MIDI to Multiple Tracks: One Working Solution

Author
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
2008/12/12 10:58:26 (permalink)

MIDI to Multiple Tracks: One Working Solution

There have been many, many threads discussing the subject of MIDI 'sends', and having the ability in Sonar to output MIDI clips to multiple tracks. Given the amount of confusion and disinformation floating about, I thought that I'd put together some images of one solution that's been around for as long as these forums have.

All that's needed is a virtual MIDI cable, installed to your system. They're free (and freely available), download & install in seconds, and are easy to configure. Yet they are versatile enough to serve as the foundation for any number of unique configurations in Sonar, and fill in solutions that Sonar currently lacks. For example (not illustrated here), VMCs can be used to 'print' the output of drum maps to a parallel MIDI track.

Here's a few links to some virtual MIDI cable downloads.
Most feature multiple MIDI cables, defined by virtual MIDI ports, with each 'cable' containing 16 MIDI channels.

Maple Virtual MIDI Cable
LoopBe1
MIDI Yoke

Not a 'native' solution, you say? Neither is any other third-party plug-in device that doesn't ship with Sonar. That's the beauty of having an open architecture. Install once, and you're done. No need to re-install at upgrade time. It's just a patch cable: out-to-in; in-to-out. But you have many the advantages of hardware MIDI router, including 'mults' and isolation by MIDI channels & multiple ports.

In the image above, live keyboard input and/or resident MIDI clips are routed to three separate synths. It's also routed to 2 MIDI tracks; each containing an MFX plugin. In turn, the MFX processing is 'printed' to 2 more MIDI tracks in real-time. All of this happens over a single virtual MIDI cable.

In this image, the process is reversed. Six MIDI tracks of source clips are routed to a single synthesizer. In this case, the synth was set to multitimbral mode. The combined clip in the destination track maintains its MIDI 'channelization' in the recorded results. Again, this is all done over a single virtual MIDI cable, and accomplished in real-time.

12 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: MIDI to Multiple Tracks: One Working Solution 2008/12/12 11:26:44 (permalink)
    Nice work B Rock!

Best
    John
    Tom F
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2749
    RE: MIDI to Multiple Tracks: One Working Solution 2008/12/12 11:52:06 (permalink)
    very cool !
    thanks a lot for sharing that info

...trying to be polite... quick temper...trying to be...
    nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    RE: MIDI to Multiple Tracks: One Working Solution 2008/12/12 13:20:34 (permalink)
    Can they sticky this one at the top of the forum?

Nice work Mr. b.

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: MIDI to Multiple Tracks: One Working Solution 2008/12/12 15:13:01 (permalink)
    Nice job. Everyone appreciates colorful pictures! That virtual MIDI cable looks pretty neat, and a freebie to boot. (However, it's should be noted that the Maple Virtual MIDI Cable is not 64-bit compatible.)

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    b rock
    RE: MIDI to Multiple Tracks: One Working Solution 2008/12/13 15:51:41 (permalink)
    (However, it's should be noted that the Maple Virtual MIDI Cable is not 64-bit compatible.)
    Thanks. That's a good point to include here.

I should have also added a caution against having any 'source track' inputs set to All Inputs (Ports) - Omni. Just like audio, if you route a signal from an output back into it's input, you're going to get some unexpected results. A virtual MIDI cable in the system is the same as any other MIDI Port. If a track is sending data through its VMC output, and that same 'cable' is also fed into the track's input, MIDI feedback will be the result.

Most of these virtual MIDI cables take precautions against a runaway condition (i.e. they simply 'shut down'). However, some VMCs implement this much better than others do. I mention all this in case anyone runs into a situation where a routing just doesn't work properly. For much the same reason, some thought has to go into selecting 'VMC 1 - Omni'.

In the original post, I mentioned using virtual MIDI cables to 'print' the output of a drum map in real-time. I couldn't resist adding one more "colorful picture" to illustrate. In the image below, the VMC signal has been processed by a drum map, but with a twist: it's not destined for a drum synth/sampler, nor is it used in the 'intended' manner (whatever that means).

I built a custom drum map to invert the the entire range of MIDI note values, so that the results are recorded 'upside down'.
    Useful? Well, now you can use it in conjunction with the Retrograde process for those 12 tone serial compositions you've been dying to compose.

It's just an extreme illustration of using drum maps to record MIDI note processing & 'effects'. Of course, the same type of routing applies to standard applications of drum maps, as well as generating variations based around Step Sequencer usage.
    rpcomp
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: MIDI to Multiple Tracks: One Working Solution 2008/12/13 19:00:52 (permalink)
    I don’t want to sound like an idiot and I have only briefly read the original post. My question is this, would one of the virtual midi cables let me record multiple midi tracks from my Motif ES Rack to multiple audio tracks in one take. In other words could I record say Bass, Piano, Organ and Drums to 4 separate audio tracks in one take. At the moment I have to record one track at a time and things really get slow when it comes to drums. Kick, one take, snare one take etc. I have my fingers crossed.
    b rock
    RE: MIDI to Multiple Tracks: One Working Solution 2008/12/16 11:46:51 (permalink)
    would one of the virtual midi cables let me record multiple midi tracks from my Motif ES Rack to multiple audio tracks in one take.
    I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you're after here, but my first thought is: You don't need virtual MIDI cables for this.

