Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite?

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
Ozz
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 332
2011/10/23 14:38:24 (permalink)

Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite?

I had thought it was supposed to be out by now.  You can pre-purchase on their site, but I didn't see any kind of hint as to a relase date.

Sonar Platinum, Win 10 Pro 64, Intel i7 4770K, 16GB DDR3 1600, 1 x 250GB SSD, 2 x 2TB SATA, Roland OctaCapture, Roland XP-30 (Controller only), Shure KSM-44, Rode NT-1, Shure SM57, Numerous Guitar Amp sims, Komplete 6/7, Alchemy, Custom built guitar, Carvin Amplifiers.

138 Replies Related Threads

fawlty
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 54
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/23 15:25:33 (permalink)
    ... no idea, I keep checking their site once in a while, but nothing yet. Have you tried the Scuffham demo in the meantime? Really cool for clasic rock / blues stuff.

[fawlty]

DAW: sonar x1c, 64-bit 
    PC: i5-760, 2.8 ghz, 8gb ram
    AUDIO: cwalk ua-1g  
    Ozz
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/23 17:56:34 (permalink)
    Yes, I own Scuffham...I'm actually quite fond of it.  Along with a couple of others (Amp3 full and Guitar Rig 4, etc) I also own the previous ACME release... That one isn't bad, considering it's a freebie.  I'll be curious to see/hear the new release.  And for $26 I'll buy it just to try it out.

Sonar Platinum, Win 10 Pro 64, Intel i7 4770K, 16GB DDR3 1600, 1 x 250GB SSD, 2 x 2TB SATA, Roland OctaCapture, Roland XP-30 (Controller only), Shure KSM-44, Rode NT-1, Shure SM57, Numerous Guitar Amp sims, Komplete 6/7, Alchemy, Custom built guitar, Carvin Amplifiers.
    fawlty
    • Total Posts : 54
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/24 06:00:44 (permalink)
    Yep, the Scuffham's very cool... I've just heard that it's going 64-bit with some improvements in a few weeks!

I may try the AcmeBarGig once it's released, as you say $26 is a bit of a bargain.

[fawlty]

DAW: sonar x1c, 64-bit 
    PC: i5-760, 2.8 ghz, 8gb ram
    AUDIO: cwalk ua-1g  
    KenMcLaren
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/26 18:33:03 (permalink)

Where we're at with Head Case..

Hi Guys, I was told that you were looking for some information about the Head Case release, so I'd be glad to bring you up to date on what is and has been happening..
    Head Case is well on it way, but before we go into head case specifics, I'd like to mention all the components of it individually..

The Head Case Cabinet section..

Head Case called for three native cabinet interfaces, they are as follows...

iFace 1.6

iFace is a cabinet plugin that natively supports the Redwirez Cabinet library in a more natural way than your average "standard" Cabinet plugin. You simply point iFace to where Redwirez is installed, and then you load (preview) different cabinet IR files by moving mic positions on the interface. All distances, 0"-1' for most cabs, some are 0" to 3' depending on what cabinet library you have loaded. It also supports placements like cap, cap edge, cone, cone edge and it has the ability to load other IR files not just redwirez. It also has native "menu" support for Recabinet as well.
    iFace(part of the head case development) has been released and is in current version 1.6..
    Here is the 30 day trial for anyone who wants it. We adopted the reaper business model for iFace, so even though the 30 days may elapse, it does not stop running. We think thats a good model for a lot of applications because things happen. You know you download something and mean to get to checking it out, but all of a sudden the demo stops working...Well this one doesn't. Here's the link to get the trial.
    http://www.acmebargig.com/product/iface-trial/
    Disclaimer, (out of respect for our friends at redwirez and Recabinet) Redwirez, and the redwirez logo are used with permission from the Red 5 group, AcmeBarGig is not affiliated with Redwirez or the red 5 group in any way, other than we think they kick ass! :)
    Recabinet is wholly owned by Kazrog and is not affiliated with AcmeBarGig in any way. But you do owe me a beer when I get to California Shane..:)  Nevermind I'll buy!
    Redwirez, nor Recabinet provide support for iFace, Support for iFace is only available from AcmeBarGig
    MIMIC

