X2 Automation

Author
creynolds
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 189
2012/09/24 20:07:07 (permalink)

X2 Automation

Evening all. I am trying the new automation modes in X2 and so far its all fairly good. But.... Using a physical control surface to create automation data using touch mode, rather than just a mouse over a track fader and moving that, I am finding that once I release the touch on the physical fader, that X2 continues to write stationary fader data to the track for almost of a second after releasing the hardware fader, thus corrupting previously written mix information. Using a mouse to waggle the fader the release is instant. With a control surface information continues to be written for about 3/4 of a second after the fader is 'untouched' or released. Sounds trivial but if you mix with hardware a lot of stuff can get corrupted and overwritten that really should not. I am using a Euphonix MC mix/ Avid Artist mix but I suspect that this is a generic problem relating to external data timing derived from external hardware. Could someone else try this out and verify please so that we can get rid of this annoying delay. C

Rain Recording Nimbus. Sandybridge 2600k, 16gb Ram. Quadro FX 580, Roland Quad Capture. Avid Artist Mix and Transport. Loads of other cool stuff.

23 Replies Related Threads

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/09/24 23:25:29 (permalink)
    This is because with a mouse there is a notion of a mouse button up message. Most surfaces do not have touch sensitive faders so SONAR must implement a timer to guess when the user has stopped moving a fader.
    This behavior is not new to X2.

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/09/24 23:57:02 (permalink)
    I just worked with volume automation using a Mackie Control setup to use touch faders. I used the new touch mode to edit some test automation. It is wonderful.

I have always liked how the MC worked now I love it.

Best
    John
    swamptooth
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2229
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/09/26 14:22:40 (permalink)
    make sure on the track inspector under the track tab that automation write mode is set to touch and not latch or overwrite. the other thing you can do is to set the punch in/out options to the range you want edit. any automation will only be written to that range, leaving everything else unchanged.

Arvid H. Peterson
    Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
    Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
    Home-brewed VSTs 
    Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
    Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Member, ASCAP   

creynolds
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/09/27 11:01:24 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for you very helpful and insightful comments. Swamptooth/ Setting punch in out points will avoid overwrites. I have verified under the track tab that I have indeed enabled touch mode. John/ Glad to hear that the Mackie Control is working well for you. But I don't think you have furthered the point I am trying to make. Noel/ Thanks for taking time to reply. I know you are a busy man. I use protools and it's touch mode senses when and when not the control is being touched and writes the automation accordingly. This make things very fast indeed. Shouldn't a true touch mode be able to discern the touched/not touched status of a fader, or is this simply not possible? Is it not possible to discern that the data stream has ceased and stop recording data accordingly? Or alternatvely, buffer the data until the transport is stopped and then truncate back to the point the faders data stream ceased. At present it feels... A little crude and unfinished.

Rain Recording Nimbus. Sandybridge 2600k, 16gb Ram. Quadro FX 580, Roland Quad Capture. Avid Artist Mix and Transport. Loads of other cool stuff.
    pwal
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2909
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/09/27 11:08:49 (permalink)
    doesn't a touch-sensitive controller give a "un-touch" event, a la mouseup event, that could be grabbed, or does sonar just not look for it because most controllers don't fire it?

list of stuff
    creynolds
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/09/27 11:36:01 (permalink)
    Yes it does seem very unlikely doesn't it. My guess is this has simply not been addressed until now. I do take issue with Noels statement that most controllers do not have touch sensitivity. Whilst this is probably true, I think most new ones do and this is likely to become a must in all new surfaces or even ipad based controllers.

creynolds
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/09/30 07:52:54 (permalink)
    Ok so we are just going to leave this wonderful 'touch' feature as an unfinished oversight then are we. Fabulous.

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/09/30 07:55:33 (permalink)
    I can confirm it works exactly as expected here on an MCU, I haven't tried it with a mouse though.
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/09/30 08:03:35 (permalink)
    creynolds

Ok so we are just going to leave this wonderful 'touch' feature as an unfinished oversight then are we. Fabulous.

It might help if we knew what controller you are using.  In my case I use the MC and it does have touch sensitive faders.

But in the setup for it you can turn them off.

