message to both Cakewalk site and PG Music site for others that may have this same problem.

Thank You from Milwaukee Mike

http://www.mikesjazzguitar.com/

22 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 12:14:56 (permalink)
    close MC5... reopen  with RUN as Administrator.... right click on the icon to get there....

run the wave profiler....

select the computer soundcard if that's what your using as both input and output audio device.

You probably need to use the MME driver for a factory card....

see if that helps....

since the form is still in the tracks and the meters are moving... it's just a matter of telling the computer where to send the audio from MC5....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 13:00:07 (permalink)
    you have to make sure that the fast track is up, running and recognized by windows before you start MC.  could that have been the problem?

when you change to ASIO driver mode, what EXACTLY does the OUTPUT say for the master bus in your project?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Mike3825
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 13:19:45 (permalink)
    Thanks to Guitarhacker and Beagle,

Guitarhacker, wav files play with my hook up in Windows Media player and real band, and I don't know how to check wav profiler. But my wav file do work in other programs so I believe this is a C5 issue. As stated in previous email did try MME setting. I also stated today the VU meters are not responding, but were yesterday but with no sound today or yesterday.

Beagle, I believe that my computer does recognize because same hookup in RB and when I go to sound devices it shows FT both for playback and recording.
    In counsel view I believe master bus is over to the right, at the bottom of that slider it says fast track. Again it will not let me pick ASIO4All. If I didn't answer the Output question, please let me know.

Thanks from Milwaukee Mike
    Beagle
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 14:05:50 (permalink)
    Mike - first - why are you using ASIO4ALL with the fast track? 

ok - go to OPTIONS>AUDIO

if I'm correct your PLAYBACK DEVICE and RECORDING DEVICE will show NONE, you need to choose the fast track from the pull down list.

Mike3825
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 14:28:55 (permalink)
    Beagle,

With ASIO it shows M-Audio for playback, and if I switch to MME it shows Fast track. In both cases I selected and applied and hit OK.

Mike
    Mike3825
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 14:30:46 (permalink)
    Beagle,

If you have other hookup suggestions, please let me know. I need the MA to hookup my NFS to monitor recording.

Mike
    Beagle
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 14:55:16 (permalink)
    Mike - why do you have ASIO4ALL?  have you tried using the native ASIO drivers?  ASIO4ALL is a WDM wrapper and should only be used when you can't get native WDM or ASIO drivers to work.  the M-audio fast track has solid WDM and ASIO drivers so unless you have had a problem getting them to work correctly, you shouldn't use ASIO4ALL.

Mike3825
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 15:24:55 (permalink)
    Beagle,

I am using the M-Audio FTP. Just for fun I closed C5, waited 15sec, and opened RB. I made sure to select under audio MA FTP. I hit play and it worked. I closed RB waited 15 sec opened C5 with same settings ASIO selecting MA FTP, hit play VU's working now but no sound.

Mike
    Beagle
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 15:32:12 (permalink)
    Mike - I understand you're using the m-audio ftp, but you stated in your original post that you set your output to ASIO4ALL.

ASIO4ALL is not a native driver for the m-audio FTP.  it's a program that you had to specifically install. 

go to OPTIONS>AUDIO
    and use the mouse to click on the pull down on the PLAYBACK DEVICE
    then list ALL of the options you have.  please list them EXACTLY as they are worded.

Mike3825
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 15:47:31 (permalink)
    Beagle,

I just sent you an email at your site. I am corrsponding to you via my desktop, and then going into another room and checking my laptop setting. A bit of a pain. Perhaps the phone would work better.

To answer your question: M-Audio USB ASIO analog 1/2 Fast Track PRO, M-Audio USB ASIO S/PDIF 3/4 Fast Track Pro, ASIO4ALL v2 HD Audio Headphone/Speak 1

Mike 
    Beagle
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 15:51:46 (permalink)
    yes, I'm sure that's a pain - you don't have internet on your DAW, I assume.  I can't talk on the phone right now, I have other priorities and I'm checking my email and forum as often as I can at the moment.

ok.  make sure you have PLAYBACK set ONLY to M-audio USB ASIO analong 1/2 and NOTHING else.  choose the similar choice for RECORDING.  don't use anything with SPDIF or ASIO4ALL.

Mike3825
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 17:36:01 (permalink)
    Beagle,

It's the way I've got it set - as you stated above. Perhaps I invoked some switch in C5; because, as I stated the set-up works in RB, and settings look the same in C5, but C5 doesn't play sound. I'll be around today an tomorrow. Or you can leave a message if I step out. I strongly believe it's something in C5. Thanks again for your help.