MIMIC is closer to a standard cabinet interface in that it's focus is NOT basd on loading prebuilt libraries, instead its designed for any IR file....Downloaded off the web, Part of another library, etc. if you got a cab IR MIMIC wants it. The difference with MIMIC however, is that we attempt to "MIMIC" what the loaded IR would sound like at different mic distances, and different placements, like Cap, Cap edge, cone, cone edge, and all points in between. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but what I have personally found with MIMIC is that IR files I would never use before, a lot of times become useable just by moving the mic a little. If you are like me, then you probably have 15 gazillion IR files, but only ever use a few. They are so small in size though, I just can't bring myself to delete them. We initially were going to drop the MIMIC feature out of this because we could not get to the level of accuracy I wanted for each mic placement on every IR, but because it actually made IR's that I would never use before, useable, we decided to keep the feature. MIMIC is in its final set of beta and is due for release within the next week or so.. In the mean time if you want to try it, This is an old beta.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/Releases/MIMIC%20POST/MimicCabsCommercialSetup.rar

Filter Cabs

The first two head case cabinet solutions are convolution based, Filter Cabs are not, they are filters. Filter cabs are in their final Alpha stage of development. I'm really not convinced we have the enclosure portion of them right. Some people, actually a lot of people swear by them, but I think we can do a little better on them. So the very next version of these to come out to the head case prepurchase group have all new filters for the enclosures. The problem I have with them, the enclosures that is, not the speakers is that they seem to have some sort of a strong Q type sound on heavily distorted guitar. Now as I say, some people don't hear that, but I still want to change it. Actually thats already done, they are just waiting for the rest of head case to catch up fr the next release. If you want to try the older ones, these are the ones I think have a Q issue, here is an older beta(alpha actually).
    Install this(make note of the folder its installed to)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/Releases/FilterCabs12%20commercialSetup.rar
    then copy these DLL files to the folder..
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/Releases/FilterCabinets%201.2%20Commercial%20Prests%20Fix.rar
    All the cabinets also have the ability to save a new IR based on your selections and eq, they all have ambient mic/room facilities, and iFace has the ability to run in serial of parallel.

OK So thats the cabinet section of head case...Now on to the stomps, but I'll have to do that in another post...
    post edited by KenMcLaren - 2011/10/26 18:47:11
    KenMcLaren
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/26 19:13:41 (permalink)
    The stomps section of Head Case

Head case comes with a Flanger, Chorus, Delay, Two overdrive pedals, and a compressor. None of these pedals were built to be exact matches of their hardware counter parts, but similar.
    The Chorus is like an old CE2, the Flanger is like a BF2. The overdrive pedals are completely customizable, so you can make them into what you want..The compressor was furnished to us from Antress, The Delay, yep you guessed it, a DM2..:)

Here is an image of the stomps in the head case builder software that allows you to customize ALL elements of the head, and the overdrive stomps. Of all the stuff that we have spent time on, the stomps have had the least amount of work. However, thats not to say there isn't a customization tool availabe for ALL the stomps, not just the overdrives. There is such a tool and its called Stomp tweaker. It has never been rleased and is in pre-alpha. Unfortunately, though, that will come out after head case's initial release. Frankly we just can't get to finishing it before then..

I should also point out that the above image is old and does not show all the parameters now available for customization on the stomps. You can select what we call curves (others call them tubes or similar names). In head case they are called curves.
    So there's the stomps..

