Keyboard Macros for Sonar - Is this the answer at last?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Skyline_UK
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
RE: Keyboard Macros for Sonar - Is this the answer at last? 2006/06/05 19:24:58 (permalink)
Geoff,

Could you also work in there something along the lines of :-
"That a user-definable Tool Bar also be made available along with icons so user bindings/macros can be attached to such icons for rapid access."

BTW: I'm also a mouse-a-phobe - I just recorded the macro of my clickings!

John

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
+ too many other plugins
BandLab page
glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
RE: Keyboard Macros for Sonar - Is this the answer at last? 2006/06/05 23:40:14 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Skyline_UK
Geoff,

Could you also work in there something along the lines of :-
"That a user-definable Tool Bar also be made available along with icons so user bindings/macros can be attached to such icons for rapid access."

BTW: I'm also a mouse-a-phobe - I just recorded the macro of my clickings!

John

Good thinking John!

Keyboard Binding and Macro Automation:

1. That Keyboard bindings be completely overhauled in two main ways:
i. That more (if not all) commands should be bindable, with a major emphasis on those commands that are not yet bindable and cannot curently be activated from the keyboard alone. These largely consist of commands activated by drop down menus and context menus rather than the main menu.
ii. That the Keyboard Bindings interface be improved, perhaps by adding an extra panel, to make it easier to navigate through the many, many categories and many, many options.

2. That a utility such as Macro Express or Perfect Keyboard also be incorporated and integrated into Sonar to allow powerful custom keyboard macros that go right inside the various dialog boxes and set parameters.

3. That a user-definable Tool Bar also be made available along with icons so user bindings/macros can be attached to such icons for rapid access.

Any other ideas, anybody?

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
DigitalDesign Speakers
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
RE: Keyboard Macros for Sonar - Is this the answer at last? 2006/06/06 13:39:30 (permalink)
Hi Geoff-

I'm in a rush right now, and I'll look at this more closely when I have more time, but it sounds like you have the bases covered. I'd say go for it!

Thanks-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
planist
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 883
RE: Keyboard Macros for Sonar - Is this the answer at last? 2006/06/07 14:24:10 (permalink)
I've added endorsement to your post on the "'Sonar 6 Feaures" thread.
I really hope someone at Cakewalk is reading these suggestions because they could really steal a march on the competition by incorporating a User Tool Bar with the ability to assign macros to user icons. It seems ludicrous to me that e.g. I have to click four times to change velocity on a selection of midi notes. Let's keep hoping!

Ron, said Cake is reading the feature requests in this forum.
You are right - if they have capacities they really should implement the good ideas that we bring up that none of the existing sequenzers have yet.

lets hope..
glazfolk
RE: Keyboard Macros for Sonar - Is this the answer at last? 2006/06/07 22:40:44 (permalink)
Just to round off the circle here, I've been looking at AutHotKeys again, in more depth. For those interested:

PROS: Freeware, very powerful. Seems able to do anything Perfect Keyboard or Macro Express does

CONS: Not easy to use at first - a steeper and longer learning curve, strange interface and method of working. Very, very poor documentation. It took me a lot of time - I mean at least a days - to figure out what could have been a lot easier with a useful "Getting started" guide. The one that is provided is very inadequate.

That said, once you DO get the hang of it, it's then no less convenient or more difficult to use really than any of the other products.

Best, Geoff

PS On edit ... just to add, for people more familiar with understanding computer software, programming etc than me, this would probably be an easy program to learn. Meanwhile if anybody is playing around with AutoHotKeys and wants a few easy tips on how to get started (saves re-inventing the wheel!) I'd be only too happy to help if you drop me an email
post edited by glazfolk - 2006/06/08 01:47:22

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
DigitalDesign Speakers
Susan G
RE: Keyboard Macros for Sonar - Is this the answer at last? 2006/06/09 14:31:30 (permalink)
Hi Geoff-

Well, you've convinced me to give AutHotKeys another shot. It's definitely in my price range!

So what's the easiest way you've found to assign a recorded macro to a key? As I recall from my brief trial of it, it wasn't obvious.

Thanks-

-Susan

Susan G
RE: Keyboard Macros for Sonar - Is this the answer at last? 2006/06/09 16:16:03 (permalink)
Hi Geoff-
2. Horror of horrors, my Perfect Keyboasrd demo has now stuffed up on me. Suddenly, it won't let me record, only write. I did at some time after installing it have to do a Windows System Restore to an earlier time, then reinstall it, and it definitely don't like it. Maybe I should have uninstalled it first.

I just tried to uninstall Perfect Keyboard and it froze my system, requiring a cold boot. I don't know what-all it left behind yet, but there's definitely something not quite right about this app (demo, at least)!

-Susan

glazfolk
RE: Keyboard Macros for Sonar - Is this the answer at last? 2006/06/09 18:37:31 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Susan G

Hi Geoff-

Well, you've convinced me to give AutHotKeys another shot. It's definitely in my price range!

So what's the easiest way you've found to assign a recorded macro to a key? As I recall from my brief trial of it, it wasn't obvious.

Thanks-

-Susan

Susan ...

Sadly, you have to manually type in the code followed by two colons. This goes at the very begining of the macro. The codes are listed somewhere in the Help and quite easy to find. For example, Windows Key with Shift w is represented as:

#+w::

When you get used to this, it's no big drama.

Two more tips you might find helpful (it took me ages to figure this out, you might be smarter than me)

1. You can store all your macros in AutoHotKeys.ini. This makes them automatically available to you on boot up. Each macro then should end with a Return statement that you have to write in. You don't need to compile each macro into executable form.

2. Best way then to make macros I find is to record, then copy and paste into AutoHotKeys.ini, ruthlesly purging most of the mouse movements, and Sleep commands (except where vyou want a delay) and manually editing to add hot keys, comments and return at end.

