Motif ES-Rack + Studio Manager + Sonar

Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
2008/10/15 18:31:57

I would like to use my Motif ES-Rack and Studio Manager with Multi Part & Voice Editor(s) inside of Sonar

Connections:
Using a computer and an external MIDI
Keyboard together with Motif ES -Rack

Using a computer with sequencer to control the MOTIF Es Rack, you can connect an external MIDI keyboard to record
Note and other data (and even play back recorded data).
Set the “MIDI IN/OUT” parameter to “USB”
[UTILITY] MIDI display --“MIDI IN/OUT” = “USB”
when using the USB connector (“MIDI IN/OUT” is set to “USB”), the
MOTIF-RACK ES also receives and relays any data received via the MIDI
IN connector, and then data will be output from the USB port 1.
MIDI “Echo” on takes any data
received via the MIDI IN terminal and “echoes” it (or sends it as is)
through MIDI OUT.
Connected Midi Out of Controller to Midi IN of Motif

Multipart Editor
Problems are as follows-
Set Up Midi ports are not configured correctly, how should the Midi in remote set up be exactly??

Midi in Remote Port ====== ????????
Midi Out Remote Port ======????????
Midi In Port =========== ??????????
Midi Out Port ===========??????????

Voice Editor
Not many problems except I don’t have Instrument definitions loaded so I must page up or down using the pc + and – key while looking at the modules LCD as oppose to the editors window.

Part Mixer
Does Not Interact with Voice Editor=changes don’t carry over…….

Midi in Port………..Yamaha Motif-Rack ES-1
Midi Out Port……..Yamaha Motif-Rack ES-1

Configuring Studio Manager
Specific Midi Ports Ok , but Can not Synchronize with hardware
Bottom part is grayed out.
.Program Closes, must re-boot

Sonar with Motif ES Rack
Can only preview some of the sounds by scrolling thru the “patch” drop down…
I can save my selections in Sonar this way, but not sure this is the right way.

Any assistance with this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Sir Jammalot

Dual Core Pc
Windows XP Pro
Motu 896
M-Audio Delta 10/10
Digimax
Midi Man 4x4
M-Audio BX8 Monitors
Motif ES Rack
Mackie Control
M-Audio Axiom-61
M-Audio Ozone
M-Audio Trigger Finger
Ensoniq –TS 12
Sonar 6 Professional Edition

Jammalot 4 World Peace
‹(•¿•)›
jonnycakes15
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
RE: Motif ES-Rack + Studio Manager + Sonar 2008/10/15 19:37:56
I have the Motif ES-8 Workstation and Sonar. I just recently installed the software you are speaking of (Voice Editor, etc.) but not have had much of a chance to mess with it. I know that when you are using these apps in conjunction with Sonar, you have to open them within Sonar. For example, if you want to use Voice Editor, open and configure it(midi ports) in Sonar (not Studio Manager). This may be why this midi ports you speak of in Studio Manager are greyed out. In Sonar, I believe you go to "views" on the toolbar and then "... Editor" to open the Motif apps. I can't remember exactly off hand what it is called. I think there is a way to configure the midi ports in Voice or Multi within the app itself, after you open it in Sonar. Anyway, good luck and I hope this helps a little.
jammalot
RE: Motif ES-Rack + Studio Manager + Sonar 2008/10/23 23:11:16
JC,

Thanks for the response, I will give your suggestion a try...
ducatibruce2
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
RE: Motif ES-Rack + Studio Manager + Sonar 2008/10/24 01:01:22
The Midi Remote Ports are for control surface functionality in the keyboard Motif versions - on my setup they're shown as "not assigned", the others are set to Motif ES1 for In & Out.

Make sure the Device ID set in the setup screens matches the ID set on the Motif.

Latest USB drivers, Studio Manager, Editors & Librarians are available from http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/motif_series.html (from memory some of the earlier versions were a bit flaky).

Most of the time I use an Instrument Definition file in Sonar to control the Motif ESR, & only use the editors when I need to modify a patch or multi.

