how to fully turn off antivirus

Author
ear noise
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
2008/08/01 21:16:19 (permalink)

how to fully turn off antivirus

I've tryed to turn off my Norton's internet security but I still see action on it in the icon in the lower left of the screen. Anyone have any ideas on on fully turning this off while I am diconnected from the web?
I had also thought about dual booting but was going to try this first. What is the best source to learn about setting up a dual boot and are there any how to threads here. I researched this forum and saw about as many pros as cons to it. This will be my primary computer (VISTA home) and a dedicated DAW is not in the budget in the near future. I normally try to research my topics before I post but my battrery is begining to run low and.......... Anyways I'll try to get back on tomorrow and do some more research.

24 Replies Related Threads

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/01 21:23:46 (permalink)
    AVG is free and you can turn off "Resident Shield" at any time.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/01 22:37:22 (permalink)
    Get rid of Norton. It finds it's way into every little crevice of your PC. It's a heavy program and damn near impossible to remove without totally reformatting your hard drive.
    Norton itself is like a virus.
    Like Philip mentioned, get Grisoft AVG (free or paid). It's much lighter and I never needed to turn it off to work in Sonar. I even tried running a scan while recording and playback with no problem. I don't recommend working like that but I wanted to see if it would work.

Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    seskanda
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/02 02:11:35 (permalink)
    I'm an IT guy, and i tell everyone NEVER install anything called 'Norton', instead get 'Symantec' products. Symantec is NOT the same as Norton, and is better than Nod32, Kaspersky, Mcafee, BitDefender, and just about ALL the rest.
    DW_Mike
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/02 11:53:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: seskanda

I'm an IT guy, and i tell everyone NEVER install anything called 'Norton', instead get 'Symantec' products. Symantec is NOT the same as Norton, and is better than Nod32, Kaspersky, Mcafee, BitDefender, and just about ALL the rest.

Symantic is the same as Norton in the respect that it works it's way into every nook and cranny of your PC and is just about impossible to remove without a total re-format and re-installation of your OS.
    I had Symantic and it slowed my system down to where it was too annoying to do anything else while it was running it's scan.
    I highly recommend staying far away from all Norton and Symantic products.
    Just about every PC guru I've run into or talked to recommended re-formating to clean my system of Norton/Symantic and install AVG.
    I gave AVG a trial run and it found several issues that Symantic didn't find. So I took their advice and never looked back. Not one issue or bogged down system since.

Mike

GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/02 17:00:43 (permalink)
    I had Semantic installed also; AKG support hinted to me that it could not be turned off and 'confessed' their use of AVG instead.
    I seemed to be able to uninstall without noticeable glitches.

Personally, I could not tell the difference (on my system) between the 2 ... as to which is actually better with S7. Much of my 'screaches', 'crackling and pops', 'crashes', etc., were due to a 'dying motherboard' ultimately.

AVG does consume precious resources during scheduled scanning (expected); I'm a happy camper with AVG for about 6 months now.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    ear noise
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/03 16:35:02 (permalink)
    Changing AV programs is not an option for me as I am required to have it on my computer for work.
    seskanda
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/04 02:24:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: chefmike8888

Symantic is the same as Norton in the respect that it works it's way into every nook and cranny of your PC and is just about impossible to remove without a total re-format and re-installation of your OS.
    I had Symantic and it slowed my system down to where it was too annoying to do anything else while it was running it's scan.
    I highly recommend staying far away from all Norton and Symantic products.
    Just about every PC guru I've run into or talked to recommended re-formating to clean my system of Norton/Symantic and install AVG.
    I gave AVG a trial run and it found several issues that Symantic didn't find. So I took their advice and never looked back. Not one issue or bogged down system since.

Mike

I've NEVER heard of Symantic, but Symantec is considered top of the line. I am specifically referring to Symantec Anti-Virus CORPORATE edition. I can't vouch for internet security suites. I mean they have anti-virus, anti-spam, parental control, firewall, and other features which obviously MUST take up loads of RAM altogether.

ORIGINAL: ear noise

Changing AV programs is not an option for me as I am required to have it on my computer for work.