KenMcLaren
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/26 19:55:45 (permalink)
    The Head Design software
    The goal for head case was to allow as much access to the inner workings of the head as we could possibly allow for. The challenge was to do that in a way that the user could easily understand, and was positive results oriented. Positive results mean that we don't want to allow enough variance that you can go completely off the grid and produce nothing but white noise, we wanted it to be as much about your exploration of tone as it is about the process to do it. In other words, we want you to succeed at almost any setting change. If for whatever reason you want to push it to its limits, then absolutely you can make some bad sounding heads, but if you stay within resonable limits, you should almost always have a useable sound for something, be it classic rock, or full blown metal. An example of what we mean when we say reasonable limits would be for example setting the cut off frequency into the head to a low pass of 80 hz...That would cause a head to sound like a big muff. Now as I say though, even that sound could be useable fo something. The fact is the only person who can judge what reasonable limits are is you. Head Case head design is about the exploration and trying things, its not about stringent guidlines and limitations. When designing a head, you should go about it the same way you mix a track. Turn this up, lower the cutoff, turn up the gain, etc..just explore..But take snapshots as you go because once you've made a change, the odds of you getting back tothat exact same sound again are really slim.

I want to point out at this time that the images I am placing here are old and do not represent the full options available in head case. However, they will serve as simple illustrations to point out sections of the head and what they look like.
    Precuts
    Think of the input frequency cuts in head case as stages. The first set of cuts takes a little off, the next set of cuts takes a little more. The precuts can be are the first round of cuts into a head, if you are not using an overdrive stomp, if you are then the precuts are the second round of cuts. Cuts are extremely important, especially in a high gain amp because they prepare the signal before the distortion, and we have come up with a simpe rule of thumb to remember. Low frequencies into distortion = big muff.

The filter options
    The precuts section and all other cuts sections inside the head as well as the tonestack comes with two options for filters. First is the native filter interface that is shown below. Internal filters present you with five options. Low Pass, High Pass, Mids, Bypass, and LP+HP+MIDS.

You may think that if we're calling these internal filters, it implies there is external filters too. You'd be right in thinking that. I won't go into any detail here, but in the next post I will talk about external filters. We'll talk about BUC (head case preprocessor) and the Head Case Scripting facility. Head case supports external scripting that will allow you to code your own filter by calculating coefficients used in a BIQUAD filter design. Here is the screen you use to defne what scripted filter is to be used.

gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/26 20:08:13 (permalink)
    I'm glad that was brief!

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/26 21:43:57 (permalink)
    LOL!!
    But, it's this type of interaction (not to mention quality product) that draws me to thier products.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    KenMcLaren
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/27 02:25:15 (permalink)
    No, haha Sorry gustabo, I have a lot more to post on it. I had to take a break and get some sleep..:)
    (I case you can't tell, I'm using this posting as a start to the manual!)
    post edited by KenMcLaren - 2011/10/27 09:48:55
    KenMcLaren
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/27 04:38:57 (permalink)
    The OPTIONAL head Case scripting interface and BUC preprocessor
    Most users will never write a script, but it was important to us, as the first generation plugin of this type (as far as we know), that we set it in the right direction, and we think that options reign supreme for this. Having said that most users will never write a script, that doesn't mean they won't use them if they are already there. There will be a boat load of templates available for filters and curves, and many other functions. Users can easily load one of them and play around with some of the values to arrive at a sound. This also lends itself to anyone that wants to know more about audio programming, and I guess programming in general.
    Careful.. Where we have taken our time to make sure that useable sounds are relatively easy to get to in the internal interface, there is no such protections where it comes to scripting. The world is at yor fingertip so to speak...

We looked very closely at other companies that have added scripting to their products and gleaned a lot from their success and or faliures. We learned first and foremost that in no uncertain terms scripting had to be easy! No one wants to sit and read 17 pages to find out how to print "Hello World" on the screen. We learned that documentation and the learning curve directly represent how popular the scripting is, and how much it gets used. Most importantly, we learned from other companies outside of the music industry that wherever possible, scripting should conform to some form of world standard language. In other words something known by the masses.

