Sonar 7/Vista - audio drivers and sync problems

Author
Kimbo
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
2007/11/14 05:25:14 (permalink)

Sonar 7/Vista - audio drivers and sync problems

I’ve just bought a new PC, running Vista Ultimate, and have loaded a fresh out of the box copy of Sonar 7 Studio, and the 7.1 patch. Am now suffering 2 problems, which may be related, so I’ll cover them both here – sorry if these topics have been covered before, newbie to this forum.

Problem 1 - Audio drivers – when firing up Sonar I get a message saying “no audio input devices available, go to options/audio and select one” – I’ve read the hardware setup guide and have set the Playback and Recording Driver Mode to MME – but going to the Drivers tab, there are no input audio devices to select – output, yes, but no input. I’ve reloaded the Realtek drivers, and have uninstalled/reinstalled Sonar, plus the patch, but the results the same, no audio drivers. All other programs requring audio work fine – previously recorded Pro Audio 9 projects playback OK (apart from the problem below) - I can even audio record files using Creative Wavestudio, but not Sonar.
Checking the AUD.INI file it has entries pointing AliasOutput and AliasInput to the Realtek drivers (although half the file seems to be missing tonight, for some reason) – and going to Options/Initialisation File brings up the editor dialog box, but no entries are shown – is this correct – makes me think that Sonar’s not picking up the AUD.INI file for some reason – which currently lives in the AppData/Roaming/Cakewalk/SONAR 7 Studio Edition – is that the right location ?, I used all the default settings when Sonar installed so I’d expect it to be in the right place.

Problem 2 - Audio/Midi sync – when loading previously recorded projects (Cakewalk Pro Audio 9) the midi tracks are sync-ed, the aduio tracks are sync-ed, but the mid and audio tracks, played together, are out of sync. May well be related to the above audio drivers problem.

Suspect I might have to buy a dedicated audio card, but surely someone can confirm whether this is just a config/install problem or realted to the integrated motherboard/audio on my PC.

Any ideas – this is really beginning to piss me off, so all constructive suggestions (excluding go back to XP) will be welcomed. No wailing on guitar makes Kimbo very depressed.
post edited by Kimbo - 2007/11/14 05:38:25

Win 8.1 64-bit 16Gb RAM AMD A6-6400K 3.9Ghz
Sonar X3d Producer
TASCAM US-122L

14 Replies Related Threads

gordonrussell76
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1879
    RE: Sonar 7/Vista - audio drivers and sync problems 2007/11/14 07:10:06 (permalink)
    You ahve pretty much identified two options

1) Get a dedicated soundcard (make sure its Vista compatable drivers, there is alist of them on the Cakewalk webpage in the Vista section)

2) Go back to Xp

There are a couple more that may help you.

3) Get Asio4All some people find that helps em. Have no idea whether it will work in Vista, but its an avenue to try

4) Check its not a DRM issue, Vista is pretty hot on closing down potential opportunities for piracy and may have determined that that audio path is naughty.

Personally I would get yourself a dedicated Soundcard, not just to solve this problem but becuase it will bring many other benefits over the years.
    syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Sonar 7/Vista - audio drivers and sync problems 2007/11/14 07:22:11 (permalink)
    This is an issue with the onboard sound that you have in your computer. The realtek drivers are the problem, if you remove them , then install asio4all, you should be good to go. That being said, there is little point to using something like Sonar with consumer sound interfaces, especially those of the onboard sound variety. It really would be better if you splash out and get a reasonable audio interface, for example, the emu 0404 PCI soundcard should work ok in Vista, but the drivers are still currently at the beta stage, but it is public and most people find them stable. If your budget can stretch a bit more then you will get a better payback with regards to quality of features.
    musicmanrdu
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Sonar 7/Vista - audio drivers and sync problems 2007/11/14 09:06:28 (permalink)
    I had the same issue with the SoundMax drivers that came on-board with my ASUS motherboard. Sometimes, I don't feel like firing up my MOTU and most of my work is softsynths anyway, so the on-board sound is a quick alternative to get up and running. But they are a no go with Sonar 6 and the on-board drivers. I think I'll try ASIO4ALL and see how that does. Thanks for the tip Stuart.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 64-bit, MOTU Traveler, Core i7-3770,  8 GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 750 Ti, 240 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (OS drive), 240 GB Samsung 840 series (sample drive). Facebook
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Sonar 7/Vista - audio drivers and sync problems 2007/11/14 10:53:00 (permalink)
    I don't feel like firing up my MOTU

and you use your onboard instead and your having problems with it.
    Why arent you using the motu??? Give it to me or donate it
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Sonar 7/Vista - audio drivers and sync problems 2007/11/14 14:57:06 (permalink)
    Anyone thinking of upgrading an existing system to Vista should first download and run the Vista Compatibility Advisor available for free from the Microsoft website. It will identify potential hardware and software problems.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Kimbo
    RE: Sonar 7/Vista - audio drivers and sync problems 2007/11/15 04:53:30 (permalink)
    Thanks folks - believe me I realise the benefits of a seperate soundcard, and will probably end up going down that path - but just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something real dumb, and didn't want to lose the front panel connectors, (which will happen if I go the separate board route) and have to also buy an interface box to avoid plugging and unplugging at the rear.

Ah well, **** happens - I'll try the ASIO route first and new board.

Thanks for your help, will let you know how I go.

