Fiddle soundfont or sample

Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
2008/04/13 10:08:46
Does anyone know of a GOOD free one--or at least one (for sale) that doesn't come bundled with tons of other sounds I don't need?
Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
RE: Fiddle soundfont or sample 2008/04/13 14:07:40
Looked for one earlier in vain - apparently it's pretty hard to get right. Found this new one, tho: it's not free, but not expensive either, and sounds as if it could be tweaked for Western purposes as well - its a Matouqin, a Mongolian Horse Fiddle VST (I know a few others of theirs, pretty good stuff): Has a Chinese introduction video with English subtitles:

http://making-music.blogspot.com/2007/12/instrument-kong-audio-matouqin-vsti.html
Mamabear
RE: Fiddle soundfont or sample 2008/04/13 15:01:32
Thanks for that, Rob. It was interesting seeing the video in Chinese--or Mongolian--whatever it was. Looks pretty amazing! I also found one Big Fish Audio called Whole Lotta Country Audio Loops that includes a fiddle. It's about the same price as this one and I'd get more instruments. Maybe I'll just have to break down and buy it. I've tried several other sites, too--you're right--it must be hard to get right! Appreciate the tip!
daveny5
RE: Fiddle soundfont or sample 2008/04/13 22:26:19
I found one HERE.

Keep in mind a fiddle is just a violin played in a different style, so as with most synthesized instruments, how you "play" it is as important as having a good sample. Fiddle players use a lot of double stops and glissandi (portamento) so you may need to do a lot of work to get it to sound realistic.
Mamabear
RE: Fiddle soundfont or sample 2008/04/13 22:41:32
I found that too, Dave, but don't know how to insert it. I'll look into it more. But I learned a few things by googling double stops and glissando. Thanks for those tips! Appreciate it!
RobertB
RE: Fiddle soundfont or sample 2008/04/13 23:42:01
I've been thinking today that the difference is just as Dave says, more in playing technique.
I've been "fiddling" with DSK Strings and the SI strings, and it seems there may be some workable sounds there.
I have a guitar TAB program that writes a MIDI file to go along with the TABs. It does hammer-ons, trems, bends, glis, etc., and I'm going to try and run one of these MIDI tracks through SI Strings.
I'll let you know what happens.
Mamabear
RE: Fiddle soundfont or sample 2008/04/13 23:43:49
Thanks, Bob. You always come thru!
Beagle
RE: Fiddle soundfont or sample 2008/04/14 02:25:52
ORIGINAL: Mamabear

I found that too, Dave, but don't know how to insert it. I'll look into it more. But I learned a few things by googling double stops and glissando. Thanks for those tips! Appreciate it!

that link which Dave gave you points to downloads of sf2 files. you can open those with the rgc:audio SFZ player.

In fact, you can probably open them with DimLE, too.
post edited by Beagle - 2008/04/14 02:44:20
Mamabear
RE: Fiddle soundfont or sample 2008/04/14 09:36:40
Thanks Reece. I 'fiddled' with that font a little bit and it might be usable. It definitely gets better when I add reverb, so maybe it's possible if I just take more time with it. I'll wait and see what Rob comes up with too. I just feel like wasting more time with a song that features a fiddle for some odd reason.
Nikolas
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
RE: Fiddle soundfont or sample 2008/04/14 12:35:28
I play a real fiddle and I still can't get it to sound right!
Mamabear
RE: Fiddle soundfont or sample 2008/04/14 12:38:06
Ha! It's still better than my attempts with midi. And I have the same problem with piano too.
boten
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
RE: Fiddle soundfont or sample 2008/04/14 12:55:20
These are great. Only thing is you need to have the patience to download and map them.

http://theremin.music.uiowa.edu/MIS.violin.html
Mamabear
RE: Fiddle soundfont or sample 2008/04/14 12:57:18
Map them? Another new technique to learn. I'll look that one up if nothing else works. I appreciate it!
boten
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
RE: Fiddle soundfont or sample 2008/04/14 13:30:28
Well, you asked for samples, so in order to be able to use them, you need to map them in your sampler. It's not a big issue though, this sample set is small. I downloaded the piano samples on the same web site and it took me a week to get it done .
One more thing, the samples are in AIFF format (Mac) so if your sampler doesn't accept this format you will have to convert them first to WAV.