Mike
    Beagle
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 18:05:53 (permalink)
    I just did the exact same thing you described above.  open MC open a project, play it, close MC.  open RB, open a project and play it.  close RB, open MC open a project and play it.  it works perfectly here.

what version of RB do you have?  what build? 

when you open MC the 2nd time, look at your OUTPUT for the master bus and what does it have listed?

Mike3825
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 18:25:41 (permalink)
    Beagle,

Thanks for your help.
    Good news. I thought I would create a test project new no tracks. I would import wav files on track 1,2 etc. The only difference is I let it set the directories by default - under Cakewalk projects folder, that has a sub folder called test (or name of the song, that has a sub folder called audio that has the individual audio tracks. On the previous song that showed the audio and VU movement but no sound, that file was in a folder I call Music, sub folder Mix downs, sub folder, test (or name of song), and that test folder has an audio folder with the audio tracks. This problem seems to be a file management problem. I've been working with PT and now RB (same program) about 2.5 years. In that program the all aspects of a file are saved in the location you specify. In C5 you have 2 folders the name of the song and in that folder is a sub folder for the audio. This is new to me. Please direct me with this. I did review the manual but I missed this. Now that I've created this song: Test folder I can open the file containing the audio called test.cwp. This song as associated audio tracks found in the audio folder. I'm I missing something?????
    Mike 
    Mike3825
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 18:30:36 (permalink)
    I forgot to say with the correct file saving and selecting I can now hear my project. I just love these learning curves. If I could only fig a way to make money doing this - I could be one of the wealthiest people in the world.

Thanks for spending time on this crap with me. Enjoy the fireworks tonight!!!

Milwaukee Mike
    Beagle
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 18:33:57 (permalink)
    no, you're not missing something, that's the way MC's file structure works.  it has the audio in the AUDIO subfolder of the folder which has the name of your project.  the other alternative is that it can have all of the audio in the same global audio folder under PROJECTS folder (but I don't recommend using that global folder because it keeps all of the audio from all projects there if you use it that way.)  there's a setting in MC where you can change that.

however, I'm not following where your problem is.  you created subfolders in the projects folder or somewhere else?

Mike3825
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 18:49:50 (permalink)
    Beagle

The problem is no more. The file I was previously working with I may have created a folder did something else that C5 could not deal with. I'm sure. All I wanted to do is see if I could get this program to work, and it's done - it works, and I now no the steps I must follow. RB and C5 are different programs. I need to find how to accomplish what I do in RB and transfer that to C5. Then I need to find the differences and how C5 may be better then RB etc...

I will keep working with C5 and I will post my questions. But I think this one is finally fixed. Thanks again. If anybody out there has suggestions, I'm willing to listen. Beagle, I'm not going to use one folder for all audio. I plan to create one folder per song. I can see the value in this.
    Mike
    Beagle
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 19:23:21 (permalink)
    ok.  glad you figured it out.

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 21:53:11 (permalink)
    Beagle alluded to this earlier, but I just want to add a few notes.
    ASIO4All is a good program for devices that do not have native ASIO drivers.
    However, it is a very robust and somewhat aggressive program, and it can cause conflicts with devices that do have native ASIO drivers.
    If you do have such a device (in your case, the Fast Track Pro), it is generally best to completely remove ASIO4All from your system.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/04 22:31:14 (permalink)
    it is generally best to completely remove ASIO4All from your system.

I quoted RobertB here because I want to stress this.
    If your audio device has native ASIO drivers, delete ASIO4All from your computer.
    I think that's what Beagle was trying to say, too.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Mike3825
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/05 10:29:54 (permalink)
    Thanks to all of you,

A note re ASIO4ALL. I've been told by PG that their programs have known conflicts with MA. They said to use 4ALL but select the MA as the device. I will try and change this to just MA and see it the PG clashes. If it (PG) doesn't crash I will remove 4ALL from my computer.

PS if there is anybody out there that uses both Real Band or Power Tracks and have a good handel on the differences between those 2 and C5, your comments are very welcome.

Milwaukee Mike
    Beagle
    Re:No Sound re MC5 Several different hookups tried - Please help 2010/07/05 10:53:43 (permalink)
    Mike - I have an M-audio Delta 44 and I have MC5, Sonar 8, BIAB 2010 and Real Band.  The only thing I don't have is Power Tracks.  everything works fine with m-audio's native drivers.

the only differences is you have a USB m-audio device and I have a PCI one and I don't have Power Tracks to check that.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1