Creative ASIO warning

Author
RWJames
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 202
2008/05/12 22:04:18 (permalink)

Creative ASIO warning

On the advice of others here, I changed my drivers to ASIO - and it seems to be working fine.

However I get this warning message every time I start up Sonar

"There are no Creative audio products installed running on the system that support ASIO"

Very true. I used to have a Soundblaster card and I have removed it (and I thought the associated software) and I am now using an M Audio Delta 44. Is there a way to get rid of this warning? Or should I just learn to live with it?

17 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Creative ASIO warning 2008/05/12 23:16:26 (permalink)
    if you have uninstalled all of the creative and soundblaster software using the WINDOWS CONTROL PANEL and are still getting this message, then you'll probably have to edit the registry in order to stop the message. but I'm not sure exactly what you need to edit out to get it to stop. you'd probably have to go to a creative forum and ask them.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: Creative ASIO warning 2008/05/13 01:05:05 (permalink)
    http://www.abexo.com/free-registry-cleaner.htm

Download and use the free registry cleaner above.

I have used it for a little over 2 years without a glitch ........

It has beeen safe and effective...........

I run it after all uninstalls or file deletions..........

However use it at YOUR risk............

Good luck.
    RWJames
    RE: Creative ASIO warning 2008/05/13 08:09:51 (permalink)
    Checked Control Panel and found "Creative Driver" - but I couldn't delete it because windows couldn't find the install )or something like that)

I downloaded the registry cleaner and ran it. It created a list with over 1000 members - I deleted it. Everything seems to be working, but I'm still getting the ASIO warning.

I tried rebooting - I got a strange message about installing trayapps - deleted it through task manager - but I'm not sure this is related.

Still got the ASIO warning - but everything else seems to work.
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Creative ASIO warning 2008/05/13 11:12:04 (permalink)
    RW James

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

try running the registry tab, see if it finds orphaned files..

it don't sound like it's done a clean un install of the drivers + additional software...

might want to look in the startup tab in ccleaner, see if it mentions anything relating to that.. maybe something is sitting in there still.

some companies make their products a pain to remove though.

it's a task running though... identify it.. close it.

see if you can find a folder creative labs, and wipe it.. when u do a registry scan with ccleaner it should find the file is orphaned and fix it..
    (i hate resorting to that method , but have had to with other things in the past)
    post edited by Fog - 2008/05/13 11:14:49
    RWJames
    RE: Creative ASIO warning 2008/05/14 09:51:38 (permalink)
    I think I'm done playing with the registry. I was able to fix the trayapp problem (found it on my HP printer disk) but then I got an unhandled exception which required restoring some of the registry items I had deleted. In any case, deleting all that stuff didn't make a difference.

I think it has something to with my Audigy card being OEM and probably with elements permanently locked into the system somehow. I think I can live with this.
    Fog
    RE: Creative ASIO warning 2008/05/14 10:06:06 (permalink)
    RWJames, well if it's OEM it don't matter.. it's not onboard is it? you don't say what model it is , so makes it a bit tricky.

have a look here.. follow the steps

http://ask.europe.creative.com/wwenglish/audio_int/uninstall_audio.htm

perhaps have a look in your c:\program files folder.. see if there is any creative labs stuff left in there..

normally CT something or other, years since I used creative stuff.

see if theres any files left in there.. me I'd just remove it if i was 100% sure it was creative labs folder

then as said before run ccleaner.. it should pinpoint the files that are missing registry wise.. if however it says it can't remove a file coz it's in use..

boot in safe mode, and you should be able to remove it that way..

post edited by Fog - 2008/05/14 10:42:01
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Creative ASIO warning 2008/05/14 10:15:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RWJames

I think it has something to with my Audigy card being OEM and probably with elements permanently locked into the system somehow. I think I can live with this.

No, that is not the case (with ANY soundcard)...

Have you gone to Options-->Audio-->Drivers and deselected (unchecked) all the boxes that relate to SoundBlaster or Creative Audio?

How did you remove the soundcard and its software? (What "uninstall" function did you use?) If you uninstalled the device improperly that's why Control Panel won't let you uninstall it again!

You may need to uninstall SONAR, do a System Restore/Recovery to get the SB card back online so you can properly remove it, then reinstall SONAR so it will only see the M-Audio soundcard.

There is no reason you should have to "live with" a permanent error message everytime you open SONAR. In fact, it is most undesirable as there could be underlying artifacts related to the error that may create more problems! Get it fixed and be done with it.