Here are some examples from my own efforts, might give a few ideas:

;

Edited - oops this is the wrong file! Will post correct one!

I hope this helps,
Best,
Geoff
post edited by glazfolk - 2006/06/09 18:57:35
glazfolk
RE: Keyboard Macros for Sonar - Is this the answer at last? 2006/06/09 19:00:19 (permalink)
OK Here's the hopefully correct file:

; Ctrl Alt N - New Notepad Document
^!n::
IfWinExist Untitled - Notepad
WinActivate
else
Run Notepad
return

; Win v - Check Latency - Open db for 2 secs then close
#v::
Send, {ALTDOWN}o{ALTUP}o{ENTER}
WinWait, Audio Options - WDM/KS,
IfWinNotActive, Audio Options - WDM/KS, , WinActivate, Audio Options - WDM/KS,
WinWaitActive, Audio Options - WDM/KS,
Sleep, 2000
Send,{ENTER}
return

; Win d - Decrease Latency
#d::
Send, {ALTDOWN}z{ALTUP}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}
Sleep, 2000
Send,{ENTER}
return

;Win i - Increase Latency
#i::
Send, {ALTDOWN}z{ALTUP}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}{RIGHT}
Sleep, 2000
Send,{ENTER}
return

;Win g - Insert Clip Gain Envelope
#g::
MouseClick, right
Send, n{DOWN}{RIGHT}{ENTER}
return

;Win m - Multiprocesor Engine On/Off
#m::
Send, {CTRLDOWN}{PGDN}{CTRLUP}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{SPACE}
Sleep, 3000
Send, {CTRLDOWN}{PGUP}{CTRLUP}{ENTER}
return

; Track Icon macros are designed to work when mouse is hovering pver the icon
; area for the track in Console View - of course, you could equally create macros
; that run from Track View

;Win Shift f - Insert Fiddle Icon
#+f::
MouseClick, right
Send, i{ENTER}
WinWait, Open,
IfWinNotActive, Open, , WinActivate, Open,
WinWaitActive, Open,
Send, violin{space}2A.bmp{ENTER}
return

;Win Shift g - Insert GuitarIcon
#+g::
MouseClick, right
Send, i{ENTER}
WinWait, Open,
WinWaitActive, Open,
Send, acoustic{space}1A.bmp{ENTER}
return

;Win Shift h - Insert Harmonica Icon
#+h::
MouseClick, right
Send, i{ENTER}
WinWait, Open,
WinWaitActive, Open,
Send, harmonica{space}1.bmp{ENTER}
return

;Win Shift v - Insert Vocal Icon
#+v::
MouseClick, right
Send, i{ENTER}
WinWait, Open,
WinWaitActive, Open,
Send, classic{space}ll{space}1B.bmp{ENTER}
return

Geoff
Susan G
RE: Keyboard Macros for Sonar - Is this the answer at last? 2006/06/09 19:10:31 (permalink)
Hi Geoff-
Sadly, you have to manually type in the code followed by two colons. This goes at the very begining of the macro.

That's fine, not a problem.

I did see that it made the most sense to put all the macros in a single file. That's about as far as I got! I'll let you know how it goes, and thanks again for all your efforts!

-Susan

glazfolk
RE: Keyboard Macros for Sonar - Is this the answer at last? 2006/06/09 19:30:18 (permalink)
Good luck Susan, let us know if you come across anything interesting or discover any tips etc., won't you?

I do find the latency macros alone worth running the program for me - record low, mix high, but I'm always forgetting where it's set!

Best,
Geoff
OTP
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: RE: Keyboard Macros for Sonar - Is this the answer at last? 2012/03/20 15:11:29 (permalink)

Hi,

Long time lurker, first time contributor. I've made a short video about the way I use macros with Sonar 8.5. I've been thinking of doing this for a while as it seems to be one of those functions a lot of users are crying out for, so here is some info on what I've learned in this area. This uses Sonar 8.5.2 in combination with Perfect Keyboard. I am in the process of transitioning these macros over to X1 - obviously some of them need to be changed to accommodate the new workflows. Hope this helps anyone who is interested in this area.

http://youtu.be/O7VJQ0EheHM

Anton
sock monkey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: RE: Keyboard Macros for Sonar - Is this the answer at last? 2012/03/20 15:25:31 (permalink)
Why didn't you start a new thread? This has got to be the oldest thread here>> a lot has changed since 2006.

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

jerrypettit
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 625
Re: RE: Keyboard Macros for Sonar - Is this the answer at last? 2012/03/20 18:27:58 (permalink)
Yeah, I started reading at the beginning and then noticed the dates.

+1 for AutoHotKey for macros in general.  I'll have to take a look at this video now...
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: RE: Keyboard Macros for Sonar - Is this the answer at last? 2012/03/20 19:32:00 (permalink)

a lot has changed since 2006

Well, one thing hasn't changed in 6 years: SONAR still does not have internal support for keyboard macros!

Probably should have started a fresh thread, though. Still, looking over the old posts I see that they are all still relevant. The most notable change is all the old regulars who now live over in Reaperland.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: RE: Keyboard Macros for Sonar - Is this the answer at last? 2012/03/20 23:10:38 (permalink)
Oh is that were they all have gone! I remember Matson Music Box was off to try Cubase and promised he would report back. Guess he did like it 'cuase that was the end of him too.

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

jerrypettit
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 625
Re: RE: Keyboard Macros for Sonar - Is this the answer at last? 2012/05/24 12:18:23 (permalink)
I wanted to publicly thank OTP for reposting his video (referenced above, but since deleted) showing how he was using Perfect Keyboard's macro program to speed up workflow in SONAR:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwQptCs0lew
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1