HTH
jammalot
RE: Motif ES-Rack + Studio Manager + Sonar 2008/10/25 00:18:59
The Midi Remote Ports are for control surface functionality in the keyboard Motif versions - on my setup they're shown as "not assigned", the others are set to Motif ES1 for In & Out.

Make sure the Device ID set in the setup screens matches the ID set on the Motif.

Latest USB drivers, Studio Manager, Editors & Librarians are available from http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/motif_series.html (from memory some of the earlier versions were a bit flaky).

Most of the time I use an Instrument Definition file in Sonar to control the Motif ESR, & only use the editors when I need to modify a patch or multi.

ducatibruce2,

Thanks for clearing up the midi remote port issue for me. Now it makes sense to not assign the remote ports because my remote controller is my Axiom-61. By the way, the sliders and knobs on the Axiom-61 work fantastically inside the Motif ESR; however I can not edit or access the “multi banks” from inside Sonar unless I physically change the hardware device from voice to multi on the front of the rack. I know I’m doing something wrong, just don’t know what it is………………….

I really like having the instrument definitions appear in Sonar, however, I can only see the names for the voice patches and not the multi patches. It would really be nice to get this set-up stuff right, because the sounds in the Motif ESR are very inspirational and trigger (no pun intended) some great ideas for writing songs.

I’m thinking of posting some “print screens” as jpegs here, so others can see how I have my Motif ESR set up with Sonar. Maybe some of the other users on this forum may be able to help me get this straight so I can use the features listed Studio Manager software.

At any rate, thanks again for your assistance with this matter.
ducatibruce2
RE: Motif ES-Rack + Studio Manager + Sonar 2008/10/25 01:31:05
Mode changes (Voice/Performance/Multi) can be done by sending sysex messages to the Motif ESR.
Here are the sysex codes that work for mode changes here:
Multi F0 43 10 7F 00 0A 00 01 03 F7
Performance F0 43 10 7F 00 0A 00 01 01 F7
Voice F0 43 10 7F 00 0A 00 01 00 F7

GM F0 7E 7F 09 01 F7.

My Motif is setup to boot into Multi mode since its the most common mode I use.

Multis & Performances can be selected by bank/patch change from Sonar instrument definition

Patch[8128]=Motif Rack ES Perform.
Patch[8129]=Motif Rack ES Multis

[Motif Rack ES Perform.]
0=1-Cyber Step Co SEQ
1=2-9Ft.Hammrz Co SEQ
2=3-Dynasty Co SPLIT
3=4-HyperComp Co SEQ
4=5-SambaMan Co SEQ
etc
[Motif Rack ES Multis]
0=Multi:Sequencer
1=Multi:Flip Hop
2=Multi:Hip Hop 1
3=Multi:Hip Hop 2
4=Multi:Disco
5=Multi:Funk 1
6=Multi:Funk2
etc in the appropriate parts of the INS file should work as it does here.

There's a copy of my default Motif ESR INS file here http://www.filefactory.com/file/17242c/n/Motif_Rack_ES_ins
It's reasonably standard, though it has stuff added for my PLG cards and a couple of other non standard things like Multi 0 is a blank multi I use with no patches loaded, no FX etc for controlling everything from inside Sonar). The INS file also has all the drum note names defined. Use it if you like or just pick bits that are handy.
(No responsibility taken for the inevitable typos in the INS file).

HTH

jammalot
RE: Motif ES-Rack + Studio Manager + Sonar 2008/11/04 02:18:10
ducatibruce2,

I am gonna wrap this around my head and hope it is absorbed into my brain as I follow these steps.

Thanks
ducatibruce2
RE: Motif ES-Rack + Studio Manager + Sonar 2008/11/04 04:34:41
No worries, let me know if you've any questions

On re-reading my post above - When I said
Multis & Performances can be selected by bank/patch change from Sonar instrument definition
I should have made it clearer that you can only select Multis from the INS file when when the Motif is in Multi mode & Performances when in Performance mode.

HTH