Could someone please confirm this is safe for me to do please ?

Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2010/09/22 17:31:52 (permalink)

Could someone please confirm this is safe for me to do please ?

Hi all

My dad has a EBS HD 350 Bass head you will be able to see it here http://www.bass.se/

In my house I can only do silent recrding basicaly I cant mic up a amp or anything like that because it would be far to loud for the people who live next door

I was looking at his Bass head tonight and noticed it has a balanced output XLR so wnt on the EBS web site on to the FAQ section and found that .......

Q6: Will I damage my EBS head if I use it without a cabinet; for example in a recording situation?   You may use all EBS bass head without speaker load, i.e. no speaker connected., except the new Classic T90 all tube head that should have a speaker load to avoid harming the tubes.

So my question is  would it be safe to run this through one of my mic pres on the VS700 and use it for recording ?

I have never done anything like this before so thought it best to ask you guys who will know :D

Thanks for all the help everyone

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

15 Replies Related Threads

Norrie
    Re:Could someone please confirm this is safe for me to do please ? 2010/09/22 21:27:49 (permalink)
    Its ok guys I got some answers over on the gear sluts forum a min ago so thought I would let you know.

I was told

"Since it is a solid state amp you should be fine running it out of the XLR DI into your mic preamp. That's what that XLR out is for. Just watch your levels coming out.
    On the back of that amp there is are dip switches. When number 4 is in the up position it turns on the speaker simulator. Try that too it might sound cool."

"That should work perfectly . I had the same amp and it's a very good bass amp , one of the best I've had the pleasure of using actually . It also has a speaker simulator via the mini dip switches but I preferred it off , you should try it though and has a few other configurations so check the manual for the DI setting you are looking for, excellent OD and comp built in as well . It should give up some very good direct tones ."

I am looking forward to trying it now its going to be a million times better than the pod farm plug in I am useing now.The sounds are so fake and I am starting to hate the sounds on that plug in........

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Could someone please confirm this is safe for me to do please ? 2010/09/23 16:14:56 (permalink)
     Didn't have time to check their web site so I'll leave this to you to check out.
     Some amps have the XLR output pre EQ and pre amp meaning it's captured before you hit the the amps "tone"  so it's the same as using the bass direct like a DI Box. There would be no point in using the amp if this is the case. But sounds like this puppy has some switches and might be settings that send the signal post EQ. Then you will have the benefit of the pre amp and tone shaping. ( compressor? )
    I have a Yorkville B 200 bass amp and the line out is post pre amp so the tone shaping and compressor sound arrives at the mixer.
    It's a combo amp but if you plug a headphone dummy plug it shuts off the speaker for recording. Tube amps need a power soak or they are not happy without a speaker load, Transistors could care less.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Could someone please confirm this is safe for me to do please ? 2010/09/23 17:32:37 (permalink)
    Since the XLR output on the EBS is a line level output (or should  be), you should plug it into a line level input. Line out-Line in. 
    The XLR on your mic pre is for a microphone? The Mic Pre has 48 V phantom Power?
    The Mic Pre was made made for voice frequencies? Not Bass frequencies? While a guitar will work nicely through a Mic Pre with an Instrument Input and switch. I wouldn't pass a Bass through it.
    It might work just fine but why not put it through the V amp? I'm sure it has Bass capabilities.

Craig DuBuc
    Norrie
    Re:Could someone please confirm this is safe for me to do please ? 2010/09/23 17:53:56 (permalink)
    The vamp I am unsure If i wil be geting it now....... I oayed for it but I have been tracking it and all it says is left origin country larnaca airport and thatts been like that since the 15th Ive contacted the people at the shop and all they say Is they will lok in to it they are being of no help at all. So think I might need to get my money back and get one from somewhere else

Anyways about the EBS HD350

How would I use this straight in to the vs700 then ? from the xlr to a line input ? Or another way from he Xlr on the ebs to what ?  Ive never done it before so I really dont know what to do.

Other people I spoke to over on gear sluts are saying it will work no problem http://www.gearslutz.com/...-head.html#post5817047

How would I do it then craig ?

Thanks

Norrie
    post edited by Norrie - 2010/09/23 17:55:31

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Could someone please confirm this is safe for me to do please ? 2010/09/23 18:00:55 (permalink)
    This is a link to the ebs sight http://www.bass.se/

Features 100% Solid State Design
    Drive control
    Tube Emulated Drive
    ControlCompressor/Limiter
    Powerful 4-band EQ
    Serial and Parallel Effects loop
    Floating balanced XLR output
    Built-in speaker simulator
    9 volt EBS Phantom Power System™
    Active Intelligent cooling system
    350 W pure MOSFET power.

