What's a good sound card for a new computer with an old program?

Author
CuriousMuse
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2008/12/26 11:37:39 (permalink)

What's a good sound card for a new computer with an old program?

I have just recently upgraded my computer to something resembling 'Deep Thought'; you know, mega fast, mega memory, mega bucks. Any way, I am still using my old Home Studio 2004, and I thought that if I bought the Creative X-Fi that I would have mega sound. Well, I was suprised to find that the bugger will not share itself with Cakewalk, Media Player, iTunes etc. And! that what I am recording actually sounds worse (Kick drum sounding like a cardboard box) than what it did with my 8yr old sound blaster card. (Lost it big time with Creative!)
Question is: What is a good card that will allow me to connect my complex midi system together and give me what I want, ie, a relatively true sound?
Is this just a Vista problem with 2004, or is it a Creative X-Fi problem?
And yes, I have dotted all the T's and crossed all the I's as far as system requirements go. Been to lots of forums and done all the things I've read, and still no satisfaction.
So I'll leave it with you folks. Hope you have a solution for me.
Actually gone back to the old system. (Have the two networked together. But that does not make me a happy chappy. Paid $600 Australian. Disappointed!!!).
Cheers.

2 Replies Related Threads

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: What's a good sound card for a new computer with an old program? 2008/12/26 17:16:45 (permalink)
    kinda depends on your budget and requirements - ie how many simultaneous inputs etc. if you're a bedroom based recorder, doing your own guitar, vox, bass etc, as i do, then i'd recommend a PCI card like the emu 0404 or audiophile 2496, or delta 1010, and a small mixer like the soundcraft compact4. alternatively, get an interface like the edirol ua25 or fa66, if you can afford more then somethign like the focusrite saffire or motu ultra are great. if you're just doing midi, then get a 4x4 midi interface as well. personally i'm well happy with the cost v quality of my echo audiofire 2 and compact4 mixer, it is around £120 plus £60, and gives me the preamps and converter quality of a £300 motu for half the cost.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: What's a good sound card for a new computer with an old program? 2008/12/26 18:00:27 (permalink)
    look at my website for recommendations.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1