ARC system

Author
Art1820m
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 393
2008/11/12 06:01:27 (permalink)

ARC system

Is anyone familiar with ARC system? I take the measurements then I insert the plug in in the master bus, what happens is the panning changes, I have to pan the main master bus to about %40 right to get it right it in the center. That's with the ARC system on does anyone have this issue?

12 Replies Related Threads

koolkeys
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: ARC system 2008/11/12 06:05:05 (permalink)
    Is this with an already mixed song that you noticed this? I just got the system and will be setting it up soon for review, but I do know that it can drastically change how things sound and you may have to remix some things after using it.

But if it's just on any signal, I'm not sure yet. If you don't find an answer and I get it set up in time, I'll post back with suggestions.

Brent
    Art1820m
    RE: ARC system 2008/11/12 06:12:36 (permalink)
    It's not a mixed song yet because I'm just trying to see how it sounds and wow, ARC system is a very beautiful technology it sounds great. But that's the only thing I need to solve . With the pan all set to "0" even individual tracks it all sounds more to the left, the track meters show center but the master buss meter shows more to the left, with the ARC on
    Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    RE: ARC system 2008/11/12 07:56:52 (permalink)
    It sounds like you don't have the ARC system set up or configured correctly. I have
    not experienced any panning issues. Do you have the latest 1.02 update? You may want
    to read through this old thread for some tips about setting up and using the ARC system.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1254745&mpage=1&key=arc%2Csystem?

post edited by Billy Buck - 2008/11/12 07:57:15

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    RE: ARC system 2008/11/12 11:51:55 (permalink)
    It sounds like a few of your mic positions may not have been as symmetical as they could/should have been. You have to be super accurate with your placements. Also, if you do not have the latest update and are using old room corrections that were done using an older version of the software, phasing will sometimes occur. Quite a few things to take a look at here.

First, make sure when you do the room correction procedure, you use the lowest latency you can achieve in your asio control panel. From there, when you set your mic level make sure there is no signal showing on the meters when no sound is present. When you do the test signal, make sure the hottest bar lit up is just barely lighting up the "K" on "OK". No hotter and no lower.

From there, you MUST make sure that each mic placement is completely and perfectly symmetical and you should do at least 18 measurements. Also, make sure your mic is perfectly staight up and down, and get a mirror or have a friend position the mic so it is equal to your nose and ears. Make sure you get that first sweet spot area spot on and put the mic exactly where your ears would be in that position. Position 1 is VERY important as this is where your field starts, and is also where your level will be set.

For your placements, you can use a tape measurer combined with taped spots on your floor as guidelines. I can't stress how important your symmetrical mic placements have to be. A few inches off, too high or out of position and you will encounter phasing. Also, the latency and mic level thing are equally important. So make sure you revisit some of this stuff and maybe do another room correction or 2. The more precise you can be with your placements, the more accurate ARC will be for you. It took me about 10 tries to really get this right realisitcally. So give some of this a shot and get back to us. Good luck. :)
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2008/11/12 11:54:33

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    subtlearts
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2200
    RE: ARC system 2008/11/12 12:39:06 (permalink)
    1. What Danni said...

2. with the added testimony: ARC's handling of stereo image issues is actually (in my experience) one of its strongest suits - it audibly improves imaging in my small and asymmetrical room, creating a stronger center image and improving placement across the stereo field. But careful measuerment is essential. I taped a big piece of cardboard to my floor, carefully worked out and drew a center line, and plotted about 30 points out... takes a while but so worth it if you get it right...

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
    Art1820m
    RE: ARC system 2008/11/12 16:21:16 (permalink)
    Now it makes more sense I might of missed the part to place the microphone symmetrically. 1 more question,, does it matter what order you place the microphone after the mixing spot? for example, first would be were I mix in front of the monitors , then I would take the mic from the same position to the left , then to opposite right , then going backwards repeating the process.
    Dizzi45Z
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1040
    RE: ARC system 2008/11/12 16:56:50 (permalink)
    I have had the ARC system for sometime and I can get so frustrated with it for the exact reason the poster is mentioning. I will first get my listening position to sound as good as possible as far as speakers balanced in output and room treatment and everything. Next, I go through the ARC measurements and without fail, the panning always goes a little to the left when I turn on the plug-in. I measure symmetrically (however, not as precise as some of you sound like you have measured) and do about 16 measurements. However, I haven't tried lowering my latency yet (which is a way good idea).