I know very little about the amp as its my dads not mine so I wil need to dig out the manual on this one I think unless any one can tell me how to set it up :)

Norrie

post edited by Norrie - 2010/09/23 18:02:18

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Could someone please confirm this is safe for me to do please ? 2010/09/23 18:04:45 (permalink)
    Try it if you'd like. I wouldn't do it that way. XLR out to TRS in. The 1/4" inputs on the V700R are TRS. Both are balanced. Read your Mic Pre owner manual and see if XLR you want to plug into is line level. And see if the EBS output is line level. You need to check these things now that you're hooking things up. Especially with low frequency instruments.

Craig DuBuc
    Norrie
    Re:Could someone please confirm this is safe for me to do please ? 2010/09/23 18:12:33 (permalink)
    How would you do it if you dont mind me asking ? If you couldnt mic up the cabs but had the head and knew what it could do ?

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Could someone please confirm this is safe for me to do please ? 2010/09/24 16:46:07 (permalink)
    Hey again!

Thats it all sorted xlr to xlr on the balanced out put works like a dream just use the gain  to send the level going to the vs 700

It works like a dream and sounds awesome

Thanks to every one :D

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Could someone please confirm this is safe for me to do please ? 2010/09/25 18:00:30 (permalink)
    Hi guys as you all know I was seting up my AER compact 60 and also my EBS HD350 going direct in to my vs 700

I set it up useing XLR - XLR on the AER and XLR - XLR on the EBS HD 350

I had sound comeing through on both and the sound is awesome I have to say apart from one thing

Every so often I can hear a crackle almost like a problem in the guitar lead or something so Ive tryed 3 different guitar leads

This happens both with the AER and the EBS

I dont know what I am doing wrong or what is causeing this

I tryed it last night for a few mins and I didnt notice the crackle at all bit I only played for a few mins very quiet thought it worled and went to my bed quite happy

I invited a friend up tonight to see it all working but as I was leting him play we started to notice the crackle happening every so often

As you can tell I was embaressed after saying to him how awesome it was to have it all set up and working the way I thought it was.

I am gutted to say the least

Could some one please help me with this I dont know what to do or where to start to fix it.

Apart from the slight crakle thats hapening now and again the sounds are amaizing so I am really gutted about this ;(

Please could some one help me with this I dont have the first clue what to do to stop the crackle

Thanks to everyone

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Could someone please confirm this is safe for me to do please ? 2010/09/25 19:14:51 (permalink)
    Hi Norrie I see you are having some fun and games with your bass head. Firstly is there any way you can connect the output from that DI connection on the front to something else completely like a small mixer or something and just monitor the sound quailty to make sure the crackling is not in the bass head or it is in fact in the bass head. ie eliminate the VS700R from the equation all together. 

What sort of levels are you recording at with your VS 700R. Maybe you are clipping without knowing it. Are the input preamps in the VS700R being overloaded. Have you got the PADS switched IN on your VS700R? You may need to switch them in. Make sure no phantom power is being sent on the signal line you are using to connect to the VS700R. It should not matter but it might be causing some concerns. Are the compressors (on the VS700R) switched in as well. I would not have them switched in necessarily. They might be clipping themselves. They are on the digital side of things too.

Where I teach sound engineering at TAFE we have a Trace Elliot bass head with a DI on the front too and it sends some serious level into our console. Like well over +4 dbu for example. We have to pad it down heaps just to stop any overload.

But the main thing I would do first is take the VS700R out of the equation and make absolutely sure the signal is totally clean from the bass head. Try switching the EQ IN and OUT too as that might be causing siome grief. I suspect the signal is clean leaving your bass head.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Norrie
    Re:Could someone please confirm this is safe for me to do please ? 2010/09/25 19:36:53 (permalink)
    Hi there Jeff

I had he bass head through the evolution pro line system bass speeker I have for it and no crackle.....

I have it in to the mic pre no 7 on the Vs700 with the pad turned off and fader right to the bottom useing the gain on the EBS to send the signal to the Vs700 its hiting no more than -12 on the meeter and not cliping on the EBS light that it has.

The sound is awesome I have to say apart from this dam crackle the crackle is not there all the time just every so often you can hear it ;(

I dont think the compressors on the VS70R are switched on I didnt touch them.

