Anyone Using Sonar X1 on an SSD (Solid State Drive)?

Author
A1MixMan
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1706
2011/01/29 19:25:38 (permalink)

Anyone Using Sonar X1 on an SSD (Solid State Drive)?

Just curious who's using what and how you rate them. Any problems or things to look for when buying? Setup tips with X1 and 2 drives.

Thanks,

A1

16 Replies Related Threads

Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    Re:Anyone Using Sonar X1 on an SSD (Solid State Drive)? 2011/01/29 20:16:24 (permalink)
    I'm using an SSD for system. The speed of boot and load is awesome. All I did for maintenance was allow O&O defrag to run an SSD trim every two days to keep it optimised. 

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

djtrailmixxx
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re:Anyone Using Sonar X1 on an SSD (Solid State Drive)? 2011/01/30 10:25:22 (permalink)
    I use a 128GB SSD for system, apps and plugins with sample libraries. Only only have a few plugs that load samples, like Dimension,  Drumagog and Impulse based verbs. Loading samples from SSD is where its at, it cuts project load times considerably.

Sonar Platinum X64 - Win 10 x64 - Intel SB-E 3930 - Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 - 16GB DDR3 - AMD R290X - 4x 1TB SSD RAID 0 (Sys and Data partitions) - 2x UAD2 Quad - 1x UAD2 Octo - UAD Apollo Dual
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Anyone Using Sonar X1 on an SSD (Solid State Drive)? 2011/01/30 10:40:43 (permalink)
    It depends on what you are doing. Boot speed really doesn't impact most people significantly. My boxes boot in 30 odd seconds with HDD and I can load full Abbey Road 70s in under a minute. You don't really want to record to SSD. To me it just isn't worth the size and cost issues that presently exist.
    trimph1
    Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6348
    Re:Anyone Using Sonar X1 on an SSD (Solid State Drive)? 2011/01/30 11:00:19 (permalink)
    I really wouldn't go SSD for now. I do a lot of video processing and it can be a bit expensive when it comes to storage.

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Anyone Using Sonar X1 on an SSD (Solid State Drive)? 2011/01/30 11:04:35 (permalink)
    This has been asked a few times lately, tried to find a link so you could read the responses but I can't find the thread.

The short, SSD's are way overpriced, they don't last as long as HDD's, every time any kind of write is done to them they degrade just a little bit more and slow down just a little bit more.

Right now, I wouldn't buy one. I'm going to wait until the technology is more stable and the cost comes down.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Anyone Using Sonar X1 on an SSD (Solid State Drive)? 2011/01/30 11:05:46 (permalink)
    Bub

This has been asked a few times lately, tried to find a link so you could read the responses but I can't find the thread.

The short, SSD's are way overpriced, they don't last as long as HDD's, every time any kind of write is done to them they degrade just a little bit more and slow down just a little bit more.

Right now, I wouldn't buy one. I'm going to wait until the technology is more stable and the cost comes down.

Actually SSD have about the same real life as HDD which is about 5 years. Still more bad than good ATM, IMHO.
    A1MixMan
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re:Anyone Using Sonar X1 on an SSD (Solid State Drive)? 2011/01/30 18:10:41 (permalink)
    You don't really want to record to SSD.

Why is this? What are the drawbacks?

A1
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:Anyone Using Sonar X1 on an SSD (Solid State Drive)? 2011/01/30 19:36:54 (permalink)
    It's more that there are no real advantages. A good HDD is planety fast eough for streaming lots of tracks.

I've got an SSD for a C drive, with Windows and Sonar and other apps on it. That is worthwhile in my view. It's a night and day difference in terms of snappy workflow for me. Takes me about 20 seconds to boot up, and to a fuly responsive desktop, not that crappy Windows thing where it looks like it's booted but hasn't really, and needs to churn away for a while longer.

It's all about subtle things, really. Like if I export a project from Sonar and want to take it into sound forge to tweak the stereo mixdown, Sound Forge boots up in a couple of seconds. Stuff like that. It just generally makes your computer a more agreeable workspace.

Not all SSD's are created equal, mind you, and some of them are really quite lame. You need to do your homework on read and write speeds. The Intel ones are very good, but there are lots of them that don't compete well with the better HDDs.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    Re:Anyone Using Sonar X1 on an SSD (Solid State Drive)? 2011/01/30 20:19:22 (permalink)
    I'd like to put my samples on one, but only when 1TB gets down to around $300. 
    Until then I'm using a RAID 1 array for samples (two striped drives), and a RAID 10 array for production data. Editing HD you really need the throughput and immense storage.

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

mindbuzz
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Anyone Using Sonar X1 on an SSD (Solid State Drive)? 2011/01/31 00:57:46 (permalink)
    The Kingston 128 SSD hard drive I'm using as my primary operating system drive is very snappy.  I think the Kingston technology is the only SDD right now worth getting since they have the best overwriting, as far as I know.  The boot speed and read speeds are remarkably fast.  BUT... (and this isn't a problem with the SSD, it's with recording to an external) if I set a project location and audio path for a new project to an alternate, external HDD and record to an external -- my usb 2.0 external 1TB drive, for example -- it often drops into an idle mode while I'm working on edits, and then when I press record it takes a second or two for the external drive to "wake up" before the metronome counts in and begins recording.  It can be a little frustrating sometimes, recording to an external, especially if the count-in from the metronome isn't enabled.  I've started playing before the drive begins recording on a number of occasions.  Recording directly to the primary SSD drive works fine most of the time (Sonar 8.5 was crashing on me while using Audio Snap and doing something-or-other, but that was a Cakewalk program glitch, I think.  X1 seems to have fixed it.).  