Windows Scripting Host
    It didn't take long for us to arrive at the conclusion we should create an interface for the Windows Scripting host. Just by doing that it addresses practically all of the pitfals others have fell into.

1) Its a standard set of languages, as such there is a wealth of support for them already. Plus thorough BUC integrations you can extend the scripting interface to support virtually all languages. Choose your poison... 
    2) We didn't have to write it!
    3)Saves us from documenting a new language. (which was out of scope for this development anyways).

BUC
    However, Windows Scripting Host is NOT head case specific, so for that we created BUC. BUC started out as a way for us to access a database on a 64 bit machine from 32 bit code. Amit Talwar was the initial creator of BUC and he sent the source to me. So I really have no idea what BUC stands for, but given some of my prior names its probably good that Amit Named this one. We turned BUC into a full blown preprocessor for your scripts. In this way we could add Head Case specific commands and extend the functionality of all scripting languages that BUC uses.

Language support
    Since BUC is a preprocessor, (it processes the scripts before they get sent to the scripting engine) we can make a determination what scripting engine BUC sends the script too. So you are NOT limited to just what Windows Scripting Host supports. As long as the scripting engine you choose will take a command line argument, BUC can send the script to it. Such is the case with the C++ scripting thats available with Head Case. We have found an open source scripting host for C++ called CINT. CINT takes command line parameters and runs the script. So, all you need to do to use C++ in Head Case is have CINT installed and tell BUC where it is..

BUC Preproc Commands
    In keeping with the idea that scripting has to be easy, and the Head Case specific commands have to be easily understood and available we came up wit the idea of using parameter names as the command name.
    For example, to return the gains setting for the current head you simply put this in your code.

@GT6-DirtGain

Buc will first process this and retrieve the gain setting for the current head, or the last head that was used. So in VBScript for example you could do something like this..

x = @GT6-DirtGain + 100

When the script is run, it will add 100 to the Gain..

Similarily, to set the value for the gain, you could use the same command without the at symbol.
    So,

GT6-DirtGain = @GT6-DirtGain + 100

would do the same thing.

There are other specialized BUC functions for returning folders, and paths, displaying dialogs, retrieving user input, taking snap shots of the head, etc. Its a pretty simple concept in that all you have to do is name the actual parameter you want to work with. In terms of running a script you have created, all you need to do is select it from the user scripts drop down menu. There are other event drive scripts that run as well that you can also customize, like on head save. After the head has been saved you can specify a script to be ran after that as well. For example you may want to make a backup of your head as well at that time, you can simply specify the @MakeBackup command in a script and BUC will put a copy of your file into the snapshots directoy under a folder that takes on the name of the head. Every time you save, you'll have a historical snapshot of the head in the state it was in when you saved it because it will save it numbered. 1, 2, 3, etc...
    This is all still not hitting that easy to use, straight forward ideology we are trying to get to though, and we determined the only way to do that is to write a script editor specific to Head case. Something that will allow you to perform BUC specific commands, as well as ease  the learning curve. Allow you to preview your script as well as have all the commands listed at your fingertips.

The Head Case Script editor

The head case script editor was designed to include Head Case/BUC specific commands and operations yet not be proprietary software. If you wanted to you could use it for other scripts that are not for Head Case and in future we plan on extending the BUC portion of it to allow you to define your own preprocessor commands.

It's main editor functions are organized into three areas
    Code Inserts
    Code inserts are little bits of code that you can simply insert into your script and they are further categorized into four more areas, two of which ARE head case specific. Starting at the left, Objects, Functions, Curves, and Filters. Objects are things like the File System object, ADO database connectivity, etc. Functions are things like IsFileThere(Filespec) which checks to see of a file is present, Curves are code that is used to create curves for the gain section, poweramp, and overdrive stomps. As I said in an earlier post, other call them tubes, we have stopped that practice.. Filters, and for holding scripts for creating filter coefficients.