I also tryed changeing the eq in and out but it causes some fuzz and the crackle stil comes and goes.

I am haveing exactly the same problem with my AER COMPACT 60 its doing the same sent in with XLR from the di out in to VS700 input 6 XLR sounds awesome apart from the odd crackle here and there aswell ;( I checked it just useing the amp aswell an no crackle just getin the crackle when sent to the pre amp on the Vs 700

I dont have to put any pad on eather of theys basicaly just use the gain on each to control the amount of signal to send.

Its so anoying as it sounds so good I could record great with it if it wasnt for the crackle that happens now and then.

Would it make a difference if I changed from xlr - xlr to mono to mono patch cales instead ?

I am out of ideas ;(

I will be willing to try anything.

You knwo how new to all this I am jeff so thanks so much for your help

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Could someone please confirm this is safe for me to do please ? 2010/09/25 19:41:30 (permalink)
    Having the Pad OUT and the fader down low is NOT the same as having the PAD IN and having the fader up higher. Please try switching the PAD IN. You will loose 20 db of gain but bring the fader up to make up for it.

The PAD is before the very first stage of pre amp.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Norrie
    Re:Could someone please confirm this is safe for me to do please ? 2010/09/25 20:09:58 (permalink)
    So the pad will then be turned yellow ? so its - 20 then bring the fader up and also the gain on the amp till I get a good level around -12 again as thats what I normaly aim for about -12 to - 6 to leave room for mixing mastering etc :)

Do you think by doing that it will stop the crackle I am geting every so often ?

I know if I dont have the pad in so its not on -20 and I touch the fader at all it makes a hell of a noise haha

The only way I can describe the crackleing nice is you know that sound when some one has a dondgy cable conected to there guitar or bass and if they touch it it makes a sort of click type crackle ? It sounds like that. Ive tryed 3 different guitar cables that are all very new so I know its not that.

So you think that the turning on the -12 pad and raseing the fader and the gain to sort a level again will stop the click type crackle ?

Its one oclock in the morning here in scotland so I wont be able to try it right now but I will get up nice adn early and try it straight away with my morning coffee :)

If that for some reason dosent stop the noises what else would you recomend? just because I know with the time difference between your self and me you will most likely be away to bed when I am geting up I have a friend who moved to melbourne and thats normaly what hes doing just as I am geting up in the morning.

Thanks so much for your help on this.

I have a couple of friends that are going to be comeing to my house to record tomorow lunch time so I was hopeing to have it all ready for them arriveing. I can pray I get it working and with your help I know I can :D

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:Could someone please confirm this is safe for me to do please ? 2010/09/27 09:50:56 (permalink)
    Hi Norrie,  I jumped over from the other thread.

Looking at the manual for the HD350, on page 14 there is a block diagram of the amp signal path and it shows where the XLR output is wired in.

So using this info, here is how to setup your sytem...

1. Connect with XLR-XLR as I said befor, make sure phantom power is OFF.
    2. Turn master volume on HD350 right down (off) this will mute the speaker output.
    3. The buttons next to the XLR output, select Post-EQ IN and Gnd Lift OUT
    4. On VS-700 channel, select Pad IN, set Gain to approx mid position, set chan fader to 0 (somewhere near the top)

Connect your bass. Start hitting the strings.

5. Adjust Input gain on HD-350 so that peak light just starts to flash, then back off a little.
    6. adjust the input gain on VS-700 to give -12 to -6 peak level.
    7. Stop playing, listen for noises like humming, buzz, radio pickup, hissing, etc.  If you're getting these, press the GND LIFT button on the HD-350.  The noises should stop.  If you're NOT getting noises, LEAVE THE GND CONNECTED.

That concludes the connection.  If you adjust the controls on the HD-350 to change the sound, maybe using the built in compressor or EQ, then use the GAIN on the VS-700 to adjust the level.

Your other amp should connect in exactly the same way.

The important thing to note for the HD-350 (and infact most amps) is that the "Line out" on the back and the XLR on the front are NOT the same. The XLR is intended for exactly what you're trying to do. The Line Out however is connected AFTER the main volume control and is intended as a feed to further power amps, (or other equipment where the level is required to follow your master volume control).

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Could someone please confirm this is safe for me to do please ? 2010/09/27 10:39:04 (permalink)
    Delete post. Offended OP.  another case of Thou salt not suggest RTFM. bad advice.
    I hope you got everything working. Did you get rid of the crackle?

post edited by johnnyV - 2010/09/27 17:55:15

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1