Then why did you disable it in the first place? Tell your employer to use Symantec Anti-Virus CORPORATE instead.
    DW_Mike
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/04 12:46:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: seskanda

I've NEVER heard of Symantic, but Symantec is considered top of the line. I am specifically referring to Symantec Anti-Virus CORPORATE edition. I can't vouch for internet security suites. I mean they have anti-virus, anti-spam, parental control, firewall, and other features which obviously MUST take up loads of RAM altogether.

Symantic - Symantec, it's all semantics .
    I've only tried their internet security crap. I didn't even know about the Corporate end of the product line. If it's much less of a resource hog, that's good to know.

Mike

GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/04 13:44:36 (permalink)
    Get rid of Norton.

+1 to that! Norton is itself a virus.

I'd rephrase Mike's suggestion as "Get rid of Norton -- if you can!"

And Symantec does equal Norton. Norton Anti-virus was once a respectable utility before it was bought by Symantec, I think primarily to remove Symantec's main competitor from the marketplace. The company's products are designed with two assumptions paramount: 1) you, the user, are an idiot and 2) Norton is the most important piece of software on your computer.

Mmm, I just saw your subsequent post, in which you stated that Norton is a requirement. That's too bad. Well, the next best thing is to turn off the resident scan feature. That's the part that's going to mess you up, as Norton insists on scanning every file that any program opens. I deal with this crap daily, in my other life as an application developer and database designer. You should be able to explicitly exempt all of the Cakewalk files and folders from scanning, if nothing else.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/04 19:08:16 (permalink)
    having used symantec, AVG, F-Secure, McAfee and others (and now - no AV whatsoever), i would definitely have to say that of the lot, symantec/norton is probably the worst, then mcafee.

f-secure was light years better than mcafee and i preferred mcafee to symantec slightly, because mcafee could actually get rid of some viruses and their products were usable (although like symantec you could not install them without spending 6 hours in the registry). AVG is very good, it typically finds stuff that symantec and others won't and it uninstalls cleanly.

but my favorite AV is none at all. AV is reactive - you've already been compromised by the time it starts working. i think that within the next year or two AV products will begin to act more like UAC in Vista and zone alarm - they'll start asking you if such and such process should be allowed to run. also, a lot of what AV software does is going to start moving into "the cloud" - trend micro has a "web reputation" site that they use to stop some attacks before they start. since the web (surfing) is the number 1 source by far of infections now, and there are thousands of new variants appearing weekly, it makes sense to start looking at the source and deflecting attacks before they even get off the ground.

and instead of scanning every file with a subset of all signatures (that's right - real-time scans do not check for every last virus on the books or you would never get anything done), they could just send a quick request to a web site to determine if the page you requested has a bad reputation. it's fast and low-overhead.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/04 20:16:40 (permalink)
    I haven't seen anybody refer to Computer Associates security suite... Any thoughts on that? I use it on all my computers....I switched after Symantic raised their renewal fees up into the stratisphere... per computer... CA licensed all my computers under one license.

I can shut it off if I need to but have not found that to be necessary when working on music.

Just wondering your opinion of CA.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/04 20:48:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

I'd rephrase Mike's suggestion as "Get rid of Norton -- if you can!"

+1

Many Viruses are easier removed than that thing.

Not to mention the symptoms of running it are mostly worse than much of what it's meant to stop.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/04 20:56:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker
    I haven't seen anybody refer to Computer Associates security suite... Any thoughts on that? I use it on all my computers....I switched after Symantic raised their renewal fees up into the stratisphere... per computer... CA licensed all my computers under one license.

I can shut it off if I need to but have not found that to be necessary when working on music.

Just wondering your opinion of CA.

never used it. right now, the company itself seems to be too big to know what to do with itself.

- jack the ex-cynic
    ear noise
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/04 21:20:35 (permalink)
    I tryed turning off all scanning, updates, firewalls and my Icon would still show action. I'm going to go into services and try stopping all symantec programs and this should allow it to return to normal when I reboot. For that matter I might as well apply some of Black Vipers suggestions and see what servies I don't need.