I also don't know if I am sold on the ARC corrections. It always makes my mixes sound quite harsh and pull out any of the warmth from the mix. This might be a problem with my Tascam DM-3200 pre's. Maybe they aren't as "clean" as described and actually warmer which would cause this sort of problem. My only other preamp choices are my ADL 600 and Vintech 473 of which I think neither would be a good clean preamp to measure with.

Don't get me wrong, I use it all the time and get pretty good results on my final mixes, but I am currently trying to avoid using ARC and just getting my room right once and for all. I really wish that they would add a few more features such as:

1. An easy way to delete and rename the profiles without having to dig into folders.

2. An EQ which allows you to add bass or highs to the corrected signal. Or, an option to choose what percentage of correction you want. For example, I think it over corrects most systems I have tried it on. It would be nice to say only correct it 75% of the way.

3. I really really wish it would do one more measurement after the calculations to then give you the honest readout of what is really happening at your mix position with the corrections. Just because they can draw a white line across the middle after the calculations doesn't convice me that the corrected room is really that flat. I also think that would be a good time for it to double check and make sure it isn't pulling your stereo image to one side or another.

-Dave
    Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
    Sonar 8.5 , Melodyne Plug-in, Pro Tools 8 HD2,  Waves Platinum Bundle
    Tascam DM-3200 with IF-FW/DM mkII
    AMD 64 X2 4400
    Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.6 11GB Ram

deleter47
    • Total Posts : 379
    RE: ARC system 2008/11/12 19:42:33 (permalink)
    The first measurement is made with a tape measure.....dead center....home position...on the mic with the boom extended. Then I place the center of the mic stand in exactly the same position as the first measurement.......I use a boom with incremental markings on it, and swing it around like a compass needle. I pick out a mark like the edge of the speaker or the center of the speaker or a piece of tape on the wall 10" to the right or left of the speakers...ect....then I sight down the boom like aiming a gun at the target mark using the mic like a bead on a rifle. Left target then right target moving the boom out or in to approximate the marks in the little drawing......It's better to take at least 20 measurements which means you will have to make up some of your own.....I plotted mine out on paper before I started.

As far as E. Q. coloration I tried a couple of different mic pres and finally ended up using just a phantom power unit going directly into my sound card (Delta 1010)....the preamps seemed to color the sound and the resulting curve calculations.

Hope this helps.

" For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
    deleter47
    • Total Posts : 379
    RE: ARC system 2008/11/14 18:59:59 (permalink)
    P. S. I also took delivery of IKM's T-Racks 3 last week. So far I like it a lot. Still trying to get a handle on the Pultec E. Q. knobs..... the boost and attenuate at the same time thing. Any favorite settings??

" For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    RE: ARC system 2008/11/14 19:18:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Art1820m

Now it makes more sense I might of missed the part to place the microphone symmetrically. 1 more question,, does it matter what order you place the microphone after the mixing spot? for example, first would be were I mix in front of the monitors , then I would take the mic from the same position to the left , then to opposite right , then going backwards repeating the process.

Art, in your manual is a chart with numbers that will cover just about any room. They give you a few different room examples with the numbers 1-15 to show you where you would place the mic. Follow the chart, don't just do this whatever way you feel is best.

Dizzi: 16 placements is not enough unfortunately. Your best bet is 18 or higher. I didn't have the full correction I felt was actually "correct" until I went to 18 actually. I could have gone even further than that, but 18 seemed to give me what I was looking for. My biggest issue is bass in my room. I haven't noticed any harshness from ARC at this time, but it does alter the highs of my monitors...it just does so in a good way to my ears and it cuts away excess mid range congestion. You definitely have to make your measurements as precise as I've mentioned for best results. What brought me to these measurements was the way you are feeling right now. I got a bit of phase, I wasn't getting what I felt was true readings and I was ready to give up on the whole thing. It took me about 10 tries (maybe a few more) to get it right. I just did another correction last night actually.