Best
    John
    creynolds
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/09/30 08:24:37 (permalink)
    Hi John, As mentioned in the first message in this thread and I quote >>I am using a Euphonix MC Mix/ Avid Artist Mix<< The faders are transmitting touch data and Sonar is receiving and writing data accordingly. The issue, as outlined, is that Sonar does no detect fader being 'untouched' or finger contact removed and therefore goes on writing null or stationary data for a predetermined time after the data stream stops (almost a second). Thus, even in the new 'Touch' mode (yes its enabled in the new tab) previously recorded automation is needlessly overwritten. I would prefer and indeed expect that Sonar would detect that the fader has been released and cease writing data instantly, so that no data is inadvertently and needlessly overwritten. I would have thought that this would be the most logical way for such an automation mode called 'Touch mode' would be expected to function. Touch sensitive controllers are now commonplace. Indeed Cakewalks own surface is touch sensitive I believe. Would it not be logical for Sonar X2 (it being oh so very advanced) be able to fully sense fader touch status.

Cakewalk Staff
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/09/30 08:55:47 (permalink)
    Which control surface dll are you using? If your physical surface has touch sensitive faders, then its likely that the surface dll has not been updated to transmit touch.

Noel Borthwick
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/09/30 09:20:04 (permalink)
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk
    ]

Which control surface dll are you using? If your physical surface has touch sensitive faders, then its likely that the surface dll has not been updated to transmit touch.

Or there is no Euphonix MC Mix/ Avid Artist Mix dll and the OP is using it in Mackie mode.

The way to tell if a CS is transmitting touch is a track selection should occur when a fader is touched.

Best
    John
    creynolds
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/09/30 09:23:10 (permalink)
    Hi Noel Thanks for once again devoting some of you time to this issue. As mentioned at the top of the thread in the OP and in my latest response to John. I am using a Euphonix MC MIX now called the Avid Artist Mix. I have downloaded and installed the Cakewalk EUCON Control Surface Support package. I am running eucontrol 2.6.2 the latest version. Touch is being transmitted by MC Mix and is being received by Sonar X2. As highlighted in your last message it is untouch or touch off that is not being recieved or understood by Sonar. To quote you Noel. >>This is because with a mouse there is a notion of a mouse button up message. Most surfaces do not have touch sensitive faders so SONAR must implement a timer to guess when the user has stopped moving a fader. This behavior is not new to X2. << I agree that this is not new to X2. I do feel however that this is not very progressive as the majority of control surfaces now being sold do have fader touch sensitivity. Would it not be wise for Sonar X2 to be able to tell when a fader is being touched OR NOT and be able to stop writing automation data to a track based on this state thereby not overwriting upcoming data after the fader has ceased being touched. Logical and expected I would think in a touch mode with touch sensitive faders.

Cakewalk Staff
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/09/30 09:26:24 (permalink)
    I'm not personally very familiar with the EUCON dll but will try and find out more about this as to why touch off is not handled.

Noel Borthwick
    creynolds
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/09/30 09:31:47 (permalink)
    That would be absolutely fantastic Noel. Thank you very much indeed.

creynolds
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/09/30 09:54:54 (permalink)
      No John, the OP is not using Mackie mode. I am using Eucon Controller. This option is only available after you instal the EUCON Control Surface Support developed by and downloaded from Cakewalk support. The eucontrol protocol uses ethernet rather than midi to achieve fast, network assignable control and very high resolution control data. It is used by the Artist and the Euphonix series consoles. As it is now owned by Avid it may become the standard professional studio desk control protocol for all Avid / Protools systems. Additionally eucontrol is application aware and remaps instantly as instances of one or many different applications are focused. In short, its very cool indeed. BTW Track selection IS occuring when a fader is touched. Best Chris

John
    Forum Host
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/09/30 09:56:58 (permalink)
    I redid the test again now that I have a better understanding of the problem. On the MC using the touch mode the witting does not stop instantly when you release the fader.

But touch mode and touch sensitivity may not be the same thing I would think. That is touch mode may not be using the touch of a surface but the end of movement to determine when the automation is to stop. It should what ever mode its in but I don't think CW has Sonar set up for that. It is true that there are more touch sensitive CSs around now but far more CSs without it still. None the less all of us that do have it should be supported.