If this does not yeild acceptable results would dual boot be a reliable option?
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/04 21:41:31 (permalink)
    Write yourself a simple batch file to stop all AV related stuff. (net stop <whatever>). Then you can just run the batch file as needed and simply reboot to restart everything. Just don't go get yourself a virus or your IT department will have your head.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/04 21:50:16 (permalink)
    you can try shutting off services but many corporate-level AV solutions (trend, mcafee, symantec) have policies in place to prohibit this. if it's norton as you say it may be possible to turn it off.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Freeze1st
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1213
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/04 23:56:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: chefmike8888

Get rid of Norton. It finds it's way into every little crevice of your PC. It's a heavy program and damn near impossible to remove without totally reformatting your hard drive.
    Norton itself is like a virus.
    Like Philip mentioned, get Grisoft AVG (free or paid). It's much lighter and I never needed to turn it off to work in Sonar. I even tried running a scan while recording and playback with no problem. I don't recommend working like that but I wanted to see if it would work.

Mike

I have to agree with you about Norton. I can't tell you how many times I have heard someone say what you are saying about it finding it's way into every little crevice on the PC. I've heard that everywhere. I think Norton's overpriced and just not that good. JMO. AVG is a good antivirus program.

Freeze1st

MC4,Bossbr1600,Maudio2496,Vista HP, Stinger Electric Guitar,New York Pro Bass, MXL V67
    direwolf
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/07 21:35:19 (permalink)
    Hello all,

I had problems with Norton before and did some research. They have removal tools on their website. the link is: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Hope this helps.

Mike
    Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/16 21:48:09 (permalink)
    1) Very happy with NOD32.

2) I went the dual-boot route and wished I had done so a couple of years earlier. It's amazing how smoothly things run on the DAW side w/o any AV or network stuff running.

Telecaster
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/16 23:53:58 (permalink)
    You could try Bullguard it gives you a 60 days trial, once you buy it you get a license for 3 pc's.

In respect of Symantec and Norton they are the same, Peter Norton should never have sold to Symantec or let them use his name.

Back in the eighties Norton utilities was the best tools on the market and they have saved me more than once, in fact I used Norton Commander just the other day working in DOS.
    Cheers
    Mike
    post edited by Telecaster - 2008/08/17 00:19:35

Cheers
    Mike
    PC I7 3770k, 16Gb ram build to Jim Roseberry specs.
    Sonar X3 PE, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 , Edirol PCR-800.
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/17 18:21:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ear noise

Errr... then what are you concerned with? Unless your job is as an audio engineer, should you not be doing work at your work, and not making music?

Norton is a Semantic product that goes beyond simple AV and tries to be a complete system maintenance "toolkit". All semantic products are massive bloatware that provides inferior protection. I would never recommend its use to any person or corporation.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/18 08:34:08 (permalink)
    Err...If a company supplies a PC including your own private use or it's a user PC being used on company business, don't you have a right to use it for whatever purpose you like.?..

The stipulation being if you synchronize your business files with the company's server you need to conform to their security minima...

Sound's about as difficult a scenario to comprehend as using a company car to take the kids out at the weekend...

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    ear noise
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/18 21:34:45 (permalink)
    The computer is mine but I am required to have nortons on it if I want to access the cooparate mainframe. Russell.Whaley what OS's are you using with your dual boot. This seems to be the way since services want let me turn off nortons.
    7-string_guy
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: how to fully turn off antivirus 2008/08/19 13:58:21 (permalink)
    i totally agree.

after my workplace spent thousands of dollars with service calls for viruses using norton/symantec, they called upon lonely me, the inferior worker to help with their pc problems. i had to wipe them down and reinstall the OS on every pc, but saved their data successfully. they laughed when i said free products such as avg and comodo do the trick well. so for 300 dollars cost to them, i fixed every one of their pcs while making my usual pitiful rate of 11.00, and they have not had one problem since.

get rid of norton/symantec and mcafee if you have them. viruses actually corrupt the anti-virus programs and let more of them in. they will never detect viruses after the first one corrupts it. not only are they hard to disable, but you need to wipe all instances out of the registry to fully disable it.

make sure you have a good firewall to compliment your anti-virus program. it will catch all traffic from ports these viruses assign to bring in more viruses.

i currently use Avg 8.0 and comodo firewall... use an older version of comodo...i do not recommend zone-alarm its buggy. find these at www.filehippo.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1