Vista and Sonar

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
2008/09/09 10:07:46 (permalink)

Vista and Sonar

I am pleased beyond anything I could have hoped. Vista is working not just well its working great. I was thinking that Vista would not support my old hardware. Well it does. And very nicely thank you. I am using Vista Ultimate 32 bit

I do have a question. I have a master.ini file that I want Sonar to use. So far I don't seem to find where it would go. I have gone to Program data and put it in the Cakewalk Sonar PE folder but it wont show up in Sonar. So any help here would be most appreciated.

Oh did I say Vista ROCKS? It does you know. Makes XP look old. Its fast too. Those that think it is a bad OS are wrong.

Best
John

144 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 10:23:33 (permalink)
    Oh did I say Vista ROCKS? It does you know. Makes XP look old. Its fast too. Those that think it is a bad OS are wrong.

This is the "New Toy Elation" phase soon to be followed by the "Buyer's Remorse" phase. After about the 20th time I got the warning that I was going to change the system on my wife's notebook, I lost all interest in installing it on my computer. Nobody said Vista didn't look good...its all the security crap that bugs me... and yes you can disable it, but it doesn't totally disable it and if you disable it, then you lose whatever benefit it provides. I think Microsoft has to go back to the drawing board on that. They have to make it more transparent to the user.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    garrigus
    • Total Posts : 8599
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 10:24:28 (permalink)
    Yep, I'm using Vista on my laptop and it's working really well.

You mean Master.INS not .INI, right?

In Vista, that file should go in this folder: C:\Users\[your Windows username]\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\SONAR 7 Producer Edition

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 7 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/ - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 10:32:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: daveny5

This is the "New Toy Elation" phase soon to be followed by the "Buyer's Remorse" phase. After about the 20th time I got the warning that I was going to change the system on my wife's notebook, I lost all interest in installing it on my computer. Nobody said Vista didn't look good...its all the security crap that bugs me... and yes you can disable it, but it doesn't totally disable it and if you disable it, then you lose whatever benefit it provides. I think Microsoft has to go back to the drawing board on that. They have to make it more transparent to the user.

Ah did you turn off that stuff? It it is not a bother to me because I turned it off.

Best
    John
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 10:34:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: garrigus

Yep, I'm using Vista on my laptop and it's working really well.

You mean Master.INS not .INI, right?

In Vista, that file should go in this folder: C:\Users\[your Windows username]\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\SONAR 7 Producer Edition

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 7 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/ - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

Thanks Scott. I never would have found that on my own. Yes I mean ins. LOL

Well as always Scott got it right. Thanks again.

You don't have a Vista Power book do you?
    post edited by John - 2008/09/09 10:41:59

Best
    John
    Mixotonic
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 10:54:02 (permalink)
    I've been saying Vista rocks to anyone that asks for at least 8 months. Yet we still have types like Dave that just can't take the 5 minutes it "may" take to set up an OS so that it suits them. But they seem to have plenty of time to bash it. Hint Dave- just turn off UAC. Why should it be a fault of Vista if you keep banging your head against a wall 20 times?
    post edited by Mixotonic - 2008/09/09 10:55:15

garrigus
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 11:00:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: John

Thanks Scott. I never would have found that on my own. Yes I mean ins. LOL

Well as always Scott got it right. Thanks again.

You don't have a Vista Power book do you?

Hey John,

Not yet. Maybe I should write one...

Glad I could help!
    Scott

--

garrigus
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 11:02:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mixotonic

I've been saying Vista rocks to anyone that asks for at least 8 months. Yet we still have types like Dave that just can't take the 5 minutes it "may" take to set up an OS so that it suits them. But they seem to have plenty of time to bash it. Hint Dave- just turn off UAC. Why should it be a fault of Vista if you keep banging your head against a wall 20 times?

There's one thing I don't like about Vista, but it mainly has to do with older software compatibility. That's one thing that XP is much better at doing. Other than that, Vista runs great as long as you have the drivers you need for the hardware you're using.

Scott

--

GMGM
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 494
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 11:07:59 (permalink)
    I happily run Vista on my HP notebook. I was eager to upgrade my desktop to Vista 64, until I learned that Windows 7 was just around the corner.

I know there is always something better on the horizon, but I have no complaints about XP (except for wanting to use more RAM maybe). I figured I may as well hold off, and upgrade my hardware at the same I go to Windows 7.
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 11:17:56 (permalink)
    There's one thing I don't like about Vista, but it mainly has to do with older software compatibility. That's one thing that XP is much better at doing. Other than that, Vista runs great as long as you have the drivers you need for the hardware you're using.

