Sonar - Ipad

Author
Moonmusic
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2010/11/17 02:33:49 (permalink)

Sonar - Ipad

So is there any chance of a stripped down model for Ipad in the future?...Who knows but that's exactly what I'd like to see....I think over the next year there is going to be an amazing amount of apps as there is already alot coming out....Give me 8 channels of mono/stereo audio, a cool transport with big buttons with a quick locate button, 5 fxs per channel, pan,eq and the Roland vocal thing (to put me exactly on key :)  with wav mixdown and I'm good....After messing with other music apps that have come out, it really brings "hands on" back that I miss so much....The ability to touch the eq on a channel and have it instantly pop up in a bigger window for editing and then moving on to editing an insert which automatically closes the eq and pops up an effect to edit is fast and very intuitive....Touch a transport button to bring up big buttons that are big like the old alesis BRC....I really hope Cakewalk has something like this to show at NAMM because even though the Ipad is definitely limited in processing power, it more than makes up for it with the user touch interface....Being able to export the wav audio out/into other apps takes some of the processing limitations away....I haven't quite figured out how the wifi midi/audio is supposed to work yet but I'd LOVE to have the ability to hook up a vstudio-20 or the SD-50 thing... I just wanted to put this out there cause I'm ready to record on the Ipad and want something that will make it easy to record like a piece of "cake" :) .....Moon

7 Replies Related Threads

RogerS
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:Sonar - Ipad 2010/11/17 14:36:44 (permalink)
    I see that your very first post has been languishing here for 11 hours, so I feel compelled to respond.

There are many threads here about whether Sonar will ever run on a Mac (you can do a search). But FWIW, if some version of Sonar was available on an iPad, I would purchase my very first Apple product ever. Having said that, it's not going to happen any time soon.

If Cakewalk were to commit to OSX, it would IMO take years of development to get it to be as stable as Sonar on the PC. I would see this period as a transition time for Cakewalk with the recent acquisition by Roland, and I doubt they would be preparing a Mac version.

But it sure would be interesting if I were dead wrong.

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    Moonmusic
    Re:Sonar - Ipad 2010/11/18 14:20:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for the insight RogerS......I've been using Sonar since before it was even called Sonor and have the 8.5 studio version now so I'm pretty familiar with it.....I guess if they don't jump on the ipad bandwagon I'll just have to learn something new....I'm pretty adimit about going that route for recording because of the small portable excellent user interface...They already have a 24 track audio recorder ap out for it but I was hoping for added fx, maybe even a real time midi sequencer....Many of these types of aps seem to be popping up everyday, just not too many from "Big names" yet....I was just hoping for a cakewalk version....I'd love to see a vs-20 type of midi/audio wifi box....That would be the ultimate way to me to get hardware synths,guitars,vocals,etc recorded into the ipad....As stated in my earlier post I'm sure these things will be coming out over the next year...It's just going to be a question of who?...Akai,Korg,IK Multimedia are just a few that has started the ball rolling already with a few apps....I'll just have to support whoever is going to support this platform I guess.....Ted
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:Sonar - Ipad 2010/11/18 14:36:41 (permalink)
    the ipad is absurdly underpowered you would not acomplish much even if sonar did run on it..
    its even slower than a netbook and those are a sad joke for trying to run sonar.

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    Rabid
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:Sonar - Ipad 2010/11/22 14:38:06 (permalink)
    There are a few music apps that I enjoy on iPad, (RealBook anyone?) but there is no good way to move work from the iPad to a desktop. Until they make an iPad with at least a SD memory slot I cannot see being very productive.

That said, I would love to see Project5 for iPad. The closest thing right now is Acid on a tablet PC.
    RogerS
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:Sonar - Ipad 2010/11/22 15:10:51 (permalink)
    Rabid - Good point, it would seem weird to have to e-mail your iPad projects to yourself (regardless of the software).

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    racyhall11
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Sonar - Ipad 2010/11/30 00:40:07 (permalink)
    Sonar Ipad Instantly measure distances with high frequency sonic pulses, Color coded echo location display, Simple easy to use interface, US and Metric units configurable. Sonar Ipad is look very nice as its good features.
    Moonmusic
    Re:Sonar - Ipad 2010/12/01 20:34:46 (permalink)
    I've been playing around with a few Ipad apps over the last week or so.....I'm really diggin an ap called NanoStudio....I was able to send wav files via wifi from my laptop to it to use in a drum machine.....It's pretty awesome editing the parts by simply touching the screen....They are coming up with ways to mix to wav and copy and paste into other aps.....There's another ap that plays back soundfonts that looks cool but I haven't tried it yet...I definitely wouldn't write off the Ipad because of not having much processing power....I think you'll be surprised how many things come out for it over the next year....I'm definitely buying a quality midi/audio box when one becomes available...I'm not impressed with what's on the market at this point for interfaces....I can see it being used as a sampler and an 8 track DAW pretty easily....moon
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1