Preview Tools
    Starting again from the left, Code Inserts, Curves, and Immediate (this may be removed). These buttons bring up various preview windows. Code Inserts preview allows you to see the code selected in the Code Inserts list before you add it to the main script window. If your script is being used to create a curvem then the Curves preview will draw a graphical representation of what the S curve will look like. Finally, the Immediate preview. This will allow you to enter code to execute immediately, however, since we are relying on a control developed by MS for this, we may remove it. That control will only support what the Windows Scripting Host will support. Since BUC does not rely on just the WSH you can use script interpreters that are not used by the WSH, which would mean that with theimmediate pane you may be limited to only J-Script and VBScript for the Immediate Preview. We're not sure what way to go with this yet...

Head Sections
    This is a head case specific area that is categorized by head functions and BUC specific commands. Precuts, Gain section, Tonestack, Poweramp, Paths, and Misc. Precuts contains the parameter commands for al the sections of the head that have to do with the precuts section. Likewise, the Gain, Tonestack and Poweramp all contain commands for their respective sections as well. Paths contain commands for returning paths used by head case, and Misc contains various commands that don't fall into any of the other categories. For example @Samplerate, which returns the current samplerate that theDAW is running at. (Default if no daw or head case is running is 44100).

Now before we go any further, I want to point out that all this scripting is completely optional, you do not need to script whatsoever to use head case, but should you want to go further under the hood, its there. Head Case builder already comes with quite a robust set of controls that takes the place of scripting, so just remember this is COMPLETELY optional.

Language support
    Along the top of the editor window you'll see various languages that are displayed, these can be removed edited, added to, etc. If the languageyou use is not present then you all you need to do is add it. As was said earlier, Head Case will support any language you want provided a couple of guidelines are met. 1) The Language is supported by Active Scripting technology, or, the interpreter for that language is capable of taking a command line parameter that points to a script. I have never seen an interpreter that didn't, so its probably safe to say that as long as you can program in your language of choice, you can make scripts for Head Case.

Running, Saving, Encrypting, previewing, and FrankenAMP II
    Along the bottom starting from the left the first button you see is password protect.

Encrypting

Head Case was designed so that you can easily distribute the heads you make, but the scripts that you make have to go along with it. You may not want to share your code with the world, so in order to facilitate this we built TWO FISH encryption into BUC. So you can encrypt your script and it will become unreadable by text editors and the Head Case Script editor. Head Case itself will still have the ability to read it as will AcmeBarGig.

Save, Open, and New
    Save Script, Open Script, New Script, needs no further explanation...

Script Editor and BUC preview
    The script editor button puts the editor in edit mode, whereas BUC preview will display the values associated with any buc commands you have used..

FrankenAMP II
    Some of you may remember the first version of FrankenAMP that came out with Shred 1.06. We have greatly improved its capabilities with version 2 that comes out with Head Case. For those of you that don't know what ABG FrankenAMP is, Its a hot swapping technology that allows you to take components from existing heads and place them into the current head. So take the gain section from head A and place it in Head B. Without a doubt this was a very popular feature and given the nature of head case it was a natural fit. Its extremely simple to use. If you want the bass section from a particular tonestack from a head, right click the bass knob and select the head you want the bass section from. Thats it! However, we wanted to extend this functionality to not only specific knobs, but also allow you to decide for your self what components get swapped. The Franken AMP button puts the editor into FrankenAMP mode. Basicaly version 2 of FrankenAMP runs like a batch file where the commands listed in its file are simply parameter names to be swapped. This means that ytou can create a FrankenAMP II batch for any of the parameters in the head file.

Run "Script editor name"
    This command runs the script and also informs you of what language you are usng.

Next post we will delve into head case builder itself, now comes the fun stuff...:)
    and Thanks for reading..
    KM
    post edited by KenMcLaren - 2011/10/27 09:51:28
    KenMcLaren
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/27 10:37:40 (permalink)
    Head Case Software Overview
    Head Case is comprised of a number of applications. In this post we'll identify what they are and their uses.