Scott

Thats the thing I was so worried about, drivers. Yet I had no issues at all. Vista found them all. I am talking about stuff I had no right to expect would work. A PCI 822 Tascam audio interface and the Emagic AMT 8. Both are working as well as ever under Vista. Actually, a little better.

Now I am really enjoying the gadgets too. They are very useful.

I guess if you have things setup well and let Vista do its thing it should do just find. Heck It an incompatibility with an Intel chip set. It found the proper drivers and all I had to do was sit back and watch it install them.

Right now I don't see a down side to this. It is faster in opening Sonar and is more responsive. What more can any one ask?

The thing is don't listen to all the stuff being offed as problems with it. No drivers for gear, poor program compatibility and so on.

What has been said here and other places about it is rather off putting. That is a real shame because its a real modern OS. It makes XP look and feel clunky. Sonar is very happy to have a nice new home.

Best
    John
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 11:43:10 (permalink)
    I am pleased beyond anything I could have hoped. Vista is working not just well its working great. I was thinking that Vista would not support my old hardware. Well it does. And very nicely thank you. I am using Vista Ultimate 32 bit

Welcome to the dark side John... Its funny, i recently built my a new DAW for myself and i now have XP. I did not change because vista was not working. It was just cheaper for me to get an OEM XP than vista. I had a set amount i wanted to spend and i put the bulk of tha into my Mobo, CPU, and Ram.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 11:47:18 (permalink)
    The neat thing is I can go back to XP by simply changing my disks. I can swap out Vista to XP with a mobile rack setup. I lose nothing when I do this. All data is on other drives.

In a way its like it was back in the floppy disk days.

Best
    John
    Mixotonic
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 11:50:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: John

Now I am really enjoying the gadgets too. They are very useful.

I love sidebar and the sticky note applet. After listening to a mix I use the note applet to write down my thoughts about what to do or try during the next session. Just so I don't forget.

CJaysMusic
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 11:51:54 (permalink)
    Those racks are cool. You should do a correlation between XP and vista with a project of yours. I know your currious....
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 12:05:57 (permalink)
    I love sidebar and the sticky note applet. After listening to a mix I use the note applet to write down my thoughts about what to do or try during the next session. Just so I don't forget.

Man thats a good idea. Thanks for the tip.
    Those racks are cool. You should do a correlation between XP and vista with a project of yours. I know your currious....
    Cj

I just may do that. See if it has a little more CPU issues. LOL.

But I have a lot of stuff still to do before I can get back to Sonar. Namely plugins have to be installed. That will not be fun.

Best
    John
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 12:12:35 (permalink)
    It took me 2 days to reinstall my plugins and make a custom plug in folder for them. Have fun and see you in 2 days...
    Cj

Audio Blog
    daveny5
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 12:19:23 (permalink)
    Yet we still have types like Dave that just can't take the 5 minutes it "may" take to set up an OS so that it suits them. But they seem to have plenty of time to bash it. Hint Dave- just turn off UAC.

I know how to setup an OS and my current computer that I built myself is a finely running machine. On my wife's Vista notebook, I've turned off UAC and that doesn't disable all the security checks and then it starts giving you warning messages that you have UAC turned off. Its really quite ridiculous. If you have to turn off the security features so you can use the computer, then what's the point of having them in the OS in the first place? I think the marketplace has spoken.... Vista was a flop. Hopefully Bill Gates gets his shorts out of his butt (I know he's no longer running Microsoft) and does a lot better job with the follow on product. Right now, Apple is kicking his ass and it pisses me off because I am a Microsoft stockholder.

post edited by daveny5 - 2008/09/09 12:20:49

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 12:31:14 (permalink)
    I just upgraded our HP laptop from Windows Media Edition to Vista Home Premium last week and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised with the OS. I haven't gotten around to installing any of my music programs on it yet, but the setup and networking with my desktop DAW went smoothly and quickly. My wife primarily uses the laptop and she really likes the gadgets and configure-ability of Vista. I'm going to install a handful of music apps (including Sonar and P5) on it this weekend so I can work on music in the living room while watching the Spartans win and the Lions lose (John knows what I'm talking about), so it's good to hear that Vista's playing nice with Sonar. But, I've got my XP-based desktop DAW running perfectly, so I'm going to stick with that OS on that computer for now.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 12:31:23 (permalink)
    HI Guys,
    for added clarity lets recall the facts..
    yes Vista works fine
    BUT unless you are using 64bit with 8 gig of ram you have now gone backwards in system resources.
    using vista 32 gave you less ability than XP Pro.
    and using 64bit well we all know the issues there.