I use an Adam sub 8 on all my monitors these days and did all my room corrections with it enabled. I wanted to see how ARC would compensate if I didn't have a sub. Well, it did a perfect job and to be honest, it compensated so well in fact, that I don't even need my sub! I made a new set of room corrections for each monitor which I called "Name of monitor no sub" just as a test. It is so accurate with my old tests that the only thing that changes is the "no sub" corrections have more bass in them due to ARC compensating. As soon as I kill the sub, it sounds just like the room corrections made WITH the sub. When I toggle between all the room correction sets I have and kill the sub when I'm supposed to, I honestly do not hear one bit of difference other than my ns-10's just sound like ass without a sub and not even ARC could help those. LOL!

It failed miserably correcting the NS-10's without the sub, I must confess. It literally pulled low end out from 200hz on down on the graph. Yet, all the others I corrected without the sub were perfect. Maybe I was getting tired and messed something up there. I will try to correct the Yams again with no sub. At that point though, I had corrected 4 sets of monitors (it takes roughly 40 minutes to do a set) and I was pretty stressed out from all the constant, in depth measurements. But all worked great other than the Yams. This could also be because I have them standing upright instead of laid down. I never liked the sound of them laid down, though it's the correct way to place them...so that could be what the deal is there. But they corrected perfectly with the sub being used. Anyway, try some of this stuff when you get a minute. Make sure your latency is as good as you can get it, really measure the stuff and be as accurate as possible, make sure you have the latest software update and do at least 18 measurements to the best of your ability. See if this helps some of your issues.

If the outcome is drastically different than what you currently have, it's safe to say one of your correction sessions was probably not done totally right. All mine that I have done since my 18 step rule and accurate mesaurements, have been exactly the same as the ones done in the past. Even the actual eq curve drawn on all the ones without the sub that I just did are identical to the ones with the sub other than ARC adding bass. The mids and highs are the same. So try it again and really put some time into your set up procedure just to see if it does indeed make a difference before you totally write ARC off. ;)

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Art1820m
    RE: ARC system 2008/12/29 06:09:11 (permalink)
    I am still having the pan more to the left, after the measurement. And one more thing, when clicking on the preference there is a (Enable Speaker Delay trimming) ,, what is this for? Do I need to have this on while mixing or no? Because it give more of a wider stereo Image, but also the signal goes to the left a lot..

Can anyone please help me with this

regards...

Intel Desktop From MARS, the planet ..  
    application: Sonar  version 8.5.3 PE

Samplitude Pro X
    sound card   Focusrite Scarlette

more of my stuff
    http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Artbluevibe
    gordonrussell76
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1879
    RE: ARC system 2008/12/29 06:36:25 (permalink)
    Mark the Measurements out on paper or do what i DId which was use Drawing pins pushed into my carpet, I laid out hte measurement pattern I wanted. THen I took a boom mic and set it so that the mic was directly above the end of 1 of the tripods feet (do this by teh simple expedient of using the mic cable like a piece of string hanging beneath the mic), adjust till its straight according to spirit level. ONce you have hte mic and boom stand aligned, its really simple you just move teh stand so that the tripod end is on the drawing pin, and is 90 degrees to your speakers and bingo accurate measurements.

I have expereienced no panning, the only other explanation might be if you have a really really asymetrical room, but I have an assymetrical room and the ARC massively improved my stereo image, not made it worse.

1 other thing, yes it will make your mix's sound very harsh, this is a good thing, the whole idea of a mix environment is that it should sound flat, we are not used to taht beucause most speakers are slightly biased towards warmth. However if you mix using ARC what you will find is that although the mix may sound harsh, and htat you have to really work hard to bring out the bass, when you turn it off, or bounce a mix and play it on other systems, suddenly your mix's sound really warm and lovely, becuase you have mixed them on a correctly referenced system. ps if you really can't stand the harsh sound try teh high end roll off preset which will calm things down a bit.

Hope that helps :)

G
    post edited by gordonrussell76 - 2008/12/29 06:38:29
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1