As we've seen from previous posts, head case employs external software in order to achieve its goals. In the past post we spoke about the scripting technologies that allow for flexible head customizations, now we'll speak about the compiled executables and DLL files that make up head case.

Curve Designer.
    Scripting is not the only way to create curves for your gain stage, poweramp, or overdrive stomps. There is also te curve designer. Its a simple interface based on a bezier curve, so all you need to do is draw the curve. This is not as accurate as scripting your curves, but it certainly is easier, and you can get some pretty nice results as well. Generally speaking, if you are going to be making a clean head and just want a little grit, you should be using the scripting technology to create your curve. However, in an environment where you are looking for more distortion, the curve designer is probably your best option, its the easiest for sure. Here is a screen shot that illustrates the type of insane ridiculous curves that can be made with the curve designer. I am not really sure what this curve would sound like, its only for illustration purposes only.

Freud and Head Distribution(Packaging your head inside a JPG image)
    As was said ealier, Head case was designed so that it's easy for you to distribute the heads you make.
    Likewise, its easy to install and download them.

Upon completion of your design and should you wish to distribute your head you can press the Make Distribution button. This will gather all your head components together, your skin, knobs, curves, scripts, switches and head definition files. It then packages them inside a ZIP and then places the ZIP file inside a JPG image. Before Head Case does this, it quickly takes a snap shot of your head and makes a thumbnail as well as a distribution image. It uses the distribution image of your head to place to place the zip file into.
    Here is an actual distribution image.

Installing Heads
    The sister component to Freud is the install Head executable. This executable's job is to take the ZIP file out of the image and decompress it. Then it goes about organizing and placing all the various files into their proper folders. As it does this, it dynamically generates an uninstall script that you can use should you want to remove the head from head case.

So to install the above head all you would have to do is right click on the image and save it to your computer, then drag and drop it on the install head icon(if you allowed it to be created on the desktop, if not then you can open the install head program and navigate to the image.
    Pretty simple...

So to sum it up, Head Case complete is two main vst plugins, The Builder and the suite. The builder is used to design and edit your heads, and the suite is for using the heads. All the other VST plugins are single versions of the effects, stomps, and a single head reader for those that don't like running whole suites.

Here is a chart that shows the comnponents and preset interactions. All plugins, whether its just a single stomp or the full suite can use the same preset files. So if for example, you ran the suite and got a sound you loved, but, wanted to save a little CPU and load time, you could run the single head, and all the single effects that you used and simply point each one of them to the preset you saved from the suite. Each of the plugins will ignore all the other parameters in the preset and only use the parameters that are specified for it. So even though the preset file has parameters for the stereo delay, if you were using a single stomp, it would ignore the parameters for the delay and only care about its own parameters.

Next post we'll start talking about head design...
    Mesh
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/27 12:01:08 (permalink)
    For a moment, I thought I was at the acmebargig.com website.....

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    KenMcLaren
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/27 12:26:50 (permalink)
    Well I have to write the manual anyways, so I figured it would'nt hurt if I got started on it here...Its sort of a little trick I picked up along the way. If you start your manual at a forum, then if you have missed something or left some gaps in the explanations, people will ask. :)
    Mesh
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/27 13:42:03 (permalink)
    No worries Ken (sorry, I was just messin with ya)....I think this little trick is very valuable for all parties as this will help the end result. Working things out to get a good product so all parties can be happy (user & developer). It's a win win situation.

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    KenMcLaren
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/27 16:07:45 (permalink)
    You know, I have seen in the past at other forums where I did this, when someone asked a question after release, people would point them to the thread where I did the first start of the manual. So depending on how in depth we get there, this may end up being another spot like that...

Ozz
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/27 22:16:09 (permalink)
    So they'll have me to blame....I mean, thank! ;)

Any idea on a release date or is it still very much a work in progress?