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    Mixotonic
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 12:35:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: daveny5

If you have to turn off the security features so you can use the computer, then what's the point of having them in the OS in the first place? der.

I just mentioned it since you are complaining about it nagging you. FWIW I leave all that stuff on and Vista never bothers me since I rarely install stuff on my DAW once it is set up.

Surely you must have been nagged by the "unused desktop icons" popup in XP at some point...you probably disabled that feature. You can turn things off in Vista as well. Not so different really

John
    Forum Host
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 12:59:53 (permalink)
    HI Guys,
    yes Vista works fine
    BUT unless you are using 64bit with 8 gig of ram you have now gone backwards in system resources.

Maybe so I don't know but I have a good machine and further what I am really addressing here is the fear factor that so many threads and comments have made possible. It is a delight to find that all the negative comments have been way over done. We have given too much credence to those that have said awful things about Vista.

Even I was one that at one point agreed with the main flow of comments that were less then enthusiastic about it. I was wrong.

I have my Firefox going strong and Thunderbird working with ease. I am a very happy camper.

Don't forget every new OS needs more stuff to work well. XP was no different in this regard.

Best
    John
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 15:35:15 (permalink)
    for my 2 cents and whatever its worth ....

I like vista.. no problems.... though ia m running a on a quad and 4 gigs of ram.....

that being said...... we have to face it .... market wise visa is a flop -- me and Cj and a few others here like it... most dont like it....

reason I think it was a flop -- is that microsoft went about marketing it all wrong ...

here are the marketing mistakes as i see it....

Vista Marketing Mistakes
    1. we all knew vista was coming for at least a year before it was out...... so they they started putting stickers on all these machines they were trying to sell in the stores that said "VISTA COMPATABLE"....... when in reality with out a lot of ram or prcoessor speed -- you were bound to run into problems --- vista in my opinion isnt compatable with 512mb's of ram just because there is a sticker on there that says it is

2. Not enough information put out to the public about making sure the drivers of current hardware were available and up to date. Your average Joe Smoe doesnt think about this stuff. Heck Most of my family and friends dont even know what a driver is...... I think hardware companies wernt ready to produce drivers -- I dont think they ever are until there is a call for it.. then they catch up....BUT I think microsoft could have handle that type of info out to the gerneral public before hand... especially since your average Joe doesnt know.......

3. Vista Bugs. yeah vista had or maybe even has a few bugs in them ---- BUT because of the reasons stated above ... now the "usual" bugs in the new OS seem HUGE... becuase all these machines running on single processors.. with low ram .... and drivers that dont work ... now BUGS too! Oh man vista sucks.. how awful ... bad bad bad everyone rants... so number 3 is the straw that broke tha camels back

I like vista I have no problems at all -- i even tell my family and frineds vista is ok... then i try to explain everything above

I dont much or usually rant and rave ... I let everyone have ther own opinions becuase Ive found no matter what i say -- i dont USUALLY say enough to make someone change their minds....

But thats my 2 cents.... in a nut shell Vista was just marketed wrong .. is marketed a word? --- ehh
    post edited by Mooch4056 - 2008/09/09 15:37:21

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

John
    Forum Host
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 15:46:24 (permalink)
    I think you have a point but I also think there was a concerted effort to persuade people that Vista was bad. I wont say who but fruits come to mind.

Best
    John
    AJ_0000
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 738
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 16:36:29 (permalink)

...its all the security crap that bugs me... and yes you can disable it, but it doesn't totally disable it and if you disable it, then you lose whatever benefit it provides.

They put out an update late last year that reduced the amount of alerts. The only time I ever get them is when I install something, and you're going to be clicking through installation screens anyway, so it's just one extra click. No big deal.

I was eager to upgrade my desktop to Vista 64, until I learned that Windows 7 was just around the corner.

If you consider 2010 to be right around the corner. I'm an instinctive early adopter. XP is extremely old for an OS. Waiting for the next version will be the equivalent of somebody using Windows 3.1 until XP came out. It's that old.

HI Guys,
    yes Vista works fine

The resource load is relative. I'm using 32 bit with a Q6600 and 4GB RAM and a lot of resource-heavy plug-ins, and I haven't been able to make it gasp for air. It's also much more stable and reliable than XP.
    daveny5
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 16:50:53 (permalink)
    If you consider 2010 to be right around the corner. I'm an instinctive early adopter. XP is extremely old for an OS. Waiting for the next version will be the equivalent of somebody using Windows 3.1 until XP came out. It's that old.