Right now I'm not sure what is going on or what to expect. I do know that the Logic Control had all these modes with Logic. But I can't recall what each mode did differently and how.

You may have brought an issue to the forefront that needs further explanation.

In the case of the Mackie Control the copyright is 2002-2006. Which means to me no updates have been made for a long to it.

Also keeping on the subject touch in the dialog we have an option to touch the fader and thus select a channel. This obviously has nothing to do "touch mode".

Really the MC is being wasted under X2. It should work with the ProChannel but it doesn't.

Best
    John
    creynolds
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/10/04 19:39:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for your update John. I think you can now see what I am getting at. I tried protools again and the touch select of channels that you mention is absolutely instant in PT 9. In Sonar it's not so snappy. In Protools there is a tiny delay after you lift your finger off a fader before it exits write and smoothly ramps to where the previously written data is. This is worth mentioning. Protools rapidly splines to the existing data rather than a linear jump. Very musical and a very good guess at what we would all prefer. 

I think that this would be a feature worth completing to the expected level. 

creynolds
    Re:X2 Automation 2012/10/04 19:42:11 (permalink)
    Actually, a very good start might be to simply quarter the time sonar waits for new data before it exits automation write. This may solve the problem entirely. 

creynolds
    Re:X2 Automation 2013/03/11 07:30:30 (permalink)
    Just revisited this in X2a build 351. It seems to be a lot better than I remember it. Once a fader is released the red highlight goes off and writing seems to cease 'toute de suite'. Has this been addressed or am I mistaken. Noel?

John
    Forum Host
    Re:X2 Automation 2013/03/11 07:50:09 (permalink)
    You're seeing a bit faster response now? If so it could very well be due to a fix in X2a. 

Best
    John
    Cakewalk Staff
    Re:X2 Automation 2013/03/11 09:31:52 (permalink)
    In X2A the touch timeout value was reduced quite a bit. I think this is what you are seeing.

Noel Borthwick
    mcmasters
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:X2 Automation 2013/10/28 15:55:47 (permalink)
    Whew!! It is not just me...
    So is this an issue with ALL control surfaces and Sonar?
    See my post...(I can't create hyperlinks for whatever reason???) cut and paste into browser
    -- forum.cakewalk.com/fader-lag-release-latency-setting-m2861029.aspx --

With the vs-100 you would think it would be flawless, but no... release the fader wait... then it snaps back. Average time from release to snap back is approx 1.3 secs at 44.1 or 58,800 samples.
    Absolutely beyond sub-pro.
    I might be heading back to the digi camp if they can't figure out how to release a silly fader.

In X2A the touch timeout value was reduced quite a bit. I think this is what you are seeing.

Should it be a timeout at all? Why not respond to to my release? I know these faders transmit some kind of signal.

OK i did research and found motorized faders generally use a capacitance sensing circuit to determine if someone is touching the fader.
    And you use software to determine at what capacitance the fader considers itself touched and what to do if touched.
    It is written in code just like php or any other code with a true or false or 0 and 1 statement.
    Like:
    Fadertouch {
     if capacitance = 700 {
    do this thing};
    else {
    do this other thing};
    }

SOURCE - Cody Hazelwood - Look for "TOUCH SENSITIVITY" section --
    Again cut and paste in browser
    --- hazelwoodsound.com/motorized-faders-and-the-arduino ----

The expensive touch fader acts as if it is not touch sensitive at all and waits for a given time... like the fader is asking, "are you done yet?"

Try This...
    • click on a fader in console view (make sure it is in touch write mode)
    • Use your mouse scroll wheel
    • duck a single word or note real quick by spinning your scroll wheel...
    • the fader move down... holds for a set period then releases... approx release or timeout time is 1.45 secs
    Touch sensitive fader should not suffer from that timeout code in the software writing. Touch faders should have their own lines of code.

Granted those duck outs are not something I do a lot of, normally I fine tune via mouse selection. However, it feels a bit wonky and cheap and it doesn't seem like a lot to ask for...

Please make my touch sensitive faders respond to my release and not have some predetermined timeout.
    And if it must be predetermined allow me to make changes in the prefs. Like fader touch time out = 0ms.

post edited by mcmasters - 2013/10/28 16:06:07

Cheers,
    McMasters
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1