KenMcLaren
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/28 06:40:01 (permalink)
    Its not really a work in progress as we have it built and there was one full release to the pre-purchase test group already. Now if we were still defining the full set of features, and had not done a release yet, then I'd call it a work in progress. Right now its more of a "fixing bugs" as they are reported or found out. We are on our second round of full release and this one is a lot more tricky because it will have the full set of features enabled. All the scripting, the new FrankenAMPII, etc. So there is a lot to get through in terms of getting it in a releasable state. Now add to the fact that Head Case is also meant to be portable without relying on any windows registry or paths and you begin to see the dance we're doing.

So right now I am finishing fixing an issue with the code editor that have to do with the distribution of heads and encryption for the scripts, as well as identification of the proper script for the head currently in use.
    KenMcLaren
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/28 06:45:16 (permalink)
    Its not really a work in progress as we have it built and there was one full release to the pre-purchase test group already. Now if we were still defining the full set of features, and had not done a release yet, then I'd call it a work in progress. Right now its more of a "fixing bugs" as they are reported or found out. We are on our second round of full release and this one is a lot more tricky because it will have the full set of features enabled. All the scripting, the new FrankenAMPII, etc. So there is a lot to get through in terms of getting it in a releasable state. Now add to the fact that Head Case is also meant to be portable without relying on any windows registry or paths and you begin to see the dance we're doing.

So right now I am finishing fixing an issue with the code editor that have to do with the distribution of heads and encryption for the scripts, as well as identification of the proper script for the head currently in use.
    KenMcLaren
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/28 06:46:26 (permalink)
    I don't know why that double posted?, Sorry guys
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/28 08:41:29 (permalink)
    The forum software here Ken sucks. It doesn't work with the latest version of FF. You see this sentence was suppose to start on a new line. But it won't. And this message was suppose to have your quote in it, but it don't. However I can go to any other forum site and type away and FF works flawlessly. Some have suggested a update to this forum sw is needed.
    post edited by Grem - 2011/10/28 08:42:36

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    Grem
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/28 08:50:34 (permalink)
    And to all who reads Ken's posts and becomes interested, all I can tell you is to d/l and try it. The Cab solutions are worth the time to explore them just on their own. You can use these things with anything!! The Stomps are much more than just a stomp. I think the only one that has no "mods" built in is the Chorus. All others have different versions built right in. The rack fx's are also something worth checking out. These things ROCK!! And I haven't even mentioned the amps!!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    KenMcLaren
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/28 17:34:17 (permalink)
    The chorus can be custom modded with the Stomp Moder. You have not seen that yet grem...You know how there is drop down menus on the stomps now...With Stomp modder all those drop down menus become populated with your mods..
    :)
    Grem
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/29 11:43:40 (permalink)
    Will you be able to swap these mods that you make with others? That would be real sweet!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    Home PC
    Surface Pro 3
    KenMcLaren
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/10/30 14:33:02 (permalink)
    Yes, just like you can swap your scripts, curves, filters, gain stages, poweramps, tonestacks, all of it..:)
    But the stomp modder will not be in this release, I just don't have time to build it in because of the testing thats involved..

JohnKenn
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1659
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/11/07 20:40:10 (permalink)
    Hey Guys, Got to respond to this.

There’s some things I don’t like about this software. The racks could be improved and diversified. Reverb is early digital substandard to my ears. Guitar Rig, Amplitube etc for a few hundred bucks will blow this away as far as racks and effects.

Stomps are limited and the compressor is about as lame as they get. Dial in a more extreme level and the volume drops off the low end. No makeup control to compensate for a second rate stomp to begin with. The opening page is a generic square wave rampage that doesn’t do justice to this gem.

This being said, how hard is it to patch in a comp or effect to compensate. Free stuff is all over the net. You guys remember the black sheep Boost Cake plug. Patch this in before HeadCase and listen to what happens. Close to magic.

On the up side, Ken has created a freak masterpiece. I doubt even Ken knew what he was doing. All this is subjective.

Been doing music stuff for over 50 years. There are a lot of fine units out there. Some of the freeware outpace the pros even.