Well, its not that old if you factor in all the patches and updates that Microsoft has released for it. And what's wrong with old as long as it does what you need it to do. Its just an operating system. I don't know of any Vista-only apps. What initially pissed me off with XP was that it made almost all of the software I had at the time useless and I had to spend a lot of money to buy upgrades to get them to work with XP. I had a QuickCam that never did get updated software and is in the junk drawer. I think MS might have learned a lesson from that. What pissed me off with Vista was the security crap and that they moved a lot of stuff around for no good reason and didn't give you an XP-like interface for those who didn't want to tackle the Vista learning curve. As I said, the marketplace voted... and Vista was not a success. The corporation I work for is not going to Vista any time soon and we have a lot of employees worldwide.

Someone said they liked the Gadgets in Vista. Well, get Google Desktop Sidebar. Same thing. There is just no compelling reason for me to upgrade to Vista and I've had almost every version of Windows since Windows286. I do plan to go with Windows7 (depending on how the early reports go). I really hope Microsoft learned its lesson. If not, my next computer could have an Apple on it.

Dave
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 16:52:28 (permalink)
    It is a delight to find that all the negative comments have been way over done. We have given too much credence to those that have said awful things about Vista.

Hi John,

Keep in mind you're now ~18 months *after* Vista was released.
    A *LOT* has changed in that time.
    The things that many of us "warned and complained about" were absolutely 100% true.
    Fast forward 18 months (SP1, lots of updates/patches/etc), and Vista runs right about neck and neck with WinXP.
    The downside: It does so with a larger memory footprint.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    twisted6s
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2001
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 16:54:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jcschild

HI Guys,
    yes Vista works fine

Ok here's my facts: I have had XP and now I have Vista. I've had Vista since March and I've had NO troubles with this OS. Yes I had less resources in my old XP computer but I USED alot less resources back then and XP would still freeze up or craash when I was using Sonar at 16 bit 44.1 khz with no more than 25 to 30 tracks with low resource using plugs every now and then. Now at 24 bit 88.2khz same amount of tracks and whatever plugins I want (with many, many instances of those plugins) this OS has never frozen or crashed and my resource meters are still at around 20% and all my hardware had drivers that were vista ready.
    Vista looks great and works great!!
    post edited by twisted6s - 2008/09/09 16:57:57

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
    https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 17:05:28 (permalink)
    XP would still freeze up or craash when I was using Sonar at 16 bit 44.1 khz with no more than 25 to 30 tracks with low resource using plugs every now and then.

FWIW, Those problems were not inherently due to Windows XP.
    It was a hardware/config issue.

The problem that many of us had with Vista was it was a major step backwards when working at really low-latency settings (especially with high system loads).
    As I said above, fast forward to now (~18 months after its release - SP1 and lots of patches/updates later)... and Vista runs pretty much neck-and-neck with WinXP... at the expense of a larger memory footprint.

With solid hardware/config, stability has not been an issue with either WinXP or Vista.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 17:21:51 (permalink)
    Indeed. It HAS been 18 months, after all.
    Looking back at early complaints now, and thinking of them as baseless or misinformed, or whatever, isn't completely fair.
    For some people with some setups it truly was a dog, and took a pretty long time to get patched by 3rd party developers and even MS.

However, I thought that this had sort of already been worked out.
    Meaning: Vista 32bit, once patched and on systems with solid drivers and apps and plugins, is known to work pretty well, particularly post SP1, but for some even before. You lose a little memory, which might matter to some sampler folks if their in 32bit land, but the performance and stability issues seem more solved than not.

I haven't heard many people saying otherwise recently... or, not as many of them.
    The negative Vista 32bit complaints seem to be in serious decline, which is a good thing, of course.

It's a strange thing to dissect, IMO, since there were a bunch of different groups of complaints:
    - folks who just don't like anything MS
    - folks who actually had issues
    - folks who were confused by the version maze, and hardware requirements, and ended up with not what they were expecting
    - folks who went 64bit, thinking it was about to take off
    - etc.

Some were valid... some weren't... some still are.

But I think the debate about Vista 32bit being a useless dog of an OS has pretty much ended.
    Vista 64, on the other hand.

- zevo

dappa1
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2949
    RE: Vista and Sonar 2008/09/09 17:23:25 (permalink)
    I turned off UAC quite a while ago it never annoys me to do anything Vista just keeps getting better I have mentioned that I have both XP and Vista but Vista is my 1yr old. All the complaints about Vista asking you questions in relation to the UAC i just dont get it unless mine is broke and feels to lazy to ask me anything. Strange seeing that i dont build comps I have mine running like a well lubricated machine.

ha haaaa!
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1