The SSD space concern is legit in my case, at 128GB.  I currently have only 72GB remaining, according to the My Computer directory display, and I have virtually nothing on my PC other than basic programs and audio editors; most of my additional recording samples and loops are stored externally.  I don't know if the currently available 72GB free space is factoring in reserved space needed for temporary reading and writing or not.  Also, if I were working with video, had lots of photo art and video editing programs, etc., and needed to store and reserve a lot more primary drive space for programs and whatever other stuff, 128G would probably not be enough.

One huge reason I do like the SSD technology is that it's quiet.  My computer tower exists in the same room as the controlled vocal space, and due to the solid state of the drive it runs virtually undetectable by the ear.  My CPU cooling fan isn't a very loud one and has a quiet mode.  By eliminating that little extra, ambient noise I've noticeably increased the recording fidelity on my home setup in my opinion.

So there definitely are pro's and con's for the price right now.  When the SSD devices with more storage space improve and get more affordable, it might be a no brainer.  If I had a 500GB or 1TB Kingston SDD as a primary drive, I imagine that would work quite well.
    post edited by mindbuzz - 2011/01/31 01:01:29

Sonar X1b P.E.
    Windows 7 64-bit O/S 
    4G's ram
    Kingston 128G SSD HDD
    (3 external hard drives) 
    Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
    RME Hammerfall 9652 (32 channel ADAT lightpipe)
    Yamaha 01V96
    gtgarner
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 895
    Re:Anyone Using Sonar X1 on an SSD (Solid State Drive)? 2011/01/31 01:22:15 (permalink)
    I've had my SSD's for 2 years now. (2 x 64GB)128GB - raid0.  Never had a problem with them.  I use them in my laptop.  My power supply for my laptop used to be like an oven when using Sonar, but now its definitely and noticibly cooler since it does not have to spin up drives.  The only thing I have to say is that my first set of SSD's were garbage.  I purhaced the cheapest SSD's I could find and (pun intended) I paid the price. They hung up / crashed / and belched during every Sonar session. ( I used to think it was an issue with SONAR) because it rarely happened using any other application. I changed to a name brand SSD (kingston) and never had an issue.  Now my laptop fan does not run like it used to.

BTW, I now have 16GB RAM installed in my Dell m6400 Covet laptop.

Although I really could care less about boot speed - I had a significant reduction in boot time. 
    post edited by gtgarner - 2011/01/31 01:23:50
    Crush
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 138
    Re:Anyone Using Sonar X1 on an SSD (Solid State Drive)? 2011/01/31 02:32:38 (permalink)

I also hear they make this 'high pitch' beep tone when the drive is accessing itself. It's audible and annoying unlike the sound of a HDD that you can tune out. That's just what I heard though...
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:Anyone Using Sonar X1 on an SSD (Solid State Drive)? 2011/01/31 09:00:30 (permalink)
    Mine's completely silent. I can't imagine why anyone would make an SSD that beeped.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    hockeyjx
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 839
    Re:Anyone Using Sonar X1 on an SSD (Solid State Drive)? 2011/01/31 09:11:06 (permalink)
    I've never noticed any noise at all with the 2 ssds I own

While the prices are still high, there are plenty advantages to SSD's IMO.

1)Fits in a small space
    2)No moving parts 
    3)No Noise
    4)low heat and more efficient power usage
    4)Faster bootup and access on Windows.

The cost is the main deterrent for people.  Also, concerns about TRIM control(valid) and durability(not as valid) seem to prevent people from making the switch.

For your OS drive, it does make a difference, IMO. For the Samples or Projects drive, not as much.

Intel i7 950 Proc, Asus Sabertooth x58 MB, 2 Crucial 128GB SSDs and Seagate 1TBGB drive, 12GB Corsair 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 Memory, Nvidia GeForece 8400 Dual Monitor vid card
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w Power Supply, Cooler Master Sileo 500

Win 7 64 bit, SPlat 64-bit, Komplete 10 Ultimate, AmpliTube3 and AD2

Tascam FW-1884 and AKAI MPK-49
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:Anyone Using Sonar X1 on an SSD (Solid State Drive)? 2011/01/31 14:51:26 (permalink)
    I've been using SSDs for a couple of years now. I've used them in single drive laptops and on deskops as both the C drive and audio/ samples drive. In fact, I'm runing a 256gig Crucial SSD as my C drive right now.

Not only are they extremely fast but they are dead silent. I have never heard a single noise from any of the SSDs I have used, and I've used several brands and sizes.

Bootup is much faster with an SSD. System response, opening apps, etc., is snappy to the point of instantanious. And loading projects is very quick.

And they are also extremely lightweight and produce very little heat, which makes them perfect for laptops.

If I could have SSDs as all my drives right now I would, but that doesn't mean spinning platter or hybrind drives won't do the job. They'll just do it a little hotter, louder, and slower. ;-)
    soundtweaker
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1036
    Re:Anyone Using Sonar X1 on an SSD (Solid State Drive)? 2011/01/31 17:26:10 (permalink)
    Same performance as Seth mentioned. I have the Intel X-25M and I would never go back to a normal HD for my boot drive.
    Windows 7 also has built in TRIM support for SSD drives also, so no manual defrag is necessary.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1