Regards,
    Papa
    tmossman
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: Creative ASIO warning 2008/05/14 12:11:56 (permalink)
    I had the same problem. My solution was to delete Creative ASIO references under Local machine\Software\ASIO in my registry. Never saw the message again. Only perform this if you are comfortable messing with the registry.
    RWJames
    RE: Creative ASIO warning 2008/05/14 15:21:30 (permalink)
    I found a Soundblaster Audigy program in the the Control Panel software list and removed that... I found some Creative folders in the HP/Audio/Drivers directory and deleted those - no change.

In the middle of all this I clobbered Sonar and had to uninstall and install again.

I did a search for file names with ASIO in it and found a couple of possibilities

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctasio.dll and ctedasio.dll

Do either of those look like they might be from Creative? They are duplicated in backup directories and a few temp directories.

Should I delete one - or both?

There is also a deltasio.dll which I assume is for my M Audio Delta 44
    papa2004
    RE: Creative ASIO warning 2008/05/14 15:25:24 (permalink)
    The "ct" .dll files are both Soundblaster related.

Still, you haven't said whether you've tried my suggestions above...What I'm trying to suggest is that registry edits may NOT be needed if you configure SONAR properly...
    post edited by papa2004 - 2008/05/14 15:46:20

Regards,
    Papa
    RWJames
    RE: Creative ASIO warning 2008/05/14 16:09:23 (permalink)
    Sorry... here are the answers
    ORIGINAL: papa2004
    Have you gone to Options-->Audio-->Drivers and deselected (unchecked) all the boxes that relate to SoundBlaster or Creative Audio?

The only drivers listed are for my M Audio (I either deleted the Creative entries previously, or they were omitted when I re-installed Sonar)

How did you remove the soundcard and its software? (What "uninstall" function did you use?) If you uninstalled the device improperly that's why Control Panel won't let you uninstall it again!

I used the Control Panel - Remove Software feature. Everything is gone from that list now.

You may need to uninstall SONAR, do a System Restore/Recovery to get the SB card back online so you can properly remove it, then reinstall SONAR so it will only see the M-Audio soundcard.

I would like to hold this as a very last resort. It sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth.

There is no reason you should have to "live with" a permanent error message everytime you open SONAR. In fact, it is most undesirable as there could be underlying artifacts related to the error that may create more problems! Get it fixed and be done with it.

I can appreciate the potential hazard, and quite honestly I hadn't considered it.

I've tried everything I can within Sonar - unless there is something else I don't know about.

So do you think deleting the dll files would do the trick?
    papa2004
    RE: Creative ASIO warning 2008/05/14 16:18:10 (permalink)
    If there are absolutely NO references to Creative or Soundblaster drivers in SONAR's audio drivers menu it should not be looking for any or creating any error messages.

You should be able to safely delete any files that refer to Creative or Soundblaster. I've about decided that SONAR isn't looking for a Creative file, but some remnant of Soundblaster is...Until you completely rid your system of all things "Creative" you're probably going to contine to have the problem.

Regards,
    Papa
    RWJames
    RE: Creative ASIO warning 2008/05/14 17:13:23 (permalink)

If there are absolutely NO references to Creative or Soundblaster drivers in SONAR's audio drivers menu it should not be looking for any or creating any error messages.

You should be able to safely delete any files that refer to Creative or Soundblaster. I've about decided that SONAR isn't looking for a Creative file, but some remnant of Soundblaster is...Until you completely rid your system of all things "Creative" you're probably going to contine to have the problem.

so I should be safe deleting ctasio.dll in the system32 directory? Can I (or should I) leave it in the backup or temp directories?
    Fog
    RE: Creative ASIO warning 2008/05/14 17:23:41 (permalink)

so I should be safe deleting ctasio.dll in the system32 directory? Can I (or should I) leave it in the backup or temp directories?

i normally rename files , and put a Z in front..

and then use the ccleaner thing again, registry bit , but that's entirely up to you.

as for sonar, I had 2 cards plugged in .. would always default to one, so unticking the first one allowed me to tick the second one.

RWJames
    RE: Creative ASIO warning 2008/05/14 17:28:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

i normally rename files , and put a Z in front..

and then use the ccleaner thing again, registry bit , but that's entirely up to you.

as for sonar, I had 2 cards plugged in .. would always default to one, so unticking the first one allowed me to tick the second one.

That's a good idea (renaming) - I'll try that. (Note: I recently retired as a mainframe systems programmer, and that was a trick I used a lot - but all that has been purged from my memory )

As for keeping two cards in - I had considered that, but I had read here that Soundblaster doesn't play well with others and won't let anyone else be the default. So I just removed it.
    RWJames
    RE: Creative ASIO warning 2008/05/14 17:37:54 (permalink)
    IT WORKED!

Thanks everyone for all your help.
    papa2004
    RE: Creative ASIO warning 2008/05/15 09:04:57 (permalink)
    Glad you were able to resolve the issues...

Regards,
    Papa
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1