I don't have a Motif ES rack module, but I am familiar enough with its features. I would think you'd be able to accomplish this with Multis (spanning 4 MIDI channels), and the assignable audio outputs. In Sonar, you'd record that to four audio tracks (assuming 4 free inputs on your audio interface).

In other words could I record say Bass, Piano, Organ and Drums to 4 separate audio tracks in one take.
    Do you mean the sounds from within the Motif ES rack itself? That'd be internal adjustments to the Motif feature set. Even if you mean soft-synths within Sonar, I'd think that a four-channel MIDI transmission setup in the Motif would be the way to go here.

things really get slow when it comes to drums. Kick, one take, snare one take etc. I have my fingers crossed.
    Unless I'm missing something peculiar to the Motif, these should all be triggered by specific MIDI note values.
    They'd be transmitted over a single MIDI channel (often, Ch. 10 by default).

There's another possibility here: You want your controller keyboard to trigger 4 MIDI channels at once, which in turn control the four sounds in a Motif Multi. If your controller keyboard features 'splits', you may be able to assign each keyboard 'region' to a different MIDI channel. If it doesn't, then I can see where a virtual MIDI cable can help you out. I can also see where you might want to re-route Motif-specific features (like the arpeggios).

At face value, I think that you have all that you need inside the Motif and a standard Sonar installation. If I've misinterpreted here, please let me know. It would help out a great deal if I knew exactly what was 'feeding' the Motif rack (a controller; multiple keyboards, MIDI tracks output from Sonar, etc.).
    p0d
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: RE: MIDI to Multiple Tracks: One Working Solution 2009/10/04 07:50:59 (permalink)
    Thanks b rock, I needed this today!

Couple of quick comments:
    In Sonar 5 you need to set the input echo 'on' for the midi channels with input from the virtual cable.

Also, LoopBe1 doesn't seem to work for me because it won't let me use inputs and outputs in the same application simultaneously. A pity as it looks like a well-maintained piece of software.

Maple works and can be found here http://www.maplemidi.com/Maple_driver.html
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    RE: MIDI to Multiple Tracks: One Working Solution 2009/10/04 13:04:31 (permalink)
    bitflipper

Nice job. Everyone appreciates colorful pictures! That virtual MIDI cable looks pretty neat, and a freebie to boot. (However, it's should be noted that the Maple Virtual MIDI Cable is not 64-bit compatible.)

Follow up question.  I'm 32 bit for now and may stay that way for several years, but I'll eventually move up, so I'd be reluctant to invest in the use of anything that won't be able to make the move.  Here's the question: do the new 32/64 compatibility features of 8.5 make this a non-issue?
    b rock
    RE: MIDI to Multiple Tracks: One Working Solution 2009/10/05 17:39:28 (permalink)
    I'm 32 bit for now and may stay that way for several years, but I'll eventually move up, so I'd be reluctant to invest in the use of anything that won't be able to make the move.
    I can understand that approach.  But in the interim, you'll be missing out on a lot of routing capability that Sonar doesn't have.  Virtual MIDI cables (I prefer the Maple VMC) have become my 'Swiss Army knife' for carving out features that wouldn't be possible otherwise.  FWIW:  It's a painless installation that takes a few seconds, it's free, and you'd have to re-install/image to a new system no matter what the bit depth was.
    do the new 32/64 compatibility features of 8.5 make this a non-issue?
    I can't speak to that from direct experience, but I think that I know where you're coming from here.  Since you're effectively adding virtual MIDI ports to your system, I don't believe that any host-specific features are going to help you out in this respect.  I imagine that you wouldn't get past the VMC installation on a 64-bit system; let alone be able to utilize that inside Sonar 8.5.

If it isn't available already, I'd speculate that some enterprising programmer is going to see the value of a 64-bit virtual MIDI cable.  The wide path will become 'mainstream' before too long.  Supply & demand.
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    RE: MIDI to Multiple Tracks: One Working Solution 2009/10/06 13:43:39 (permalink)
    b rock

I imagine that you wouldn't get past the VMC installation on a 64-bit system; let alone be able to utilize that inside Sonar 8.5.
    Well, I was thinking in particular of Bitbridge 2.0 and CW's claim:

"BitBridge technology extends the viability and use of your favorite VST plug-ins; ensures future compatibility of freeware, even for the most obscure, independently developed shareware plug-ins."

But I have been assuming that VMCs are VSTs, and that's probably incorrect, eh?
    If it isn't available already, I'd speculate that some enterprising programmer is going to see the value of a 64-bit virtual MIDI cable.  The wide path will become 'mainstream' before too long.  Supply & demand.

And wouldn't it be cool if that enterprising programmer worked at CW and made the capability integral to Sonar?
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: MIDI to Multiple Tracks: One Working Solution 2011/08/07 14:05:59 (permalink)
    An update to this oldie but goodie...

Virtual midi ports have moved on some since this thread too so don't use what is previously suggested here use this instead for both 64 bit and 32 bit flavours of windows, XP thru 7.

http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/loopMIDI.html

It is much more elegant than the older software featured in this thread.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1