Ken’s HeadCase is a monster. A sleeper below the radar of the industry. The distortion and overdrive components are way beyond the big bux pro icons. Harmonic squeal and feedback at room level db, haven’t found it anywhere else.

Price tag is somewhere about $26 for the forever beta version. Think Ken is an OCD perfectionist, so who knows when the final release will be. I don’t work for the company.

My review is that any guitarist, and probably keyboard player should audition this thing. It is not for the faint of heart because the real gems take some study and time beyond the overkill grade school opening blast. Presets are at least a point of departure to experiment.

Think Ken still has the freeware predecessor, Shred as a freebie from his website. Gives an idea about what HeadCase is all about. www.acmebargig.com

Killer app. If anything comer 25% close to this, let me know.

Best,
    John
    post edited by JohnKenn - 2011/11/07 21:02:40
    JohnKenn
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/11/07 20:48:22 (permalink)
    Deleted...Conflict with Firefox browser resolved...
    post edited by JohnKenn - 2011/11/07 21:23:46
    KenMcLaren
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/11/08 12:07:06 (permalink)
    Haha, Yeah we do need to work more on those effects. I'm afraid they took a back seat in order to spend more time on the heads. However, thats not to say we won't be working on them, we definitely will.

In keeping with our conversations on the forum John, we did add something new to try and that is an even harmonics blend/mixture knob for each Curve. I'm curious to see if that does what you were talking about.
    JohnKenn
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/11/08 22:48:13 (permalink)
    Ken, thanks for the reply.

A bit hard on some of the components, sorry. Probably shouldn't sniff glue and post for at least a couple hours after. Just that when such a critical overdrive engine surfaces, it needs the same level of effects support.

In all fairness, on the Acme forums, one musician felt that the mountain reverb rack was one of the best reverbs he's played. All subjective.

I've got most of the major contenders on my system. Over a short time, HeadCase is about the only unit I go to. I still have a knee jerk reaction to look at the outside effect chain to verify what else is getting the incredible sounds, and it's Headcase with minimal upstream compression and eq love.

Head Case's internal stomp compressor needs attention, because the drive attenuates with hi comp levels without a makeup control to compensate. Here's where a significant part of HeadCase's hidden glory lies. Again, all anyone needs to do is fire up Cake's Boost II into Headcase to hear the potential.

There's no competing with industry standards, Amplitubes, Guitar Rigs, Revalvers etc. Head Case SET the industry standard. Any digital musician worth his or her bytes should seal themselves off from humanity for a couple days to concentrate on this visionary software. Real gold can be lost in the moderate complexity without some effort to learn the layout and controls. All I use any more.

Best overdrive anywhere for any price.

Ken, microbrews on me next time you're out to the Oregon outback.

John
    post edited by JohnKenn - 2011/11/08 22:55:15
    KenMcLaren
    Re:Anyone heard anything about a release date for the new ACMEBARGIG guitar suite? 2011/11/09 17:39:49 (permalink)
    No worries John, its important that people speak freely. I do realize that we need to do something about the comp, and I'd like to clean up the effects more. But with a December first deadline looming that will have to stay in the back seat for now...What I really want to do is get stomp modder out with all the same options as Head Case has and see where we go from there.

I don't believe that I or anyone else will ever make the perfect head, delay, chorus, etc. One that appeals to everyone. So with that, if you give the users the power to adjust it the way they want it, and I mean real power not just a couple knobs, then they can craft the perfect effect or head themselves. The challenge is to do that in a way that oridinary people can use it. If you ask most musicians to perform some form of nodal anlysis, or even calculate an RC filter value, they'll either not know what you're talking about, or just get bored and say forget it. Afterall, for the most part, these people don't really want to know the technical aspects, they just want to get a good sound, and play. But, if you give that same person a slider and say play with that until you like the sound, they'll at least try, and maybe even enjoy the journey and exploration.

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1