Cheers ... Kimbo

Sonar X3d Producer
    TASCAM US-122L
    musicmanrdu
    RE: Sonar 7/Vista - audio drivers and sync problems 2007/11/15 10:27:43 (permalink)
    Kimbo,

The ASIO4ALL program worked beautifully for me. Make sure you check out the FAQ on the website first. I had to check the "Always Resample 44.1KHz" option to get any sound out of my on-board SoundMax audio. Thanks again for the tip guys.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 64-bit, MOTU Traveler, Core i7-3770,  8 GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 750 Ti, 240 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (OS drive), 240 GB Samsung 840 series (sample drive). Facebook
    Kimbo
    RE: Sonar 7/Vista - audio drivers and sync problems 2007/11/16 04:58:21 (permalink)
    Weeelll, looks like I may have solved at least 1 of the problems - input audio drivers. I read somewhere about a similar problem (different package, PC, O/S, sound card etc.,) where the recommendation was to disable and re-enable the sound controller in the Device Manager. I've just done that, and rebooted, and lo and behold - the audio input drivers have reappeared and can now be selected from the Options/Audio menu, and therefore I can finally record vocals and guitar again. Can't vouch for the quality of the recording at this stage, as I've got to get a 1/4" to 1/8" stero convertor to use my good mic - but, bonus, I have discovered that the crappy standard combo mic/headset gives a really great flat "talking down a toilet roll" sound.

Thanks to all for the advice - might try the ASIO route if this proves unstable or poor quality.

Cheers ... Kim

Sonar X3d Producer
    TASCAM US-122L
    Kimbo
    RE: Sonar 7/Vista - audio drivers and sync problems 2007/11/16 06:13:20 (permalink)
    Ha - no, that was not the problem/solution, however, I now know truely what the problem is - the audio drivers are only enabled when something is plugged into them. Now whether this is a Vista or Dell problem I've yet to discover, but I'll let you know if I get to the bottom of it.

So, as the speakers are always plugged in, the drivers are always there. The mic in only plugged when I want to use it, and therefore the drivers are only enabled when that occurs. Sonar picks up the available drivers when it starts up, so to ensure that the input audio drivers in Sonar are detected correctly, in my situation, something must be plugged into the input audio/mic socket BEFORE you start Sonar - connecting something to it after you've started Sonar wil not cause the drivers to be detected.

Hope that helps someone.

Kimbo

Sonar X3d Producer
    TASCAM US-122L
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar 7/Vista - audio drivers and sync problems 2007/11/16 09:17:27 (permalink)
    Ha - no, that was not the problem/solution, however, I now know truely what the problem is - the audio drivers are only enabled when something is plugged into them. Now whether this is a Vista or Dell problem I've yet to discover, but I'll let you know if I get to the bottom of it.

This is your problem, like it or not
    Integrated Realtek HD Audio and Audigy s/w

You said you have a Motu, why use this and waste a week trying to use it when you have a motu. Disable both of those cards and instal the motu vista driver and start recording. Why fight it. The 2 cards your fighting with will always make you struggle with them.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    musicmanrdu
    RE: Sonar 7/Vista - audio drivers and sync problems 2007/11/16 09:39:25 (permalink)
    OK CJ, no offense dude but you're missing the point of this post. Don't get your feathers all up in a ruffle

I'M the one with the MOTU interface, not Kimbo, and I use both my integrated sound and my MOTU. My integrated sound is dedicated to Windows Sounds and multimedia applications. My MOTU is dedicated to Sonar.

I think Kimbo has something here. I unplugged my speakers from my integrated sound last night to do some maintenance on my PC. I didn't plug it back in and didn't get any sound when Vista booted up. OK, no big deal, that is to be expected, right? So I plugged in the speakers and guess what? No sound. I looked in the Windows sound properties box and discovered that my playback integrated sound driver is disabled as Kimbo had mentioned above. I rebooted Vista and, lo and behold, now I have sound. So apparently, Vista has to "see" that something is plugged into the integrated sound ports in order for them to be recognized by Vista and if you are using integrated sound exclusively, Sonar as well.

CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar 7/Vista - audio drivers and sync problems 2007/11/16 09:42:26 (permalink)
    no offence taken. i just worked an all nighter.....Im not all here
    Cj

Audio Blog
    norwalk
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Sonar 7/Vista - audio drivers and sync problems 2007/11/16 11:22:33 (permalink)
    well at this point, i feel '' kind'' of flattered that some one haves my same issue, the deal is im pretty much a newbie also and the first i launch sonar i had the exact same problem. Im running Sonar on my laptop which haves windows vista home premium from fabric, so im on the same point of thinking if im doing something wrong or i have to buy a sound card in order to hear something.

thanks for the attention in the post .

Kimbo
    RE: Sonar 7/Vista - audio drivers and sync problems 2007/11/16 18:14:21 (permalink)
    CJ take a chill pill and go to sleep;
    Musciman thanks for the support, and yes, exactly right. And you've also clarified whether it's a Vista or Dell issue, as we have different brands, but the same prob
    Norwalk, I was in the same situation, but I've got a cheap streak in me that says "this should work and you don't have to go and buy a new card, purely to get it to work" (yes CJ, before you start, we all agree it would be a better way to go). I was using ProAudio 9, XP Pro and Soundblaster 5.1 Live before, and never had anything like this, is was literally plug 'n play - I was convinced that this should work, just couldn't figure out how.

Glad I could help

Cheers ... Kimbo

Sonar X3d Producer
    TASCAM US-122L
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1