Sonar 7 crashes while booting

Author
LeePerry
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2007/11/05 15:45:42 (permalink)

Sonar 7 crashes while booting

Hello to all, this is my first Post here and i already have a big problem:

I purchased Sonar 7 (Producer Edition) and it run s as expected when i use the WDM Driver. As the latency with this is too high, I want to use the ASIO Driver of my soundcard (presonus Firepod).

After changing the driver to ASIO in Sonar, i m not able to start Sonar at all. during the Start-Screen, Windows says Sonar had a problem and will be shut down.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance!

14 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Sonar 7 crashes while booting 2007/11/06 03:41:16 (permalink)
    alot of times sonar will crash or wont even start if the sound card or driver does not exist. ARe you sure there's ASIO drivers that support your operating system. There has also been a rash of users having problems with pre-sonus also. Maybe a search might lead to a solution.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    LeePerry
    RE: Sonar 7 crashes while booting 2007/11/06 07:37:23 (permalink)
    There is an ASIO-Driver for my Firepod, which runs great with other Applications (Ableton Live for example). I also tried to update the Driver - no difference.
    I disabled and enabled the onboard Sound in my Bios - don t know what to do.
    kp
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1496
    RE: Sonar 7 crashes while booting 2007/11/06 07:55:46 (permalink)
    Would you happen to be using Adobe Audition too? That installs its own ASIO driver (why? search me) that SONAR doesn't like.

Alternatively, you can revert to WDM by changing the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\7.0

Find the Core value and change it to 7d0 (2000 decimal)
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Sonar 7 crashes while booting 2007/11/06 08:10:50 (permalink)
    Lee,

I had a similar problem a while ago when I was using the Presonus V-Fire where I was trying to startup Sonar and it caused the PC to reboot. I discovered that if I had the default sample rate in Sonar set to something different than what I had in the V-Fire control panel that caused the reboot. Once I set the V-Fire control panel to the same sample rate as what Sonar was currently set to I was able to then get into Sonar.

Just a thought. Maybe it is what is happening in your case.

Best of Luck,
    Tom
    LeePerry
    RE: Sonar 7 crashes while booting 2007/11/06 08:23:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for your suggestions, kp and tyacko.

I don t use Adobe Audition, but Adobe Soundbooth - perhaps it s a similar Problem.
    I ll try your Tip with the registry, so i don t have to uninstall AND clean the whole registry from Sonar, than reinstall Sonar to try all these Tips.

I m quite sure that i use the same sample rate in the presonus driver and sonar, but i will test out all the possible combinations.

It s really weird for me, cause i never had a problem on such a low Level (during booting) with a pro audio application.

I ve got to sort this out soon or i ll get mad (and regrett not buying a mac and Logic...). No bashing here, i chose Sonar because i liked it best, but it would be a nice opportunity for me to really work with it....
    kp
    RE: Sonar 7 crashes while booting 2007/11/06 08:29:48 (permalink)
    Soundbooth may well do the same thing.

If you take a look in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO, what subkeys are there?
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Sonar 7 crashes while booting 2007/11/06 08:30:16 (permalink)
    Lee,

I have to admit that I don't think it is Sonar in the case but Presonus that is the real problem. I currently own a Lynx card and I have absolutely no problems anymore no matter what sample rate I'm at before or after using Sonar. I think Presonus is the real problem here. From personal experience I don't think they have very stable drivers. I think your comment about "regretting not buying a mac and Logic" in my opinion is an unfair statement against Sonar.

Since move to Lynx Sonar has been rock solid for me. I'm really enjoy music since that purchase.

I hope you can figure out the problem.
    LeePerry
    RE: Sonar 7 crashes while booting 2007/11/06 08:42:21 (permalink)
    At first: Thank you VERY much for the Tip how i go back to WDM via the Registry, this could have saved me already a LOT of Time.

Second: Sorry for the Mac/Logic Statement, it probably was unfair and i just had to vent. In Fact, i hope it s not Sonar, cause i thought a long Time about which DAW to choose, and i really want to use Sonar. Hope i get the problems sorted

@kp: You could be right - under ASIO there is only one subkey (or subfolder), which is Adobe Default Windows 1.5

Do you know if i can just delete the whole Folder?

If the problem is really there, i should buy you a Beer, for sure....
    kp
    RE: Sonar 7 crashes while booting 2007/11/06 09:30:34 (permalink)
    That'll be the key that screws it up - if you delete it (which is fine), you'll need to re-install your Firepod drivers so the correct ASIO drivers get added to the registry.
    LeePerry
    RE: Sonar 7 crashes while booting 2007/11/06 09:59:33 (permalink)
    That would be so nice.... I have to finish another work and will try this in two or three hours. I will let you know, if this solves the Problem.

thanks for your help so far!
    post edited by LeePerry - 2007/11/06 10:11:09
    LeePerry
    RE: Sonar 7 crashes while booting 2007/11/06 10:57:07 (permalink)
    I re-installed the driver for my Firepod, but it still does not work. When i look at the Registry, there is nothing added to ASIO, so I still think the Problem is around there.

When i search the Firepod in the Windows Device Manager, it is only listed as Firepod WDM - so i could just renew that. No mention of ASIO.

But there has to be an ASIO Driver obviously, because my other Applications see it and can use it. I have also Asio4all, which works in other Applications, but sonar does not see it.

Any Ideas how i can add the Firepod to the Registry? Any Firepod Users who can have a look at their Registry and tell me what it looks like?
    kp
    RE: Sonar 7 crashes while booting 2007/11/06 12:23:05 (permalink)
    I assume the Firepod installer should include/correctly install an ASIO driver - how did you (re)in stall it?
    LeePerry
    RE: Sonar 7 crashes while booting 2007/11/06 12:39:49 (permalink)
    i reinstaled it by deleting the device in the device manager, and then reconnect it, then letting windows install the driver for the connected device. I ll try to delete all of the Firepod software via systempreferences - software.

What is strange to me is, that all other Apps recognize the Driver, but perhaps Sonar is a bit picky there? I ll keep trying, hopefully i will be making music again soon...
    kp
    RE: Sonar 7 crashes while booting 2007/11/06 17:39:57 (permalink)
    If there's nothing in that ASIO key, nothing should recognise the device. You may need to run some installer exe that ca,e with it - depends on soundcard though (sorry - no idea at this stage).
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1